Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Last year we were told there was no way any businesses would self police mask wearing.
    A sign at the door saying "please wear your mask". If you were to listen to some people, there are apparently shops where nobody is wearing any masks. So it's debateable whether businesses are self-policing or if people are just complying.

Policing vaccinations is a different matter entirely. You don't wear your vaccine on the front of your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

is_that_so wrote: »
    In my experience they largely don't because people do it themselves.

Saw a guy being asked to leave my local Centra last week for not having a mask on. Must've imagined it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    It was reported on, and posted here too, in the last few days. Do a search on the news site - I just couldn't be bothered going looking for it.

Ah I found it. 609 from 22k tests. That's not so bad. Extrapolate that to the population and you have 13,000 carriers wandering around. Not much we can do about that I suppose and it's probably the reason why we're getting about 3,000 positives a week from people with symptoms and their close contacts.

And 609 over two weeks isn't so much that it would be keeping our numbers high - it's only 40-50 a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

As I said in another post - officially they have ruled it out. Corporate America really likes the idea though. In the US the private sector often carries out duties of state.
    As a concept they don't need it, they are ripping through vaccinations at a great rate and should start to see the effects in a few months and they should hit herd immunity. The EU will only do so for as long as they think we need it. That could be weeks but unlikely to be months.

seamus wrote: »
    A sign at the door saying "please wear your mask". If you were to listen to some people, there are apparently shops where nobody is wearing any masks. So it's debateable whether businesses are self-policing or if people are just complying.

Policing vaccinations is a different matter entirely. You don't wear your vaccine on the front of your face.

No you'll carry your card/app/cert. I think it's very naive to think this stuff won't be introduced in some guise. Leo Varadkar has been banging on about introducing more "vaccine bonuses".

• Advertisement

Saw a guy being asked to leave my local Centra last week for not having a mask on. Must've imagined it.
    My anecdotes say otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

No you'll carry your card/app/cert. I think it's very naive to think this stuff won't be introduced in some guise. Leo Varadkar has been banging on about introducing more "vaccine bonuses".

And once these things come in, they're bloody hard to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

JDD wrote: »
    Ah I found it. 609 from 22k tests. That's not so bad. Extrapolate that to the population and you have 13,000 carriers wandering around. Not much we can do about that I suppose and it's probably the reason why we're getting about 3,000 positives a week from people with symptoms and their close contacts.

And 609 over two weeks isn't so much that it would be keeping our numbers high - it's only 40-50 a day.

You can't just extrapolate those results to the population, it is unclear at best whether those positive results are people who currently have it or have had it the last couple of months, half the people who were found positive had symptoms but chose the easiest way for them to be tested even though they were told not to and those test centres were targeted at covid hotspots.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I'm not sure business owners would object to a vaccination certification system of some kind if they were allowed resume operation quicker.

As a concept they don't need it, they are ripping through vaccinations at a great rate and should start to see the effects in a few months and they should hit herd immunity. The EU will only do so for as long as they think we need it. That could be weeks but unlikely to be months.

Either way, I don't live there - I live here where the roll-out is slow right around Europe and the EU loves crap like this. Many EU states are already with national ID cards and FG have been trying on the idea here for years.

Never waste a good crisis, like.

• Advertisement

Turtwig wrote: »
    I'm not sure business owners would object to a vaccination certification system of some kind if they were allowed resume operation quicker.
    If they are expected to keep over 50% out at the same time they might.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

The poster has a point to be fair. Last autumn/early winter, the gist of interaction between government and NPHET was as follows.

NPHET: "We need to do x and y to slow spread."

Government: "No"

NPHET: "OK"

Followed by leaks to media about how government put nasty NPHET back in their place and saved the restaurants/christmas/other topic of interest.

A couple of weeks later

Government: "Our cases are rising, what can we do?"

NPHET: "At this point, no choice but lockdown, too late to do anything else"

Government: "OK".

Followed by leaks to media about how government have no choice but to do what those big meanies in NPHET said.

I don't agree with everything NPHET advise, far from it, but it's undeniable that government are setting them up to take the fall for any unfavourable decisions.

Exactly this. Government takes ownership when it suits them. If there is good news to be had it's because of them.

If it's bad news, it's because of the public health advice and none of the ignorance they've shown to the public health advice for nearly a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No you'll carry your card/app/cert. I think it's very naive to think this stuff won't be introduced in some guise.
    It's very unrealistic to think they will.

Any shop that even tried to police this would give up pretty quickly.

"C'mon, I'm just poppin in for one thing"

"I'm getting me vaccine next week"

"I left my vaccine card in my other jacket".

Masks are dead easy because they apply to everyone. 90% of people won't have vaccination cards, which means bouncers on the doors of shops asking for vaccination cards and keeping people out.

Not a chance in hell - especially when there will be no reward for it. It would be cheaper to keep the shop closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

New CSO Data out makes for encouraging reading regarding vulnerable people!

Week ending 02/04

Total Cases 3,010

% over 65 6%

Masks are dead easy because they apply to everyone. 90% of people won't have vaccination cards, which means bouncers on the doors of shops asking for vaccination cards and keeping people out.

Not a chance in hell
    - especially when there will be no reward for it. It would be cheaper to keep the shop closed.

Let's wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Multipass wrote: »
    Wait till all the ‘vulnerable’ start jetting off on their holidays, and the rest of us are sitting home like chumps to ‘protect’ them.

Shur they’ll die off in the end so you’ll have the last laugh, ffs get a grip.

Not a chance in hell - especially when there will be no reward for it. It would be cheaper to keep the shop closed.

It wouldn't really be applied to shops though. It would be applied to indoor venues that no longer require social distancing. Pubs, restaurants, nightclubs, concert halls, arts etc. Potentially given them option of resuming service months earlier.

I find it hard to believe they wouldn't give serious consideration to this.

Does anyone know how many over-65s are remaining to be vaccinated?

It's game over as far as I'm concerned once over 65s are vaccinated. They are responsible for 92% of deaths.

Vulnerable people under 65 can continue to self-isolate, if they wish.

The rest of us can then get on with the rest of our lives.

It wouldn't really be applied to shops though. It would be applied to indoor venues that no longer require social distancing. Pubs, restaurants, nightclubs, concerts etc. Potentially given them option of resuming service months earlier.

The problem for such venues is that they might not be able to let people in who'd frequent them, the 18-40 group.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It wouldn't really be applied to shops though. It would be applied to indoor venues that no longer require social distancing. Pubs, restaurants, nightclubs, concert halls, arts etc. Potentially given them option of resuming service months earlier.

They’re doing more than considering it they’re already developing a vaccine pass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

It's game over as far as I'm concerned once over 65s are vaccinated. They are responsible for 92% of deaths.

So vulnerable people under 65 do not have jobs or family situations where they cannot self-isolate is it?

Over 65s haven't started yet but over 70s have. I've no idea on numbers but Donnelly will tweet when it happens!

If vaccinated people are vaccinated, what have they got to fear from the rest of us being in there with them too?

The problem for such venues is that they might not be able to let people in who'd frequent them, the 18-40 group.

I don't disagree. My point is though that the business will likely weigh this up very carefully. Zero customers or some amount of customers. I can't see them just dismissing it offhand. They'll consider it imo.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    So vulnerable people under 65 do not have jobs or family situations where they cannot self-isolate is it?

That's just tough luck.

We cannot close society for every single case. There will always be exceptions - and that's the same with the transmission of every virus - including viruses that pose an annual life-threatening situation to patients with HIV and other immunocompromised conditions, including cancer.

You would never argue in favour of closing society for these patients each year.

It's just bad luck that some people are in the firing line. That's a poor argument to keep a country completely closed.

We're only now further ramping up MHQ, further limiting travel abroad and talking seriously about introducing vaccine green certs to access certain parts of society. This stuff won't be going away anytime soon.

They’re doing more than considering it they’re already developing a vaccine pass
    Yeah, but its primary aim will be for travel and tourism.

alot of vegans and gym goers really care about what goes into their body plus they are the cohort who are least affected. Gyms would be cutting themselves out of business if they ask to see certs. I'd wonder how many gym goers will dive on the vaccine train also if you're not due to be vaccinated until after gyms open, how would you feel knowing your gyms open potentially months and you cannot use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I believe over 65s will be registering for vaccination online on the week of 12 April.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

That's just tough luck.

Tough luck on cancer sufferers, transplant patients, CF sufferers and other medically vulnerable teachers, cleaners etc.

I'd say make sure the vulnerable are vaccinated first, and 'tough luck' if you have to wait a little longer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement