Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Jaysus, talking about COVID on reddit is some event. You get all sides attacking you at once :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Not sure if the hospital figures were posted, I think it was just updated this morning:

Hospital: 250 (+15)
    ICU: 56 (-5)
    2 Deaths in ICU

This time Last week:
    Hospital: 328
    ICU: 68

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Eod100 wrote: »
    Would be great to get to 30k every day once supply ramps up. Even better when it's 1 dose J and J. https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1379016497335504905?s=19

Anyone know a bit more about J and J vaccine? I saw a video online(not sure it is real) and it looks like you can fling the vaccine out?! I use that word flippantly.... I saw people rocking up to a car park in the US, not even getting out of the car and getting a jab through the window? 5 minute job like?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Anyone know a bit more about J and J vaccine? I saw a video online(not sure it is real) and it looks like you can fling the vaccine out?! I use that word flippantly.... I saw people rocking up to a car park in the US, not even getting out of the car and getting a jab through the window? 5 minute job like?!

When are we expected to see J and J here?

They always throw that threat around. Which is why sympathy for them is so low in general.

Some analysts suggested this is what government wanted - teachers go on strike rather than govt closing schools....Considering only 6/7 weeks left in school year seems a bit silly to be re opening all of them....

• Advertisement

Late April but ya never know with so many stories doing the rounds on newspapers...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I think its the 19th April

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Mother in law got her jab through car window at her GP surgery, its not a J&J thing, guess its simple logistics of how the site is set up. Once jabbed you have to park and wait on site for 15 minutes.

The issue apparently is people turning up too early and therefore lack of room at the car park as they park up to wait their turn in spaces needed for those who have been jabbed and need to wait the 15 mins.

Would work fine if space permits...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Some analysts suggested this is what government wanted - teachers go on strike rather than govt closing schools....Considering only 6/7 weeks left in school year seems a bit silly to be re opening all of them....

You really believe that any politician wants the chaos and controversy of last year's leaving cert playing out for April and May all over again?
    I don't think so..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Not sure if the hospital figures were posted, I think it was just updated this morning:

Hospital: 250 (+15)
    ICU: 56 (-5)
    2 Deaths in ICU

This time Last week:
    Hospital: 328
    ICU: 68

Good numbers for a Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

First batch being delivered on the 19th I believe.

I fully believe they’ll hold J&J back for the age cohorts. If they really want to have them done in July then it makes sense. The vulnerables will get their AZ first dose this month and their second by the end of July, so everyone will be done then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Teacher's unions very quick now to call teachers front line workers. Funny they weren't that when they wanted schools closed during previous outbreaks. Doctors, nurses, carers, shop workers, delivery workers, gardai, firefighters, etc had no such luxury. They are front line workers to a far greater extent than teachers.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Teacher's unions very quick now to call teachers front line workers. Funny they weren't that when they wanted schools closed during previous outbreaks. Doctors, nurses, carers, shop workers, delivery workers, gardai, firefighters, etc had no such luxury. They are front line workers to a far greater extent than teachers.

Teacher’s are absolutely frontline. Nobody can deny that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Just over 1 out of 8 people in Ireland with one dose

Just over 1 out of 20 people in Ireland fully vaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Just over 1 out of 8 people in Ireland with one dose

Just over 1 out of 20 people in Ireland fully vaccinated

Over three months in. I hope to god we get the promised supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The cynic in me thinks teachers want priority because they see international summer travel bring much freer for those vaccinated.

Teachers should not get priority. Leave them strike, it will save on the wage bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Faugheen wrote: »

But my point is that they are selectively front line, i.e. when case numbers rise they get taken off the front line which isn't true of the other professions I mentioned. Hence I think their case is weaker than those other professions yet their unions make the most noise. No one really fighting for the rights of the minimum wage checkout girl in Tesco who worked from March 2020 to August 2020 and Jan 2021 to March 2021 when teachers didn't.

Yeah, it's pretty much impossible to have a normal conversation about teachers when so many people hate them from their time in school and because of jealousy over holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Teacher's striking in the middle of a pandemic to get the vaccine ahead of others more at risk due to age is a very bad look.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The cynic in me thinks teachers want priority because they see international summer travel bring much freer for those vaccinated.

Teachers should not get priority. Leave them strike, it will save on the wage bill.
    Imagine thinking that all teachers have secret meetings about summer travel during a pandemic.
    As regards them being frontline workers, they never were up until this pandemic but they've been put in that position by the government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Faugheen wrote: »

My definition of front line wouldn't include teachers.

Front line: known or suspected cases get sent to you.
    Not front line: known or suspected cases get sent away from you.

Not being classed as front line doesn't denigrate your job or it's importance, but someone who spent the majority of the pandemic zooming from their couch can hardly be classed the same as people who intubated infected patients

They are frontline once they're back in school.

I doubt many of ye would be willing to get off your couch and go into a classroom with a bunch of kids not giving a feck in the middle of a pandemic. Be honest. Would you go teach, and expose yourself to so many people? They're either at more risk or they're not. And they're some of the worst people to have infected for spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭appledrop

ceegee wrote: »
    My definition of front line wouldn't include teachers.

Front line: known or suspected cases get sent to you.
    Not front line: known or suspected cases get sent away from you.

Not being classed as front line doesn't denigrate your job or it's importance, but someone who spent the majority of the pandemic zooming from their couch can hardly be classed the same as people who intubated infected patients

And what about 2nd lockdown when teachers were in classroom teaching? Where they front line then in your eyes? No one remembers that of course, or the fact that after Easter will be back in classes with 25+ people with no masks in primary school.

But sure yeah all just stayed on couch on Zoom.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

MD1990 wrote: »
    Teacher's striking in the middle of a pandemic to get the vaccine ahead of others more at risk due to age is a very bad look.

They will need to organise the strike very quickly before they go on their summer holliers.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

That's more than cynicism, it's tinfoil hat territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,305 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Turtwig wrote: »
    Are the teachers actually threatening strike over this or is it just the media posing the question and the spokesperson being unable to rule out the possibility?

They are tabling motions for action at their annual conferences this week. So they are absolutely mobilizing for strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

They are frontline once they're back in school.

I doubt many of ye would be willing to get off your couch and go into a classroom with a bunch of kids not giving a feck in the middle of a pandemic. Be honest. Would you go teach, and expose yourself to so many people? They're either at more risk or they're not. And they're some of the worst people to have infected for spread.

We should expect teachers to look beyond that simplistic thinking though. The problem is, that as a group, through their unions, the take the above flawed and selfish thinking.
    The bottom line is that age still overwhelmingly determines the risk. Not lines like a bunch of kids not giving a feck.
    Teachers misreading the wider mood on this one, but nothing new there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

If I was a 28 year old teacher I would be absolutely mortified if I got the vaccine before own family members who are far more vulnerable and far more at risk .
    It could down to that if teachers are prioritised .

Bit of a departure from your posts last year.
    Do they think that Schools is some magic place where the virus wont spread.

Teachers over 50 must be concerned seems there are under big pressure to go back.
    It makes no sense to not allow people go the sports events outdoors up to 19 times less risk but schools are going back where the virus will spread the only question is how bady it will go wrong..

They aren't saving lives going back in a pandemic. People will die because of the schools reopening, and they are just as dangerous as when you pointed it out last year.

But yeah, screw them. They get summer holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

eagle eye wrote: »
    Imagine thinking that all teachers have secret meetings about summer travel during a pandemic.
    As regards them being frontline workers, they never were up until this pandemic but they've been put in that position by the government.

Not meeting about it but given the way I know how these workplaces are, is incredibly naive to think that these discussions aren't happening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement