Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Faugheen wrote: »
    As someone who plays sport on a social level and hasn't played in a year and a half (injuries + pandemic shutdown), I'm mad to get back out and play again. I'm desperate to get back out and play again. I know I sometimes come across as someone who wants to stay locked down forever but I really don't. I'm just trying to point out that the government's response since the start of the pandemic is looking more and more shambolic as the weeks roll on and frustrations grow.

No need to explain yourself or justify anything, we all want our own normality back. Hope your injury is OK and you get back playing as soon as :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

We also have increasing herd immunity through people who have had it.

A normal country would be looking to Level 2 in May.

Here in NPHET land however the best we can hope for is a downgrade from "precarious" to maybe "the next 2 weeks are crucial" and opening click and collect.

NPHET land.

That’s funny.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

funnydoggy wrote: »
    No need to explain yourself or justify anything, we all want our own normality back. Hope your injury is OK and you get back playing as soon as :)

Oh I'm grand now. Weekend I was due to come back last March was when everything was shut down and it hasn't come back since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Oh I'm grand now. Weekend I was due to come back last March was when everything was shut down and it hasn't come back since.

Okay now that's annoying :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Rosita wrote: »
    Interesting to see 32 cases reported in Cork, 8 more than in Kildare. About a week ago people here were saying Cork should be opening up, while they wondered what was going on in Kildare. Shows how volatile it all is.

32 daily cases or 315 cases in 14 days in a population of 543k is far from a volatile situation.

• Advertisement

User1998 wrote: »
    What would be criminal would be refining residents to 5km of their home for almost three quarters of a year because of a virus with a survival rate of 99.99% for the majority of the population

In what age groups is survival rate 99.99%?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Rosita

32 daily cases or 315 cases in 14 days in a population of 543k is far from a volatile situation.

I did NOT say the situation in Cork is volatile. Read my post correctly or else leave it.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I did laugh at the News . The HSE and NPHET have told us time and time to listen to the science
    Now the science tells us that outdoor transmission is 0.1% of cases
    But now Colm Henry tells us not to listen to science as it’s misleading !!

Data =/= Science.

It is the interpretation, hypothesising and testing the observations on data that is science.

Now from the data, 0.1% of cases were outdoor, 79.9% indoor and the remainder unknown. The 80% were the easier to identify, the 20% the harder, meaning on the balance of probabilities outdoor would be higher in the unknown has these are the difficult ones to find. We can say with certainty that the true proportion of outdoor transmissions are somewhere between 0.1% and 20%, with it likely to be far closer to 0.1%, but greater than 0.1%.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Eod100 wrote: »

Did'nt know that was even possible given the fact PCR tests can give false positives

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Messi19 wrote: »
    I'm surprised you have time to ask such questions with all the reporting you've seemingly been doing

Yeah perfectly ok to vaccinate a GP's childminder and pass them off as a healthcare assistant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

So only 11 cases from 16,100 tests. Great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

wadacrack wrote: »
    Did'nt know that was even possible given the fact PCR tests can give false positives

Even Kirstie McGrath returned a false positive result :

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40259516.html

of all the tests to mess up on

wadacrack wrote: »

Once the correct protocols are in place the false positive rate is tiny. And here is the proof

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

People reading into that data in the Irish Times need to remember that it's 0.1% of cases that can be identified as the source of the transmission.

Up until last week, there was no retroactive contact tracing.
    You'd swear we were the only country in the world with Covid.

Lots of countries have done retroactive contact tracing. The earliest I remember was China in April 2020 where they analysed 7,324 cases and could only find 2 which involved outdoor transmission.

Our reluctance to accept that outdoor transmission is substantially less likely, and our reluctance to tell people and businesses to go outside, has been the biggest wasted opportunity for me of this entire pandemic. Even now we're putting all this energy into airport quarantine in hotels, where if we put half as much effort into encouraging people to only meet outside it would have a much bigger impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,486 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Very positive and encouraging news today but reckon something will come along to derail it

NPHET will still be as cautious as ever and a time will come when the government have to reject their advice

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Very positive and encouraging news today but reckon something will come along to derail it

NPHET will still be as cautious as ever and a time will come when the government have to reject their advice

Colm Henry is charging to the podium as we speak

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

hmmm wrote: »
    You'd swear we were the only country in the world with Covid.

Lots of countries have done retroactive contact tracing. The earliest I remember was China in April 2020 where they analysed 7,324 cases and could only find 2 which involved outdoor transmission.

Our reluctance to accept that outdoor transmission is substantially less likely, and our reluctance to tell people and businesses to go outside, has been the biggest wasted opportunity for me of this entire pandemic. Even now we're putting all this energy into airport quarantine in hotels, where if we put half as much effort into encouraging people to only meet outside it would have a much bigger impact.

Sadly it's NPHET way or no way. Absolutely no reason not to revert to 15 outdoors for pubs and restaurants immediately.

Yet these clowns whine on about the precarious situation, the new virus and of course the variants.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Excellent stuff.

If someone told me 12 months ago we would have the nursing home patients & HCW’s vaccinated, and see case rates among the vulnerable so low & still be in level 5 say pull the other one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Sadly it's NPHET way or no way. Absolutely no reason not to revert to 15 outdoors for pubs and restaurants immediately.

Yet these clowns whine on about the precarious situation, the new virus and of course the variants.

Doctors in being worried about illness shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

The negativity is quite extraordinary. Thank god we have vaccines - can you imagine what it would be like if we did not have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,785 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

There are two variants in Brazil there icus are wedged, not with the old but with younger people. The reason there full is that there’s a backlog of young people who just take longer to die. Brazil also is no longer digging normal trenches to bury people but vertical pits.

Now take your blockheaded captain doctor science thinking and inform yourself of reality.

• Site Banned Posts: 16 RoseStick

There are two variants in Brazil there icus are wedged, not with the old but with younger people. The reason there full is that there’s a backlog of young people who just take longer to die. Brazil also is no longer digging normal trenches to bury people but vertical pits.

Now take your blockheaded captain doctor science thinking and inform yourself of reality.

There's plenty of people who would be glad, happy and all too delighted to see such scenarios develop in Ireland and the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

This should be brought up at the next NPHET briefing.

https://twitter.com/AdamJKucharski/status/1379528736853331973

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭mcburns07

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

RoseStick wrote: »
    There's plenty of people who would be glad, happy and all too delighted to see such scenarios develop in Ireland and the EU.

Don’t be stupid what halfwitted moronic statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

Strange that it doesn't seem to bother the UK authorities as they plough on with reopening.

We have the highly transmissible uk variant anyway, so your Brazil variants won't have a chance of getting dominant here.

Lucky us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Brazil also is no longer digging normal trenches to bury people but vertical pits.

This is about the 5th or 6th time you've mentioned this.

We are not Brazil so stop making out that we're comparable to them in any way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement