Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Comments

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    NPHET will still need to spread some doom and gloom at the briefing later on

I'm sure the situation is still precarious

Ronan Glynn: "We've identified a cluster of unusual rash in 4 patients. The situation is therefore still highly precarious. We are therefore urging the public to stay at home, and limit your contacts.

I will now pass you over to Professor Nolan for today's weather".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

i think they are waiting for Godot

Gal? I'd gladly wait :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭pauldry

I hope they dont "find" some extra cases too like for example 583 cases

They seem to be fond of doing that........as well as notifying us of deaths from the past 4 months (RIP)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

shamco wrote: »
    I think the government secretly wants to achieve zero Covid and MM wants to be admired like Arden from NZ

There was a simpler way to do that but then we constantly reinvent the wheel in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Ronan Glynn: "We've identified a cluster of unusual rash in 4 patients. The situation is therefore still highly precarious. We are therefore urging the public to stay at home, and limit your contacts.

How about sticking to facts and waiting until they actually say something you don't like and then ridicule them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,349 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

"I'm afraid to say the weather will be volatile over the next few weeks, umbrella's will be mandatory for every citizen."

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Messi19

pauldry wrote: »
    RTE will say numbers are flat but they dont take into account the positivity, I dont think they know in RTE what that word means

Did anyone else see George Lee at 1 o'clock? Eileen Whelan mentions hospital numbers dropping and he was straight in with the doom and gloom of but but but Easter. We've not seen Easter and the thousands of cases it will bring. How dare she piss on his misery parade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Messi19 wrote: »
    Did anyone else see George Lee at 1 o'clock? Eileen Whelan mentions hospital numbers dropping and he was straight in with the doom and gloom of but but but Easter. We've not seen Easter and the thousands of cases it will bring. How dare she piss on his misery parade

Saw that alright. He's pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

I hope they give us contact tracing info on these asymptomatic positives at tonight's briefing. Is there any identifiable differences/trends or no new insights?
    This info should be available for the first five centres which had a positivity of about 3% from 14k tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

hmmm wrote: »
    It'd be incredibly unfair to ask businesses to stay closed until everyone has been offered a vaccine if it is safe for them to reopen earlier to vaccinated people.

One of the points I've seen around is: If you open the shops only to the vaccinates, what about the staff? They're likely not vaccinated at this point, but you would force them to go to work anyway.

Case Numbers

Over 85s was 2,604 on the 21st of Jan and is just 78 today - a 97% reduction in case levels in the age cohort with nearly half of deaths.

75-84 has a 94.2% reduction and 65-74 has 91.5%.

One million doses of COVID-19 vaccines have now been administered in Ireland!

Excellent progress!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

One million doses of COVID-19 vaccines have now been administered in Ireland! Excellent progress!

We know, we know - sure you can see all the old needles down on the boardwalk over the Liffey. Could have tidied as they went like.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Messi19

muddypuppy wrote: »
    One of the points I've seen around is: If you open the shops only to the vaccinates, what about the staff? They're likely not vaccinated at this point, but you would force them to go to work anyway.

I'd say you've answered your own question there

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Saw that alright. He's pathetic.

Agreed, it’s time he was retired. His unchallenged and unfounded negativity is just awful journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

Corholio wrote: »
    50% of people who tested positive in the walk ins had symptoms. Strange, people were told not to go to the walk ins if they had symptoms.

I would love to see what is the definition of "symptoms" in this case. It's one thing to have difficulty breathing or no sense of smell/taste, it's another to have a bit of a dry throat, the sniffles or feeling a bit off. Easy to overlook the second.

But also some people might go to those testing centers for fun, but I think the vast majority has some reasons - maybe they thing they're close contact of someone they know but the HSE didn't contact them, feel a little under the weather etc... I doubt there are lots of people waking up and says "you know what - I'm tired of the usual routine, today I'll get a covid test"

Golfman64 wrote: »
    Agreed, it’s time he was retired. His unchallenged and unfounded negativity is just awful journalism.

It's not George Lee's job to be positive; it's to present the facts, however unpalatable and emotionally flat those facts may be.

His questions to NPHET are still head and shoulders above the other self-referred "journalists" at these biweekly conferences, which we'll have to suffer through later today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

It's not George Lee's job to be positive; it's to present the facts, however unpalatable and emotionally flat those facts may be.

His questions to NPHET are still head and shoulders above the other self-referred "journalists" at these biweekly conferences, which we'll have to suffer through later today.

George is litteraly a government mouthpiece these days. The only time he is positive on the news is when he is talking about what a great job the government have done on vaccine roll out etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

50% of people who tested positive in the walk ins had symptoms. Strange, people were told not to go to the walk ins if they had symptoms.

At first I thought this was a joke. Is this deffo true?? WTF like!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭sekond

I would love to see what is the definition of "symptoms" in this case. It's one thing to have difficulty breathing or no sense of smell/taste, it's another to have a bit of a dry throat, the sniffles or feeling a bit off. Easy to overlook the second.
    "

Exactly this. At this time of the year I am usually coughing, sneezing and sniffing a lot because of allergies. When they first kick in, I often have a day or so of needing to sleep a lot and a scratchy throat. Those symptoms were the exact symptoms I had when I had (presumed - I hadn't been to Italy) covid last March. I did get a lot sicker, so it became quite obvious, but had a walk in centre been available last March I would have gone to get a test for peace of mind before visiting elderly relatives - fully expecting to test negative. I can see plenty of people with mild/allergy-like symptoms presenting at a test centre not considering they had "covid symptoms".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,308 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

mloc123 wrote: »
    George is litteraly a government mouthpiece these days. The only time he is positive on the news is when he is talking about what a great job the government have done on vaccine roll out etc..

Fergal bowers is doing a great job in just giving the numbers and he normally says whether that’s up or down as the last time. He doesn’t give his opinion when it’s to do with numbers. George lee is just causing unnecessary fear and anxiety(there’s been enough of that anyway the past year) to the public that listen to him speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

sekond wrote: »
    Exactly this. At this time of the year I am usually coughing, sneezing and sniffing a lot because of allergies. When they first kick in, I often have a day or so of needing to sleep a lot and a scratchy throat. Those symptoms were the exact symptoms I had when I had (presumed - I hadn't been to Italy) covid last March. I did get a lot sicker, so it became quite obvious, but had a walk in centre been available last March I would have gone to get a test for peace of mind before visiting elderly relatives - fully expecting to test negative. I can see plenty of people with mild/allergy-like symptoms presenting at a test centre not considering they had "covid symptoms".

Fair point. Actually the HSE state not to go if you have following symptoms:

"These include a high temperature, a new cough, shortness of breath or a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste."

So the question is whether the walk in's had those symptoms, or more common cold symptoms. If they are reporting that they had covid specific symptoms as above, there is no excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

At first I thought this was a joke. Is this deffo true?? WTF like!

I'm not surprised at all. I tried to get a test in Sept when teaching afterschool classes. I had a headache, sore throat and stuffy nose and one of the kids in the class I had been teaching had a persistent cough, but the GP wouldn't send anyone for testing unless they had one of the headline four covid symptoms. Another GP in the same area was on the radio a week later saying that almost every close contact in the area who tested positive only had a sore throat. They needed to roll out these walk-in testing centres last year whenever they had extra capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

hmmm wrote: »
    It'd be incredibly unfair to ask businesses to stay closed until everyone has been offered a vaccine if it is safe for them to reopen earlier to vaccinated people.

Depends on what your business is. For example come May are there enough people vaccinated for it to be viable to open up your business such as a hairdressers.

Then some businesses make their money predominantly from certain age groups. In my experience cinemas don’t tend to get many elderly patrons that is just one example off the top of my head.

Then let’s fast forward to the summer. Families will want to staycation before the kids go back to school so July/ August. It would be a huge loss of business to hotels if they have to say no to young families because parents are in 20’s/ 30’s and won’t be fully vaccinated until after the second dose. (Also children won’t be done).

I have elderly/older relatives/neighbours and they are comfortable etc. But they don’t tend to eat out as often, or drink as often as younger people. They buy what they need when they need it. A treat is a scone and a cup of tea in the cafe. It’s not a regular thing like it would be compared to younger ages.

How good for business is this idea to open up for vaccinated people only? I am not convinced it is viable in all circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I expect they ask everyone who walks in, do you have any of these symptoms?

They also had to know that this was going to happen. Many people just don't want to ring the GP. Many people may not even have a GP. A walk-in test centre lets you go anonymously. Nobody needs to know you're getting tested, nobody needs to know you have symptoms. Nobody needs to know your result.

If you ring up the GP and they refer you, they will also instruct you to self-isolate until you get called for your test, and until you get your result. And that opens up a whole can of worms that you have to tell people you can't go out with them, you can't go to work, etc etc.

You can argue that someone should just do this anyway, but there's a psychological difference. If nobody has formally told you to self-isolate, then you can convince yourself you don't have to. "I just did a walk-in test, I'm sure I'm grand, don't have to self-isolate".

On balance it's a good thing because these people would just never have been tested. They still wouldn't have called their GP, they'd have just gone about their business until the illness passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

He blamed the pubs for the spike two weeks ago. That's as far from facts as you can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

3 of us went to the D15 one as we were close contacts. 2/3 tested positive & the 3rd person went back 2 days later & the second test was positive. Our close contact was a child & I had to take her to the Cloghran test centre the day after. When I arrived there they said she should have been tested at the Walk in Centre even with symptoms as the criteria were only guidelines & in our case the child in question has very compromising health issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

jhegarty wrote: »
    He blamed the pubs for the spike two weeks ago. That's as far from facts as you can get.

Spike? Pubs? Havent watched the news in ages. Is that the level they're still at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Spike? Pubs?

An outbreak in a school caused quite a lot of positive cases, there was far more affected than was announced.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement