Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

Of course there has. Prepare for the RTÉ enabled propaganda blitz....

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

That piece reeks of a desperate attempt to defend the disastrous MHQ that's crumbling

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Of course there has. Prepare for the RTÉ enabled propaganda blitz....

It's like the positive cases in dugouts mentioned by dr. Henry to po poo the 0.001% transmission rate outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

zebastein wrote: »
    Lowest number for a long time I guess

Since mid December.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭prunudo

The over cautious approach continues, lets focus on all the negative possibilities, never open the economy again and hope for the best.
    Someone started a thread about 2021 being a right off, I was foolishly optimistic and said no it will be fine. Yet here we are, 3 ½ months in and they're still finding stories to scare us with, variants of concern being the new buzz word.
    The rate we're going, 2022 will be a right off too if those pulling the strings had their way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Brilliant. If we get a week of cases averaging out in the 300s or below that would be excellent.

There shouldn’t be any backlog anyway (unless from today) so looking good for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I know people are gonna say Sunday numbers, yada, yada.

But that's a great number

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Vicxas wrote: »
    I know people are gonna say Sunday numbers, yada, yada.

But that's a great number

Yes, and especially now that people don’t need a GP referral and can be tested in walk in centres, so the weekend effect is lessened.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That's a dog chasing its tail! They want everyone to be vaccinated but apparently they can be infected afterwards anyway.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

• Lowest daily number since mid-December.
    • Lowest number of new hospitalisations since November

Both figures from the so-called doomsday master Ronan Glynn.

Wait a minute, its as if he wants reasons for this to end and not the other way around like some conspiracy nuts here would have you believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,090 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Wonder will the state continue to concede? (such as the Dubai two). They are terrified of this being challenged constitutionally.

It seems that the state hasn't conceded and their cases are going to the court tomorrow.
    In the meantime for whatever reason, they have been released.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/two-travellers-from-israel-released-from-mandatory-hotel-quarantine-1.4534430#.YHMRpHql10U.twitter
    Two people who have challenged their detention in mandatory hotel quarantine have been released pending court hearings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

is_that_so wrote: »
    That's a dog chasing its tail! They want everyone to be vaccinated but apparently they can be infected afterwards anyway.

I kind of read that article a bit different to others...My thoughts were ‘We could have saved ourselves so much hassle/bother if we started quarantining earlier - even in January! How many other cases came through the airports previous. Not saying it would have solved everything but upsetting seeing this. Yet they still talk about outside and try dismiss the fact that outside basically is super low risk’...They were more my thoughts...

Faugheen wrote: »
    • Lowest daily number since mid-December.
    • Lowest number of new hospitalisations since November

Both figures from the so-called doomsday master Ronan Glynn.

Wait a minute, its as if he wants reasons for this to end and not the other way around like some conspiracy nuts here would have you believe.

It would help if he would stop talking about 'a degree of normality' and start saying 'full normality'. And it would also help if there was a level 0 in the 'living with covid plan'. His 'a degree of normality' sounds like the still heavily restricted level 1, the lowest level in the plan.

Yes, if they play this card too hard, as a justification for MHQ, it will definitely impact vaccination take up

prunudo wrote: »
    The over cautious approach continues, lets focus on all the negative possibilities, never open the economy again and hope for the best.
    Someone started a thread about 2021 being a right off, I was foolishly optimistic and said no it will be fine. Yet here we are, 3 ½ months in and they're still finding stories to scare us with, variants of concern being the new buzz word.
    The rate we're going, 2022 will be a right off too if those pulling the strings had their way.

The ''variants of concern'' is not the issue to which I was pointing. It is that the variants are being carried by fully vaccinated people. Which leads to many questions including the obvious one about why people are clamouring for vaccine passports. A negative PCR test result is better than a vaccine passport if preventing virus travelling or spreading in venues is what people intend. Easy cheap on the spot covid tests are better at stopping viral spread.

People can reject the implications all they want and I understand, because all of this is a very unpleasant adventure in our lifetimes - I will unfollow now just to avoid seeing the sneering - but the implications are clear and vaccination is not the get out of jail card people are blindly hoping it will be. I was just linking to the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,708 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

I kind of read that article a bit different to others...My thoughts were ‘We could have saved ourselves so much hassle/bother if we started quarantining earlier - even in January! How many other cases came through the airports previous. Not saying it would have solved everything but upsetting seeing this. Yet they still talk about outside and try dismiss the fact that outside basically is super low risk’...They were more my thoughts...
    I think it's more of a defence of the rules they came up, which may now need to be changed, quietly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

They are always under constant review.

I think it's more of a defence of the rules they came up, which may now need to be changed, quietly.

So can you clarify? What do you mean?

The ''variants of concern'' is not the issue to which I was pointing. It is that the variants are being carried by fully vaccinated people. Which leads to many questions including the obvious one about why people are clamouring for vaccine passports. A negative PCR test result is better than a vaccine passport if preventing virus travelling or spreading in venues is what people intend. Easy cheap on the spot covid tests are better at stopping viral spread.

People can reject the implications all they want and I understand, because all of this is a very unpleasant adventure in our lifetimes - I will unfollow now just to avoid seeing the sneering - but the implications are clear and vaccination is not the get out of jail card people are blindly hoping it will be. I was just linking to the info.
    There is currently a complete obsession by NPHET with VOCs and that will remain. Number are falling anyway, my own feeling is that walk-ins are having an impact. In time rapid tests will have to play a bigger part. The DoH needs to take a good look at the sloppy messaging that is in that article. The claims they are making now against letting fully vaccinated people go free are the exact opposite of what they are using to persuade people to get vaccinated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

The numbers given are those in Hospital with Covid 19, so surely you would have to assume they do include those who acquired it in Hospital?

There's 2 figures being recorded on the dashboard.
    Covid admissions and new covid cases confirmed in hospital.
    On the hpsc reports, it just states number hospitalised. There's no way to confirm which figure that is related to (admissions/covid cases in hospital)

So can you clarify? What do you mean?

I think they are covering their asses on the parts of the Act they wrote that now seem to be causing problems. In time IMO they will quietly change the regulations around MHQ.

Any county breakdown released?

There is currently a complete obsession by NPHET with VOCs and that will remain. Number are falling anyway, my own feeling is that walk-ins are having an impact. In time rapid tests will have to play a bigger part. The DoH needs to take a good look at the sloppy messaging that is in that article. The claims they are making now against letting fully vaccinated people go free are the exact opposite of what they are using to persuade people to get vaccinated.

Indeed. If there is no tangible benefit to me of getting vaccinated, I will not get vaccinated at this stage.

Exactly what you want to see the day before the big reopening. Great progress in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Indeed. If there is no tangible benefit to me of getting vaccinated, I will not get vaccinated at this stage.

What about the benefits to those around you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Would you take a vaccine that's proven safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    What about the benefits to those around you ?

Their vaccines should help them. If someone doesn't want to take the vaccine, leave them at it. I'll be taking it and so will most people, let the odd few who aren't do what they want.

Anyone else think they are not going to relax much here in May????!!! Despite figures/evidence/science?

Feel like they are set on certain dates and they won’t budge....Like the could easily bring forward the 26th of April to the 19th for example for outdoor sports yet not a chance this will happen...

• Advertisement

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Would you take a vaccine that's proven safe?
    Proven safe is not quite as nailed down as you imagine although I believe the poster was responding to the DoH stuff today on people being fully vaccinated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement