Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

Turtwig wrote: »
    The number of outdoor cases linked is far too low imo and points more to our failure in detecting them than a reflection of their actual rate of occurrence.

Outdoors is lowest risk. Both government and businesses had a year to try it out and then we'd better know the risk. As it stands we're kind of blind. Given our current disease profile it's a bit of gamble until more people are vaccinated. One for which our safety net is marginal. You have to factor in too by allowing more people to meet up for dining etc you risk opportunities for spread by accident. Even if these are marginal. We're on a very fine margin as it is.

I think the presentation by Leo was reasonable. Accelerating that even further is tough one imo.

I'm sure teenagers are always going to go shifting each other - but that's already happening now in Level 5 - and they're going to do it indoors and out regardless. But there is no longer valid reason to keep outdoors restricted for everyone at this point. It's done. Over. We need to begin moving forward.

The number of outdoor cases is not low because of a lack of research - it's low because it's extremely safe to be outdoors.

Wear a mask and maintain distancing - by all means - but don't prevent what we know to be safe for no valid reason. Enough damage has already been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,867 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The AZ-Oxford vaccine has the same risk of blood clots as Pfizer; but one is widely advertised as dangerous and the other not.

The AZ-Oxford vaccine is produced and sold at cost, whereas Pfizer is charging a very hefty fee in comparison.

There are both economic and political benefits to smash asunder the AZ-Oxford vaccine.

Any details on the link between Pfizer and clots?

The AZ-Oxford vaccine has the same risk of blood clots as Pfizer; but one is widely advertised as dangerous and the other not.

The AZ-Oxford vaccine is produced and sold at cost, whereas Pfizer is charging a very hefty fee in comparison.

There are both economic and political benefits to smash asunder the AZ-Oxford vaccine.

It's the one I'm hoping for. I want the AZ-Oxford vaccine when it's my turn.

It's also the one the third world will be getting - and if it's the one they're all getting then I want them to know that we're not just sending them rubbish.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Any details on the link between Pfizer and clots?

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

This is a very false and misleading statement.

The issue with AZ is a potentially very rare specific disorder that can be fatal. To date there are no known cases of this type associated with Pfizer. Certainly not enough to raise a safety signal. The risk at present does not appear to exist for any other vaccine than AZ. We don't even know if there's a casual connection with either.

Neither vaccine is advertised as widely dangerous. AZ just may be issued with more specific guidance in relation to certain cohorts.
    We'll have to wait for further guidance from the EMA and MHRA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Good to see cases in NI being very low

https://twitter.com/healthdpt/status/1379420677053222913

Turtwig wrote: »
    This is a very false and misleading statement.

The issue with AZ is a potentially very rare specific disorder that can be fatal. To date there are no known cases of this type associated with Pfizer. Certainly not enough to raise a safety signal. The risk at present does not appear to exist for any other vaccine than AZ. We don't even know if there's a casual connection with either.

Neither vaccine is advertised as widely dangerous. AZ just may be issued with more specific guidance in relation to certain cohorts.
    We'll have to wait for further guidance from the EMA and MHRA.

Ye that op was a bit too black-and-white about it all but there is definitely a bit of politics mixed into all this.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Outdoors is safer, but it's still not safe?
    The HSE's Chief Clinical Officer has said data showing that only 0.1% of Covid-19 cases come from outdoor transmission is "misleading" in terms of the numbers as it only relates to recorded outbreaks.

Dr Colm Henry said other scenarios in which people might have acquired the virus are not taken into account in the figures from the Health Protection Surveillance Centre.

He said it does not include all the activities that are associated with outdoor activities including changing rooms or travelling to and from activities.

The data, reported in the Irish Times yesterday, shows that just one confirmed case of Covid-19 in every thousand is traced to outdoor transmission.

Speaking to RTÉ's News at One Dr Henry said: "The message that does come across from this data is that in the purest sense, when people adhere to social distancing and other Covid measures, outdoor transmission is 19/20 times less likely that indoor transmission."

When asked if this latest data could see the speeding up of restrictions outdoors he said it's "ultimately up the Government".

He said outdoor activities are safer but public health advice is that situations associated with those activities, where people congregate together, can transmit the disease.

Dr Henry added: "We can't drop our guard at anytime".

And from the same article, it appears we are not utilising everyone possible for vaccines
    Speaking on the same programme, the Covid-19 advisor to the Irish College of GPs, Dr Mary Favier, called for "greater agility" and "flexibility" in the recruitment of vaccinators in Ireland's Covid-19 vaccination programme.

Dr Favier said she is aware of "many" retired GPs who "have met all types of obstacles" in the bid to become a vaccinator of the Covid-19 jab.

She said "all rigid structures" need to be "put aside" as the country takes part what she said should be a "national effort".

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0406/1208074-coronavirus-ireland/

Stheno wrote: »

And from the same article, it appears we are not utilising everyone possible for vaccines

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0406/1208074-coronavirus-ireland/

He says that outdoor activities are safer but says associated activities like changing rooms are not? I hate this type of obfuscation. Piling into changing rooms would be an indoor activity in my mind - and also a stupid thing to partake in. And anyway, I don't pile into changing rooms when I'm meeting friends for a nice, safe picnic. I'm sure even GAA heads could probably wait to get home to shower if they were asked politely.

This is not an excuse in my book. If the outdoors is safe then allow it - albeit under instruction of banning associated activities like changing rooms if it makes them feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Stheno wrote: »
    I thought he was being very clear in the article tbh.

A very small amount of cases are a result of two people sitting in a field together having coffees. It's everything around it that can lead to an increase; lads sharing a car to go play or watch a match; people sharing dressing rooms & toilets; etc.

One can suggest that outdoor dining seems like an obvious one to open up, but you still have the issue of sharnig of toilets and staff sharing indoor facilities.

That said, most restaurants have continued to offer takeaway through level 5, so outdoor dining won't create many extra staff in the kitchen.

What this data should do in addition to the government measures, is inform the Garda response. Less worrying about busy parks, takeaway pints and gangs of teenagers, more worrying about non-essential business bringing in workers to the office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭giveitholly

He says that outdoor activities are safer but says associated activities like changing rooms are not? I hate this type of obfuscation. Piling into changing rooms would be an indoor activity in my mind - and also a stupid thing to partake in. And anyway, I don't pile into changing rooms when I'm meeting friends for a nice, safe picnic. I'm sure even GAA heads could probably wait to get home to shower if they were asked politely.

This is not an excuse in my book. If the outdoors is safe then allow it - albeit under instruction of banning associated activities like changing rooms if it makes them feel better.

Can't speak for any other team sports but Gaa teams togged out in their cars for training and matches last year,no dressing rooms were open

Can't speak for any other team sports but Gaa teams togged out in their cars for training and matches last year,no dressing rooms were open

Slightly off-topic but apparently even Premier League footballers no longer use changing facilities in the same way - they all shower at home after training and matches and all have single rooms now in hotels for away matches (if hotels are required).

Back on topic though... so it can be done again if it has been done before. Hashtag-boxed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭spakman

Correct for club championships and maybe intercounty league, but by time All-Ireland championships came around, they were allowed use dressing rooms again.

spakman wrote: »
    Correct for club championships and maybe intercounty league, but by time All-Ireland championships came around, they were allowed use dressing rooms again.

I don't think it's fair that they use this as a reason for not opening up all outdoor activities though to be honest. If an organisation disobeys a command then fine them - but this is not enough reason to keep the entire country at a lockdown level tighter than a tick's ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

More evidence of the Indos surge in today’s figures

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Positive Swabs

Positivity Rate

2.86%
    Swabs processed

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Sunday - 377 positive swabs, 2.7% positivity on 13,946 tests.

Monday- 354 positive swabs, 2.96% positivity on 11,954 tests.

Tuesday- 396 positive swabs, 2.86% positivity on 13,864 tests.
    7 day test positivity is 3.1%.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Decent number of tests done over the weekend, despite the weekend in it.

Sunday: 377/13946; 2.7%
    Monday: 354/11954; 2.96%
    Today: 396/13864; 2.86%

Today's result is very slightly up on last Tuesday, but should probably actually be compared to last Monday due to the Bank Holiday.

It'll all be a bit fuzzy this week, but nevertheless most people who got tested over the weekend would have been a close contact or referral rather than a random walk-in or mass test. So those positivity rates are really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭giveitholly

The 4th Wave eh!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭prunudo

Great numbers, hopefully the start of a trend down from the stubborn 500-600 cases numbers the last couple weeks. As seamus says though, figures likely to be a bit fuzzy this week so I may keep the celebrations on hold till later in the week until we get a better picture. Obviously hospital numbers later this evening will give a good indication too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

It's beginning to look like the last few weeks was a heavy testing strategy driving up detection and driving down transmission.

Hopefully this continues and we reach a point soon where NPHET and government will be happy with a wider reopening.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

That's bloody fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I was convinced the low case numbers was just a result of the bank holiday weekend being slow to turn the swabs into cases. A relief the swabs trended down with the cases.

Past 7 day averages of Swabs:
    06/04: 512 (-12.9%
    30/03: 588 (+0.1%)
    23/03: 587 (+10.1%)
    16/03: 533

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Mandatory quarantine is working

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

seamus wrote: »

A very small amount of cases are a result of two people sitting in a field together having coffees. It's everything around it that can lead to an increase; lads sharing a car to go play or watch a match; people sharing dressing rooms & toilets; etc.

One can suggest that outdoor dining seems like an obvious one to open up, but you still have the issue of sharnig of toilets and staff sharing indoor facilities.

That said, most restaurants have continued to offer takeaway through level 5, so outdoor dining won't create many extra staff in the kitchen.

What this data should do in addition to the government measures, is inform the Garda response. Less worrying about busy parks, takeaway pints and gangs of teenagers, more worrying about non-essential business bringing in workers to the office.

It's deflection again as he can't quantify figures of associated with outdoor activities including changing rooms or travelling to and from activities

I know last summer for all club GAA games and juvenile games there was no dressing rooms so that's not a point

Like not allowing people meet up in garden in case people use the bathrooms indoors

Just another excuse not to open things up again or to really push outdoor meetings up

Fair point about "What this data should do in addition to the government measures, is inform the Garda response. Less worrying about busy parks, takeaway pints and gangs of teenagers, more worrying about non-essential business bringing in workers to the office"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

I hear you and don’t disagree...It’s just a bit annoying - a positive report comes out regarding outdoor activities - straight away a ‘heavy’ comes out and dampens down expectations...Come on like - nobody’s is saying outdoors is 100% bullet proof but give us a break like...

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭eastie17

The 4th Wave eh!!!!

This is very disappointing news for the media. Still theres always the potential issues from India banning vaccine exports, that must be at least worth a prime time special if the vaccine numbers just wont co-operate with continuing the negative narrative

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

It's another example of punishing the majority rather than enforcing restrictions on those breaching them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

eastie17 wrote: »
    This is very disappointing news for the media. Still theres always the potential issues from India banning vaccine exports, that must be at least worth a prime time special if the vaccine numbers just wont co-operate with continuing the negative narrative

For some reason I can picture George Lee in the Hitler role when he loses the head and hunts most out of the room.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement