Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RedPaddyX

hmmm wrote: »
    I'm amazed at the number of people who think travel can be simply shut down to and from Ireland. They have no idea of the number of foreign workers who work here and who we are dependent on. They also have no idea of the number of Irish people who travel to and from Ireland to work, and the number of Irish companies who send people overseas or need to allow people to visit them.

We're not going to have a private sector when this is over.

Exactly my own job relies on frequent trips to UK and other places. This road is going to kill that and 10s of thousands of other jobs, not to mention tourism, business development etc

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭purplefields

hmmm wrote: »
    I'm amazed at the number of people who think travel can be simply shut down to and from Ireland. They have no idea of the number of foreign workers who work here and who we are dependent on. They also have no idea of the number of Irish people who travel to and from Ireland to work, and the number of Irish companies who send people overseas or need to allow people to visit them.

We're not going to have a private sector when this is over.

I hadn't thought of that to be honest.
    Like those keelings fruit pickers.

I suppose people will use Belfast, making the whole thing pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 The Great Gatsby

Messi19 wrote: »
    Can you get on a plane tomorrow to visit your friends in the US? No because they won't let you in. Are your US friends embarrassed to be American because you can't visit them? Probably not

I could be wrong on this so feel free to correct me, but US citizens can fly from Ireland to the US without having to quarantine for two weeks in a hotel back in the US at their expense . . . Irish citizens, however, flying from the US to Ireland must quarantine for two weeks in a hotel in Dublin (even if they are fully vaccinated, even if they have a negative Covid test three days before their flight, and even if they have a family in Ireland where they can self-quarantine . . . so, it's not exactly the same).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The Taoiseach, Minister for Health and especially the Minister for Transport are driving this country into the wall in ways I couldn't imagine and there seems to be no one there to shout stop.

The messes they are creating atm here, Covid related and non Covid related, will set us back for years.

We had a world class aviation sector pre Covid and it's being driven into the ground. Of course, the Minister for Transport supports this approach. He can go around the place whistling about how green we are while all our college graduates are in Australia and the same atmosphere we are not polluting into is being filled with toxic plumes of smoke from brand new coal fired power plants in Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

RedPaddyX wrote: »
    I have to admire your optimism and relaxed attitude. And the funny thing is that is usually my default.

I think one of the reasons I’m so concerned is I’ve seen this cross roads a long time ago. You see the reality is: Variants will always exist out there - and will keep mutating indefinitely in various places around the world (Africa, South America, India etc). Vaccines will therefore need to be tweaked every year - that will take time and have mixed success (aka the flu vaccine has mixed success and takes months to develop each year). This is a coronavirus similar to flu and common cold but way more deadly and contagious - and crucially and very unfortunately it spreads pre symptomatic. That is crucial as it means it will not become less severe with mutations (there is longer explanation to this which you can look up).

Therefore a cross roads we were always going to face at some point was go down the lockdown,zero Covid, quarantine route (which per above I see no possible way out of) or just accept that we need to find a way to live with this thing and get back living (vaccinate the elderly and vulnerable each year and open up for everyone else). That is what worries me, going down this quarantine route I see no way exit ramp. People need to come to grips with that. Optimism is great but I see years of restricted travel except for the very wealthy and privileged (and a decimated economy).

You're listening to government excuses to failure (new variants) and believing them. Yes their could be a crazy variant that escapes all vaccines and previous vaccines, it will probably arrive the same time as an earth destroying asteroid.

Government are using variants as an excuse now to take caution. To use an excuse to open slowly while the rest of the world open faster.
    It's not based on data we have here and now, it's based on some 0.00001% chance it will occur and they will use that minuscule chance as an excuse.

• Advertisement

I hadn't thought of that to be honest.
    Like those keelings fruit pickers.

I suppose people will use Belfast, making the whole thing pointless.

You would actually need Michael O'Leary to announce Ryanair doubling flights from Belfast to the UK and other countries to make the government realize how ****ed up their quarantine is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

House parties are rampant which is grand which are probably driving up the numbers a small but 99% with a mild illness wont get tested,

I dont blame 16 to to 40 year olds living their life, virus is harmless to them.

Under 250 now in hospital

time to start easing the restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Messi19

I could be wrong on this so feel free to correct me, but US citizens can fly from Ireland to the US without having to quarantine for two weeks in a hotel back in the US at their expense . . . Irish citizens, however, flying from the US to Ireland must quarantine for two weeks in a hotel in Dublin (even if they are fully vaccinated, even if they have a negative Covid test three days before their flight, and even if they have a family in Ireland where they can self-quarantine . . . so, it's not exactly the same).

Yes that sounds correct. The poster I replied to said he was embarrassed to be Irish now that we've added the US to the mhq list. The comparison I was making was that US citizens can still visit here but we can't visit there. It's certainly not the same but I'm not sure what point you're making

US travelers won't have to quarantine until the 15th.
    But it begs the question, whats the point of PCR tests before flying?
    They use to be accepted, now we need a quarantine.
    Likewise vaccines, ok we don't have vaccine passports and I haven't seem many countries (if any) introduce them. Without a global system they are useless to police.
    But if you arrive in Ireland and get tested positive for antibodies (ie vaccination) and the and get tested with PCR and it's negative, why can't you skip quarantine?

These discussions we're having is all fine if we're back in April 2019 and trying for zero covid. Right now it's pointless.

House parties are rampant which is grand which are probably driving up the numbers a small but 99% with a mild illness wont get tested,

I dont blame 16 to to 40 year olds living their life, virus is harmless to them.

Under 250 now in hospital

time to start easing the restrictions

Yeah but they will be tested when they are hospitalized with covid. Unless you think all young are immune? Thank god it's not an infectious disease that these young people can't pass on to elderly people /s

• Advertisement

Wolf359f wrote: »
    US travelers won't have to quarantine until the 15th.
    But it begs the question, whats the point of PCR tests before flying?
    They use to be accepted, now we need a quarantine.
    Likewise vaccines, ok we don't have vaccine passports and I haven't seem many countries (if any) introduce them. Without a global system they are useless to police.
    But if you arrive in Ireland and get tested positive for antibodies (ie vaccination) and the and get tested with PCR and it's negative, why can't you skip quarantine?

These discussions we're having is all fine if we're back in April 2019 and trying for zero covid. Right now it's pointless.

The U.K. also have mandatory hotel quarantine, have had it longer than us and still have it in place. I don't see the same furore there as there is here

The U.K. also have mandatory hotel quarantine, have had it longer than us and still have it in place. I don't see the same furore there as there is here

I just get the feeling the UK are looking for serious strains in a high incidence that could cause issues to them.

Here they have a dart board with a world map and they are throwing a dart blindfolded and then justifying why that country should be added.
    (you know it's Eamonn Ryan spinning MM or Leo around while he sings 'you spin me right round baby, right round'

I just get the feeling the UK are looking for serious strains in a high incidence that could cause issues to them.

Here they have a dart board with a world map and they are throwing a dart blindfolded and then justifying why that country should be added.
    (you know it's Eamonn Ryan spinning MM or Leo around while he sings 'you spin me right round baby, right round'

Some of the countries on the list are bizarre alright, Israel being the obvious one even though it's off it now. Countries will go on and off over time so it's not permanent. I think the U.K. found a few cases of the Brazilian variant and hunted the people down asap. They're concerned and so should we be

https://news.sky.com/story/brazil-variant-where-in-the-uk-was-it-found-is-it-more-deadly-and-do-vaccines-work-against-it-12232126

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Goldengirl wrote: »
    variants , Israel hasn't managed to vaccinate the Orthodox Jews or the Palestinians yet .

Correction, Israel doesn't want to vaccinate Palestinians in the occupied territories.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,598 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

wes wrote: »
    Correction, Israel doesn't want to vaccinate Palestinians in the occupied territories.

Correction. The Palestinian Authority is responsible for health care in the West Bank and Gaza. Palestinian's resident in Israel are vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ours, as is being shown, has holes in it. There are also discussions at present on how to beef up the home quarantine approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭prunudo

Whatever about non EU countries being added to the list, I do have reservations about adding countries that we need as allies in the future.
    We have approx 450 cases a day here at present, schools and many work settings are reopening on Monday, yet we're worrying about people flying in from France or Italy who have had to show a negative test to get on a flight anyway.

Not saying we shouldn't be easing restrictions on Monday, just that we need to accept a certain level of rise in cases next week. So again, how bad is the problem of spread from our EU neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

We do need to hear more from Paul Reid as he gets the mix between the need to be both cautious and positive better than many of the rest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Weird to see our public health officials being positive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Yeah great Paul Reid being so positive but really nothing is changing in the short term.
    If you think back to when that story was broken in the Irish daily mail during an interview with Micheal Martin that lockdown was to continue for another 9 weeks until the beginning of May..there was absolute pandemonium, people were tearing their hair out.
    But really if you look at the upcoming "relaxation" of restrictions..if you are under 30 (with no kids), don't work in construction and living in a county away from the cities there really is nothing in it. Most of us are effectively still in a level 5 lockdown until beginning of May.

Also funny that the government decided to space out the relaxation of restrictions across the month when NPHET warned of the surge a few weeks back but now no such thing has materialised they won't bring it forward again. So bloody frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

You're listening to government excuses to failure (new variants) and believing them. Yes their could be a crazy variant that escapes all vaccines and previous vaccines, it will probably arrive the same time as an earth destroying asteroid.

Government are using variants as an excuse now to take caution. To use an excuse to open slowly while the rest of the world open faster.
    It's not based on data we have here and now, it's based on some 0.00001% chance it will occur and they will use that minuscule chance as an excuse.

Agreed. Our only ‘Variants of Concern’ should be the current variant of politician running the country off a cliff!

We badly need a vaccine for the lack of leadership and economic ignorance on display.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

420 k a year for a few tweets and radio interviews nice

mean gene wrote: »
    Not by design nor of his making. There is the shiny new HSE plan sitting on a shelf somewhere waiting for this to be all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,404 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 24,404 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

He must be thinking he's worth a few more bob given the annual budget at his "disposal"

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭aziz

He is generally much more optimistic.

If he is saying that what will Nphet be thinking?

I dont understand. If the vaccines are as good as being reported we should be returning to normal. :confused:

Ah sure god love him,probably the most work he’s done since taking the job.
    Probably need a pay rise when it’s over

• Registered Users Posts: 9,432 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

is_that_so wrote: »
    Not by design nor of his making. There is the shiny new HSE plan sitting on a shelf somewhere waiting for this to be all over.

Plan for what exactly?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,660 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Its difficult to have any faith in the competency of the people making the decisions on mandatory quarantine when the issue of somebody being already vaccinated but eligible for quarantine appears to have not been considered at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Vicxas wrote: »
    Weird to see our public health officials being positive

Funny how the head of the HSE is being positive, while NPHET continue to be as miserable and negative as f**k.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement