Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

If 21 cases a day is the definition of "very precarious" how would you describe the current 500 a day situation?

Very finely balanced. One little nudge the wrong way and we're in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Multipass wrote: »
    Irish Times headline today that ‘Ireland is on a knife edge as case numbers could go either way’
    The old worry meter needed a kickstart :pac:

Another headline claiming that having covid increases mental health problems....

I would think that most of the mental health problems are being created by the lockdown(s) and by the fear and anxiety that the public messaging deliberately generates.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If 21 cases a day is the definition of "very precarious" how would you describe the current 500 a day situation?
    The number of cases is irrelevant, it's the direction in which they're going.

21 cases and growing exponentially is alarming.

500 cases and dropping slowly is stabilising.

500 cases and unchanging is precarious.

Interestingly when there was no mention of new variants the situation last July was "very precarious"

Lately its just "precarious"

These people are spoofers plain and simple.

Of the 4 times they called it "precarious" twice so far there as no spike, the third time was Christmas and we know why that happened, their 4th precarious call was 31st March and its not looking great for their prediction this time either.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I would think that most of the mental health problems are being created by the lockdown(s) and by the fear and anxiety that the public messaging deliberately generates.

Yes but they don’t matter, they should suck it up.
    Once covid gets involved it’s a worry, call it part of long covid and it’s headline news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭purplefields

seamus wrote: »
    The number 21 is small, but when you get into exponential growth, 21 cases becomes 300 cases in just 8 weeks.

Just a small nit-pick but the growth, by definition, is always exponential. Exponential just means that there is an exponent involved (like 4 squared has an exponent of 2). In this case there there is an exponent because there is an R value. If the curve is flat, doesn't mean it's not exponential.

As a side note, I do enjoy your posts and find them informative.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

NPHET seem to describe the situation as precarious when the R number is above 1. They are entirely correct in this view. If the R number is above 1, it’s only a matter of time before this spins out of control

Rather than case numbers, NPHET seem most content when the R number is below 1. Even at 10 cases a day, R > 1 is cause for concern

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

marno21 wrote: »
    NPHET seem to describe the situation as precarious when the R number is above 1. They are entirely correct in this view. If the R number is above 1, it’s only a matter of time before this spins out of control

Rather than case numbers, NPHET seem most content when the R number is below 1. Even at 10 cases a day, R > 1 is cause for concern

The R numbers published by NPHET are a total nonsense, the last one I read was 'between 1 and 1.3' which is ridiculous - they are stating cases are not growing or they are growing rapidly - which is it? Another one a while back was 'between 0.6 and 0.9' again totally useless range, a bit like backing all the horses in a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Just a small nit-pick but the growth, by definition, is always exponential. Exponential just means that there is an exponent involved (like 4 squared has an exponent of 2). In this case there there is an exponent because there is an R value. If the curve is flat, doesn't mean it's not exponential.

As a side note, I do enjoy your posts and find them informative.

No it isn't. Raising something to a power (exponent) doesn't mean you're on exponential growth. The test for exponential growth is that the rate of change, (acceleration, jerk, etc where applicable) are proportional to the original function.

Quadratic growth like your example above is not exponential. In fact it can grow faster than an exponential growth at the start but in time the exponential function will outpace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

OwenM wrote: »
    The R numbers published by NPHET are a total nonsense, the last one I read was 'between 1 and 1.3' which is ridiculous - they are stating cases are not growing or they are growing rapidly - which is it? Another one a while back was 'between 0.6 and 0.9' again totally useless range, a bit like backing all the horses in a race.
    They use four models and have always recognised that it's an approximation. It's still a useful tool in terms of predicting future development of the disease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭purplefields

Turtwig wrote: »
    No it isn't. Raising something to a power (exponent) doesn't mean you're on exponential growth. The test for exponential growth is that the rate of change, (acceleration, jerk, etc where applicable) are proportional to the original function.

Quadratic growth like your example above is not exponential. In fact it can grow faster than an exponential growth at the start but in time the exponential function will outpace it.

To clarify, I wasn't suggesting that the growth for coronavirus was a constant power, just giving an example of what an exponent is (ie, 2^6 : 6 is the exponent. or 4^t : t is the exponent)

I guess using a constant in my exponent example was confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭plodder

is_that_so wrote: »
    They use four models and have always recognised that it's an approximation. It's still a useful tool in terms of predicting future development of the disease.
    Does it not depend on accurate contact tracing though?

And are case number trends not a better measure? A single R number for the whole country always seemed less useful to me. Like, if they said there is an outbreak in some place with an R value of 1.9, based on a close examination of contacts there, then it would seem more credible to me.

plodder wrote: »
    Does it not depend on accurate contact tracing though?

And are case number trends not a better measure? A single R number for the whole country always seemed less useful to me. Like, if they said there is an outbreak in some place with an R value of 1.9, based on a close examination of contacts there, then it would seem more credible to me.
    Some level of contact tracing yes but even numbers of close contacts generate data. It can never be fully accurate but the trends are key anyway to understanding what's happening. Localised may influence testing, like the walk-ins but outlier data are always a nuisance to map.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,489 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

seamus wrote: »
    The number of cases is irrelevant, it's the direction in which they're going.

21 cases and growing exponentially is alarming.

500 cases and dropping slowly is stabilising.

500 cases and unchanging is precarious.

21 cases in an unvaccinated society is alarming.

500 cases in a society where the known vulnerable are vaccinated, thats not alarming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

500 cases in a society where the known vulnerable are vaccinated, thats not alarming.

No logic to that.

No logic to that.
    The 21 cases is likely to have a receptive population to grow rapidly, the 500 will have to find enough unvaccinated to have an effect.

Exactly. I look forward to the day when we lose this fixation on case numbers. Chris Whitty in the UK was very open this week when he said that case numbers WILL increase substantially, but that that does not pose a threat to the reopening roadmap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

GP referral data for yesterday is out. Good news - lower than last Monday. I thought we might see a big spike with the long weekend, but it looks fine.

https://tomorrowscare.ie/covid/2021-04-07_COVID_GP_Survey_Results.pdf

is_that_so wrote: »
    The 21 cases is likely to have a receptive population to grow rapidly, the 500 will have to find enough unvaccinated to have an effect.

I’d wager there’s more chance of 500 cases spreading then 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Sounds like something Trump would come out with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2021/0407/1208370-sna-vaccines/

A load of education staff in the government ministers constituencies were contacted by the HSE and received their jab last week.

This is getting beyond a joke. I don't begrudge those people a vaccine for one minute but maybe if the cunts in charge were more interested in actually getting it rolled out than hand picking which menial labourer they deem worthy of selection we would be getting somewhere.

Eod100 wrote: »

Jesus. Probably something ridiculous like the UK and the USA

When you add numbers together they get bigger.

If you have .9 of an orange on a plate and then add .6 of an orange to the plate you have 1.5 pieces of orange.

I’d wager there’s more chance of 500 cases spreading then 21.

No one will or should care about 500 or even 5000 cases if the vaccination rollout has covered 70-80% of the population.

Exactly. I look forward to the day when we lose this fixation on case numbers. Chris Whitty in the UK was very open this week when he said that case numbers WILL increase substantially, but that that does not pose a threat to the reopening roadmap.

Aye they're pretty much irrelevant once the vulnerable are vaccinated. They'll have crowds in for the snooker in a few weeks. Can't wait for the snooker myself. :D Meanwhile we're still piss-arsing about and people still arguing that in some way we're doing a better job because according to some projections we may catch up to them in 3 months' time.

When you add numbers together they get bigger.

Was that an attempt at humour or did you post accidentally?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Jesus. Probably something ridiculous like the UK and the USA

Not sure are they included also, say there would be more resistance to them than France or Germany say with how many Irish live there and FDI from US companies etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2021/0407/1208370-sna-vaccines/

A load of education staff in the government ministers constituencies were contacted by the HSE and received their jab last week.

This is getting beyond a joke. I don't begrudge those people a vaccine for one minute but maybe if the cunts in charge were more interested in actually getting it rolled out than hand picking which menial labourer they deem worthy of selection we would be getting somewhere.

My first thought was which minister's children are in those schools, just a coincidence like.

• Advertisement

No one will or should care about 500 or even 5000 cases if the vaccination rollout has covered 70-80% of the population.

If the vaccines work we won’t have any cases.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement