Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭giveitholly

rusty cole wrote: »
    link???

She has videos up on her Instagram account,don't know how to link them here but below is a Twitter account talking about her

https://twitter.com/ThePhoenixMag/status/1379712834490265602?s=19

She has videos up on her Instagram account,don't know how to link them here but below is a Twitter account talking about her

https://twitter.com/ThePhoenixMag/status/1379712834490265602?s=19

how is she gone down a rabbit hole? she lives in France and uptake there is in the low 50% bracket. so half the population of France are down this big rabbit hole?
    that's some mysterious dark Jim jones like figure converting half of France isn't it...

she has a point of view and a reason/platform for saying it , so what?
    slow news day I guess.

how is she gone down a rabbit hole? she lives in France and uptake there is in the low 50% bracket. so half the population of France are down this big rabbit hole?
    that's some mysterious dark Jim jones like figure converting half of France isn't it...

slow news day I guess.

Did you look at her videos about wearing masks?

slow news day I guess.

The reason is nonsense and the platform is fashion - stacks up

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

slow news day I guess.
    Nah, if you look at the videos, it's actually all batsh1t stuff. Claiming that children are "gasping for breath" wearing masks, claiming that masks are bad for your health because you're breathing in "waste air" all day, etc.

She calls the vaccines "experimental drugs" and believes that the whole thing is a big scam.

So, yeah, she's down the rabbit hole.

IIRC she had a fairly high-profile mental breakdown along the lines of Britney Spears a while back, and she's spoken on mental health issues a few times.

So it's not a leap to suggest that she's unfortunately struggling with mental health again. And like G O'D's mental struggles, people watching her nonsense and discussing it only adds fuel to the flames.
    It would be better if people just ignored her rather than sending her deeper into the spiral by giving it publicity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

seamus wrote: »
    Which means there will be very little justification for the reopening of stuff in May to not be accelerated. Outdoor dining & boozing, sports, personal services, non-essential retail, etc. Maybe even self-catering accommodation in hotels. NPHET will undoubtedly still want a cautious approach, but the pressure on Government will be immense, and the numbers will only add to that pressure.

But... we are dealing with "a whole new virus" Micheál will tell us

mloc123 wrote: »

Or his new preferred phrase, "an altogether different beast".

Nah, if you look at the videos, it's actually all batsh1t stuff. Claiming that children are "gasping for breath" wearing masks, claiming that masks are bad for your health because you're breathing in "waste air" all day, etc.

She calls the vaccines "experimental drugs" and believes that the whole thing is a big scam.

IIRC she had a fairly high-profile mental breakdown along the lines of Britney Spears a while back, and she's spoken on mental health issues a few times.

So it's not a leap to suggest that she's unfortunately struggling with mental health again. And like G O'D's mental struggles, people watching her nonsense and discussing it only adds fuel to the flames.
    It would be better if people just ignored her rather than sending her deeper into the spiral by giving it publicity.

Didn't realise she had mental health problems,actually feel sorry for her then,probably explains her rants so

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Its at these stages where we've really seen the plebs in charge struggle, they have it "easy" when they have a lockdown in place. Now that we are getting some easing they are absolutely HOPELESS, the "strategies" they use are ridiculous and seem to make Ireland look like a laughing stock

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Vaccinated to go the hairdressers or the shops? all the government are doing are creating a huge divide between the vaccinated and the unvaccinated . Then they need to vaccinate shop workers and hairdressers etc.
    I don't think vaccine should be mandatory either with the high survival rate of the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

marno21 wrote: »
    The minute it’ll be feasible to do so AZ will be dropped by anyone who can. It’s been one continuous train wreck from beginning to end.

Pfizer/Biontech have played an absolute blinder in comparison. Much more logistical challenges, cutting edge manufacturing and they have lived up to expectations.

Perhaps if the UK had let Oxford partner with someone more competent it would have given a better result for the world as a whole.

I agree that AZ will migrate over to emerging markets and GAVI type countries however its slightly disingenuous to compare Pfizer to AZ

Pfizer bought a company for the sole purpose of RNA development, and are making 15B per year on the vaccine.

AZ partnered with an academic institution and are making the vaccine at essentially cost price - one could conceivably argue that AZ are in fact much more valuable in terms of providing a low cost global solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Its at these stages where we've really seen the plebs in charge struggle, they have it "easy" when they have a lockdown in place. Now that we are getting some easing they are absolutely HOPELESS, the "strategies" they use are ridiculous and seem to make Ireland look like a laughing stock

This is always going to be an issue when the Dail is filled with career politicians, ex teachers and publicans who rely on populist support to stay employed.

When things are very bad they can impose lockdown and everyone is happy. Now, when hard decisions are to be made they are seen to be floundering and becoming more susceptible to lobbying from various groups

Now in saying all that, I'd never want to become a politician. You open up your entire life to scrutiny, get abuse from all sides and one decision that isn't popular (even if it's the right thing to do) could see your career over. That same issue could make it very hard for you to get a job in the future too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

namloc1980 wrote: »

Have to say I don't like the way this is going. Vaccine passports to get a haircut.

They can feck off, I'll turn up for my haircut with my mask.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I agree that AZ will migrate over to emerging markets and GAVI type countries however its slightly disingenuous to compare Pfizer to AZ

Pfizer bought a company for the sole purpose of RNA development, and are making 15B per year on the vaccine.

AZ partnered with an academic institution and are making the vaccine at essentially cost price - one could conceivably argue that AZ are in fact much more valuable in terms of providing a low cost global solution.

And to be fair to AZ, that is what they do. They don’t have the expertise or capacity of a Pfizer or a j&J, and that was evident in the way that they engaged with the regulators. Given the nature of the company, they have made a fantastic contribution to the vaccine effort. And when the others step up, they’ll go back to what they do best

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They can feck off, I'll turn up for my haircut with my mask.

Very unlikely to happen and just another crap newspaper article.

To answer the other poster, No I don't have twitter that's why I just asked for a link. But I can tell you this fair play to you, your post above is spot on, not just a dismissive blanket of she's crazy but 100% plausible context. There's a lot of broken minds being exploited but again that doesn't mean everyone is crazy for adding a contra entry of any measure..hers seems to be fueled on the high end of the spectrum if that's what she's repeating. I'd say repeating because all of these people on twitter wouldn't know alveoli from ravioli!! very strange so yes she should stick to fashion.

that's a good post thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

mloc123 wrote: »

The new virus is called NPHET.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

namloc1980 wrote: »

Have to say I don't like the way this is going. Vaccine passports to get a haircut.

I'll probably get hopped on for being a government mouthpiece, or whatever, but vaccine passports are very likely to be relatively short lived if introduced. While there is a large group of unvaccinated they may be needed but once critical mass is reached and everyone has one, no one will look for them before allowing people to enter. They're already becoming irrelevant in Israel.

It's like asking a nation of 17 year olds for ID for a year and then once everyone turns 18 you dont ask any more. No democratic government wants to bring these in as they're an unpopular idea, but if you think this is some level of nefarious control then you need have a proper think about it.

I'll probably get hopped on for being a government mouthpiece, or whatever, but vaccine passports are very likely to be relatively short lived if introduced. While there is a large group of unvaccinated they may be needed but once critical mass is reached and everyone has one, no one will look for them before allowing people to enter. They're already becoming irrelevant in Israel.

It's like asking a nation of 17 year olds for ID for a year and then once everyone turns 18 you dont ask any more. No democratic government wants to bring these in as they're an unpopular idea, but if you think this is some level of nefarious control then you need have a proper think about it.

The government will tell you that's conspiracy talk but they hardly help the case or instill thrust based on the ID card fiasco..they've themselves to blame if nobody trusts they're greater good motive talk. it's the arrogance that annoys most of us too.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/state-will-not-learn-from-public-services-card-fiasco-1.3993229

https://www.thejournal.ie/public-services-card-report-regina-doherty-4813611-Sep2019/

The government will tell you that's conspiracy talk but they hardly help the case or instill thrust based on the ID card fiasco..they've themselves to blame if nobody trusts they're greater good motive talk. it's the arrogance that annoys most of us too.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/state-will-not-learn-from-public-services-card-fiasco-1.3993229

https://www.thejournal.ie/public-services-card-report-regina-doherty-4813611-Sep2019/

Oh absolutely, it'll be a clusterf*ck of an implementation given track record, I was more dampening down the idea that it was some form of control or tracking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

Oh absolutely, it'll be a clusterf*ck of an implementation given track record, I was more dampening down the idea that it was some form of control or tracking.

I am dead against them - but not for those reasons as, yes, those reasons are a little ridiculous. There is more than one way to skin a cat though, to be fair.

And then there's the question of fairness too which should not be overlooked.

Not to mention they most likely would not work anyway. If a barber shop is open, then it's open and, well, a paper doesn't refuse ink.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The vaccines passports worked exceptionally well in Israel and allowed an accelerated reopening of the higher risk indoors venues. Governments everywhere will definitely be taking that it account.

Is it fair? Nope. Very little has been fair during this pandemic. A certification or passport system is another unfair option. Just that this time it may assist the economy.

It'll be a moot point come Oct*. However, until that time it'll be very interesting to see what steps Ireland take.

*assuming a variant does not fck everything up

Turtwig wrote: »

Variants are popping up all over the place, probably tens of thousands of them at this stage, or more.

Only a handful are problematic. Even then, existing vaccines can be easily modified as they are dealing with the same "beast", which can never ever mutate into anything other than a version of itself.

So, even when NPHET begins the New Variant Fear campaign, which will probably go into force at the start of June, it should be no reason whatsoever to un-lock the economy, the country, and her people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If the passport is domestically based on getting 2 doses + another 2 weeks its beyond unworkable

The vaccines passports worked exceptionally well in Israel and allowed an accelerated reopening of the higher risk indoors venues. Governments everywhere will definitely be taking that it account.

Is it fair? Nope. Very little has been fair during this pandemic. A certification or passport system is another unfair option. Just that this time it may assist the economy.

It'll be a moot point come Oct*. However, until that time it'll be very interesting to see what steps Ireland take.

I think this is key. We've already seen lots of arguments of "let the healthy get on with it and those scared stay home". With a vaccine cert it will allow a faster reopening for the immune to continue on with life, but this time the numbers of those certified immune will grow every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It'd be incredibly unfair to ask businesses to stay closed until everyone has been offered a vaccine if it is safe for them to reopen earlier to vaccinated people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

hmmm wrote: »
    It'd be incredibly unfair to ask businesses to stay closed until everyone has been offered a vaccine if it is safe for them to reopen earlier to vaccinated people.

The question is, is it workable? In my opinion it's not, unless a negative test can also be provided as proof of service

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

So what is the situation with Ireland? The cases are ridicously low and one of the best in Europe but have the tighest restrictions in Europe nearly.

Here in Switzerland, cases are higher but managable and life is like normal with the exception of some restictions like masks and restarants still closed

When are things going to be lifted so that relative normal life can resume

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭dublin49

There will always be a cohort of the population that will be extremely suspicious and resistant to any form of additional identification like vaccination passports etc.That is their right ,what is not their right is to deny those that want to participate in a scheme that requires these additional measures to allow earlier access to travel,restaurants etc.Sometimes your principles come with a cost and its up to each individual to decide what is best for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

Many people have had their lives shut down for over a year specifically to protect the old and the vulnerable and, by extension, prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed.

But the old and the vulnerable are being protected now. So they can return to going about their business, right? Well so can everyone else then.

Why would everyone else need to continue staying locked down? For what purpose? There is no longer a real and overwhelming threat to the hospitals so let's start opening everything up to everyone again. If the goal is now to assist the economy, then let's get that moving asap.

If there are stragglers that need to continue sheltering for the moment, then so be it. Let them continue sheltering - but the entire country no longer needs to be wholly closed off from itself.

*If the situation changes down the line (variants and new spikes etc) then we adjust accordingly at that point. But at the moment, the objective of the lockdowns has been achieved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement