Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

So you accept not everybody goes to hospital when a doctor advises them to?
    I thought you said they were desperate to get into hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,864 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Ficheall wrote: »
    I thought you said they were desperate to get into hospital?

Apparently only when RTE scares them and after they have bought bread and toilet rolls.

You couldn't make the twisting and turning up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Outbreak of the Brazlian variant it seems with an NHL team in Vancounver.

https://twitter.com/TSNHockey/status/1378210851698642946

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Absolutely slanders vaccination as a solution and then speculates that poor uptake in the population might delay our country's exit from lockdown. You couldn't make it up.

I'm sick of these melancholic misery peddlers.

The scientists at NPHET with their own editorials now.

It was two bit economists getting undue exposure a decade ago and now it's the turn of two bit "health officials"..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

jackboy wrote: »
    Not really, I am talking about NPHET statements.

Masks don’t work then masks must be compulsory.

Vaccines will end the pandemic then vaccines won’t end the pandemic.[/QUO

I must say I never heard anyone claim the 'vaccines will end the pandemic' nor would I expect to.
    What I did hear was that mass vaccination would offer a good chance of reducing death and serious illness ,enabling a gradual return to more normal modes of living -but that caution would still be needed for some time .
    We need to avoid extreme overblown claims and slogans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

boardise wrote: »
    I must say I never heard anyone claim the 'vaccines will end the pandemic' nor would I expect to.
    This forum, at least, has had loads of people claiming exactly that..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

boardise wrote: »
    We need to avoid extreme overblown claims and slogans.

That is how NPHET have behaved for the last year. Almost nothing has been explained in a clear honest way. Instead they have tried to manipulate us with exaggerations and sometimes with dubious claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Jaysus.

The US has blocked production of the Oxford AstraZeneca jab at a compromised manufacturing plant in Baltimore after a mix-up ruined 15 million doses of another vaccine.

Johnson & Johnson, the American drugmaker, will take charge of the factory after a sub-contractor spoiled millions of doses of their vaccine.

Emergent BioSolutions accidentally mixed up the ingredients with those for the vaccine made by the Anglo-Swedish firm AstraZeneca which was developed in partnership with Oxford University.

The move by the Biden administration is designed to stop any further risk of contamination at the plant and means that no more AstraZeneca jabs can be produced there.

The mistake meant that some 15 million doses of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine were contaminated, although this was caught before any of the affected doses were packaged or shipped. However, the US government has since decided that Johnson & Johnson should take control of the Baltimore plant to avoid any further mishaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

In the Sunday Indo, Maeve Sheehan wrote that, in Enniscorthy, two gardaí attended, before the ambulance arrived, to a patient who had a suspected heart attack and began CPR and administered mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.

The GRA said that the gardaí were told later that evening that the patient had Covid and that they had been dangerously exposed to it. The patient later died.

Does An Garda Síochána not have HypaGuard face shields, which can be used for mouth-to-mouth resuscitation? I've seen those shields being used for resuscitation on The Bill.

https://www.safetyfirstaid.co.uk/cpr/hypaguard-face-shielda501/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

In the Sunday Indo, Maeve Sheehan wrote that, in Enniscorthy, two gardaí attended, before the ambulance arrived, to a patient who had a suspected heart attack and began CPR and administered mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.

The GRA said that the gardaí were told later that evening that the patient had Covid and that they had been dangerously exposed to it. The patient later died.

Does An Garda Síochána not have HypaGuard face shields, which can be used for mouth-to-mouth resuscitation? I've seen those shields being used for resuscitation on The Bill.

https://www.safetyfirstaid.co.uk/cpr/hypaguard-face-shielda501/

That’s really strange- I understood mouth to mouth was no longer part of CPR and that it was compressions only? Last 2 refresher first aid courses I did, that’s what we were taught.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

They may have had them but like everything else in this country they were probably stopped to save money.

I'd love to get the figure of how much we are paying public servants whose only job is to find ways to cut costs on the public sector. I'd suspect they are being paid more than their cost cutting saves.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

eagle eye wrote: »
    NPHET are scientists and medical professionals whose job is to study data and make math based recommendations.

They don't rule the country, the government do that.

Any issues you have with lockdowns, masks etc. should be directed at the decision makers not advisers.

Remember on a couple of occasions when Varadkar and Martin ignored the advice from NPHET and how bad things got?

Shouldn’t have to be pointed out again but NPHET have been calling for mandatory quarantine since last May and retroactive contact tracing since August.

Both have been ignored until very recently. Yet some spoofers here want to peddle the nonsense that NPHET are the ones running the country.

They fall for the bull**** from the government because they hide behind NPHET’s recommendations when it suits them instead of actively working with them.

This idea that NPHET love the spotlight is bollocks as well. Both Ronan Glynn and Philip Nolan have made it very clear they’re both fed up with this.

However that would require the nay-sayers here to actually watch the briefings but they don’t, instead they try to whip people up into a frenzy by taking quotes from the likes of Ronan Glynn completely out of context.

When they realise just how out of context it is, they’ll blame the media but will do it all again because they can’t be arsed listening to what they have to say themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

457 new cases
    3 deaths

No swab data on Sundays so don't know if numbers are good or bad or backlog

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

eigrod wrote: »
    That’s really strange- I understood mouth to mouth was no longer part of CPR and that it was compressions only? Last 2 refresher first aid courses I did, that’s what we were taught.

Huh? Apart from keeping the heart going, the main reason for CPR is to prevent loss of oxygen to the brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Galwayhurl wrote: »
    Huh? Apart from keeping the heart going, the main reason for CPR is to prevent loss of oxygen to the brain.

Think I heard the same thing (possibly in relation to the George Floyd case)

Maybe chest compressions alone are sufficient for pumping heart AND pumping lungs ???

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Galwayhurl wrote: »

That’s correct mouth to mouth resuscitation is no longer deemed necessary/ part of CPR courses. It was when I first did it 15 years ago, but no longer. I was actually surprised by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Good weekly progress.

7-day average in cases 520 it was 570 last Sunday.

7 day average in reported deaths is 7 it was 11 last Sunday.

80 fewer in hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Numbers staying stable despite people meeting outdoors for weeks now . Good news .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

457 new cases
    3 deaths

No swab data on Sundays so don't know if numbers are good or bad or backlog

No breakdown on county basis not even top six for second day running

Something definitely up there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Cork2021

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Trying not to keep counties banging the regional restrictions drum.....
    I’ve eaten too much ****e today

• Registered Users Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'd say there is a skeleton staff on due to the Easter holidays. Like the period between Christmas and New Years, wouldn't be surprised to see case numbers and data fluctuating or lacking next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Effect of vaccination wil hopefully become more apparent in the next few weeks/months.

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1378740925971587073

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

funnydoggy wrote: »
    So ****ing annoyed. Down at Blackrock Village at the Marina in Cork earlier enjoying nice weather, coffee and a lovely buzz. Not busy, everyone sitting spaced out in great form enjoying themselves. Three lads busking, playing nice chilled out music. An ideal mid-day treat.

Then two guards came along and moved them on. Killed the atmosphere immediately and lots of people went away.

Livid. I know they've got a job to do too but it's still really annoying. They went after the low hanging fruit today IMO

Lovely buzz everyone spaced out you say? Blackrock is it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

You can get yesterday's county figures on the covid tracker app. Dublin 245, Cork 36, Kildare 23, Laois 20......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Lovely buzz everyone spaced out you say? Blackrock is it

Yeah, Blackrock in Cork. Was genuinely nice!

Edit: I just got it hahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

vienne86 wrote: »
    You can get yesterday's county figures on the covid tracker app. Dublin 245, Cork 36, Kildare 23, Laois 20......
    I think the last county update was Friday,nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,777 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Yes why no county breakdown because low counties will want more lifting of lockdown restrictions, as Dublin and other Leinster counties highest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,864 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Yes why no county breakdown because low counties will want more lifting of lockdown restrictions, as Dublin and other Leinster counties highest

More to do with it being an extra long bank holiday weekend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement