Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The question is, is it workable? In my opinion it's not, unless a negative test can also be provided as proof of service
    If it's only for a few months and indoor hospitality I'd keep it really simple and look for evidence of vaccination - this was the Israeli approach. No messing around with tests or letters from your doctor to say you are allergic to needles. And I would shut businesses down if they didn't follow the rules, as it puts the entire industry at risk.

It's going to exclude some people (myself included), but I'd be happy to see restaurants and pubs given a chance to reopen early.

For something more important (e.g. international travel) we'd need something more robust i.e. vaccines, tests, exceptions for people who can't get vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

I think the government secretly wants to achieve zero Covid and MM wants to be admired like Arden from NZ

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

dublin49 wrote: »
    There will always be a cohort of the population that will be extremely suspicious and resistant to any form of additional identification like vaccination passports etc.That is their right ,what is not their right is to deny those that want to participate in a scheme that requires these additional measures to allow earlier access to travel,restaurants etc.Sometimes your principles come with a cost and its up to each individual to decide what is best for them.

You have it backwards. The goal was to protect the old and the vulnerable to ensure hospitals are not overwhelmed. That has just about been achieved now. So the next step is to open up for the young, the healthy and the vaccinated. Those that wish to hold off can continue holding off. Everyone else can move on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

hmmm wrote: »
    It'd be incredibly unfair to ask businesses to stay closed until everyone has been offered a vaccine if it is safe for them to reopen earlier to vaccinated people.
    We won't have any appreciable numbers fully vaccinated by August. Then the rest are likely be done over a much shorter period. Hospitality is the only area where higher risk exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

Why isn't NPHET encouraging people to take Vitamin D tablets? It's obvious that Vitamin D alleviates Covid symptoms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

kilns wrote: »
    So what is the situation with Ireland? The cases are ridicously low and one of the best in Europe but have the tighest restrictions in Europe nearly.

Here in Switzerland, cases are higher but managable and life is like normal with the exception of some restictions like masks and restarants still closed

When are things going to be lifted so that relative normal life can resume

We also have the weakest health system in Europe. Doesn't take too much to put it under significant durress. I'd imagine we won't see anything close to normality until a significant proportion are vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Why isn't NPHET encouraging people to take Vitamin D tablets? It's obvious that Vitamin D alleviates Covid symptoms.

Is it? please enlighten us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭optogirl

This has been on the news several times - RTE news devoted about 10 minutes to it yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

So what is the situation with Ireland? The cases are ridicously low and one of the best in Europe but have the tighest restrictions in Europe nearly.
    If you will permit me to rearrange your words slightly...
    The situation with Ireland is that they have the tightest restrictions in Europe and so the cases are ridiculously low and one of the best in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

I would hope NPHET would recommend something like that based on whether it was proven, rather than it being 'obvious'.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

Since they are finding on average 50 cases more asymptomatic people a day than they would have pre March 25th this will make the R number look worse than it was previously when we weren't detecting these cases.

Vitamin D boosts the immune system in general, and would benefit most in northern latitudes to supplement with vitamin D in winter. I dont believe there is any specific evidence on the effect against covid specifically. I also dont think the Brazilians or Mexicans are too deficient in Vitamin D.

Everyone longs for a magic bullet. We have it now, they are the vaccines. Everything else is marginal gains

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

448 positive swabs, 2.35% positivity on 19,099 tests.
    7 day test positivity is 2.9%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

hmmm wrote: »
    It'd be incredibly unfair to ask businesses to stay closed until everyone has been offered a vaccine if it is safe for them to reopen earlier to vaccinated people.

Makes sense on paper but I’m not sure Urban Outfitters will bother opening if the only people allowed in shops are 70+ years of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Very good numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭giveitholly

But but but what about the midweek spike in cases where thursday is the new Wednesday because of the bank holiday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

50% of people who tested positive in the walk ins had symptoms. Strange, people were told not to go to the walk ins if they had symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Very good for the Wednesday (Thursday) after weekend boost

Great to see positivity rate under 3%

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Those are fantastic numbers. No bump this week. Absolutely fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Great positivity rate. Let's move on to allow some more freedoms for our people please.

shamco wrote: »
    Since they are finding on average 50 cases more asymptomatic people a day than they would have pre March 25th this will make the R number look worse than it was previously when we weren't detecting these cases.

Increased testing factors into the model. And we are now two weeks post the change in testing criteria - r0 is calculated over 5 to 7 days I believe, therefore, any effect that may have been there due to increased testing is now gone.

And even so - at 50 extra cases per day, even if the models did not account for it, the effect of this on the r0 at a time we were getting over 500 cases a day is within the margin of error

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Don't forget that 761 cases (from last Thursday) is falling off the 7 day average today. So this is a big drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

I would hope NPHET would recommend something like that based on whether it was proven, rather than it being 'obvious'.

I don't understand this discussion at all. Irish people are advised to take Vitamin D supplements across winter months because we don't take in enough naturally. Vitamin D supplements are good for you - you should take them.

If it turns out that Vitamin D also helps with Covid19 then that's a big Brucey-bonus. But if it doesn't, you should still take it anyway because it's still good for you.

Hashtag-boxed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭pauldry

RTE will say numbers are flat but they dont take into account the positivity, I dont think they know in RTE what that word means

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Can you get infected with covid even after taking vaccine? Seems that you can.
    What I struggle to understand is that folks going into rage when someone say they do not take vaccine, claiming that these dirty "antivaxxers" will be killing grannies do not realize that they too will become potential granny-killers.

There are no absolutes. It's about playing the odds and tilting them very much in your (or your granny's) favour.

Without vaccination you are very much more likely to contract CoViD-19 and in turn pass it on to others. With vaccination the chances of contracting CoViD-19 are very much reduced as are the chances of passing it on to someone else, even more so when the community vaccination level is sufficient to provide here immunity.

Vaccinations are the main reason why illnesses which were common in our parent's and grandparent's time are now uncommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Makes sense on paper but I’m not sure Urban Outfitters will bother opening if the only people allowed in shops are 70+ years of age.

Healthcare workers are young , many on the vulnerable list are young .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

jhegarty wrote: »
    Don't forget that 761 cases (from last Thursday) is falling off the 7 day average today. So this is a big drop.

Yep probably looking at about 450 on the 7 day average I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

marno21 wrote: »
    Those are fantastic numbers. No bump this week. Absolutely fantastic.

NPHET will still need to spread some doom and gloom at the briefing later on

I'm sure the situation is still precarious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Here in Switzerland, cases are higher but managable and life is like normal with the exception of some restictions like masks and restarants still closed

When are things going to be lifted so that relative normal life can resume

i think they are waiting for Godot

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement