Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Jane1012

Kivaro wrote: »
    4,000 people died with Covid in Brazil yesterday, all in a 24 hour period. Yesterday 3 Brazilians who flew into Dublin and spent less than a day in a quarantine hotel just walked out of the hotel, got into a car and drove 150 kms heading towards Donegal before they were stopped by Gardai, and asked to return to the hotel. We should be stopping all arrivals from Brazil until the country gets their act together. The very high death toll in Brazil, including the record number of deaths yesterday, are attributed to variants, which does not surprise me as Brazil is just a petri dish for Covid variants due to the lack of control efforts in that country. With such a high degree of Covid transmission in Brazil, people should not be flying out of Brazil and they certainly should not be allowed into Ireland if they do decide to leave the country.

You do realise Brazil’s population is more than 42 times our population. The 4,000 deaths equates to around 95 death here, which are not unheard of figures. Granted 95 is at the higher end but I think the 4,000 needs to be taken in to context before we point the finger at them for being such a disaster...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭Polar101

Jane1012 wrote: »
    4,000 needs to be taken in to context before we point the finger at them for being such a disaster...

You'd also have to question how reliable Brazil's numbers are - I'd bet they don't report a lot of their cases and deaths, because they don't know (or care) about them.

Polar101 wrote: »
    You'd also have to question how reliable Brazil's numbers are - I'd bet they don't report a lot of their cases and deaths, because they don't know (or care) about them.

Yes that’s a fair point too but I just wonder sometimes when people scoff at how awful another country is doing (US, Brazil, UK etc) if they actually look in to that countries population compared to ours. There’s times people on here have been criticising the US numbers and when you break it down, we were actually doing worse

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

Yes that’s a fair point too but I just wonder sometimes when people scoff at how awful another country is doing (US, Brazil, UK etc) if they actually look in to that countries population compared to ours. There’s times people on here have been criticising the US numbers and when you break it down, we were actually doing worse

Yeah but 4000 is great for the auld scaremongering brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

You do realise Brazil’s population is more than 42 times our population. The 4,000 deaths equates to around 95 death here, which are not unheard of figures. Granted 95 is at the higher end but I think the 4,000 needs to be taken in to context before we point the finger at them for being such a disaster...

Ireland has the youngest population in the EU that was the case even before Brexit. The vast majority of covid deaths we are told constantly happen in the older population, you just have to look at northern Italy to see that.

Where are all the old people in Ireland gone? Well back in the 40s,50s and sixties hundreds of thousands of young people left Ireland and went to Britain and elsewhere. So a big chunk of Irelands elderly are in Britain for example.

Given that or population is so young why are is our death rate per head of populations amongst the worst in the EU and yet we have the fourth biggest health spend within the EU, well it’s because the HSE as an organisation is a useless money pit. The government know that,NEPHT no that and the head of the HSE knows that and that’s why we are in constant lockdown. So the next time you push out the line of we are not Brazil, it’s only by the power of Christ that we are not cause if Ireland had its true population demographics the story would be a lot different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

plodder wrote: »
    Norma Foley just said that all 50 year olds have the same risk of catching Covid. Eg a civil servant working from home vs a teacher or SNA in a school :rolleyes:

Is she wrong? The 50 year old working from home may have school children so there is a risk there. That person drops the kids off the school, goes to the supermarket etc etc.

Polar101 wrote: »

How reliable is Irish data.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Norma Foley just said that all 50 year olds have the same risk of catching Covid. Eg a civil servant working from home vs a teacher or SNA in a school :rolleyes:

Are you sure she didn't say that about dying from covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

40 discharges from hospital yesterday after 30 admissions over Easter weekend

Ireland has the youngest population in the EU that was the case even before Brexit. The vast majority of covid deaths we are told constantly happen in the older population, you just have to look at northern Italy to see that.

Where are all the old people in Ireland gone? Well back in the 40s,50s and sixties hundreds of thousands of young people left Ireland and went to Britain and elsewhere. So a big chunk of Irelands elderly are in Britain for example.

Given that or population is so young why are is our death rate per head of populations amongst the worst in the EU and yet we have the fourth biggest health spend within the EU, well it’s because the HSE as an organisation is a useless money pit. The government know that,NEPHT no that and the head of the HSE knows that and that’s why we are in constant lockdown. So the next time you push out the line of we are not Brazil, it’s only by the power of Christ that we are not cause if Ireland had its true population demographics the story would be a lot different.

Not sure if you misquoted me but I was definitely not ‘pushing out the line of we are not Brazil’ I was actually saying we’re not so great ourselves and their numbers only look giant to us as we have such a small population in comparison.

• Advertisement

Not sure if you misquoted me but I was definitely not ‘pushing out the line of we are not Brazil’ I was actually saying we’re not so great ourselves and their numbers only look giant to us as we have such a small population in comparison.

I did sorry but the majority here think the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It may be eye rolling but it's also a sign to teachers that they are on their own.

Yeah it's 50% either way. You catch it or you don't. 50/50. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Happy (potentially) 1 Millionth Irish vaccine day.

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Just listened to the news there and they are saying Vitamin d could possibly be a cure against covid.. Interesting news

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0407/1208274-vitamin-d-covid-19/
    A group of politicians has said that Irish people should take daily Vitamin D supplements
    The report says while Vitamin D is in no way a cure for Covid-19, there is increasing international evidence from Finland, France and Spain that high levels of the vitamin in people can help reduce the impact of Covid-19 infections and other illnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

No problem whatsoever with vit D supplements being recommended to the population. Bit of a problem with the claim that vitamin D supplements have a potential benefit against covid.

Evidence for this is very weak. Not sure where the Oireachtas committee have got theirs.
    They seem to be referencing some very spurious studies. Be interesting to see if HIQA push back against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Turtwig wrote: »
    No problem whatsoever with vit D supplements being recommended to the population. Bit of a problem with the claim that vitamin D supplements have a potential benefit against covid.

Evidence for this is very weak. Not sure where the Oireachtas committee have got theirs.
    They seem to be referencing some very spurious studies. Be interesting to see if HIQA push back against it.
    Absolutely anyone can make a submission to a committee, but only a few get invited to appear before them. It's really a report of all those submissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Turtwig wrote: »

Absolutely this.

If someone wants to take vitamin D then by all means fire away but the evidence is weak at best.

They'd be better off leaving the recommendations to HIQA

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

We will not stop a Frenchman from coming to Ireland - but we will stop a Corkman from going to Kerry.
    Hashtag-freedom-of-movement-does-not-always-apply

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

This is great news.......even if it is last years news.
    Between this, vaccines, natural immunity and other prevention measures such as social distancing and hand washing not to forget the fact that there are minuscule infection rates in outdoor settings, it feels like we’re at the end of the tunnel.

Time to open society and allow people to make their own safety assessments according to what is actually safe rather than what is ‘Allowed’. At the same time we must respect and allow those who are still vulnerable and/or fearful to take extra precautions such as staying at home for as long as they are comfortable with.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

"Brazil now... is a threat to the entire effort of the international community to control the pandemic," Dr Miguel Nicolelis, who has been closely tracking cases in the country, told the BBC.

"If Brazil is not under control, then the planet is not going to be safe, because we are brewing new variants every week... and they are going to cross borders," he said."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-56657818

I think Brazil is the biggest threat to vaccine efficacy because of their completely feckless attitude .

4,000 people died with Covid in Brazil yesterday, all in a 24 hour period. Yesterday 3 Brazilians who flew into Dublin and spent less than a day in a quarantine hotel just walked out of the hotel, got into a car and drove 150 kms heading towards Donegal before they were stopped by Gardai, and asked to return to the hotel. We should be stopping all arrivals from Brazil until the country gets their act together. The very high death toll in Brazil, including the record number of deaths yesterday, are attributed to variants, which does not surprise me as Brazil is just a petri dish for Covid variants due to the lack of control efforts in that country. With such a high degree of Covid transmission in Brazil, people should not be flying out of Brazil and they certainly should not be allowed into Ireland if they do decide to leave the country.

100% correct. They are a threat to public health and should be banned from international travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

ek motor wrote: »
    "Brazil now... is a threat to the entire effort of the international community to control the pandemic," Dr Miguel Nicolelis, who has been closely tracking cases in the country, told the BBC.

"If Brazil is not under control, then the planet is not going to be safe, because we are brewing new variants every week... and they are going to cross borders," he said."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-56657818

I think Brazil is the biggest threat to vaccine efficacy because of their completely feckless attitude .

Blame the lunatic they have in charge.

Do you have a link that says they arrived from Brazil ?

Just curious as anything I've read from the Irish times etc doesn't mention where they arrived from

Edit: original article updated to mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭spakman

Just curious as anything I've read from the Irish times etc doesn't mention where they arrived from

Was said on Morning Ireland. But they also said they wetr heading to Donegal whereas other reports said they were stopped near loughrea, which is a long way in the wrong direction from Donegal!

spakman wrote: »
    Was said on Morning Ireland. But they also said they wetr heading to Donegal whereas other reports said they were stopped near loughrea, which is a long way in the wrong direction from Donegal!

They were stopped on the M6 , taking the scenic route via Galway

spakman wrote: »

Yeah they were going to Loughrea according to Gardai & stopped just outside it on the motorway

I've just spotted the Irish times updated their original article yesterday to say " it's believed their Brazilian"

They didn't mention it in later articles.

Hard to know what reports and rumours are accurate

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

In the Irish Times
    The three women are believed to be Brazilian nationals who attempted to make their way home to Loughrea, Co Galway.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/three-women-return-to-quarantine-hotel-after-absconding-1.4530391

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

We will not stop a Frenchman from coming to Ireland - but we will stop a Corkman from going to Kerry.
    Hashtag-freedom-of-movement-does-not-always-apply

There has been a lot of talk about Brasil this morning. It's noteworthy that France has French Guiana right on the northern border of Brasil. French Guiana is an internal department of France - not some colonial outpost. This means you can travel from Cayenne to Paris without a passport - it's an internal trip as far as France is concerned.

And then of course from Paris you can fly right into Dublin!

I have been across that French Guiana/Brasilian border a number of times over the years and never used my passport. It's a wide open river... cross wherever you like. Water-taxis abound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

232 in hospital this morning and likely to keep dropping all week.

This is the lowest since 20th December.

For reference, we've never had less than 200 in hospital for any sustained period since early October.

If we break 200 and manage to dip below it, then we are well on top of this regardless of what the daily numbers or positivity rate is.

ICU is still taking it time, but it'll get there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement