Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

Anyone else think they are not going to relax much here in May????!!! Despite figures/evidence/science?

Feel like they are set on certain dates and they won’t budge....Like the could easily bring forward the 26th of April to the 19th for example for outdoor sports yet not a chance this will happen...

We live in a country in the most severe level of lockdown with 20% of our population vaccinated. And the most vulnerable at that.

The only country to close construction this year.
    The only country that has imposed travel restrictions on its citizens for 7 months now.

Nothing will be brought forward. They’ll probably still be reluctant to open pubs when everyone is vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,823 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

303 cases 2 deaths RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Anyone else think they are not going to relax much here in May????!!! Despite figures/evidence/science?

Feel like they are set on certain dates and they won’t budge....Like the could easily bring forward the 26th of April to the 19th for example for outdoor sports yet not a chance this will happen...
    The vaccine supply is substantially increasing beginning from about now. I'm not expecting any major changes in May unfortunately, but as we approach 50-60% vaccinated that should change (maybe June-ish).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭XsApollo

theballz wrote: »
    Listened to McWilliams this week. The stats he referenced re our ICU capacity per 100,000 people was terrifying and is ultimately the driver behind the heavy lockdown we have over the last year.

5 ICU beds per 100,000 people in Ireland (same as Mexico) vs 39 ICU beds per 100,000 people in Germany yet we have one of the best funded health systems in the world?

The HSE needs a major reform post covid. Paul Reid (as great as a job he has done) needs to go and we need an experienced CEO who has managed such a reform in the past to do it. Stephen Donnelly also has no idea what he’s doing and is one of the most disingenuous politician I’ve ever seen.

Last year people had a sense of togetherness and hope, now it’s frustration and anger.

You can’t reform a system that won’t let you reform it.
    They will all go on strike if anything is changed.
    The only solution from the people in the system is for the government to pump more money in to the system.
    There are plenty of people in the health system that do amazing work and should be rewarded more generously than they are, there is also a serious amount of waste that needs to be cut, any attempt at reform is met with negativity, like a lot of the public services in this country.
    For the money we spend we should have one of the best health systems in the world, it really should be disbanded and built from the ground up but that will never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,091 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

We live in a country in the most severe level of lockdown with 20% of our population vaccinated.

We have only around 7% of the population fully vaccinated, and some of those are waiting for the second dose to take effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

We live in a country in the most severe level of lockdown with 20% of our population vaccinated. And the most vulnerable at that.

The only country that has imposed travel restrictions on its citizens for 7 months now.

Nothing will be brought forward. They’ll probably still be reluctant to open pubs when everyone is vaccinated.
    Not to cast any doubt on your assertions, but have you something resembling a reference for that 20% figure?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Ficheall wrote: »
    Not to cast any doubt on your assertions, but have you something resembling a reference for that 20% figure?

It's based on the adult population, 1 in 5 adults have received a first dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,091 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Someone in my family is in their late sixties and undergoing chemotherapy, and has only just received their first dose.

The reality is that there are a decent number of such vulnerable people who won't be protected by their second dose until the end of May, and are relying on close support from younger relatives and friends who haven't been vaccinated.

That's why the situation is still precarious. I am optimistic that at the end of May we'll be out of the woods, and then for the most part the remaining unvaccinated people (like me) can take precautions to protect themselves as they see fit whilst most things open back up.

It's "only" another six weeks ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bigly

When do the single shot vaccines come into play?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Bigly wrote: »
    When we get the second J&J batch, so probably next month. It is quite likely the first batch of 40K will be used for Travellers, Roma and homeless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Bigly wrote: »

First delivery of j&j is due on the week of 19 April afaik.

That said it wont be choice which vaccine you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

is_that_so wrote: »
    When we get the second J&J batch, so probably next month. It is quite likely the first batch of 40K will be used for Travellers, Roma and homeless.

Did you hear that from somewhere, about the first batch?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 The Great Gatsby

I think we also have the longest golf course lockdown of most, if not all, countries . . . I don't even play golf, but for the life of me I can't see an issue with two people or a family going out on a golf course for a game . . . some of the lockdown policies are mind boggling, or at least they are to me. -- maybe there are "variants" in the bunkers that I don't know about!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It's amazing that people still don't understand that the restrictions on golf etc aren't necessarily about the activities themselves, but it's about people gathering.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,404 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

theballz wrote: »
    Listened to McWilliams this week. The stats he referenced re our ICU capacity per 100,000 people was terrifying and is ultimately the driver behind the heavy lockdown we have over the last year.

5 ICU beds per 100,000 people in Ireland (same as Mexico) vs 39 ICU beds per 100,000 people in Germany yet we have one of the best funded health systems in the world?

The HSE needs a major reform post covid. Paul Reid (as great as a job he has done) needs to go and we need an experienced CEO who has managed such a reform in the past to do it. Stephen Donnelly also has no idea what he’s doing and is one of the most disingenuous politician I’ve ever seen.

Last year people had a sense of togetherness and hope, now it’s frustration and anger.

What has he done?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Faugheen wrote: »
    It's amazing that people still don't understand that the restrictions on golf etc aren't necessarily about the activities themselves, but it's about people gathering.

I know. The absolute horror of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Maybe a little less of the condescending posts, I am sure every body knows at this stage the rationale behind the outdoor sport restrictions.But guess what the Golf one along with a few others should have been dropped months ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

lawred2 wrote: »
    What has he done?

done a few tweets and radio interviews for his 420 k salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

People understand the flawed logic that stopping golf prevents gatherings but they have eyes and can see that people are gathering outside anyway without golf. The blanket banning of gatherings doesn't work anymore.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

lukas8888 wrote: »
    Maybe a little less of the condescending posts, I am sure every body knows at this stage the rationale behind the outdoor sport restrictions.But guess what the Golf one along with a few others should have been dropped months ago.

Well when I continue to see posts saying ‘What’s wrong with golf it’s a socially distant activity etc’ then clearly they don’t know at this stage.

It should have been dropped by now, I agree, but that’s not what people are implying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

It’s important to realise when questioning why golf is not allowed that the same people who decided to close the golf courses also closed construction in Ireland

The science is complicated

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭niamh247

Why are the schools re-opening when lock-down is still not lifted? Lockdown and travel restrictions mean it is very risky atmosphere out there, but resuming schools contradicts it. For people who are comfortable with online classes, reopening puts tremendous pressure and tension as the online classes are stopped and kids are forced to come to school. This seems totally nonsensical as it goes against the health for parents and kids, while claiming that reopening is for health reasons. Probably the policy makers are not in good mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Golf should never have been banned, moronic decision to stop it in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

I think they understand all right...I play golf and did last year...There was no real gathering of people....Just get out there and get off...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

niamh247 wrote: »
    Why are the schools re-opening when lock-down is still not lifted? Lockdown and travel restrictions mean it is very risky atmosphere out there, but resuming schools contradicts it. For people who are comfortable with online classes, reopening puts tremendous pressure and tension as the online classes are stopped and kids are forced to come to school. This seems totally nonsensical as it goes against the health for parents and kids, while claiming that reopening is for health reasons. Probably the policy makers are not in good mental health.

A child's education is essential. All other essential services are open, from supermarkets to phone shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Well when I continue to see posts saying ‘What’s wrong with golf it’s a socially distant activity etc’ then clearly they don’t know at this stage.

It should have been dropped by now, I agree, but that’s not what people are implying.

Glad you agree golf and other outdoor activities should be allowed,

The real argument is why our golf courses were closed 3.5 times more than Scotland. 210 days compared to 60. Both countries comparable in weather and climate.
    Scotland had no concerns about gatherings. NPHET are too concerned with telling people what not to do instead of promoting and encouraging what we can do. IMO people re act better to positive messages.

Putting a football comparison on it NPHET is Jose Mourinho when the team, us, need an Alex Ferguson or Jurgen klopp type manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭niamh247

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    A child's education is essential. All other essential services are open, from supermarkets to phone shops.

What's wrong with education through online classes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I think they understand all right...I play golf and did last year...There was no real gathering of people....Just get out there and get off...

I think the problem is the well known scrums that happen with golf. And the hugs and kisses with every successful putt. Dangerous game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

I was kind of hoping someone might disagree with me actually:) Yeah I am kind of doubtful/negative about the future....I feel like NPHET are going to be around forever...I can see them on the news still next April...I am being flippant but I’d like to be hearing plans for May now!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

niamh247 wrote: »

The question to ask is why have so many children been denied a proper education for so long!! Opening schools is a risk worth taken. Not every kid can study at home due to family and/or housing situation, bad WiFi etc....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement