Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

so he should say that. the quality of journalism during this whole thing has been appalling, as journos try to be first to the punch

I think that would go without saying though tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

Messi19 wrote: »
    No no that's tax resident. An actual resident, as in lives here legally is what a resident is. Erasmus students shouldn't be here in the first place. 3rd level is pretty much shut down and has been for the last year. The family coming from Australia only got nabbed cos they flew through Dubai. People aren't quarantining at home, it's a joke and it can't be monitored

Alright, so every single person who is covid positive in this country should be quarantined in an hotel. As you said, it can't be monitored at home, so why are they allowed to do it and spread the virus? Or is it only a joke when people are foreigners but it is fair enough when it is not travel related?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

The difference IMO is it looks like the end is in sight for those living here with family here. For those living or who have family in a MHQ country, it feels like the end is getting further away.

Ahh it's not.
    We'll all be travelling with vaccines and neg pcrs later , I reckon August September?
    Or am I being too optimistic?
    Makes a change :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Can't see this going beyond the summer, if that long tbh.
    Donnelly said as much earlier in the week on PrimeTime .. " 2 or 3 months " .

Sure even Thomas Byrne on drive time today eluded to the fact that in a few weeks time they'll be under pressure to remove countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

You can still pick up the virus between taking the pcr and landing here. That's why we've seen cases I'm mhq and why mhq is a valuable tool
    Sure, but you're imposing a huge cost on the country by doing this for the small chance that someone gets infected between the test and arriving into the country.

Meanwhile we have 400/500 people a day testing positive, and they all get to go home afterwards. But not a word about them or the risk they pose.

It's very easy for people to say "oh yes block travellers" because they aren't travelling themselves and it doesn't affect them. I have friends who travel abroad for work (e.g. 3 weeks on 3 weeks off), and I know people who have come back to Ireland for sick relatives - all of them are potentially affected, and none of that travel is to get boob jobs in dubai.

If I said we should quarantine everyone who tests positive there would be outrage. Because people know it could be them one day. Easy targets in the airports (btw I presume ports are included in this, particularly if we add France to the list?).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

hmmm wrote: »
    Good to see Israel off the list, no idea why it was on it in the first place.

Let's see when they spin the wheel this evening what other countries go on it. It'll be like Winning Streak, but you win a hotel stay.

I'm waiting for someone who returns to Ireland because of a dying relative and they can't see them to ring Joe Duffy. It's a political nightmare, you'd think at least someone in Government would see the hole they are digging.

Theres a challenge being taken against MHQ by an Israeli who is fully vaxed and had two negative tests before travelling

She is still being made do the MHQ

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Good to see Israel off the list, no idea why it was on it in the first place.

Let's see when they spin the wheel this evening what other countries go on it. It'll be like Winning Streak, but you win a hotel stay.

I'm waiting for someone who returns to Ireland because of a dying relative and they can't see them to ring Joe Duffy. It's a political nightmare, you'd think at least someone in Government would see the hole they are digging.

Think can appeal for exemption on humanitarian reasons but seems fairly vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

I heard an ad on the radio saying please be patient while we wrap up the vaccine program. Wrap up? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Messi19

zebastein wrote: »
    Alright, so every single person who is covid positive in this country should be quarantined in an hotel. As you said, it can't be monitored at home, so why are they allowed to do it and spread the virus? Or is it only a joke when people are foreigners but it is fair enough when it is not travel related?

What are you on about? Home quarantine cannot be monitored, it's just not possible. As someone else pointed out if you take the h out of mhq you might as well take out the m too.
    Mhq is not about keeping covid itself out cos it's already here and has been for the past year. It's about keeping out the variants of concern. This is not an argument about foreigners or residents. It's purely where you've been and travelled from

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    I heard an ad on the radio saying please be patient while we wrap up the vaccine program. Wrap up? lol

Probably “ramp up”.

• Advertisement

zebastein wrote: »

They know already what variant is dominant in Ireland and while transmissible , it is not one of the " voc" anymore .
    Somebody tests positive, for example, for the Brazilian variant , then the full weight of Public Health is upon them .
    May as well be MHQ and insome cases ARE moved to a hotel if living in crowded circumstances .
    It's not an anti foreigner thing at all .
    Its anti variant of concern.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Ramp up I think?

Mhq is not about keeping covid itself out cos it's already here and has been for the past year. It's about keeping out the variants of concern. This is not an argument about foreigners or residents. It's purely where you've been and travelled from
    Israel never had a problem with VoC's and was added to the list.

Other countries appear to be being considered because they have a higher rate of Covid than we have (e.g. most of the EU countries). Why that is relevant is beyond me, people are required to get a test beforehand so the risk is low.

No-one seems to have a clue what the criteria is, yet someone is producing lists of countries.

When did a stealth zero Covid become government policy, and why now?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Fully vaccinated people should be able to travel without quarantine, that's just the sensible move. Negative pcr test is a load of bull. It doesn't stand for sh1t. You can still pick up the virus between taking the pcr and landing here. That's why we've seen cases I'm mhq and why mhq is a valuable tool

Of course a test stands for something, that is ridiculous to say. It's a much, much less chance of having Covid than not. This 'they could pick it up between taking the test and landing here' stuff could be applied to anything. The thousands tested negative at test centers could pick it up on the way home or heading off down the supermarket. It's this 'chances' thing that isn't applied fairly. If the aim is to 'keep out variants' then why is someone who lands here, and who tests negative here have to quarantine? If there's still a 'chance' they could pick up a variant here, then everyone here testing positive should be quarantined too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Just a reminder if you want to complain about Mandatory Hotel Quarantine in Ireland to the EU Commission you can with the link below, it takes just 3 to 5 minutes and will put a voice across.

https://ec.europa.eu/assets/sg/report-a-breach/complaints_en/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The Israel case has rightly so opened up a can of worms here.

Only makes sense if your fully vaccinated that you can travel as you please. The whole point of the proposed vaccine passport

https://twitter.com/MaryERegan/status/1380603813149741060?s=19

Sure even Thomas Byrne on drive time today eluded to the fact that in a few weeks time they'll be under pressure to remove countries.

Didn't hear Mr Byrne but would imagine it will be only there until we are getting ahead with vaccinations , as that is the main aim.
    Sure it took them this long to set it up despite NPHET looking for restrictions on those travelling into the country since last year !
    They really didn't want to do it at all .

Sure, but you're imposing a huge cost on the country by doing this for the small chance that someone gets infected between the test and arriving into the country.

Meanwhile we have 400/500 people a day testing positive, and they all get to go home afterwards. But not a word about them or the risk they pose.

It's very easy for people to say "oh yes block travellers" because they aren't travelling themselves and it doesn't affect them. I have friends who travel abroad for work (e.g. 3 weeks on 3 weeks off), and I know people who have come back to Ireland for sick relatives - all of them are potentially affected, and none of that travel is to get boob jobs in dubai.

If I said we should quarantine everyone who tests positive there would be outrage. Because people know it could be them one day. Easy targets in the airports (btw I presume ports are included in this, particularly if we add France to the list?).

Yes ports are included. What's the huge cost on the country? If they're travelling for work then that's essential travel. Where I work we've had engineers and technicians over from Italy and Germany....No problem....Essential travel. I don't think anyone has any issues with genuine essential travel

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

They probably meant "f--k up"

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭JPCN1

So if you test positive for Covid you get to go home and spread it to your family, and you can go visit your nearest supermarket to spread it there too.

If you arrive in on a plane, after producing a negative Covid test and possibly even being vaccinated, you have to spend two weeks locked up in a hotel with hundreds of other people.

I presume whichever political advisor decided this was a good use of resources was previously responsible for towing away the cars of hikers in mountains and clearing families off of beaches, because there seems to be a pattern of "seen to be doing something" stupidity here.

Smacks of Stephen (did I mention I worked for McKinsey) Donnelly to me...

• Advertisement

Yes ports are included. What's the huge cost on the country? If they're travelling for work then that's essential travel. Where I work we've had engineers and technicians over from Italy and Germany....No problem....Essential travel. I don't think anyone has any issues with genuine essential travel
    There is no exception for essential travel, these engineers won't travel to Ireland. Note that Irish engineers would also be affected, because they have to quarantine on return if they visit a customer in those countries. Do you see the damage now?

Politicians have given themselves an exception by the way, because they are super-important people:
    "having been outside of the state to provide services to or perform the functions of an office holder (under any enactment or the Constitution) or a member of either house of the Oireachtas or the European Parliament"

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

If there is no problem with genuine essential travel, then why are people not exempted from hotel quarantine? Nobody has a problem with that, but they still have to pay 2k.
    Ah yes variants of under the bed, even if there is no proof of what variants is circulating in which country. Countries like Germany are France should stop sequencing genom of their test, they would not find any variant and everybody would be happy

Israel never had a problem with VoC's and was added to the list.

Other countries appear to be being considered because they have a higher rate of Covid than we have (e.g. most of the EU countries). Why that is relevant is beyond me, people are required to get a test beforehand so the risk is low.

No-one seems to have a clue what the criteria is, yet someone is producing lists of countries.

When did a stealth zero Covid become government policy, and why now?

Israel was a baffling call alright. Had no place being on the list. It's not stealth zero covid, it's in plain sight and it's not even zero covid. Things will begin to open back up in the next few weeks. This is the attempt to keep out anything that may mess up our return to normality before we get enough of the vaccine rolled out

Israel was a baffling call alright. Had no place being on the list.
    How do we know that? We haven't been told what the criteria is other than something vague about "variants". They could be spinning a wheel for all we know.
    This is the attempt to keep out anything that may mess up our return to normality before we get enough of the vaccine rolled out
    We know that the vaccines can cope with all known current variants, and travellers who have already been tested represent a low risk. Meanwhile 400 people a day test positive in this country and then disappear off the radar after their test.

This is being done because Ministers reacted to mobs on social media. If they were serious about reducing risk, they'd be also quarantining the people who we know have Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,090 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Why are people here so against the additions to the list for mhq or just mhq altogether? It's only set to be a short term solution to possibly a serious problem.

Do you remember when they told us the lockdown was only a short term solution?

If Vaccine evading variants are the issue, what will change after everyone has been vaccinated later in the summer?

Faugheen wrote: »
    I find the conspiracy theorists worse.

If they were trying to scare us, why did they say only 7 deaths between this month and last and not at least half?

They don't get to decide when families register a death. Have some respect instead of using the pain and suffering of 34 families for your own warped agenda.

The only scaremongers are the ones who want to paint NPHET as these evil doom and gloom overlords with too much power. Trying to whip people into a frenzy.

Shame on you.

It's strange that all those families chose the last 24 hours to all register the deaths at once, maybe the date has significance?
    Or maybe the data gathering is haphazard and sloppy and not suited to daily updates.

Corholio wrote: »
    Of course a test stands for something, that is ridiculous to say. It's a much, much less chance of having Covid than not. This 'they could pick it up between taking the test and landing here' stuff could be applied to anything. The thousands tested negative at test centers could pick it up on the way home or heading off down the supermarket. It's this 'chances' thing that isn't applied fairly. If the aim is to 'keep out variants' then why is someone who lands here, and who tests negative here have to quarantine? If there's still a 'chance' they could pick up a variant here, then everyone here testing positive should be quarantined too.

This is nothing to do with the chance of picking up a variant here, it's bringing another variant in that's the problem. Once again people in mhq with negative tests on landing have tested positive. We already have cases of the Brazilian and South African variants. We don't need any more

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Pity MHQ didn't come in here last March.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Do you remember when they told us the lockdown was only a short term solution?

If Vaccine evading variants are the issue, what will change after everyone has been vaccinated later in the summer?

By that time vaccines will be widespread across the world or traveling world at any rate, making the development of new variants less likely/easier to trace. The vaccine may also provide some protection to these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

This is nothing to do with the chance of picking up a variant here, it's bringing another variant in that's the problem. Once again people in mhq with negative tests oon landing have tested positive. We already have cases of the Brazilian and South African variants. We don't need any more

But like my post said, what about people who have tested negative here on arrival? You can prove way before 14 days whether you have a 'variant' or not. It takes a magic whole 10 days to see if you have covid, but if it's not a variant it's the same thing. The same variant that hundreds are walking around here with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement