Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I wonder what the collective name for virologists is ? An envelope of virologists maybe ?

In-keeping with Boards parlance, I think it has to be a cohort of virologists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

So, people from USA, France, Germany, Italy will now have to quarantine on arrival:

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1380549514138947584

This is mad and pointless stuff. People can travel freely between here Northern Ireland, and anywhere in the UK. Come May, the UK will allow international travel again. Will we still be doing the quarantine thing then? I think I'll book a flight from Belfast to somewhere nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So, people from USA, France, Germany, Italy will now have to quarantine on arrival:

This is mad and pointless stuff. People can travel freely between here Northern Ireland, and anywhere in the UK. Come May, the UK will allow international travel again. Will we still be doing the quarantine thing then? I think I'll book a flight from Belfast to somewhere nice.
    They might as well just upload the UN list of countries, our MoH would love to be able to show that level of strength and fortitude. The US is risible given the numbers of vaccinations they've done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Looking at the list of blocked Countries I never knew we flew to so many never saw most of them on the departures boards at Dublin Airport it's a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Messi19

JohnMcm1 wrote: »
    Hopefully we get a few months out of level 5 a anyway before a vaccine resistant strain makes its way over and we end up back at square one.

Don't take me wrong when I say this but you can go take your face for a shyte

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

Messi19 wrote: »
    Don't take me wrong when I say this but you can go take your face for a shyte

What does this mean ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Adding the US considering their vaccination rates and general decline in the prevalence of the disease is strange.....but there again we do have Israel on the list!!

Nothing logical in this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

The thing that I find mad about the whole thing is that it’s a year too late. Why didn’t we have mandatory quarantine for arrivals from the USA when it was the world’s hotspot? The USA blocked travel from Europe and then Europe did the same (we not being in Shengen still allowed it). It was the easiest time to stop travel from the US as we could’ve blamed the EU so we wouldn’t upset our dear friends, America.

The USA nearly have their whole adult population vaccinated now (of those who want it). I’m kind of over the whole thing now tbh. I get that it’s to stop new variants, but it if can be done how, why couldn’t it have been done a year ago stop the actual virus, at a time when we were all very fearful of the new virus and our world was turned upside down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

The thing that makes me and about the whole thing is that it’s a year too late. Why didn’t we quarantine for arrivals from the USA when it was the world’s hotspot? The USA blocked travel from Europe and then Europe did the same (we not being in Shengen still allowed it). It was the easiest time to stop travel from the US as we could’ve blamed the EU so we wouldn’t upset our dear friends, America.

The USA nearly have their whole adult population vaccinated now (of those who want it). I’m kind of over the whole thing now tbh. I get that it’s to stop new variants, but it if can be done how, why couldn’t it have been done a year ago stop the actual virus, at a time when we were all very fearful of the new virus and our world was turned upside down.

Exactly - this might have made sense last year. I actually think a Europe/UK wide quarantine system (i.e. anyone from outside the EU entering the EU would quarantine) would have been a great idea. It might even be a good idea now. But what we are doing is nonsense. It has been driven by a media frenzy, and is a million miles away from a well thought out policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Messi19

ek motor wrote: »
    What does this mean ?

It means that he can fcuk off with that crap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

34 additional deaths.

(3 occurred in April, 4 occurred in March, 19 occurred in February, 5 occurred in January, and 3 occurred in December)

Pathetic how they're trying to scare us

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

What exactly is going to happen in a few weeks time? How are we going to ever release restrictions on travel when we don't have actual risk criteria. 
    I despair for the country we are going to be when we start to open up but also lock up at the same time because we've turned into horrible racists and are unjustifiably afraid of what some foreigner will bring in.

Tragic and shameful what has become of us over the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

473 cases

34 Deaths over 3 months most February

• Registered Users Posts: 86,814 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Andrew00 wrote: »
    34 additional deaths.

(3 occurred in April, 4 occurred in March, 19 occurred in February, 5 occurred in January, and 3 occurred in December)

RIP how is December deaths now been included

473 cases

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

34 additional deaths.

December? I thought you had 3 months to register a death?

Also still finding 19 in February???

Exactly - this might have made sense last year. I actually think a Europe/UK wide quarantine system (i.e. anyone from outside the EU entering the EU would quarantine) would have been a great idea. It might even be a good idea now. But what we are doing is nonsense. It has been driven by a media frenzy, and is a million miles away from a well thought out policy.

Exactly. So many things we were told could not be possible, actually turned out to be possible. Things really could’ve been done so different and maybe we wouldn’t have suffered so much as a result.

I recall checking the swiss statistics a while back. Was really good, publishing a graph showing exactly when both deaths and cases occurred and which were newly reported. Made it so clear that our crowd was only interested in trying to twist facts to scare people and not actually reporting facts impartially.

Adding the US considering their vaccination rates and general decline in the prevalence of the disease is strange.....but there again we do have Israel on the list!!

Nothing logical in this
    10 COVID cases in quarantine v nearly 700 in the walk-ins.

What exactly is going to happen in a few weeks time? How are we going to ever release restrictions on travel when we don't have actual risk criteria. 
    I despair for the country we are going to be when we start to open up but also lock up at the same time because we've turned into horrible racists and are unjustifiably afraid of what some foreigner will bring in.

Tragic and shameful what has become of us over the last year.

Cop on. This is nothing about race. We’re absolute sycophants to the US. It’s because of that it wasn’t brought in in the first place when there was an actual need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

cjyid wrote: »
    They should only be announcing deaths for the actual month we're in.

Mental.

So you want an imbalance in the amounts of deaths announced and deaths listed

That's even more mental

• Advertisement

I recall checking the swiss statistics a while back. Was really good, publishing a graph showing exactly when both deaths and cases occurred and which were newly reported. Made it so clear that our crowd was only interested in trying to twist facts to scare people and not actually reporting facts impartially.
    The law allows people up to 3 months to report deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

34 additional deaths.

Eh no.......they don't get to choose when a family register a death.

Cop on. This is nothing about race.

Really? you are only fooling yourself - this has everything to do with racism. Daft logic that foreigners will bring in the virus and make it worse for us that's completely unsubstantiated. That's racist. It's unacceptable. 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

^What!!???^

Really? you are only fooling yourself - this has everything to do with racism. Daft logic that foreigners will bring in the virus and make it worse for us that's completely unsubstantiated. That's racist. It's unacceptable. 

What race are we talking about coming from the USA, France, Germany, Italy?

I would imagine most travellers from these countries are Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Nothing logical in this

It all depends on what part of the US. Rates of new cases are still high in many.

S.Carolina, for example, with a population close to ours still has 1100 new cases per day and a death rate higher than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Cases last 7 days 3027 (432 per day average)

Positive swabs last 7 days 2977 (425 per day average)

What race are we talking about coming from the USA, France, Germany, Italy?

I would imagine most travellers from these countries are Irish.

You are of course right, but you are also allowing facts to blind you to the racist logic here! Most people calling for this don't see Irish people returning home - they see foreigners coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭blade1

34 additional deaths.

Trying to scare us?
    They only freak out people that come on here going on about scaring people.
    Relax, there'll be some that died that haven't been included yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

34 additional deaths.

On a slightly good note, while all the major newspapers only have "34 more deaths announced" in their headlines, RTE/Indo/Examiner all have the breakdown in the first two lines. IrishTimes is the only one that doesn't have it anywhere at all, which I do think it's pathetic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement