Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,875 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

RTE News running a revelatory piece about vitamin D and its help in bolstering the immune system...

...we discovered this last year.

Slow hand clap for the laggards of the media.

Really? You don't remember the media coverage in Jan 2020?

Or you don't want to, as a good old rant is better

https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2020/0605/1145645-watch-could-vitamin-d-help-your-ability-to-fight-covid-19/

Or June 2020
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0604/1145546-vitamin-d-covid-supplement/

Or Feb this year
    https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2021/0223/1198759-health-committee/

This COVID-19 problem is a typical bureaucratic middle-management-type Irish solution.

Reports, analysis, delay, reports, analysis, delay.

No results, only further reports. Temporary measures and no leadership.

No authority, only "precariousness".

It makes me sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Half of all counties below 100 now in the 14 day rate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Well anyone who wasn't under a rock would have seen the reports on newspapers and other sources of media.

Big difference between that and NPHET plus scientists actively encouraging and recommending Vitamin D supplementation. It could have helped to some degree and is dirt cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Stheno wrote: »
    Is that five days now of numbers shifting from the 5-600 a day plateau?

See at end of the week, impossible to tell impact of Easter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Half of all counties below 100 now in the 14 day rate
    Also, Sligo first county in a long time under the magical 25 per 100K 14 day rate
    now 22.9.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

lukas8888 wrote: »
    Also, Sligo first county in a long time under the magical 25 per 100K 14 day rate
    now 22.9.

Copperface Jacks Sligo Night.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Worst surge ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Is it really any different to the ones people have to get if travelling to other countries?

Deciding to take a trialed and tested and well established vaccine in order to gain entry into a country and being passively coerced into taking a new vaccine in order to regain freedom in your own country are two entirely different things

• Registered Users Posts: 10,875 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

User142 wrote: »
    Worst surge ever.

That's about the twentieth time that line has been used this week.

New material is badly needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    That's about the twentieth time that line has been used this week.

New material is badly needed.

Maybe it's you - maybe you're on here too much ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Deciding to take a trialed and tested and well established vaccine in order to gain entry into a country and being passively coerced into taking a new vaccine in order to regain freedom in your own country are two entirely different things

If those illnesses, that you take the trialed and tested vaccines for travel,were endemic in Ireland and you were required to take them for freedom in Ireland would it be an issue ?
    Bear n mind many of those older vaccines have some fairly hefty side effects themselves .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Hospital numbers at 8pm

Total 220 (no change from last night)
    ICU 54 (down from 58 last night - 1 death)

Last Wednesday
    Total 272
    ICU 64

• Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Does anyone know whether Dublin airport passenger numbers have reduced since Ireland introduced mandatory quarantining (for certain countries obviously)? There were suggestions that it would put people off coming to Ireland no matter where they are located.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭Be right back

I've gladly done both things. If taking a new vaccine means that I can get some normality back and keeping loved ones safe, I don't really care about showing a record of said vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Hospital numbers at 8pm

Last Wednesday
    Total 272
    ICU 64

Lowest ICU number since January 1st.

Goldengirl wrote: »
    If those illnesses, that you take the trialed and tested vaccines for travel,were endemic in Ireland and you were required to take them for freedom in Ireland would it be an issue ?
    Bear n mind many of those older vaccines have some fairly hefty side effects themselves .

I have no issue with taking a trialed and tested vaccine. I do have issue with taking a newly developed vaccine and encountering possible future sanctions if I decide I do not want to take it or id rather wait and see how things go with it before I make up my mind. I don’t see what is so problematic about that and I don’t like how some are made feel bad about any reservations they may have about getting it. I’m especially adverse to our freedom being used as a reward for those who decide to get it. I don’t believe I’ll be injected with 5G and I’m not a Covid denier, I’m just somewhat reluctant to take a new vaccine and would rather take a wait and see approach before I make up my mind. And I don’t like the judgemental attitude out of those who don’t accept that.

I've gladly done both things. If taking a new vaccine means that I can get some normality back and keeping loved ones safe, I don't really care about showing a record of said vaccine.

That’s good for you and I’d never judge you for that, I can’t say I’m quite there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Hospital numbers at 8pm

Last Wednesday
    Total 272
    ICU 64

Great numbers. Thanks.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭Be right back

That’s good for you and I’d never judge you for that, I can’t say I’m quite there yet.

Fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

I have no issue with taking a trialed and tested vaccine. I do have issue with taking a newly developed vaccine and encountering possible future sanctions if I decide I do not want to take it or id rather wait and see how things go with it before I make up my mind. I don’t see what is so problematic about that and I don’t like how some are made feel bad about any reservations they may have about getting it. I’m especially adverse to our freedom being used as a reward for those who decide to get it. I don’t believe I’ll be injected with 5G and I’m not a Covid denier, I’m just somewhat reluctant to take a new vaccine and would rather take a wait and see approach before I make up my mind. And I don’t like the judgemental attitude out of those who don’t accept that.

It's a bit unclear from your post are you trying to say that the current CV19 vaccines are not trialed and tested?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

Does anyone know whether Dublin airport passenger numbers have reduced since Ireland introduced mandatory quarantining (for certain countries obviously)? There were suggestions that it would put people off coming to Ireland no matter where they are located.

I believe they've actually slightly increased if anything over the past two weeks, but keep in mind it really is just absolutely essential trips for the most part, think it was 11,000 passengers last week, down about 98% on 2019 levels, so 2% of normal traffic being absolutely essential would match up.

Obviously there are some like the Dubai two and some of the chancers off to the canaries, but really think they're in the minority and just used as scape goats against travel at the minute, in reality any air travel taking place right now is because its absolutely essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

My risk of becoming seriously ill with covid is minimal and I'm willing to take that risk. If I'm sick I'll stay home and practice good hygiene, the same as I always would. And the same as the advice has always been prior to last year.

Once the elderly and vulnerable people have been vaccinated, who cares about those who choose not to really? Isnt the point to keep the hospitals from filling up? Previous to this illness it was never a moral failing to catch a virus and even to pass it on. We've all done it.

The only way I'll get the vaccine is if it's required to come home. Of the people I know who have had covid, 1 required hospitalisation (and recovered in a day). I already know of several people who have had bad reactions to the vaccine, including 2 who almost died. No thanks. For me the risk outweighs the benefit. sorry, I'm an evil selfish person obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

jackboy wrote: »
    It was intentionally suppressed to prevent people popping a few vitamin pills and then feeling they could ignore the lockdown.

I'm not sure if that is true or not. Fact is it was downplayed all the way. For whatever reason this is when you get into rabbit hole territory. "Its good for the covid but we can't tell them because they might get careless" Seriously?

Vitamin D was a no brainer. Every single death from covid had a deficiency. Every single one, no exception. That was at least true for the first 6 months as far as I remember. We start a whole religious following over masks but at the same time we ignored this. Its the stuff you drive people into believing conspiracy theories with, couldnt make it up.

Nobody being judgemental ....are you?
    I have argued for people's right to exactly this freedom and right to complete information before consenting to vaccines generally .
    But yes I would be pro vaccine ,tbh .

You are entitled to do all you say but as we are in a worldwide health emergency you must surely see that your rights and freedom must not put others in danger and are not more important than another's right not to be infected?
    While your rights are important it cannot be to the detriment of others ,which in the situation of a highly infectious disease as we have now , either you take care to avoid and not pass on this virus , whichmaymeannot going totally the places you may want to go ,or you take the vaccine ...your choice .

Personally I see little difference in taking a vaccine which might give me liver failure in rare circumstances , but hey, I want to travel abroad to a country that requires this vaccine on entry, to a vaccine which has been tested scrupulously and given to 34 million with few side effects, to allow me to go wherever I want here or anywhere else in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

That's a very good point. I totally understand and would have a hold similar views ordinarily.

However there is a problem with this view in the current context. If everyone shared your thinking then there simply wouldn't be an end to restrictions etc for a very long time.

Taking a new vaccine is daunting. I think it's probably the lesser of too evils in this situation and will take it when it's my turn. I wouldn't take any vaccine though.Only those currently approved and with corresponding safety data. (i.e the main ones here)

Really I understand the point you make I just hope not too many people share it for aforementioned reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

I have argued for people's right to exactly this freedom and right to complete information before consenting to vaccines generally .

You are entitled to do all you say but as we are in a worldwide health emergency you must surely see that your rights and freedom must not put others in danger and are not more important than another's right not to be infected?
    While your rights are important it cannot be to the detriment of others ,which in the situation of a highly infectious disease as we have now , either you take care to avoid and not pass on this virus , whichmaymeannot going totally the places you may want to go ,or you take the vaccine ...your choice .

Personally I see little difference in taking a vaccine which might give me liver failure in rare circumstances , but hey, I want to travel abroad to a country that requires this vaccine on entry, to a vaccine which has been tested scrupulously and given to 34 million with few side effects, to allow me to go wherever I want here or anywhere else in the world.

Really? Look at our lakes, our mountains, our bays, coves, villages, cliffs, cities and beaches... I want the vaccine too - no doubt - but what does the rest of the world offer that compares to this green isle?

I'm in Dublin and you have no idea how much I look forward to pushing my kayak into Lough Corrib and paddling around to find an island to spend a few nights on... casting a few flies... sipping a whiskey... puffing on a cigar in the still, warm summer air... watching the sunset... watching the flames...

I need nothing more than that. But I do need it. Yet I can't have it. And it effects no one else at all for me to do it.

Really? Look at our lakes, our mountains, our bays, coves, villages, cliffs, cities and beaches... I want the vaccine too - no doubt - but what does the rest of the world offer that compares to this green isle?

I'm in Dublin and you have no idea how much I look forward to pushing my kayak into Lough Corrib and paddling around to find an island to spend a few nights on... casting a few flies... sipping a whiskey... puffing on a cigar in the still, warm summer air... watching the sunset... watching the flames...

I need nothing more than that. But I do need it. Yet I can't have it. And it effects no one else at all for me to do it.

Haha, all that from one highlighted phrase, lol.
    Well done ! Out of context though :)

What about my right to not want to put myself in possible danger by taking a new vaccine? Does that not matter? I respect your stance on it and you can so as you please, as will I. And I’ll not be made feel like I’m wrong about my reluctance. I will likely get it down the road eventually, but I’m not going to be made feel like I’m selfish or there’s something wrong with me for showing caution and hesitance in these very early months

• Advertisement

What about my right to not want to put myself in possible danger by taking a new vaccine? Does that not matter? I respect your stance on it and you can so as you please, as will I. And I’ll not be made feel like I’m wrong about my reluctance. I will likely get it down the road eventually, but I’m not going to be made feel like I’m selfish or there’s something wrong with me for showing caution and hesitance in these very early months

Not saying you are selfish nor am I castigating your caution.
    I understand it , to an extent .
    Just that the carrot of going abroad seems to be more worth the risk of taking some pretty grotty vaccinations at other times , while these very well tested and tried at this stage vaccinations aren't worth the risk,even though the reward is returning to some normality.

Yes, some possibly correlated rare events with AZ are currently being investigated and watched worldwide , but this shows how well scrutinised these vaccination programmes are.
    In no other time have vaccines been safer .

Not trying to make you feel anything in particular just expressing my opinion .
    You will do what you need to do , for yourself .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement