Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hallelujah, the rhetoric appears to be changing!

Nah wait a few minutes and they'll say we still need to hold firm for another six weeks!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Maybe because the situation is changing and they can say things with much more confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Schools are absolutely not low risk! The last 2 weeks here are proof of that!

It’ll switch now to variants and international travel and hotel quarantine

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

harr wrote: »
    Still under investigation, blood clots happen every day it could be still a coincidence. Possibility of one case out of how many administered.

It's a rare blood clot that is a listed side effect of Astrazeneca. Conincide my back side!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Knine wrote: »
    Explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

JP100 wrote: »
    It's a rare blood clot that is a listed side effect of Astrazeneca. Conincide my back side!

Let the investigation take place and HPRA & NIAC come to the conclusion first

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Anyone who looks at the daily numbers can tell this.

What is his expertise exactly?

Haha 🤣

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

cjyid wrote: »
    #LATEST

Prof Philip Nolan: Situation 'stable', perhaps improving.

Nolan says analysis shows school remain a "low risk setting"

5-day average declining "rapidly" says Nolan.

Nolan says "we're not yet seeing" any increase in cases from Easter weekend - that's a "positive" sign.

Great news that it's stabilising / declining with the schools closed. Now let's do that with them open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Nolan telling us what we knew already but some journalists chose to ignore. The spike in cases we had February and mid March was because of an increase in testing.

• Advertisement

Faugheen wrote: »
    Watch someone take one tweet out of context without actually watching the briefing making it look like NPHET want to rule the world.

The quicker NPHET are disbanded the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Yawn...

lukas8888 wrote: »
    Explain.

We followed guidelines all year, only 1 social bubble visitor. Only left the house to go for walks and food shop. My daughter caught it in school and we all tested positive. Luckily I was very careful with contacts & did not go visit my very high risk family members!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

On the face of it from the details in the article it would be one hell of a coincidence for this to be unrelated to the vaccine administration.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,088 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Nolan telling us what we knew already but some journalists chose to ignore. The spike in cases we had February and mid March was because of an increase in testing.

When schools are open more people go to work.
    When weather improves more people go outside.

Insightful stuff.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

JP100 wrote: »
    The quicker NPHET are disbanded the better.

Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Jesus Philip Nolan is a boring speaker. actually nodded off there!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

In terms of COVID spread they are considered low risk. The new variant may have altered that but the picture is still unclear in that regard. Schools are not a driver of spread. Compared to restaurants or gyms, the additional risk to the community from COVID is considerably lower.

People seemed to think the claim is schools are zero risk. Nobody is saying that. They are a lower risk when compared to other environments. Then as a society we have to decide whether that additional risk of spread of COVID from schools is worth the trade off for children's education or not.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Yawn...

Really? Yawn?

Hopefully what happened in my house the last 2 weeks does not visit your door! One person very close to me is very sick!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

Faugheen wrote: »
    Maybe because the situation is changing and they can say things with much more confidence.

The situations "may" be changing. "Nothing is certain "

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1380204987167473664?s=19

• Advertisement

That is an extremely low positivity rate! Much lower than in the community!

Also, I assume this includes the workers at the hotels etc!

A 0.023% positivity rate.

No, it's 2.3%

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

No, it's 2.3%
    :pac: Oops... Thanks

Still low and we don't know if they including staff at the hotel or not?

Also how many among the people had negative PCR tests on arrival or is just the people who turned up with no tests?

It is a useless number without any more detail and still well below the community rate in that time period.

Is they nothing you won't defend these organisations over on here! They've been messing up in the age cohorts for Astrazeneca for a while now and now have to be dragged, kicking and screaming into making any changes to the cohorts allocated for Astrazeneca.

Exactly. Schools - safe, outdoor activities - not safe! Thankfully though most people can see the spin for what it is now at this stage.

Turtwig wrote: »
    On the face of it from the details in the article it would be one hell of a coincidence for this to be unrelated to the vaccine administration.

Indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

That is an extremely low positivity rate! Much lower than in the community!

Also, I assume this includes the workers at the hotels etc!

A 2.3% positivity rate.

These people would’ve already have a negative Covid test to allow them to travel in the first place. You’d have to imagine so how many cases are coming through currently from other countries where hotel quarantine is not required or from people bypassing the hotel quarantine coming from high-risk countries. Or how many cases came through from travel when there were absolutely no controls, i.e before the need for a negative test.

A 2.3% positivity rate (I fixed your post) from people who would’ve tested negative a few days earlier is close enough to our overall positivity rate in the country and show the need for mandatory quarantine.

We followed guidelines all year, only 1 social bubble visitor. Only left the house to go for walks and food shop. My daughter caught it in school and we all tested positive. Luckily I was very careful with contacts & did not go visit my very high risk family members!

Yep, and unfortunately a regular story in communities all around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

These people would’ve already have a negative Covid test to allow them to travel in the first place. You’d have to imagine so how many cases are coming through currently from other countries where hotel quarantine is not required or from people bypassing the hotel quarantine coming from high-risk countries. Or how many cases came through from travel when there were absolutely no controls, i.e before the need for a negative test.

Yea the above positive rate is wrong. It is lower than the community rate and we don't know who is testing positive.

Is it the workers?

Is it people coming in without having had a PCR test?

Is it people coming with having already negative PCR tests?

The number is useless on its own.

Really? Yawn?

Hopefully what happened in my house the last 2 weeks does not visit your door! One person very close to me is very sick!

Sorry to hear that.

• Advertisement

Yea the above positive rate is wrong. It is lower than the community rate and we don't know who is testing positive.

Is it the workers?

Is it people coming in without having had a PCR test?

Is it people coming with having already negative PCR tests?

The number is useless on its own.

Everyone who goes into MHQ gets tested on day 2 and 10 I think?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement