Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Public health visit them yes and ensure they are .

No they don't. There is no extra measures for these people. I know someone who had and there is no extra besides the phone call. Why aren't you calling for them to be quarantined, they could be next to you in the dreaded supermarket!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Stheno wrote: »
    Really? One poster on here and four of their family/bubble had the Sa variant and were informed by phone

No mention of visits

I think that might be me, We had a phone call & no visits.

My support Bubble is now in hospital on oxygen. A fit health chap with no underlying health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

And that is why I think we now have MHQ for the foreseeable future. Well into next year, if not longer. And the variants will still get in, of course, as this limited MHQ is not zero Covid (what with truckers, essential travel, land border, UK travel). We are doing something that has a substantial cost that will not achieve what people think it will achieve (except that it will appease the Twitter mob). And I think it is naive to think it will be done away with this year

Belfast Airport is going to get awfully busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

And yet the usual sycophants on here are falling over themselves to defend the latest nonsense from our incompetent government.

My wife is beside me in tears because she doesn't know when she'll get to see her family. Despite the fact she'll soon be fully vaccinated. Anyone defending this can go fúck themselves.

Just because I don't agree with you or whomever here does not make me a sycophant.
    Far from it, I have never had my opinions influenced by anyone else except my own knowledge and experience, and will not be intimidated by your rudeness.
    How dare you!
    The " incompetent" government and I am in no way responsible for your wife's upset ,and maybe take that anger of yours somewhere else .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

as this limited MHQ is not zero Covid (what with truckers, essential travel, land border, UK travel)
    Where are people getting this idea that "essential travel" is allowed? There is a small list of exceptions, e.g. super-important people like TDs, but other than that everyone will be locked up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

The decision to put Israel on the mandatory quarantine list is one of the most moronic decisions the government have made during this entire ****show, and that's saying something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Jake1 wrote: »
    Im really angry myself today. My partner was told they had a low grade cancer just before christmas. Blood tests in last few weeks show things have progressed. Waiting on MRI and further biopsies. Rang hospital regarding appointment when we didnt hear anything after Doctors call last week. Appointments office said it would be months getting an appointment, due to poxy Covid.
    Now what makes me so damn angry is, my Father in law, got his first vaccine recently and is due second one shortly, and Im wondering, will I be left with out my partner, due to cancer getting worse over next few months, and will I be instead left with a healthy 80 year old vaccinated FIIL????

I feel like my partner is being scarificed so the elderly parent can live . I know we cant have the elderly dying, but by jaysus we do need the HSE to get their **** together and remember all the other major health issues

:mad:

I'm really sorry to hear that. People will probably telling you you're not looking at things objectively. Pay them no heed. We're sacrificing far to much to the idea that covid is the only thing that matters.

You're right to be stressed and you're right to lash out. There's a huge middle ground between letting covid run rampant and the mess we're in now. We need to find it quickly.

hmmm wrote: »
    Where are people getting this idea that "essential travel" is allowed? There is a small list of exceptions, e.g. super-important people like TDs, but other than that everyone will be locked up.

Okay, check off that one and just do the other three. ZC this is not (unless you want MHQ from the UK of course, which would be truly nuts) and given that it’s all about the variants, and that there will be variants of concerns for many months if not years, I don’t believe that this populist measure will be removed for some considerable time

Corholio wrote: »
    No they don't. There is no extra measures for these people.
    Not what I heard but maybe you know everybody who has been tested positive with the variant ? ..I don't.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Knine wrote: »
    I think that might be me, We had a phone call & no visits.

My support Bubble is now in hospital on oxygen. A fit health chap with no underlying health issues.

It was. Sorry if I made you feel you had to post this and the very best wishes for your bubble

It seems to me there is one narrative from the HSE/ public health but on the ground its different

Its concerning tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Not what I heard but maybe you know everybody who has been tested positive with the variant ? ..I don't.

Damage control stuff.

Maybe you know everyone coming in are all carrying the variants?

Just because I don't agree with you or whomever here does not make me a sycophant.
    Far from it, I have never had my opinions influenced by anyone else except my own knowledge and experience, and will not be intimidated by your rudeness.
    How dare you!
    The " incompetent" government and I am in no way responsible for your wife's upset ,and maybe take that anger of yours somewhere else .

To be quite honest I don't consider you one of the sycophants. I don't always agree with your posts but they're generally well thought out and well meant.

I'm angry and lashing out in general but I didn't intend to direct that anger at you. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Im really angry myself today. My partner was told they had a low grade cancer just before christmas. Blood tests in last few weeks show things have progressed. Waiting on MRI and further biopsies. Rang hospital regarding appointment when we didnt hear anything after Doctors call last week. Appointments office said it would be months getting an appointment, due to poxy Covid.
    Now what makes me so damn angry is, my Father in law, got his first vaccine recently and is due second one shortly, and Im wondering, will I be left with out my partner, due to cancer getting worse over next few months, and will I be instead left with a healthy 80 year old vaccinated FIIL????

I feel like my partner is being scarificed so the elderly parent can live . I know we cant have the elderly dying, but by jaysus we do need the HSE to get their **** together and remember all the other major health issues

Don't want to worry you but I'll add my bit, a guy I played football with died last week as he had a bypass cancelled twice because of covid, he died Monday and the operation was scheduled for Tuesday, just too little too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RedPaddyX

I’m absolutely fuming over this madness. And to announce it late on a Friday night of the Easter holidays with no public debate in Dail etc. pathetic, cowardly and without logic. No criteria, no exit strategy, no clarity, no debate.

I’ve just lodged complaint to the EU.

Every single person in here needs to get straight onto the phone to their local TDs and blast them out of it. And get your family and friends to do the same. They are killing this country and taking our freedoms one step at a time.

I have lots of friends in the US and they are getting fully back to normal. Everything open, vaccines at full pelt, people flying around different states. I’m embarrassed to be Irish tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Remember you can put pressure on the Irish government by embarrassing them to the EU...it just takes a few minutes

please do it if you feel it is against EU rights... https://ec.europa.eu/assets/sg/report-a-breach/complaints_en/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭Polar101

Countries added and removed

At least they looked at the map now, I thought it was funny they had Aruba and Bonaire, but not Curacao (ABC islands).. a bit like closing Shannon and Cork airports to prevent people from traveling abroad, but leaving Dublin airport open.

And that is why I think we now have MHQ for the foreseeable future. Well into next year, if not longer. And the variants will still get in, of course, as this limited MHQ is not zero Covid (what with truckers, essential travel, land border, UK travel). We are doing something that has a substantial cost that will not achieve what people think it will achieve (except that it will appease the Twitter mob). And I think it is naive to think it will be done away with this year

What variants?

mightyreds wrote: »
    Don't want to worry you but I'll add my bit, a guy I played football with died last week as he had a bypass cancelled twice because of covid, he died Monday and the operation was scheduled for Tuesday, just too little too late.

Thats what I am terrified of, something seriously going wrong, and it will be too late :( Its frightening, and the worst part is, we can do nothing, only wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

It was. Sorry if I made you feel you had to post this and the very best wishes for your bubble

It seems to me there is one narrative from the HSE/ public health but on the ground its different

Its concerning tbh

It is no problem. They did tell me there would be a follow up call but that never happened!

Thank you. I am so glad I decided to check in personally on my support bubble as he was in a bad way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

4,500 have died of Covid in the space of a year and average age is 83 and mst had an underlying illness with not much time left regardless.

What is going to be the aftermath of delayed procedures, especially delayed cancer diagnosis.

This is going to be absolutely brutal in the next 12 months.

I'm 36 had Covid, my legs were wobbly one night and fatigue for three days and that was it.

Stop scare mongering with case numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Polar101 wrote: »
    At least they looked at the map now, I thought it was funny they had Aruba and Bonaire, but not Curacao (ABC islands).. a bit like closing Shannon and Cork airports to prevent people from traveling abroad, but leaving Dublin airport open.
    Uruguay isn't on the list, despite being beside Brazil.

1 in 8 of their cases is the P1 Manaus variant, and they have a large outbreak.

This is genuinely shambolic, and I cannot believe that senior Ministers are allowing this to happen.

Remember you can put pressure on the Irish government by embarrassing them to the EU...it just takes a few minutes

please do it if you feel it is against EU rights... https://ec.europa.eu/assets/sg/report-a-breach/complaints_en/

I’ve just done it. And I’m going to be on the phone and email to every local politician I can find tomorrow.

It would be helpful if someone knew which EU laws we can cite etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The day the last vaccine is administered is not the day the crisis ends

It’s the day the real crisis begins

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

So that doesn't really tell me why we have MHQ

Unless its down again to hospital capacity

I work with colleagues across the globe, they cannot believe what is happening here tbh

I have weekly MT meetings with colleagues across the Europe for the past year

Ireland are in a league of their own

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Messi19

RedPaddyX wrote: »

I have lots of friends in the US and they are getting fully back to normal. Everything open, vaccines at full pelt, people flying around different states. I’m embarrassed to be Irish tonight.

Can you get on a plane tomorrow to visit your friends in the US? No because they won't let you in. Are your US friends embarrassed to be American because you can't visit them? Probably not

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - this is the 4th time you have posted that link tonight, and the 2nd time in this thread. Spam it again and you'll get a holiday from the forum

Messi19 wrote: »
    Can you get on a plane tomorrow to visit your friends in the US? No because they won't let you in. Are your US friends embarrassed to be American because you can't visit them? Probably not

They're talking about changing that while we're talking about asking things more restricted though. Big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭Polar101

hmmm wrote: »
    Uruguay isn't on the list, despite being beside Brazil.

1 in 8 of their cases is the P1 Manaus variant, and they have a large outbreak.

This is genuinely shambolic, and I cannot believe that senior Ministers are allowing this to happen.

Because the country list hasn't been very well thought out, I've been thinking the MHQ is just a very temporary measure to slow variant spread, rather than to stop it. But I guess it could just be that the implementation is a shambles.

Messi19 wrote: »

A restriction they quite intelligently put in a year ago while we hummed and hawed and said travel is a right. A year later when they are removing it we are going in the opposite direction

• Advertisement

I think it will .
    But thanks for the decent post.
    (No offence to you,woody22 )
    Nice discussion here tonight . :(

It obviously hits a sensitive note for people but there is no excuse for bashing and ganging up on other posters just because they don't agree with that opinion

People have travel cancelled because of Covid , and Europe is going through a surge, so yes, its a good idea.
    Why Israel and America when they are so far ahead with vaccines ?...I don't get that either .
    Maybe because there are still vast swathes not vaccinated , both in US , which has circulating
    variants , Israel hasn't managed to vaccinate the Orthodox Jews or the Palestinians yet .
    Why are vaccinated people not allowed to travel in or out ?
    I don't know.

Anyone?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement