Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭prunudo

Gael23 wrote: »

It would be nice, maybe one day, that they could reference why numbers rise over a weekend.
    Yes they are reporting facts but context is everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

kippy wrote: »
    In fairness, they could have avoided all of this by initially not travelling, or even after that, complying with Garda direction.
    The circumstances they find themselves in maybe, the utter vilification of them not so much. The former is of their making but the latter very badly reflects on those that do so. It does bring some very needed attention to the mandatory plan, especially when Donnelly and the DoH want to add half the world to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Interesting by population Israel have roughly the same number in hospital and about twice as many in ICU. Yet they're happy enough and ploughing ahead with re-opening. Really shows the benefit of a functional healthcare system.

Healthcare and an excellent infrastructure designed to cope with bioterrorism, as well as an integrated military capable of delivering material anywhere in the country rapidly. Plus a very pro-science attitude in the majority of the country.

Good read on how Israel's done it here: https://ijhpr.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13584-021-00440-6

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

is_that_so wrote: »
    The circumstances they find themselves in maybe, the utter vilification of them not so much. The former is of their making but the latter very badly reflects on those that do so. It does bring some very needed attention to the mandatory plan, especially when Donnelly and the DoH want to add half the world to it!

The mandatory quarantine plan is a good year too late and fairly back handed in its implementation.
    At the same time however you have two people show total disregard for their own health and that of their neighbours as well as the law in general. They have brought attention onto themselves and their livestyle, no one else.

Granted there are plenty that have gone overboard in their commentary on them but these are the times we life in.
    You don't want villification? Abide by the law/don't get yourself in the papers.
    I think that's a good life lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

TheDoctor wrote: »

Total went from 230 to 260 over the long weekend.

Better than I was expecting.

30 admissions over 4 days and little to no discharges.

That’s pretty impressive

• Advertisement

Gael23 wrote: »
    30 admissions over 4 days and little to no discharges.

That’s pretty impressive

It can be harder to get released at the weekend when people are off work. Would be surprised if there isn't a jump in releases now the bank holiday is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

261 this morning - should signal a good drop this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

A few of you mentioned bank holiday would have impact on hospital numbers? Can you clarify/elaborate? I am not being smart...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

BlondeBomb wrote: »
    261 this morning - should signal a good drop this week.

Why do you say that? Not being smart....What is your logic behind that comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Do you not think there is more to these 2 ? One doesn't have a job and lives in a 500k apartment in temple bar

They went to dubai with 10k each for cosmetic surgery. The cosmetic surgery didn't happen yet the cash is gone

It stinks .

But none have that has anything to do with covid or restrictions. I think it's not a case of people worrying about if restrictions were broken but wanted to find our what the gossip is, did they get the boobs done at all? How did they afford it? I find it a bit sad really. Pick up a copy of one of those gossip magazines if you want to read that muck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

No discharges over the weekend only admissions

Most patients get discharged on Thursdays from personal experience

• Registered Users Posts: 18,305 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Hospitals don't generally discharge patients over the weekend or on bank holidays. So the numbers would only go up at the weekend. Any patients ready to go home over the weekend will be discharged today/tomorrow which should see the numbers go down a bit.

Although those 1 million doses should almost all have been first doses.

This early second-dose strategy is an error in my view.

Better to have 1 million people with 80+% protection, than the system they've opted for with the second doses adding a marginal booster effect.

Then, we'd be at 20% of the population vaccinated and pretty much over the top of the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Have this mornings hospital numbers been released yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Very few discharges on weekends.

Looking at the last 8 days

32 27 31 22 26 6 5 6

This isn't as there's a massive disimprovement in conditions at the weekend. It's because they don't have as many doctors in at the weekend. If you are in a good condition at the weekend you are told wait til doctor x sees you on Monday and he will decide.

There's always a slight uptick in hospital numbers over the weekend.

A few of you mentioned bank holiday would have impact on hospital numbers? Can you clarify/elaborate? I am not being smart...

If you're in hospital past 6 on a Friday evening you're rarely gonna get out before Monday morning, Tuesday morning when it's a bank holiday. A lot of people working in hospitals are on fairly normal hours, including those who make the decision to discharge.

Fun little study here. If you're admitted to hospital on a Sunday you're more likely to die. But at the same time fewer deaths happen at the weekend, likely due to a combination of a higher rate of people who could be at home (but haven't been signed out) and fewer risky procedures done and fewer new interventions with drugs.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3284293/

Over the next while we should see ICU numbers as more important than hospital numbers. Usually all winter we have hundreds on trolleys and all the rest, with a reason to not have people in hospitals we've managed to avoid that this year (bed-blockers they're often called, complete failure in social care is the more empathetic description) so I wonder as the peak gets further into the past will we see more people going to hospital who when the hospitals were "full" would have been told "Eh yeah, you're fine, call us if you're actually breathless at some point".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Vicxas wrote: »
    Have this mornings hospital numbers been released yet?

They are available here https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/covid19-daily-operations-update-2000-05-april-2021.pdf

263 in hospital, 55 of which in ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

There is none.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

thebiglad wrote: »

That is last night’s. Given long weekend, perhaps more discharges this morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Rosita

Sammy2012 wrote: »

I'm a teacher and would not vote to be prioritised ahead of my parents.

False specious dichotomy in all fairness. You won't be asked to vote between teachers and your parents. By the time they get teachers vaccinated (if they did decide to do so), at current pace, unless your parents are under 40 any conflict probably won't arise.

There are two simple points: 1) if schools really are essential then teachers are essential workers (and education is deemed an essential service on gov.ie, and 2) don't say you're going to do it (vaccinate groups of workers) if you're not going to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭celt262

Rosita wrote: »
    False specious dichotomy in all fairness. You won't be asked to vote between teachers and your parents. By the time they get teachers vaccinated (if they did decide to do so), at current pace, unless your parents are under 40 any conflict probably won't arise.

There are two simple points: 1) if schools really are essential then teachers are essential workers (and education is deemed an essential service on gov.ie, and 2) don't say you're going to do it (vaccinate groups of workers) if you're not going to do so.

The only real issue here is that non-vaccination of teachers will likely mean any prospect of teachers and students going back in September to an unmasked non-social distancing environment is gone. For all concerned that would be a pity and a chance missed.

Well if students are not jabbed there will be masks.

Teachers will have all got vaccine by September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

The only real issue here is that non-vaccination of teachers will likely mean any prospect of teachers and students going back in September to an unmasked non-social distancing environment is gone. For all concerned that would be a pity and a chance missed.

You really think teachers won't have had their first dose of AZ by September? And by that I mean along with everyone else in the 18-55 cohort?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That is last night’s. Given long weekend, perhaps more discharges this morning?
    Look out for Fergal Bowers or Paul Reid on Twitter. Reid tends to give regular updates.

JDD wrote: »
    You really think teachers won't have had their first dose of AZ by September? And by that I mean along with everyone else in the 18-55 cohort?

I never said that. Never made any prediction. I just speculated on the possible situation if teachers weren't vaccinated. Based on what has transpired up to now I avoid all predictions about vaccinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭celt262

I never said that. Never made any prediction. I just speculated on the possible situation if teachers weren't vaccinated. Based on what has transpired up to now I avoid all predictions about vaccinations.

You seem to be predicting that they wont be vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

No point in speculating about September then. Its way too far away to be concerned about.

No reason why vaccines won't be freely available, we will do close to 1m vaccinations this month and more suppliers coming on stream, you are speculating about what might happen in a highly improbable scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

is_that_so wrote: »

Exactly this, if found to have been some sort of criminal intent for the reason of ther trip so be it criminal proceedings will come in time.
    My interest in the case is solely in relation to mhq, rushed laws are just as much a danger to all even if they don't realise it.

No point in speculating about September then. Its way too far away to be concerned about.

Good point. I have edited my original post accordingly.

• Advertisement

celt262 wrote: »
    You seem to be predicting that they wont be vaccinated.

I have withdrawn the offending material so we can move on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement