Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

JP100 wrote: »
    Yep, and unfortunately a regular story in communities all around the country.

And the school is not opening next week! The official figures affected are far less than the reality & we were 'Told Off' if we asked questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Yea the above positive rate is wrong. It is lower than the community rate and we don't know who is testing positive.

It’s not that much lower. Our overall positivity rate hovers around the 3% daily. When you consider these people would’ve had a negative test in the few days prior, it’s very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Faugheen wrote: »
    Why is that?

Because they've become politician than the politicians themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It’s not that much lower. Our overall positivity rate hovers around the 3% daily. When you consider these people would’ve had a negative test in the few days prior, it’s very high.

No, that is what I am trying to highlight.

A lot of the people who are brought there now are people who arrive without a negative PCR test as still happens, especially for some shorter haul flights.

So your assumption above is false but most people will have similar beliefs as you as that is how it is portrayed.

We have no idea who the positives came from.
    ----

Rules at moment is if you arrive without a negative PCR you go the MHQ......if you arrive from the designated countries with or without a negative PCR you go to the MHQ

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Knine wrote: »
    We followed guidelines all year, only 1 social bubble visitor. Only left the house to go for walks and food shop. My daughter caught it in school and we all tested positive. Luckily I was very careful with contacts & did not go visit my very high risk family members!

So we should do what, exactly? Base public health policy on your one anecdote?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Because they've become politician than the politicians themselves.

Well this is bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Is they nothing you won't defend these organisations over on here! They've been messing up in the age cohorts for Astrazeneca for a while now and now have to be dragged, kicking and screaming into making any changes to the cohorts allocated for Astrazeneca.

Nice opening line, but what defending is there in a statement that says let the investigation take place first.

Your jumping to conclusions while the experts I'm sure will be currently gathering the information etc and will come to their conclusion.

Turtwig wrote: »
    On the face of it from the details in the article it would be one hell of a coincidence for this to be unrelated to the vaccine administration.

Absolutely but better for NIAC & HPRA to gather all the facts and information and go from there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

No, that is what I am trying to highlight.

A lot of the people who are brought there now are people who arrive without a negative PCR test as still happens, especially for some shorter haul flights.

So your assumption above is false but most people will have similar beliefs as you as that is how it is portrayed.

We have no idea who the positives came from.
    ----

Rules at moment is if you arrive without a negative PCR you go the MHQ......if you arrive from the designated countries with or without a negative PCR you go to the MHQ

So people are arriving without a negative test? It’s a good job so we have mandatory quarantine and that these cases are being picked up while they’re quarantining.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

So people are arriving without a negative test? It’s a good job so we have mandatory quarantine and that these cases are being picked up while they’re quarantining.

Yep, I would agree that we should have Quarantine and testing measures for those people who arrive without a negative PCR.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

Still bull****ting on about how to discredit that outdoors is safe.disband nphet to hell.they want zero COVID or in otherworlds a fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Variants of concern have escaped the vaccines reported around the world, anyone got a link to that ?

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Sanjuro wrote: »
    So we should do what, exactly? Base public health policy on your one anecdote?

Maybe they should have not broadcast that schools were safe!

One ' Anecote' as you put it has affected at the very least 40 people! Lets just hope there are no fatalities from that!

Still bull****ting on about how to discredit that outdoors is safe.disband nphet to hell.they want zero COVID or in otherworlds a fantasy.

Love to know where you heard this.

Another who actually isn’t watching the briefing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Absolutely but better for NIAC & HPRA to gather all the facts and information and go from there

100% Agree there. AZ will still have a place in our vaccination programme. We just need to identify the at risk cohorts to this particular type of event. If the reports in Europe are through that might just entail a pre-screening antibody test. Or monitoring people's bloods after the vaccination.

Just because a medication is linked to serious side effects fatalities doesn't mean it will cease being of use. The highest profile one I can recall in recent years is Tysabri.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,536 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Are you concerned about varients of concern?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Marty Bird wrote: »
    Variants of concern have escaped the vaccines reported around the world, anyone got a link to that ?
    No, because they haven't!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭Polar101

Arghus wrote: »
    Are you concerned about varients of concern?

I knew "variants of concern" was a poor term.

I preferred the "killer variants" myself, it was more edgy.

Polar101 wrote: »
    I knew "variants of concern" was a poor term.

I preferred the "killer variants" myself, it was more edgy.
    Acronyms is why - VOC and VUI!

Ronan Glynn showing that the nay-sayers don’t bother him whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

Faugheen wrote: »
    Love to know where you heard this.

Another who actually isn’t watching the briefing.

Watching the briefing and it’s the same auld bs from the sages at the top table

Conveniently left out that Glynn repeatedly said that outdoors are 20x safer than indoors and if people are going to meet then pleading with them to do so outdoors.

Why is that?

It’s worse, not only are you watching the briefing but you’re actually either ignoring its content or you’re intentionally cherry-picking one statement.

Also, just to remind you, the government can change the rules to outdoor gatherings any time it wants.

I keep saying, the HSE one is where it's at! Loads more to get your teeth in. This one is full of journalists who haven't learnt anything in a year!

Turtwig wrote: »
    100% Agree there. AZ will still have a place in our vaccination programme. We just need to identify the at risk cohorts to this particular type of event. If the reports in Europe are through that might just entail a pre-screening antibody test. Or monitoring people's bloods after the vaccination.

Just because a medication is linked to serious side effects fatalities doesn't mean it will cease being of use. The highest profile one I can recall in recent years is Tysabri.

Absolutely agree 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Knine wrote: »
    Maybe they should have not broadcast that schools were safe!

One ' Anecote' as you put it has affected at the very least 40 people! Lets just hope there are no fatalities from that!

Sorry to hear of your situation. Hopefully those affected recover quickly.

You can clearly see the rise and fall pre and post Easter in the relevant age groups (kids and parents of school going kids).

Of course we are told it's unrelated but it doesn't stand to reason IMO.

This is most pronounced in 1-4 and 5-14.

549578.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

News from earlier today, maybe already posted, but it's a bit of a stretch to vaccinate visiting board members imo.

The Mater Hospital in Dublin has confirmed that all its board members were offered a Covid-19 vaccine, and said it believed this was in line with the Health Service Executive's vaccine roll-out guidelines.

The hospital said that "some board members" accepted the offer.

According to the hospital's website there are 13 members on the hospital's Leadership Team.

In a statement today, the hospital said that the board is an integral part of the functioning of the Mater Hospital and is made up of frontline medical staff and non-executive directors whose roles and duties are essential to the hospital.

The statement went on to say that "some board members are required to attend the Mater in person as important issues arise which require board oversight".

"The safety of our patients and staff is our number one priority", it said.

The Mater said that all staff and board members of the hospital were offered a Covid-19 jab as part of the vaccination programme and the hospital said it believed this was consistent with the intention to protect staff and patients under the HSE's vaccine rollout guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Didn't get to watch this briefing. Did anyone ask or did they mention the impact of mandatory quarantine?

Guess, what I'm trying to ask here, is how much of an impact case numbers wise did the quarantine have? It would seem a fair assumption to me that people quarantined may not have self isolated and contributed to silent spread in the community leading to a higher number of infections than otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

You're quite clearly not able to have a reasonable discussion without resorting to trying to get personal and throw a dig here and there.

Spin merchants is a new one though, nice try at an insult.

I think I'll put my trust in Irish regulators if that's ok with you. Your entitled not to if you so wish.

You just have to understand that lots of other people do not share your belief in the infallible nature of Irish regulators and especially when they can see for themselves what is already happening in other countries in relation to AZ.

Glynn isn’t taking any bullsh*t today.

• Advertisement

0.008% of the population is getting infected each day.

Therefore, 99.992% of the population are justified in arguing for restrictions to be eased, fast.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement