Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

zebastein wrote: »
    Because the "us being in lockdown" and "them enjoying life visiting Ireland" idea has several flaws:

1) the "us" and "them" are the same people. Take a flight to France and back and you will only see irish residents. I am French and meant to travel in France for essential reason in 10days, I am the same person that has suffered the 5k lockdown in the last 6+ months, stuck in my apartment in Dublin far from any family.

2) if you enter in Ireland you have the same rules as anybody else, so if they are allowed to Swan you are allowed to Swan. If there is a lockdown they respect it as well when they enter the country

3) that just shows that people just want to see other people suffer more than them to be happy. It has nothing to do with risk or anything objective. Let's punish people because if they travel it means that they are enjoying too much life. Let's punish people coming back from funerals, let's them pay 2 grands, that will distract me from my misery

People are against the hotel quarantine because there is no reason for it if people can quarantine somewhere else. When people are against the MHQ they are against the H not against the MQ

Good post .
    Only problem is you take the H out of MHQ and you may as well dispense with the M as well .

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I want to see my family who I haven't been able to see for over a year now. Im sure most people who want to travel from the US right now are in the same position and not just taking a vacation. Why is this not considered essential or a valid reason to many? This news is so disheartening. I will also have an actual essential reason to come over soon but thoughts of 3 of us being locked in a hotel room for 2 weeks is seriously depressing. I won't do it. **** ireland, they've shown that they do not care about their citizens abroad, first with the passport fiasco and now this. I'll be applying for permanent residency here after this tbh.

Sure most of us haven't seen our families for the last year , citizens here .
    Why should citizens abroad be given any different treatment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Messi19

Because the "us being in lockdown" and "them enjoying life visiting Ireland" idea has several flaws:

1) the "us" and "them" are the same people. Take a flight to France and back and you will only see irish residents. I am French and meant to travel in France for essential reason in 10days, I am the same person that has suffered the 5k lockdown in the last 6+ months, stuck in my apartment in Dublin far from any family.

2) if you enter in Ireland you have the same rules as anybody else, so if they are allowed to Swan you are allowed to Swan. If there is a lockdown they respect it as well when they enter the country

3) that just shows that people just want to see other people suffer more than them to be happy. It has nothing to do with risk or anything objective. Let's punish people because if they travel it means that they are enjoying too much life. Let's punish people coming back from funerals, let's them pay 2 grands, that will distract me from my misery

People are against the hotel quarantine because there is no reason for it if people can quarantine somewhere else. When people are against the MHQ they are against the H not against the MQ

1. No issue with an Irish resident travelling as long as it's essential. This booking dental appointments and tit jobs in Dubai is laughable

2. Nobody should be swanning but alas it's happening

3. This is everything to do with risk. It's not for some kinda laugh and we'll hit a few suckers for 2k each

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Advertisement

Hellrazer wrote: »
    For me its because we are alienating our most important trading partners. When all this is over the economy will be looking to recover and ****ting all over these trading countries by adding them to a quarantine list wont be seen favourably by THEIR commerce ministers in the future.

Its like the government want us back in the 1980s with massive unemployment etc.

Trade will still happen regardless. That's essential. Goods will still leave and arrive. The lorries will keep rolling

Can we ever be told anything directly in this country instead of through journalists’ Twitter accounts?

I want to see my family who I haven't been able to see for over a year now. Im sure most people who want to travel from the US right now are in the same position and not just taking a vacation. Why is this not considered essential or a valid reason to many? This news is so disheartening. I will also have an actual essential reason to come over soon but thoughts of 3 of us being locked in a hotel room for 2 weeks is seriously depressing. I won't do it. **** ireland, they've shown that they do not care about their citizens abroad, first with the passport fiasco and now this. I'll be applying for permanent residency here after this tbh.

I have friends and family in the States that I'd love to see too. Can I just book a flight tomorrow and waltz through pre clearance or passport control stateside or is it still for US citizens only?

High court challenge averted .
    Why Albania and St Lucia ?
    Are they fully vaccinated or very low risk ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,309 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Goldengirl wrote: »

They shouldn't. People in ireland should be allowed to see their families too. Its ridiculous. The right to a family life is a fundamental human right.

Wonder are the people already in it who traveled from there allowed leave so? The government must have been listening to Liveline :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

High court challenge averted .
    Why Albania and St Lucia ?
    Are they fully vaccinated or very low risk ?

Albania on a downward trend, below our average cases now. St Lucia no idea what their testing regime is like but the 7 day average there is 10 cases a day

Wouldn't be surprised to still see the challenge go ahead based on the fact that those who are fully vaccinated really shouldn't have to quarantine, especially when now it looks like here those who are fully vaccinated aren't going to be considered close contacts anymore and don't have to isolate, all due soon appearently

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

Can we ever be told anything directly in this country instead of through journalists’ Twitter accounts?

How would you like to be informed?

Newspaper? https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/us-canada-france-italy-and-belgium-to-be-added-to-irelands-covid-hotel-quarantine-list-40295495.html

Eod100 wrote: »

The meeting hasnt even happened yet, Canada and the USA are not included, and yet that journo tweets it as fact. Its nothing more than twitter clickbait - the lowest form of journalism

Then why not doing an hotel quarantine only for non residents / non essential reasons?

That is what people are complaining about. Making people pay 2grands because they had a funeral. While they could quarantine at home

I am still doubting the interpretation of raw numbers. What is a "non resident"? Erasmus students are not resident for example, they still need to travel. People that are relocating as the Israeli nurse, or the Irish family that was living in Australia are non residents when they travel. You need to be 183days in Ireland in the previous year to be a resident.

No no that's tax resident. An actual resident, as in lives here legally is what a resident is. Erasmus students shouldn't be here in the first place. 3rd level is pretty much shut down and has been for the last year. The family coming from Australia only got nabbed cos they flew through Dubai. People aren't quarantining at home, it's a joke and it can't be monitored

Albania on a downward trend, below our average cases now. St Lucia no idea what their testing regime is like but the 7 day average there is 10 cases a day

Wouldn't be surprised to still see the challenge go ahead based on the fact that those who are fully vaccinated really shouldn't have to quarantine, especially when now it looks like here those who are fully vaccinated aren't going to be considered close contacts anymore and don't have to isolate, all due soon appearently

Yes , it's senseless.
    I could understand if they were concerned about transmission but a negative pcr on arrival should be all that is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

Really? you are only fooling yourself - this has everything to do with racism. Daft logic that foreigners will bring in the virus and make it worse for us that's completely unsubstantiated. That's racist. It's unacceptable. 

Racist -you must be joking. That's a total misuse of the term.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

So if you test positive for Covid you get to go home and spread it to your family, and you can go visit your nearest supermarket to spread it there too.

If you arrive in on a plane, after producing a negative Covid test and possibly even being vaccinated, you have to spend two weeks locked up in a hotel with hundreds of other people.

I presume whichever political advisor decided this was a good use of resources was previously responsible for towing away the cars of hikers in mountains and clearing families off of beaches, because there seems to be a pattern of "seen to be doing something" stupidity here.

The meeting hasnt even happened yet, Canada and the USA are not included, and yet that journo tweets it as fact. Its nothing more than twitter clickbait - the lowest form of journalism

He hasnt included either in that list though. Guess they are the countries being proposed at least but yeah nothing officially confirmed until it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Ah balls..was starting to organize coming home from canada and I hear this

They shouldn't. People in ireland should be allowed to see their families too. Its ridiculous. The right to a family life is a fundamental human right.

Ahhhh ...right ..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The difference IMO is it looks like the end is in sight for those living here with family here. For those living or who have family in a MHQ country, it feels like the end is getting further away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

This last year, everything seems to be through twitter. Love to see the platform evaporate, so much bull**** arises out of it. It shouldn't be used as a news platform for public comms by Govt. unless they also issue those comms through other media too.

Eod100 wrote: »
    He hasnt included either in that list though. Guess they are the countries being proposed at least but yeah nothing officially confirmed until it is.

so he should say that. the quality of journalism during this whole thing has been appalling, as journos try to be first to the punch

hmmm wrote: »
    So if you test positive for Covid you get to go home and spread it to your family, and you can go visit your nearest supermarket to spread it there too.

If you arrive in on a plane, after producing a negative Covid test and possibly even being vaccinated, you have to spend two weeks locked up in a hotel with hundreds of other people.

I presume whichever political advisor decided this was a good use of resources was previously responsible for towing away the cars of hikers in mountains and clearing families off of beaches, because there seems to be a pattern of "seen to be doing something" stupidity here.

Fully vaccinated people should be able to travel without quarantine, that's just the sensible move. Negative pcr test is a load of bull. It doesn't stand for sh1t. You can still pick up the virus between taking the pcr and landing here. That's why we've seen cases I'm mhq and why mhq is a valuable tool

Shane St. wrote: »
    Ah balls..was starting to organize coming home from canada and I hear this

Can't see this going beyond the summer, if that long tbh.
    Donnelly said as much earlier in the week on PrimeTime .. " 2 or 3 months " .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I was watching a program on TV there

There is a new and horrible ad I assume designed to influence behaviour showing people meeting in a garden/ getting a lift and something work related and then ending up sick or in ICU

Then there was a message to stick with the restrictions while vaccinations are ongoing

It felt wrong tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Good to see Israel off the list, no idea why it was on it in the first place.

Let's see when they spin the wheel this evening what other countries go on it. It'll be like Winning Streak, but you win a hotel stay.

I'm waiting for someone who returns to Ireland because of a dying relative and they can't see them to ring Joe Duffy. It's a political nightmare, you'd think at least someone in Government would see the hole they are digging.

• Advertisement

The difference IMO is it looks like the end is in sight for those living here with family here. For those living or who have family in a MHQ country, it feels like the end is getting further away.

It's a short term solution to hopefully a short term problem. Once we get enough vaccinations done and the country opened back up then travel will resume freely. It has to with us being an island and all

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement