Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Anybody think that the vaccination rate in the UK is beginning to have a big effect here too?

We cannot deny our islands are inextricably linked and the flow of goods and people between us means we will be definitely seeing the benefits of the UKs vaccination success I think.

Let's hope it is real and we avoid a final wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Rubbish. If that was the case we would restrict sales from off licences.

Bars are representative of people back in work, meeting friends, return to normality etc.
    So you think off licenses should be shut?
    I have to say I'm against alcohol being sold in shops. An off license should be the only place to buy alcohol and you shouldn't be selling anything else there.

This pandemic is nearly over :)

If we hold these numbers and the EU can suppress the current wave.

Things could look magical by June.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭aziz

Ah you jinxed it,12 more months of lockdown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Numbers are looking good but the key is obviously the vaccines, they need to be ramped up and a maintained in a solid well supported distribution process... Then I feel it will be time to celebrate.

In fairness I have had it up to my teeth with all this **** and simply need it to look better not to go NUTS!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

Ally Dick wrote: »
    That's a Bank Holiday figure, when our lazy civil servants are off. The deaths will be about 30 tomorrow

Something wrong there. Some civil servants working to get the figure for you. I suppose you work bank holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭blowitupref

0 deaths
    320 cases
    (per Zara King Twitter)

No swabs today though, it seems

7-day average in cases 488, it was 573 last Monday

7 day average in reported deaths is 7, it was 12 last Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

People claiming teachers are the same as frontline hospital staff... I have seen it all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

crossman47 wrote: »
    Something wrong there. Some civil servants working to get the figure for you. I suppose you work bank holidays.

I would expect them to always have people available to produce such important information

• Advertisement

Does the Independent have to answer any questions about its wholly inaccurate reporting on the 'surge' in last weekends Sunday edition? Or can it just print whatever it wants to get buys and clicks?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

mloc123 wrote: »
    People claiming teachers are the same as frontline hospital staff... I have seen it all now.

There is going to be a vaccine passport, and holiday resorts will accept people who are fully vaccinated. Teachers want to be able to head off abroad in June. The ASTI and INTO will bully our thick government till they give in

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

They've been dropping for weeks, and hospital numbers are no longer a reason to hold the country to ransom.

Really! According to NPHET just a couple of weeks back we were in the midst of a surge! So much so that the government were confident in reopening feck all.

If we hold these numbers and the EU can suppress the current wave.

Things could look magical by June.

I would love it if you were right, but SAGE in the UK are talking about social distancing and masks until next year: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9437441/Life-WONT-return-normal-June-21-Covid-vaccines-arent-good-SAGE-warns.html

"SAGE warns life WON'T return to normal after 'the great unlocking' on June 21 and it could take until next YEAR because Covid vaccines aren't good enough"

Deaths and case numbers on the floor in the UK and still life can't go back to normal in the UK, according to SAGE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

7-day average in cases 488, it was 573 last Monday

7 day average in reported deaths is 7, it was 12 last Monday.

the deaths will stay down, as places nursing homes have been vaccinated for months now.

I'd say the cases are reduced because of the weekend, but the holiday weekend will cause an uptick in cases in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Does the Independent have to answer any questions about its wholly inaccurate reporting on the 'surge' in last weekends Sunday edition? Or can it just print whatever it wants to get buys and clicks?

I've always only ever considered it a coincidence if what the independent prints resembles actually factually verifiable news.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

Ally Dick wrote: »
    There is going to be a vaccine passport, and holiday resorts will accept people who are fully vaccinated. Teachers want to be able to head off abroad in June. The ASTI and INTO will bully our thick government till they give in

How will primary teachers go on holidays in June when they will be in the classroom for the entire month?

Things in UK going to change from 12 April

Whitty has said variants are not a significant enough threat to stop the move to opening
    Next stage of lockdown easing in England to go ahead on 12 April
    With the four tests for easing the lockdown in England met, the prime minister confirms the next stage of the roadmap for relaxing restrictions can go ahead.

This means that from 12 April:

Non-essential shops and close-contact services such as hairdressers and barbers can reopen
    Restaurants and pubs can start serving customers outdoors, with no requirement for a substantial meal to be served alongside alcohol, and no curfew. However, people will have to eat and drink while seated
    Gyms and spas can reopen, as can zoos, theme parks, libraries and community centres
    Members of the same household can take a holiday in England in self-contained accommodation
    Weddings attended by up to 15 people can take place
    The number of care home visitors allowed will increase to two per resident
    All children will be able to attend any indoor children's activity, including sport
    Parent and child groups of up to 15 people (not counting children aged under five years old) can restart indoors

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Messi19

Teachers won't be getting vaccinated ahead of time. That'd mean admitting that schools are not safe which won't happen. It's also not that far to the summer holidays so why vaccinate someone who's off work for 2 or 3 months. There's no fair way to get everyone vaccinated but the age cohorts is the most simplistic and speedy way of doing so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Outdoor transmission accounts for 0.1% of State’s Covid-19 cases
    via The Irish Times
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/outdoor-transmission-accounts-for-0-1-of-state-s-covid-19-cases-1.4529036

No surprise here....Open up more outdoor stuff for the love of God!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I don't know why they bothered reporting numbers today. Aren't they normally all over the place when it's a bank holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I don't know why they bothered reporting numbers today. Aren't they normally all over the place when it's a bank holiday.
    If they have testing data they report it, people would be more upset if they didn't. 5,7 and 14 day trends are what matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

Things in UK going to change from 12 April

Whitty has said variants are not a significant enough threat to stop the move to opening

My sentiments exactly. The covideers over here are clinging to new variants to keep their covid show on the road.

Messi19 wrote: »
    Teachers won't be getting vaccinated ahead of time. That'd mean admitting that schools are not safe which won't happen. It's also not that far to the summer holidays so why vaccinate someone who's off work for 2 or 3 months. There's no fair way to get everyone vaccinated but the age cohorts is the most simplistic and speedy way of doing so
    The message from Paul Reid is exactly the same tone he took with HCWs wanting to choose their vaccine. Teachers still imagine this is a whim of a political decision.

JP100 wrote: »
    Really! According to NPHET just a couple of weeks back we were in the midst of a surge! So much so that the government were confident in reopening feck all.

Where was this report from NPHET that we were in the midst of a surge?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

I cannot imagine that it will go down well with the public if the teachers strike

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Ger Roe wrote: »
    When did he say that?.

They have not been giving out trigger metrics since they were caught out badly with the relaxations brought in at Christmas. The mantra now is that there are no absolute numbers that will automatically result in any specific changes.
    https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/highlights-from-the-hard-shoulder/leo-varadkar-icu-numbers-to-be-below-50-before-we-reopen

BettyS wrote: »
    I cannot imagine that it will go down well with the public if the teachers strike
    They have steam to let off and they have been threatening to do so since last September

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

If they yield to the teachers, then the whole vaccine programme will fall apart. There will be a lot of debate and pushing to define a frontline worker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

BettyS wrote: »

They will strike for 1 day a month or maybe 1 day every 2 weeks. They won't want to lose any substantial pay over something that most of them must know is a selfish wish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement