Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭appledrop

What's even more shocking is that SNAs and teachers in special schools especially are not receiving priority.

The positivity rates here are much higher but sure you won't here that on rte news.

Remember the push to open special schools and promises made to keep SNA's safe.

All a lot of lies, once they got them open government backtracked on it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

appledrop wrote: »
    And what about 2nd lockdown when teachers were in classroom teaching? Where they front line then in your eyes? No one remembers that of course, or the fact that after Easter will be back in classes with 25+ people with no masks in primary school.

But sure yeah all just stayed on couch on Zoom.

Unlike people actually working on the front line, there doesn't seem to be any data to show a greater rate of hospitalisation or deaths among teachers compared to the general public. Presumably if this data did exist the unions would be screaming it from the roof tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,305 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Teachers once again showing the mé féin attitude. Setting a poor example for the kids they teach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Based on the previous approach, were teachers even going to be vaccinated before they finished up for the summer? If not, then it doesn't matter as come September every adult should most likely have a vaccine anyways based on current projections. So they would be vaccinated by the time they are back after the summer.

I've 3 mates who are teachers and they didn't think they were to be done before finishing up. 1 is late 20s and 2 early 30s. Was talking to 2 this morning who are in the same kip of a school in Finglas. And both said there was no way they would get done ahead of their parents. Both are in ASTI and would usually waffle on about teacher this and teacher that. But neither seem to support being pushed ahead of older people who would be at higher risk. So wonder who is pushing this. Could be just unions trying to posture their importance rather than individual teachers pushing for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

What's even more shocking is that SNAs and teachers in special schools especially are not receiving priority.

The positivity rates here are much higher but sure you won't here that on rte news.

I think most people would have no issue with SNAs or teachers getting priority due to the increased contact with vulnerable children. But the unions won't argue for just them to get priority as it won't appease the bulk of their members.
    If teachers are prioritised it would probably be mid May by the time they are started. How can the ASTI justify getting prioritised when they'd already be at home by the time any protection kicked in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,305 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Based on the previous approach, were teachers even going to be vaccinated before they finished up for the summer? If not, then it doesn't matter as come September every adult should most likely have a vaccine anyways based on current projections. So they would be vaccinated by the time they are back after the summer.

I've 3 mates who are teachers and they didn't think they were to be done before finishing up. 1 is late 20s and 2 early 30s. Was talking to 2 this morning who are in the same kip of a school in Finglas. And both said there was no way they would get done ahead of their parents. Both are in ASTI and would usually waffle on about teacher this and teacher that. But neither seem to support being pushed ahead of older people who would be at higher risk. So wonder who is pushing this. Could be just unions trying to posture their importance rather than individual teachers pushing for it.

We'll see how they vote in the motions this week at their conferences. Don't be surprised if a majority of teachers vote for industrial action.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Not meeting about it but given the way I know how these workplaces are, is incredibly naive to think that these discussions aren't happening.
    Lol, it's ridiculous to think that anybody is thinking about that.
    I'm sure there's many concerned about their health and wanting a vaccine as soon as possible but thinking about holidays is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Another doom merchant GP being quoted on RTÉ regarding variants

These people seem adamant in closing down and isolating our country for perpetuity

No basis for the hype other than hearsay and 5th hand anecdotes

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

It's no coincidence that in this thread the very same posters who wanted schools to remain open at all costs and regularly shouted that teachers should be made to go in to schools and irrespective of case numbers - are also now the same posters who do not want school staff to retain the place they were originally given in the vaccine cohorts! Chip, shoulder and agenda are all words that spring to mind here!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Not meeting about it but given the way I know how these workplaces are, is incredibly naive to think that these discussions aren't happening.

No different to any workplace, for goodness sake. Travel is not a priority for most teachers.

You seem to have a very fixed view of what the psyche of all teachers is.

• Advertisement

Another doom merchant GP being quoted on RTÉ regarding variants

These people seem adamant in closing down and isolating our country for perpetuity

I don't listen to RTE but doom merchant GP?
    What did he say that you didn't like?
    What qualifications have you got which qualifies you to say there is no basis for his comments?
    I see posts like yours on every page so I'm asking for details this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭AxleAddict

A bit like this forum then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't listen to RTE but doom merchant GP?
    What did he say that you didn't like?
    What qualifications have you got which qualifies you to say there is no basis for his comments?
    I see posts like yours on every page so I'm asking for details this time.

Spouting rubbish about new variants by the sound of things.

Nobody was flagging new variants as a major issue until it suited them at Christmas when their (NPHET and government) collective incompetence lead to an enormous spike in cases.

The best thing these people can do now is shut up about new variants until if they become a problem.

When I watch the UK news they are spreading positivity instead of constantly going on with this new variant rubbish.

JP100 wrote: »
    It's no coincidence in this thread that the very same posters who wanted schools to remain open at all costs and regularly shouted that teachers should be made to go in to schools and irrespective of case numbers - are also now the same posters who do not want school staff to retain the place they were originally given in the vaccine cohorts! Chip, shoulder and agenda are all words that spring to mind here!

What was the original place? Mid to end of May wasn't it?

I don't give a ****e what teachers do or don't do. But if any vaccine protection was only going to kick in when teachers were already finished for the summer, i.e. June. I don't see why at this stage they should be prioritized as a specific group which could result in a lot of younger teachers vaccinated before older people at more risk in society as a whole. The argument of being in front of 30 kids doesn't work when off for a few months and not in that environment. If it was July or August and teachers were heading back in a month or two, I'd agree with them prioritized. But it makes no sense based on the previous approach which has them vaccinated when the risk doesn't exist beyond the risk in the general community.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,454 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Spouting rubbish about new variants by the sound of things.

Nobody was flagging new variants as a major issue until it suited them at Christmas when their (NPHET and government) collective incompetence lead to an enormous spike in cases.

The best thing these people can do now is shut up about new variants until if they become a problem.

When I watch the UK news they are spreading positivity instead of constantly going on with this new variant rubbish.

Sky News

"COVID news – live: New UK variant detected as surge testing launched"

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-news-live-latest-uk-updates-people-urged-to-stick-to-lockdown-as-covid-infection-decline-slows-as-chancellor-faces-questions-over-budget-12235326

BBC

"What are the Brazil, South Africa and UK variants and will vaccines work?"

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55659820

Channel 4

"Six cases of Brazilian variant of Covid-19 found in the UK"

https://www.channel4.com/news/six-cases-of-brazilian-variant-of-covid-19-found-in-the-uk

I don't give a ****e what teachers do or don't do.

Your illogical ranting suggests otherwise. It also doesn't account for the fact that at primary schools run until the end of June and that many teachers/ SNAs/ school staff also work in schools in July as well. Ultimately, if school staff were good enough to be where they were previously in the vaccine allocation well they're good enough to be still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Bit of a departure from your posts last year.

They aren't saving lives going back in a pandemic. People will die because of the schools reopening, and they are just as dangerous as when you pointed it out last year.

But yeah, screw them. They get summer holidays.
    I don't get the screw them comment

where did I say that?

over 60s teachers will get the vaccine soon.

super market workers are more at risk. don't hear them going on strike

underpaid healthcare staff didn't go on strike either

Sky News

"COVID news – live: New UK variant detected as surge testing launched"

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-news-live-latest-uk-updates-people-urged-to-stick-to-lockdown-as-covid-infection-decline-slows-as-chancellor-faces-questions-over-budget-12235326

BBC

"What are the Brazil, South Africa and UK variants and will vaccines work?"

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55659820

Channel 4

"Six cases of Brazilian variant of Covid-19 found in the UK"

https://www.channel4.com/news/six-cases-of-brazilian-variant-of-covid-19-found-in-the-uk

What's your point? Those are a few random articles going back months. I don't hear Boris constantly going on about these variants or calling them a "new virus" etc.

One of those articles even plays down the UK variant as being 30% more transmissible.

The clowns here are still claiming there is a new virus 70% more transmissible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

MD1990 wrote: »

That's certainly not true. Teachers are in constant close contact with the same group of children for much of a day in a closed environment. I'm not a teacher but, after medical staff, they are the next most vulnerable front line workers. However, I agree with going by age as it is more efficient. If you decided on teachers, you would have all sorts of others (tutors, etc) looking for priority.

MD1990 wrote: »
    I don't get the screw them comment

where did I say that?

over 60s teachers will get the vaccine soon.

underpaid healthcare staff didn't go on strike either

Supermarket workers along with Gardai should be prioritised as well in a key worker category. As for the health care staff point - utterly irrelevant. Both teachers and health care staff were at work without a vaccine but those same health care staff are now vaccinated so your comparison doesn't hold up at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I'm a teacher and would not vote to be prioritised ahead of my parents. Infact if I was I'd send one of them in my place. However when teachers read about people who have somehow managed to get vaccinated ahead of people who are out working every day is it any wonder they are annoyed? The anger people are feeling should be directed at the government and their incompetence instead of at teachers. I will be attending Congress tomorrow and will vote against any strike motion. I am sure there are plenty of other teachers who feel the same as I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    I'm a teacher and would not vote to be prioritised ahead of my parents. Infact if I was I'd send one of them in my place. However when teachers read about people who have somehow managed to get vaccinated ahead of people who are out working every day is it any wonder they are annoyed? The anger people are feeling should be directed at the government and their incompetence instead of at teachers. I will be attending Congress tomorrow and will vote against any strike motion. I am sure there are plenty of other teachers who feel the same as I do.

Its not just teachers though who are annoyed about people in admin roles getting vaccinated ahead of them
    I personally know of three young men in HSE admin who never clap eyes on a patient being vaccinated before my 78 year old sister .
    I understand teachers and everyone else being right royally peed off about that

JP100 wrote: »
    Your illogical ranting suggests otherwise. It also doesn't account for the fact that at primary schools run until the end of June and that many teachers/ SNAs/ school staff also work in schools in July as well. Ultimately, if school staff were good enough to be where they were previously in the vaccine allocation well they're good enough to be still there.

What illogical thinking?

If the first teacher doesn't get vaccinated until May 31st for argument sake based on a priority group based system. Which is probably the time line based on supply. Then they probably won't have any protection from the vaccine until near the end of June. So by your logic, because primary schools run to end of June they should revert back to an priority group based approach? So a su set of teachers may have a few days or a week max of vaccine protection?

And you're also waffling on about July? There's **** all comparison between July in a school and the middle of February. Schools are no more risk in July for a teacher than what my profession is and I come into close but limited contact.

The argument from my teacher mates has been to protect family members as the reason they didn't want to be in school during peaks. That's grand and makes sense. But now by the same token they want the vaccine ahead of these older family members who they wanted to protect, who won't have a vaccine before them? Makes zero sense.

Age based approach makes more sense now. Take my mate for example, 27 years old and a teacher in Finglas. Should he get a vaccine before his heavily overweight aul lad that is in his late 60s? From talking with him today he doesn't agree with his union ASTI and said he wouldn't take one before his parents. Seems like a very logical answer from a teacher in a school that has lots of scumbags in his classes who don't give a crap about masks or social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Do we get swab numbers on a bank holiday?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,454 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

What's your point? Those are a few random articles going back months. I don't hear Boris constantly going on about these variants or calling them a "new virus" etc.

One of those articles even plays down the UK variant as being 30% more transmissible.

The clowns here are still claiming there is a new virus 70% more transmissible.

My point is you are being selective with your outrage of the government mentioning variants.

Here is Boris:

"Boris Johnson says some evidence new Covid variant in the UK may be more deadly"

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/22/boris-johnson-evidence-new-covid-variant-associated-with-higher-mortality-.html

And the German leader:

"Germany is “in a new pandemic” in which the British Covid variant is dominant, Angela Merkel has said,"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/23/merkel-germany-covid-british-variant-easter-lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

as an SNA we where promised priority for vaccines in order to get us back to work, which we then did. we work in absolute close contact with many students (me personally, i have 6 hour long classes a day with groups of 30 different students each hour). They have now changed their minds as they got us back in the door, a lot of us will be lucky to be vaccinated for the start of school next september, its an absolute ****ing joke.

Also the fact that gardai are in the same predicament as school staff is an absolute joke also

My point is you are being selective with your outrage of the government mentioning variants.

Here is Boris:

"Boris Johnson says some evidence new Covid variant in the UK may be more deadly"

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/22/boris-johnson-evidence-new-covid-variant-associated-with-higher-mortality-.html

And the German leader:

"Germany is “in a new pandemic” in which the British Covid variant is dominant, Angela Merkel has said,"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/23/merkel-germany-covid-british-variant-easter-lockdown

The Boris article is months old.

The Merkel article says they are having 5 quiet days over Easter and bars reopen April 18th.

Here is ireland we can't have any indication of when bars might open due to "new variants"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭User1998

Faugheen wrote: »
    Teacher’s are absolutely frontline. Nobody can deny that.

Essential, yes. Frontline, not a chance.

Here is ireland we can't have any indication of when bars might open due to "new variants"
    Because we view people's lives as more important than alcohol.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Because we view people's lives as more important than alcohol.

Rubbish. If that was the case we would restrict sales from off licences.

Bars are representative of people back in work, meeting friends, return to normality etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement