Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

They are taking the piss now, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭Polar101

wadacrack wrote: »
    "New Covid data shows worrying trend in Ireland's supermarkets and shops"

Pubs are 0% of infections, so I'm waiting for some people to use that as proof that pubs are 100% safe and should be opened ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Benimar

Really? you are only fooling yourself - this has everything to do with racism. Daft logic that foreigners will bring in the virus and make it worse for us that's completely unsubstantiated. That's racist. It's unacceptable. 

I've seen some unbelievable sh1te posted on these threads since last March but this is right up there!

You do know that this applies to people travelling from these countries who, in large part, will in fact be Irish.

George Lee needs to be put out of his misery, never witnessed one so resolutely negative. A harassed and fed-up Irish public deserve better.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

Benimar wrote: »
    I've seen some unbelievable sh1te posted on these threads since last March but this is right up there!

You do know that this applies to people travelling from these countries who, in large part, will in fact be Irish.

I've answered that - the people calling for it don't see Irish people returning, they see foreigners bringing in the virus or at very best Irish people who got the virus of foreigners. The logic that people who are exposed to the virus out foreign are somehow more of a threat is undeniably racist. 

Unfortunately I know a few of these people and can hear the arguments they make. It's sad but it's true. The media frenzy against travel has generated racist and xenophobic tendencies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

seamus wrote: »
    You can always spot a WUM when they claim to not only have contacts who are virologists, but they have enough of them to form a confident opinion poll on what's going to happen next :D

I have a number of contacts with a medical background. I don't know a single virologist. I expect the only people who know a lot of virologists, are virologists.

Gotta love these so called newbie posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

seamus wrote: »
    No, NPHET won't be relying on this. Even the contact tracing team are being careful to point out that people didn't blame the shops, just that when asked to list where they'd been, 55% of people said they'd been to the shops.

I imagine if you took any random sample of people and asked them where they'd been in the last week, at least half would say "the shops".

As noted above, most people will have a good inkling of where and when they caught it, but they don't want to admit they spent two hours chatting and drinking tea in the neighbours, so they blame the supermarket or the postman instead.

Given the volume of traffic in and out of supermarkets, we'd still be seeing thousands of daily cases if half of all infections were picked up there.

NPHET know this.

DublinLive is considered a rag even by Daily Mail readers. Anyone even reading their stuff needs their head examined.

Irish Times are not innocent here either!

Headline: Covid-19: Shops most commonly visited places listed by people later infected

First Line of article: The first comprehensive study of community transmission of Covid-19 in the State has identified shops as the most likely source of infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I am more surprised that the other 50% didn’t say they were at the shops .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Ended up in CUH after a work accident today.
    Was expecting a covid test as a precaution but no.
    Besides the masks and screens in waiting room the feeling I got from everyone was like covid wasn't a concern.
    Great to see and hope for normality creeping back to live after a fairly ****e 12 months.
    We're not there yet but the signs are looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,404 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

So, people from USA, France, Germany, Italy will now have to quarantine on arrival:

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1380549514138947584

This is mad and pointless stuff. People can travel freely between here Northern Ireland, and anywhere in the UK. Come May, the UK will allow international travel again. Will we still be doing the quarantine thing then? I think I'll book a flight from Belfast to somewhere nice.

have they completely lost their minds?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Andrew00 wrote: »
    34 additional deaths.

(3 occurred in April, 4 occurred in March, 19 occurred in February, 5 occurred in January, and 3 occurred in December)

Pathetic how they're trying to scare us

I find the conspiracy theorists worse.

If they were trying to scare us, why did they say only 7 deaths between this month and last and not at least half?

They don't get to decide when families register a death. Have some respect instead of using the pain and suffering of 34 families for your own warped agenda.

The only scaremongers are the ones who want to paint NPHET as these evil doom and gloom overlords with too much power. Trying to whip people into a frenzy.

Shame on you.

lawred2 wrote: »
    have they completely lost their minds?

it seems so. Not that they will care, but FF have lost my lifetime vote after this debacle

Faugheen wrote: »

If they were trying to scare us, why did they say only 7 deaths between this month and last and not at least half?

They don't get to decide when families register a death. Have some respect instead of using the pain and suffering of 34 families for your own warped agenda.

The only scaremongers are the ones who want to paint NPHET as these evil doom and gloom overlords with too much power. Trying to whip people into a frenzy.

Shame on you.

It's unreal, you're better off just laughing at these kind of posts.

On about scaring people and doom and gloom when that's exactly what their posts contain.
    Pure silliness and not to mention hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

blade1 wrote: »
    Ended up in CUH after a work accident today.
    Was expecting a covid test as a precaution but no.
    Besides the masks and screens in waiting room the feeling I got from everyone was like covid wasn't a concern.
    Great to see and hope for normality creeping back to live after a fairly ****e 12 months.
    We're not there yet but the signs are looking good.

I was in A&E in Dublin during much higher case levels - they weren't covid testing then either. I don't think they ever did as standard practice - just the usual questions asked and a temp taken.

Ger Roe wrote: »
    I was in A&E in Dublin during much higher case levels - they weren't covid testing then either. I don't think they ever did as standard practice - just the usual questions asked and a temp taken.

They did alright, I got tested last year in the Mater in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Another HC challenge it seems, this time by a woman who was vaccinated in Israel.
    A woman who is currently quarantining in a Dublin Hotel after her arrival into the state has asked the High Court for an inquiry into what she claims amounts to unlawful detention.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2021/0409/1208904-quarantine-detention-inquiry/

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Messi19

Why are people here so against the additions to the list for mhq or just mhq altogether? It's only set to be a short term solution to possibly a serious problem.

We're still in level 5, under 5k, no non essential travel so why should people just be able to swan into the country and do as they like?

Can you enter the US if you like?
    Where did the variants that caused the 1st, 2nd and 3rd waves come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

I'm actually now wondering if the government are pretty sure they'll lose these high court challenges.

So, they're trying to show they are being tough on quarantine but the high court will say they are unconstitutional. The government will then say, well we tried to bring it in but it's impossible, there is nothing we can do.

That's the only way I can make any political sense of the mad stuff they are up to on quarantine

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

Messi19 wrote: »
    Why are people here so against the additions to the list for mhq or just mhq altogether? It's only set to be a short term solution to possibly a serious problem.

We're still in level 5, under 5k, no non essential travel so why should people just be able to swan into the country and do as they like?

Because the "us being in lockdown" and "them enjoying life visiting Ireland" idea has several flaws:

1) the "us" and "them" are the same people. Take a flight to France and back and you will only see irish residents. I am French and meant to travel in France for essential reason in 10days, I am the same person that has suffered the 5k lockdown in the last 6+ months, stuck in my apartment in Dublin far from any family.

2) if you enter in Ireland you have the same rules as anybody else, so if they are allowed to Swan you are allowed to Swan. If there is a lockdown they respect it as well when they enter the country

3) that just shows that people just want to see other people suffer more than them to be happy. It has nothing to do with risk or anything objective. Let's punish people because if they travel it means that they are enjoying too much life. Let's punish people coming back from funerals, let's them pay 2 grands, that will distract me from my misery

People are against the hotel quarantine because there is no reason for it if people can quarantine somewhere else. When people are against the MHQ they are against the H not against the MQ

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

Because it's completely useless. And they're already moving the goalpost, from places that have an high incidence of some strange variants to places that have a higher incidence of the variants we have (which cover pretty much the whole world).
    The point is, unless you're advocating for zero covid (and if this was actually the strategy I would welcome mandatory hotel quarantine) variants will always find a way into the country. We are an interconnected economy.

All it does it make it a lot harder for people (especially poor people) that HAVE to travel.
    And I'm pretty sure it's completely against my rights as a European citizen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,404 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

There are still valid reasons for travel. Very few of those putting themselves through the hassle that is international travel right now are doing it for the craic..

What gives you the idea that people are coming here to swan about doing what they like?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brookers

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    lol I'd imagine a lot of people say that. Sure I went nowhere...

Mairead Ronan said on two separate occasions Covid came into their house and she said the same, they had been nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Faugheen wrote: »

Shame on you.

I have to say you really have some hard on for defending NPHET every opportunity you get.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

For me its because we are alienating our most important trading partners. When all this is over the economy will be looking to recover and ****ting all over these trading countries by adding them to a quarantine list wont be seen favourably by THEIR commerce ministers in the future.

Its like the government want us back in the 1980s with massive unemployment etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

You know things have gone way too far when George Lee is on the Six One talking about ‘Government studies re our behaviour’ - trying to point fingers at people for living their lives. Get stuffed George and Government pointing fingers at people meeting and ‘going into work’.
    When on earth are people going to say enough of this?!
    People have lost a year of their lives, hospitalisations and deaths are on a big decline. What should be on the news are strategies on what the reopening will look like, how rapid tests & vaccinations will work & what needs to be set up in the next few weeks.

Just stop watching RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,309 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

There are still valid reasons for travel. Very few of those putting themselves through the hassle that is international travel right now are doing it for the craic..

What gives you the idea that people are coming here to swan about doing what they like?

I want to see my family who I haven't been able to see for over a year now. Im sure most people who want to travel from the US right now are in the same position and not just taking a vacation. Why is this not considered essential or a valid reason to many? This news is so disheartening. I will also have an actual essential reason to come over soon but thoughts of 3 of us being locked in a hotel room for 2 weeks is seriously depressing. I won't do it. **** ireland, they've shown that they do not care about their citizens abroad, first with the passport fiasco and now this. I'll be applying for permanent residency here after this tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Messi19

Really? Figures from earlier today 8560 non residents entered, an increase of 66%, with 70% entering for non essential reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I want to see my family who I haven't been able to see for over a year now. Im sure most people who want to travel from the US right now are in the same position and not just taking a vacation. Why is this not considered essential or a valid reason to many? This news is so disheartening. I will also have an actual essential reason to come over soon but thoughts of 3 of us being locked in a hotel room for 2 weeks is seriously depressing. I won't do it. **** ireland, they've shown that they do not care about their citizens abroad, first with the passport fiasco and now this. I'll be applying for permanent residency here after this tbh.

It is essential and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

Really? Figures from earlier today 8560 non residents entered, an increase of 66%, with 70% entering for non essential reasons

Then why not doing an hotel quarantine only for non residents / non essential reasons?

That is what people are complaining about. Making people pay 2grands because they had a funeral. While they could quarantine at home

I am still doubting the interpretation of raw numbers. What is a "non resident"? Erasmus students are not resident for example, they still need to travel. People that are relocating as the Israeli nurse, or the Irish family that was living in Australia are non residents when they travel. You need to be 183days in Ireland in the previous year to be a resident.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement