Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I hear you and don’t disagree...It’s just a bit annoying - a positive report comes out regarding outdoor activities - straight away a ‘heavy’ comes out and dampens down expectations...Come on like - nobody’s is saying outdoors is 100% bullet proof but give us a break like...

Lots more benches and tables in public parks
    Benches on proms and beaches
    Outdoor seating along canals and plenty of seating in and around playground .
    Encourage people to meet outdoors and chat in gardens

Click and collect for outdoor toys and games
    Encourage outdoor food stalls and coffee vans
    So much could be done to get people out and about and out of stuffy houses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Lots more benches and tables in public parks
    Benches on proms and beaches
    Outdoor seating along canals and plenty of seating in and around playground .
    Encourage people to meet outdoors and chat in gardens

Click and collect for outdoor toys and games
    Encourage outdoor food stalls and coffee vans
    So much could be done to get people out and about and out of stuffy houses

Easy!! I agree 100% with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Schools closed for 11 days now and case numbers steadily start to drop off! Who'd have thunk it!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,558 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

JP100 wrote:
    Schools closed for 11 days now and case numbers steadily start to drop off! Who'd have thunk it!
    But it's not the students, it's the parents as far as the government is concerned.

Positive Swabs

Positivity Rate

2.86%
    Swabs processed

Sunday - 377 positive swabs, 2.7% positivity on 13,946 tests.

Monday- 354 positive swabs, 2.96% positivity on 11,954 tests.

Tuesday- 396 positive swabs, 2.86% positivity on 13,864 tests.
    7 day test positivity is 3.1%.
    seamus wrote: »
    Decent number of tests done over the weekend, despite the weekend in it.

Sunday: 377/13946; 2.7%
    Monday: 354/11954; 2.96%
    Today: 396/13864; 2.86%

Today's result is very slightly up on last Tuesday, but should probably actually be compared to last Monday due to the Bank Holiday.

It'll all be a bit fuzzy this week, but nevertheless most people who got tested over the weekend would have been a close contact or referral rather than a random walk-in or mass test. So those positivity rates are really good.

I don't mean this in a bad way, but why do I get the impression the same number of users are refreshing, refreshing, refreshing at the same time of each day to ensure they get to post first? :pac:

It must be very deflationary to lose the battle!

The next battle will take place at the number of new cases later today.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    But it's not the students, it's the parents as far as the government is concerned.

Yep and amazingly it's only the parents when their kids are in school. No kids in school no problem with parents! Damn those pesky parents, only for them we would be long out of this lockdown!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I don't mean this in a bad way, but why do I get the impression the same number of users are refreshing, refreshing, refreshing at the same time of each day to ensure they get to post first? :pac:

It must be very deflationary to lose the battle!

The next battle will take place at the number of new cases later today.

Why would anyone need to refresh with twitter alerts turned on

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darem93

JP100 wrote: »
    But schools are 100% safe and it's all because of 'community transmission' from kids play dates and reckless people sitting together in parks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭celt262

Why would anyone need to refresh with twitter alerts turned on

Well then its all panic to get the information copied and pasted into boards as quick as possible :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I know people like to beat this drum a lot - I was one of them for a good while - but having had a close look at the data there's just no clear link between the schools opening/closing and case numbers.

Even if the plateau we had for a few weeks was down to schools reopening, it's such a small effect that it's not worth worrying about. The benefits massively outweigh the risks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

It's no coincidence that in this thread the very same posters who wanted schools to remain open at all costs...
    It also doesn't account for the fact that at primary schools run until the end of June and that many teachers/ SNAs/ school staff also work in schools in July as well...
    Both teachers and health care staff were at work without a vaccine...
    Schools close for the Easter holidays and case numbers start to drop off...
    Schools closed for 11 days now and case numbers steadily start to drop off...

This topic is better suited to the schools thread
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058173819

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

celt262 wrote: »
    Well then its all panic to get the information copied and pasted into boards as quick as possible :pac:

They get little gold stars awarded by the mods... :rolleyes:

darem93 wrote: »
    But schools are 100% safe and it's all because of 'community transmission' from kids play dates and reckless people sitting together in parks!!!

Yep and as if to say play dates only happen on the days the kids go to school - lots of play dates going on all this week between some of the neighbours around me who have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Yep and as if to say play dates only happen on the days the kids go to school - lots of play dates going on all this week between some of my neighbours who have kids.
    And yet still numbers are stable .
    Are they playing out in the garden ?
    I see kids all the time playing outside and see no harm in it at all
    Children need play in their formative years

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

not the schools. the playdates were out of control:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Yep and as if to say play dates only happen on the days the kids go to school - lots of play dates going on all this week between some of the neighbours around me who have kids.

If you closed schools, play dates may actually go up.

Nonsense, data in numerous countries has revealed that pretty much the biggest thing you can do to reduce the R number is close schools such is the impact it has on numbers. However, as a mod wants doesn't want this discussed here, I'll leave it at that...

The positive rate began falling prior to the Easter holidays and has continued since.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

darem93 wrote: »

Said noone ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭cheezums

anyone know if caravan parks are coming back anytime soon?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

57 cases in Northern Ireland today. I think it’s about time things are reopened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

cheezums wrote: »
    anyone know if caravan parks are coming back anytime soon?

There's quite a lot of them. Though not regularly many people in them, what with all the funerals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

The positive rate began falling prior to the Easter holidays and has continued since.

Better weather, longer days are helping also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    57 cases in Northern Ireland today.

How does that compare to recent numbers? Do you know what the positivity rate is?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Not sure if old news or not, from today though:

There is a link between the AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine and blood clots according to a senior official in the European Medicines Agency (EMA).

EMA’s head of vaccines Marco Cavaleri told Italian newspaper Il Messaggero:

“In my opinion, we can say it now, it is clear there is a link with the vaccine. But we still do not know what causes this reaction,” he said.

“In the next few hours, we will say that there is a connection, but we still have to understand how this happens.”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

How does that compare to recent numbers? Do you know what the positivity rate is?

It’s below average, last week we had around 110 cases a day.

I don’t have positivity rates.

More government/HSE spinning as usual from you, case numbers have steadily dropped since schools closed and then when rates increase again after their return you'll be back to the HSE etc spin of play dates and whatever else you're having yourself for the increase!

I know people like to beat this drum a lot - I was one of them for a good while - but having had a close look at the data there's just no clear link between the schools opening/closing and case numbers.

Even if the plateau we had for a few weeks was down to schools reopening, it's such a small effect that it's not worth worrying about. The benefits massively outweigh the risks.

Nonsense, data in numerous countries has revealed that pretty much the biggest thing you can do to reduce the R number is close schools such is the impact it has on numbers. However, as a mod doesn't want this further discussed here, I'll leave it at that...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

11 days of schools closing and cases dropping now again. The pattern is clear the virus loves those wreck less out of control playdates !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    57 cases in Northern Ireland today. I think it’s about time things are reopened.

They are reopening things in NI so what's your point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It's the lowest number of cases reported in a 24 hour period since September.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement