Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

eagle eye wrote: »
    Am I the only one disappointed with the numbers? I was hoping we'd be in the 200's by the end of this week but it's not looking like we are anywhere close to that.
    Only you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Only you.

No, there's 2 more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭blowitupref

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    No, there's 2 more.
    Says someone that liked that daft post

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

saabsaab wrote: »
    It could be that a super-Covid which renders all our vaccines useless is just a foreigner away. Its not worth the risk especially after what all this has cost in lives and otherwise to get this far.

Super-covid ,sounds like something sky news woul spout

• Registered Users Posts: 13,693 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

as more and more test centres are opened up, is it any wonder cases are not dropping - keep testing asymptomatic cases you will get more cases.
    Wish NPHET/Government/HSE showed same desire to up vaccinations and tighten quarantine rules (over 12 months) as they do to opening test centres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

gozunda wrote: »
    I've no idea why ideas such as people allegedly not being permitted to visit parents etc are still being referred to.

From day 1 - restrictions have always been allowed for essential travel for "Caring for older or vulnerable people, particularly if they live alone"

Even if that is only to check up on parents or to bring supplies or groceries - it is permitted.

Way too much misinformation still circulating about these kind of things.

Lots of people's parents are neither vulnerable nor live alone!

Yet more evidence that those most in favour of restrictions, either don't believe they apply to themselves, or misinterpret them to suit themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

With numbers we've been having lately, is this more seasonal? More people spending it outdoors?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

eagle eye wrote: »
    Am I the only one disappointed with the numbers? I was hoping we'd be in the 200's by the end of this week but it's not looking like we are anywhere close to that.

I am actually pleased with the numbers . Because for weeks now children are out playing together , playgrounds full , parks full , people meeting in gardens and yet the numbers are stable . Hospital numbers are dropping , ICU casea dropping .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

thebaz wrote: »
    as more and more test centres are opened up, is it any wonder cases are not dropping - keep testing asymptomatic cases you will get more cases.
    Wish NPHET/Government/HSE showed same desire to up vaccinations and tighten quarantine rules (over 12 months) as they do to opening test centres.
    The positivity rate has been dropping for the past few months and continued to drop.
    I still believe most of the vaccination issues are supply related and once supply is good they will get them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

thebaz wrote: »

You may be asymptomatic when you go for the test at the Walk in Centres but that can rapidly change. It certainly did for my family & it left one of us in hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Only you.

Yazoo and covered by The Flying Pickets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Knine wrote: »
    You may be asymptomatic when you go for the test at the Walk in Centres but that can rapidly change. It certainly did for my family & it left one of us in hospital.

Weren't you recently tested positive? Or am I thinking of the wrong poster? Hope all is well now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Azatadine wrote: »
    Yazoo and covered by The Flying Pickets.

Portishead too although a different song with same title. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Plan for what exactly?
    The HSE, it's what they were working on before they were so rudely interrupted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭blowitupref

With numbers we've been having lately, is this more seasonal? More people spending it outdoors?
    A lot Europe are dealing with a surge and we had to deal with our own surge this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Vaccine rates are really ramping up on the continent. Germany will be doing a million a day from next week.

They should reach heard immunity by early June.

Hungary should reach herd immunity by late May- given shots to 30% of population already and ramping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Vaccine rates are really ramping up on the continent. Germany will be doing a million a day from next week.

They should reach heard immunity by early June.

Hungary should reach herd immunity by late May- given shots to 30% of population already and ramping up.

Do you have a link to the German 1 million per day article? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,904 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Reuters.
    German health minister Jens Spahn said the country was heading towards giving 3.5 million vaccinations a week by the start of May, aiming to cover the population by the end of summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Tyrone212 wrote: »

Sorry, i only heard it from a German friend and havent been able to find an article on it

I found this graph thought of recent increase

Eyduv9uUYAE9-DQ?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

prunudo wrote: »
    Maybe because for months on end we have been told things we can't do, ie can't visit other households and they rarely tell us the things we can do. I for one, have never heard MM, any other senior member of government or Nphet tell us to visit parents or vulnerable people.

No that doesn't explain it at all. If I had any doubt about the regulations or restrictions - I'm damned sure I'd use my trusty old googling device to look up the actual government web page.

And I have heard about it from multiple official sources that caring for others is exempt from restrictions.

Other than putting up large billboards explaining this stuff I'm not sure what really can be done tbh.

• Advertisement

Lots of people's parents are neither vulnerable nor live alone!

Yet more evidence that those most in favour of restrictions, either don't believe they apply to themselves, or misinterpret them to suit themselves.

Ballcocks. The wording is "older or vulnerable". And a parent "living alone" does not exclude the other two criteria.

Now I don't know about anyone else but I've yet to meet anyones parents (as we were discussing) who are younger than them. (I'm sure there's some somewhere maybe). And some may be both ie vulnerable and older, or indeed all three - ie vulnerable, older and living alone. Or they just may be older!

The above wording is detailed relating to essential travel but is also explained for those that live here - as giving care to a vulnerable person or attending to other vital family matters

To paraphrase yet more evidence that those with 'de anti gubermint / anti restrictions nonsense will do the damnest to fudge the actual facts or misinterpret them to suit themselves

'We are in a race against time to get global transmission rates low enough to prevent the emergence and spread of new variants. The danger is that variants will arise that can overcome the immunity conferred by vaccinations or prior infection.'

https://theconversation.com/new-covid-variants-have-changed-the-game-and-vaccines-will-not-be-enough-we-need-global-maximum-suppression-157870

We may have only one good shot at this.

Are you serious? MHQ to 2024 then. Just in case.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭prunudo

No that doesn't explain it at all. If I had any doubt about the regulations or restrictions - I'm damned sure I'd use my trusty old googling device to look up the actual government web page.

And I have heard about it from multiple official sources that caring for others is exempt from restrictions.

Other than putting up large billboards explaining this stuff I'm not sure what really can be done tbh.

Well for whatever reason, whether you believe it or not, as has been shown by multiple posters on these boards, plenty of people haven't been calling by their parents as they believe its against the guidelines. And I firmly believe its due to the messaging from authorities that visiting households and not travelling beyond 5km was against the guidelines. And I'm aware these weren't the actual guidelines and 5km was only for exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Are you serious? MHQ to 2024 then. Just in case.....

Best not to give too much time to those people who want to lock us up for years on end. You have a normal view, they have a cautious view.

prunudo wrote: »
    Well for whatever reason, whether you believe it or not, as has been shown by multiple posters on these boards, plenty of people haven't been calling by their parents as they believe its against the guidelines. And I firmly believe its due to the messaging from authorities that visiting households and not travelling beyond 5km was against the guidelines. And I'm aware these weren't the actual guidelines and 5km was only for exercise.

Its also been discussed repeatedly in this forum. Many many times.

Its also easy to look up the guidelines on gov.ie or the citizens information website.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭prunudo

Its also been discussed repeatedly in this forum. Many many times.

Its also easy to look up the guidelines on gov.ie or the citizens information website.

Like I said, there are many people who were confused by the rules. This also extends to Gardai on checkpoints who have intimidated people who try to say what they are doing is okay by the rules. Many people haven't been checking up on family members for fear of being fined. Its great that you discovered the website with the exact wordings, many others haven't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

'We are in a race against time to get global transmission rates low enough to prevent the emergence and spread of new variants. The danger is that variants will arise that can overcome the immunity conferred by vaccinations or prior infection.'

https://theconversation.com/new-covid-variants-have-changed-the-game-and-vaccines-will-not-be-enough-we-need-global-maximum-suppression-157870

We may have only one good shot at this.

is that you george lee ?

clickbait boll1x

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Best not to give too much time to those people who want to lock us up for years on end. You have a normal view, they have a cautious view.

Sensible view too. Just obey the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

So one year on from Ireland’s first lockdown:

- We’ve been in a state of lockdown since apart from a brief reopening over the summer & Christmas and still have had thousands of cases, deaths and hospitalisations - and nothing else to show for it
    - NPHET are still used as a defacto Government because the people in charge don’t want the responsibility to make meaningful decisions. A group of doctors with only Covid as their remit have been given the authority to dictate policy across all Departments. To the point some of them would tweet against Government policy during the last 12 months in an attempt to drum up public support. Our leadership & running of a tight ship has been non-existant.
    - We’ve decided now that we’ve effective vaccines coming and the end is nigh to introduced mandatory hotel quarantine - and include travellers from the EU & US...I can hardly believe this as I type. Martin even suggesting today they’d set up a hotel in Wexford to ‘catch’ travellers coming from France?! So effectively an attempt is now being made to imprison the citizens of Ireland here & prevent families from going abroad for a holidays, no matter what the Covid levels in said country or vaccination situation.
    Not to mention they’re throwing fully vaccinated people into the quarantine for no apparent reason.
    The absolute decimation of our tourist industry, FDI & future investment and other issues this will cause our workforce is scary to think about.
    - We’ve people like Gerry Killeen out tweeting support for Martin’s Wexford hotel idea & also encouraging policing of the border with the North...where they’re all vaccinated? The same man who wanted to keep schools closed, get masks on 5 year olds & Ireland in a permanent lockdown.
    - They decided to keep the 5k limit for the Easter holidays for fear children and families might enjoy themselves in the open countryside. Need to keep those local parks full & people in a depressed state after all for anyone who’s actually still following the 5k that is.
    - No plan is developed for post Covid healthcare crisis. Why on earth am I seeing posts about people diagnosed with cancer who are getting no treatment or care? They should get onto national tv right now and state their case. Also call a solicitor & demand answers as to why they’re not being seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

So one year on from Ireland’s first lockdown:

- We’ve been in a state of lockdown since apart from a brief reopening over the summer & Christmas and still have had thousands of cases, deaths and hospitalisations - and nothing else to show for it
    - NPHET are still used as a defacto Government because the people in charge don’t want the responsibility to make meaningful decisions. A group of doctors with only Covid as their remit have been given the authority to dictate policy across all Departments. To the point some of them would tweet against Government policy during the last 12 months in an attempt to drum up public support. Our leadership & running of a tight ship has been non-existant.
    - We’ve decided now that we’ve effective vaccines coming and the end is nigh to introduced mandatory hotel quarantine - and include travellers from the EU & US...I can hardly believe this as I type. Martin even suggesting today they’d set up a hotel in Wexford to ‘catch’ travellers coming from France?! So effectively an attempt is now being made to imprison the citizens of Ireland here & prevent families from going abroad for a holidays, no matter what the Covid levels in said country or vaccination situation.
    Not to mention they’re throwing fully vaccinated people into the quarantine for no apparent reason.
    The absolute decimation of our tourist industry, FDI & future investment and other issues this will cause our workforce is scary to think about.
    - We’ve people like Gerry Killeen out tweeting support for Martin’s Wexford hotel idea & also encouraging policing of the border with the North...where they’re all vaccinated? The same man who wanted to keep schools closed, get masks on 5 year olds & Ireland in a permanent lockdown.
    - They decided to keep the 5k limit for the Easter holidays for fear children and families might enjoy themselves in the open countryside. Need to keep those local parks full & people in a depressed state after all for anyone who’s actually still following the 5k that is.
    - No plan is developed for post Covid healthcare crisis. Why on earth am I seeing posts about people diagnosed with cancer who are getting no treatment or care? They should get onto national tv right now and state their case. Also call a solicitor & demand answers as to why they’re not being seen.

Nothing to show for it? What did you expect from a pandemic? Wehave avoided probably 50,000 deaths and now the vaccine is on the way. That's something.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement