Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

If vaccine passports do become a thing I definitely don't want astrazeneca. Having to wait 3 months before you're free to enjoy life would just be too much to take. There would need to be allowances that if you've gotten the first dose (and a certain amount of time has elapsed for it to become effective) then you're good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Benimar

I have to laugh, the headline gives a definitive statement, saying this will happen, while the article quotes a "source" saying this is one thing that could happen.

In other words, yeah we haven't a clue and it's still early April so we won't be talking about this for a few more weeks yet.

One of those articles where you have to read past the headline to then see the article crumble as you read through it

Exactly. Plenty of ‘mights’, ‘possibly’ and ‘anticipated’ thrown in for good measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Benimar wrote: »
    Exactly. Plenty of ‘mights’, ‘possibly’ and ‘anticipated’ thrown in for good measure.

So you don't think this is on the agenda at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

is_that_so wrote: »
    As is your own, clearly. You bring nothing to any debate by name calling. Leave them be and stop caring what people you don't know do.

My own opinion is that science works. And 3 swallows does not make a summer.

If vaccine passports do become a thing I definitely don't want astrazeneca. Having to wait 3 months before you're free to enjoy life would just be too much to take. There would need to be allowances that if you've gotten the first dose (and a certain amount of time has elapsed for it to become effective) then you're good to go.

The evidence seems to be that the J&J vaccine performs no differently the the AZ vaccine first dose in the short term at least. It would definitely be jarring to see someone who got the J& J get a cert two weeks after the jab, while the person who got the AZ is waiting 12 weeks even though they have the same protection over the interim period

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

It's just a story for now, probably produced by some official musing "we could start in say hairdressers in May for example".

It’s a story /kite flying, I agree, but with the retards we have in government and the public service, this has a very real possibility of happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Even France in the midst of a big wave have hope for the end of May

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/56672564

I feel we are being far far too conservative and negative in this country. Christmas really has ruined us, it was a perfect Tsunami of factors that caused the massive surge, it is extremely unlikely to be repeated, we need to start making some strives to normality.

Our government are so incredibly fearful and unambitious.

Surely ridiculous kite flying. Sure the barbers and hairdressers were open all of last summer, no vaccine. I’d see two big problems with that plan:

1. Why would anyone take AZ if you’ve to wait 14 weeks til you’re considered fully vaxxed?
    2. It surely would breed massive public resentment towards the queue skippers etc? All it would do is reward the people who’ve managed to jump to the top of the HSE admin queue. What would the beacon boss have gained? Freedom for his whole family. While everyone else waits.

Personally couldn’t see a lot of barbers going along with this anyway.

The evidence seems to be that the J&J vaccine performs no differently the the AZ vaccine first dose in the short term at least. It would definitely be jarring to see someone who got the J& J get a cert two weeks after the jab, while the person who got the AZ is waiting 12 weeks even though they have the same protection over the interim period

That’s it AZ was developed as a one shot solution. In the US one shot has 72% efficacy and 2 has 76% efficacy. The manipulated European numbers which can’t be replicated anywhere say 90%. That’s one of the issues it’s facing in the US and why they had to do additional trials. I have a sense AZ will be switching back to 1 shot only needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ddarcy wrote: »
    It’s a story /kite flying, I agree, but with the retards we have in government and the public service, this has a very real possibility of happening.
    The attraction of it is that it seems to be one size fits all, despite the fact that it is really only aimed at getting EU tourism going. It's down to how feasible it's seen to be. If that's just another triumphant Donnelly tweet it's probably not a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Russman

Surely ridiculous kite flying. Sure the barbers and hairdressers were open all of last summer, no vaccine. I’d see two big problems with that plan:

1. Why would anyone take AZ if you’ve to wait 14 weeks til you’re considered fully vaxxed?
    2. It surely would breed massive public resentment towards the queue skippers etc? All it would do is reward the people who’ve managed to jump to the top of the HSE admin queue. What would the beacon boss have gained? Freedom for his whole family. While everyone else waits.

Personally couldn’t see a lot of barbers going along with this anyway.

I think what would end up happening is that almost everyone would ignore it, and, a bit like a line of cars that are all speeding but the Garda only pulls one of them, you'd have a few random prosecutions or slaps on the wrist to show they're doing something.

Russman wrote: »
    I think what would end up happening is that almost everyone would ignore it, and, a bit like a line of cars that are all speeding but the Garda only pulls one of them, you'd have a few random prosecutions or slaps on the wrist to show they're doing something.
    Not sure you'd even get that. The GRA would just denounce it as unworkable, which it is and that'd be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Haha, all that from one highlighted phrase, lol.
    Well done ! Out of context though :)

Fun's gonna fun!

And the Malbec. The Malbec's gonna Malbec too of course! :)

That’s it AZ was developed as a one shot solution. In the US one shot has 72% efficacy and 2 has 76% efficacy. The manipulated European numbers which can’t be replicated anywhere say 90%. That’s one of the issues it’s facing in the US and why they had to do additional trials. I have a sense AZ will be switching back to 1 shot only needed.

I think, that for us in the West, the AZ vaccine is effectively a dead man walking. Its on borrowed time - it may well be a fine vaccine but there have always been enough caveats and explanations along the way, and now the clots issue which could easily be blown way out of proportion by hysteria. Once the wealthy countries don't need it and have plenty of other options AZ will be dropped like a hot potato IMO.
    I'd take it myself in a heartbeat if offered it but I'm months away from getting offered a shot.

Not sure you'd even get that. The GRA would just denounce it as unworkable, which it is and that'd be it.

True enough. I think there'd be some token "show" though, somewhere along the line, maybe a health and safety issue or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭gw80

Except we know the government couldn’t organise a shoe lace tying competition.

I think they would struggle with velcro tbh

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Even France in the midst of a big wave have hope for the end of May

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/56672564

I feel we are being far far too conservative and negative in this country. Christmas really has ruined us, it was a perfect Tsunami of factors that caused the massive surge, it is extremely unlikely to be repeated, we need to start making some strives to normality.

Our government are so incredibly fearful and unambitious.

Leo Varadkar did a presentation on social media last week outlining:

1. The continued decline of all metrics (case numbers, deaths, hospitalisations & ICU)
    2. How the vaccine rollout is ramping up
    3. How this may allow us to reopen as time goes on

All positive, but also realistic.

The negative tone that Micheal Martin continues to use no longer has any basis in reality. There is no reason for any negativity atm. It’s absolutely bizarre why this continues as it is doing the Government no favours at all

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭noplacehere

As someone in cohort four I just my AstraZeneca jab but wouldn’t be considered vaccinated until mid July so **** this

I think, that for us in the West, the AZ vaccine is effectively a dead man walking. Its on borrowed time - it may well be a fine vaccine but there have always been enough caveats and explanations along the way, and now the clots issue which could easily be blown way out of proportion by hysteria. Once the wealthy countries don't need it and have plenty of other options AZ will be dropped like a hot potato IMO.
    I'd take it myself in a heartbeat if offered it but I'm months away from getting offered a shot.

I know Dr Fauci had said AZ won’t be needed in the US now. Novovax (which I personally think is the best one) is going for approval in a few weeks in the US.

Unfortunately AZ has politics thrown in now with the EU/ UK spat. Plus AZ (and I’ve done contract work with them before for clinical trials designs) have a history of making a balls out of clinical testing. They are/were mandated to go through CROs to check and verify anything done in the US to get FDA approval. So to say AZ has history in this regard is an understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Typical kite flying article. Planting the seed of the idea so that when it does come about in May/June it'll be well planted in peoples minds. Not the first or last time we've seen kite flying from government with controversial measures.

Wouldn't be the first time the examiner was miles away from reality.

The content of the article is markedly different from the headline as I've already posted. Headline gives a definitive outcome, article is full of speculation.

There's not a chance that any of this comes in soon for a large number of reason ranging from practicalities to the actual technology behind it.

I'd say it's pretty safe to give the article a wide berth.

• Advertisement

True enough. I think there'd be some token "show" though, somewhere along the line, maybe a health and safety issue or something.
    I see hospitality and big events as far more likely targets but people will still need to be offered other options. May is not really a good time to even consider, with so few fully vaccinated, unless it's just to cut older cohorts some slack.

marno21 wrote: »
    Leo Varadkar did a presentation on social media last week outlining:

1. The continued decline of all metrics (case numbers, deaths, hospitalisations & ICU)
    2. How the vaccine rollout is ramping up
    3. How this may allow us to reopen as time goes on

All positive, but also realistic.

The negative tone that Micheal Martin continues to use no longer has any basis in reality. There is no reason for any negativity atm. It’s absolutely bizarre why this continues as it is doing the Government no favours at all

Nail on the head there.

To be fair, we have really lost a lot by having Leo swapped out for that wet rag MM since last summer. Leo was very good for us and our spirits. Even his tánaiste-level taoiseaching has been much better than MM at virtually all times.

Disclaimer: I have never voted for FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I was wondering why Aisling O'Loughlin(former Xpose presenter,I had to look that up) was appearing on my twitter timeline. She has gone down the rabbit hole of the conspiracy theorists and is posting some awful bat**** crazy stuff on Instagram about vaccines and masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

226 in hospital this morning, the numbers just keep getting better.

It will remain, "The lowest since before Xmas" for quite a while because in the run-up to Xmas hospitals discharged as many patients as they reasonably could. This is to allow patients get home for Xmas but also to reduce the pressure in the system while staff levels are that bit lower.

If we get below 200 next week, then by the end of the month we're realistically approaching hospital numbers that we haven't seen since last September.

Which means there will be very little justification for the reopening of stuff in May to not be accelerated. Outdoor dining & boozing, sports, personal services, non-essential retail, etc. Maybe even self-catering accommodation in hotels. NPHET will undoubtedly still want a cautious approach, but the pressure on Government will be immense, and the numbers will only add to that pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Nail on the head there.

To be fair, we have really lost a lot by having Leo swapped out for that wet rag MM since last summer. Leo was very good for us and our spirits. Even his tánaiste-level taoiseaching has been much better than MM at virtually all times.

Disclaimer: I have never voted for FG.

The leak has constantly being briefing against MM because he is nothing more than a media houndbut there’s a thread for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The way I see it I will most likely be offered AZ when it my turn . I will definitely take it but be slightly disappointed that I don’t qualify for Pfizer .
    If the put three or four vaccines in front of me and ask me to pick one I would not pick AZ . It would be bottom of my list . But beggars can’t be choosers so I will take what I am offered and be a bit miffed that I have to wait 15 weeks to be fully vaccinated when my husband will be in 5 weeks.

Can you imagine trying to orchestrate a two tier system here? One that would now have the nurses on one side and the teachers on the other?!
    That would be battle to end all battles! The immovable object against the unstoppable force.

I almost want to see that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I know Dr Fauci had said AZ won’t be needed in the US now. Novovax (which I personally think is the best one) is going for approval in a few weeks in the US.

Unfortunately AZ has politics thrown in now with the EU/ UK spat. Plus AZ (and I’ve done contract work with them before for clinical trials designs) have a history of making a balls out of clinical testing. They are/were mandated to go through CROs to check and verify anything done in the US to get FDA approval. So to say AZ has history in this regard is an understatement.

The minute it’ll be feasible to do so AZ will be dropped by anyone who can. It’s been one continuous train wreck from beginning to end.

Pfizer/Biontech have played an absolute blinder in comparison. Much more logistical challenges, cutting edge manufacturing and they have lived up to expectations.

Perhaps if the UK had let Oxford partner with someone more competent it would have given a better result for the world as a whole.

I was wondering why Aisling O'Loughlin(former Xpose presenter,I had to look that up) was appearing on my twitter timeline. She has gone down the rabbit hole of the conspiracy theorists and is posting some awful bat**** crazy stuff on Instagram about vaccines and masks.

link???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

marno21 wrote: »
    The minute it’ll be feasible to do so AZ will be dropped by anyone who can. It’s been one continuous train wreck from beginning to end.

Pfizer/Biontech have played an absolute blinder in comparison. Much more logistical challenges, cutting edge manufacturing and they have lived up to expectations.

Perhaps if the UK had let Oxford partner with someone more competent it would have given a better result for the world as a whole.

Hindsight is 20/20

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement