Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

is_that_so wrote: »
    The planned rollout is June. There'll be nothing sufficient at that point. They'll be as useful as wet toilet paper.

I don't follow you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

If all of this is true then why are we looking at trusting vaccine certificates to free us?

I really don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

A ski resort in Whistler, Canada has had a large breakout of the P1 variant, making Canada the biggest hotspot outside Brazil for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Sweden's mortality rate is 40% higher.

From COVID yes. But it’s not the only thing that people die of. It’s this blanket assumption that anyone who has a COVID death rate higher than ours has done worse and we sit here saying aren’t we great and patting ourselves on the back.

Is the death rate the only metric we have of measuring success ?

Years of debt repayments in front of us, undiagnosed illnesses that will probably kill just as many people as COVID has - picking up these in the early stages is generally known to provide the best outlook for any diagnosis - and a throughly depressed and apathetic nation for whom, in reality, life will not return to normal in any reasonable form this year.

It’s awful that people have died from this, and my heart goes out to anyone who has lost anyone to COVID.

And I’m probably going to get slaughtered for saying this but Spock was right.

“The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one”

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

saabsaab wrote: »
    I don't follow you.
    The EU is planning to have them ready up and running by June. We will have very few fully vaccinated at that point, so a somewhat pointless piece of paper.

• Advertisement

A ski resort in Whistler, Canada has a large breakout of the P1 variant, making Canada the biggest hotspot outside Brazil for it.

Another list candidate then.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

A school in Coolmine reminding parents that pupils must wear appropriate black .Talk about a disconnect from a principal who doest understand that shoes are the least of their worries at this moment in time .
    Our junior school here was quick to ensure parents that runners and warm clothes were needed and uniforms only if possible and available

https://extra.ie/2021/04/09/news/irish-news/dublin-school-shoes-policy

Coolmine’s policy on shoes has been met with criticism given that non-essential retail and click-and-collect services are closed under Level 5 restrictions.

Despite this, the school said pupils wearing inappropriate attire may be sent home to ‘rectify’ their dress. ‘We appreciate the challenges that this can present in terms of budget and laundry as well as the closure of shops, so we are grateful to you for ensuring that your son/daughter is dressed appropriately each day,’ the letter stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,404 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Half way through April and we are still only vaccinating 100k people a week. When is the "ramping up" to 250k people a week that we are "holding firm" for kicking in ?

The next two weeks are crucial

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    A school in Coolmine reminding parents that pupils must wear appropriate black .Talk about a disconnect from a principal who doest understand that shoes are the least of their worries at this moment in time .
    Our junior school here was quick to ensure parents that runners and warm clothes were needed and uniforms only if possible and available

https://extra.ie/2021/04/09/news/irish-news/dublin-school-shoes-policy

Coolmine’s policy on shoes has been met with criticism given that non-essential retail and click-and-collect services are closed under Level 5 restrictions.

Despite this, the school said pupils wearing inappropriate attire may be sent home to ‘rectify’ their dress. ‘We appreciate the challenges that this can present in terms of budget and laundry as well as the closure of shops, so we are grateful to you for ensuring that your son/daughter is dressed appropriately each day,’ the letter stated.
    Is laughing the right response here? That is pretty absurd!

A ski resort in Whistler, Canada has a large breakout of the P1 variant, making Canada the biggest hotspot outside Brazil for it.

Whistler was doing great until the powers that be allowed people from Vancouver and BC to the ski slopes and into shops and restaurants there .The locals are furious over the influx of visitors allowed in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,404 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Normal One wrote: »
    He is fully vaccinated and has tested negative several times, including this morning.

What a disgusting way to treat an Irish citizen.

Moral compass completely lost at this stage

As for being led by the science... Give me a break.

2,000,000+ vaccinated by June end!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

saabsaab wrote: »
    2,000,000+ vaccinated by June end!

Based on what imaginary data - that’s over 3m vaccines assuming 1m of those would be one shot J&J vaccines which is also being looked at for clots

Is laughing the right response here? That is pretty absurd!

You would have to laugh or you would cry at the stupidity of some people in power

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

RTE reporting that state has conceded for that man from Israel. Shouldn't have even had to take a high court challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Eod100 wrote: »
    RTE reporting that state has conceded for that man from Israel. Shouldn't have even had to take a high court challenge.

Haha its falling apart already.

As soon as the high court is involved and the state starts conceding then the starts to crumble

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Theres another case pending of a vaccinated Israeli woman iirc

Haha its falling apart already.

As soon as the high court is involved and the state starts conceding then the starts to crumble

Think it's only on case by case but yeah will need proper appeals system with chance of success. Otherwise there will be new case every other day.

Think it's only on case by case but yeah will need proper appeals system with chance of success. Otherwise there will be new case every other day.

My issue is with the lack or recognition of fully vax passengers. All studies pointing towards highly reduced transmission.

Quite shortly here fully vax people will not be considered close contacts either so you'd expect fully vax to be able to move inbound and outbound without being impeded

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My issue is with the lack or recognition of fully vax passengers. All studies pointing towards highly reduced transmission.

Quite shortly here fully vax people will not be considered close contacts either so you'd expect fully vax to be able to move inbound and outbound without being impeded

There is also mixed messaging with that article i linked saying one thing by the HSE about transmission and on the other hand fully valued not being considered close contacts

The lack of consistency is annoying

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Whistler was doing great until the powers that be allowed people from Vancouver and BC to the ski slopes and into shops and restaurants there .The locals are furious over the influx of visitors allowed in

The same mistakes being made a year later, crazy really.

I think once EU has common system it will solve that but would still be an issue for countries outside EU unless there is a global system.

Stheno wrote: »

Wonder do they get a refund of any of the fees for the mhq? Maybe refund of the nights they wont stay at least

I wonder under what are the grounds they are waiving requirement to stay at the MHQ, I presume it must be because they're both fully vaccinated and therefore are low-risk

• Registered Users Posts: 10,090 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Stheno wrote: »

It really looks like the government are terrified of this going to court.

Wonder do they get a refund of any of the fees for the mhq? Maybe refund of the nights they wont stay at least

Free stay for their next MHQ

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭xtal191

Might've been posted before, interesting to see how well Finland and Norway dealt with it

https://twitter.com/jomcinerney/status/1380987741001900033

• Advertisement

I wonder under what are the grounds they are waiving requirement to stay at the MHQ, I presume it must be because they're both fully vaccinated and therefore are low-risk

I'd have a good guess it's because the state knows the high court will rule against the state in these cases

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement