Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 The Great Gatsby

RGS wrote: »
    There has been no gatherings at golf courses for the short period they were open last year. We have been closed for 210 days since March 2020.
    It was turn up, shoes on in the car park, off to the 1st tee, play and go home.

We had strict protocols in place. Rakes disappeared, flags remained in the hole, the majority of clubs implemented online bookings, online payment and digital scorecards, kept locker rooms and shower facilities closed.

With those protocols in place, it's mind boggling that golf courses in Ireland have been closed as long as they have been -- as someone said earlier, more than 3 times longer than in Scotland . . . I'd love to know what goes through someone's mind (or a groups mind) when they sit down and decide what's open, what's not, what's essential, what's not, etc -- how golf is on the lockdown list for so long is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

With those protocols in place, it's mind boggling that golf courses in Ireland have been closed as long as they have been -- as someone said earlier, more than 3 times longer than in Scotland . . . I'd love to know what goes through someone's mind (or a groups mind) when they sit down and decide what's open, what's not, what's essential, what's not, etc -- how golf is on the lockdown list for so long is ridiculous.

Hard to justify Golf as essential.
    But then if you allow it, based on it being outdoors and played solo, then they have to allow a whole lot of outdoor solo activities:
    Kayaking
    Surfing
    Paddle boarding
    Horseback riding
    Archery
    Scuba diving
    Fishing
    Windsurfing
    Sailing
    Diving
    etc...

Or is golf allowed as as it on private property?
    So 2 guys meeting up in a garden with 2 hurleys, a flag, a flaggan of cider and a hole dug out can be classed as golf.... once they use a gold ball of course.
    Once something is allowed, then it's always up for bending the rules etc....

For the greater good, who really gives a **** about golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Wolf359f wrote: »
    But then if you allow it, based on it being outdoors and played solo, then they have to allow a whole lot of outdoor solo activities:
    Kayaking
    Surfing
    Paddle boarding
    Horseback riding
    Archery
    Scuba diving
    Fishing
    Windsurfing
    Sailing
    Diving
    etc...

So 2 guys meeting up in a garden with 2 hurleys, a flag, a flaggan of cider and a hole dug out can be classed as golf.... once they use a gold ball of course.

All of those activities should have continued as they pose minimal covid risk but greatly increase peoples wellbeing. Reward>>>>>>>>>>>risk. But they don't care, it's only about covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,091 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

As far as I know none of those activities are explicitly prohibited, only travelling more than 5km to get there and gathering while doing them.

Am I wrong?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Kayaking
    Surfing
    Paddle boarding
    Horseback riding
    Archery
    Scuba diving
    Fishing
    Windsurfing
    Sailing
    Diving
    etc...
    Yeah, it'd be terrible if people were allowed to do outdoor activities that pose practically no risk to anyone :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    As far as I know none of those activities are explicitly prohibited, only travelling more than 5km to get there and gathering while doing them.

Am I wrong?

Where i live I’ve seen lots of horseback riding, paddle boarding, sea swimming , and fishing throughout level 5, I’ve done some of the above activities myself!

I live close to beaches , fantastic to see people outdoors enjoying healthy safe activities for the last few months! There was no ban on such activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,490 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Yes, you are right, they should be allowing outdoor solo activities.

Doing so would have allowed people some respite and in turn increased the likelihood of adherence to more important measures implemented elsewhere.

Unfortunately such complicated ideas are beyond NPHET and our current government.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Donnelly on Morning Ireland now, there’s something very arrogant about him - I don’t know why I think this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Kiith wrote: »
    Yeah, it'd be terrible if people were allowed to do outdoor activities that pose practically no risk to anyone :rolleyes:

Archery could be dangerous to other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

leahyl wrote: »
    Donnelly on Morning Ireland now, there’s something very arrogant about him - I don’t know why I think this!

He puts on an act. Strikes me as very insecure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Interesting from the IT today

Donnelly queries exclusion from department tweets
    Simon Carswell
    Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly queried why he was not being mentioned in tweets posted on the Department of Health’s Twitter feed, internal department records show.

wadacrack wrote: »
    He puts on an act. Strikes me as very insecure

Being totally caught out now by Mary Wilson - he’s stumbling over his words.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

is_that_so wrote: »
    The impression you get is that an appeal will just be rejected out of hand. The system needs to be challenged for legality and robustness.

To be honest, that appears to be a common tactic in dealing with government departments. Reject appeals to filter out the less determined, only the really determined will go on to take their appeal to a higher level or ultimately take their case to court before finally succeeding.

Simon Carswell
    Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly queried why he was not being mentioned in tweets posted on the Department of Health’s Twitter feed, internal department records show.

She questioned him on that very article - at one point he couldn’t get the words out!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Simon Carswell

Was quite funny listening to him stumble through that question on morning Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 12,660 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Kayaking
    Surfing
    Paddle boarding
    Horseback riding
    Archery
    Scuba diving
    Fishing
    Windsurfing
    Sailing
    Diving
    etc...

We've been at this over a year, not every question should be about whether something is 'essential' or not. Its utter nonsense. People searching for reasons to not allow an activity, it should be the opposite.

Golf should never have been stopped. If you think otherwise you've completely lost sight of what the virus is. We should be stopping activities because they're risky, not because it looks bad, not because it raises questions about other activities, not because of who it effects.

But hey, apparently golf is only a risky activity in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Did he say if it was safe to get back on a trampoline from today?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Big day re. easing restrictions in the UK today.

Wish them well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Being totally caught out now by Mary Wilson - he’s stumbling over his words.

He's totally out of his depth.

The Minister for Health should not care about what tweets he is/isn't mentioned - especially at the height of the pandemic back in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

saabsaab wrote: »
    Not 100% effective. More to come.

That's some serious crystal ball stuff..

We don't know if a variants becomes one of concern and evades vaccines. It hasn't happened yet and there have been thousands of variants. It might happen, who knows.

What is being understood more now is that antibodies aren't the only thing fighting infection. T-cells stay around long after antibodies wane and they do a job to fight the virus too, and not exclusively with any one variant.

To say otherwise and predict the future is a waste of mental energy imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

JDxtra wrote: »

The Minister for Health should not care about what tweets he is/isn't mentioned - especially at the height of the pandemic back in January.

Good point about timing particularly. Article in question https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/stephen-donnelly-queries-why-his-department-s-tweets-don-t-mention-him-1.4534536?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Kayaking
    Surfing
    Paddle boarding
    Horseback riding
    Archery
    Scuba diving
    Fishing
    Windsurfing
    Sailing
    Diving
    etc...

Where have you been. Most of those other activities have been ongoing within your 5km and now further afield. You could always fish, kayak, wind surf etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Kiith wrote: »
    This has been one long morality exercise in Ireland. Other countries seem to have had much more emphasis on science and risk, but we've outdone ourselves with trying to find someone/something to blame.

I think it's because our restrictions were relatively lightly enforced, which meant the government were relying on public opinion to enforce them. Much of that opinion is poorly educated about where the risks are, and keep trying for zero risk in the areas they target instead of risk reduction.

Of course there's a risk with anything (e.g. people stupidly deciding to car-share on the way to an outdoor activity), but those risks are relatively low and are given far too much prominence. I knew myself we had reached that point when media and social media lit up with outrage at people going for a hike on the side of a mountain, I can't think of much which represents less of a risk.

We have the same thing now with MHQ. RTE blasting out headlines about how three outbreaks (out of 385) could be traced back to plane travel. Nevermind all the other outbreaks, the entire attention of the country is focused on the morally deficient people who are travelling and demand zero risk (e.g. serious talk about detaining people who are both vaccinated and recently tested in case they are carrying the virus).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Against death and serious illness they are. There are now at least 750,000 variants so yes of course there will be more but that doesn't mean a new VUI will automatically become a VOC. TBH hard to see here whether you welcome them or are using them as an opportunity to defend our ongoing approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Kayaking
    Surfing
    Paddle boarding
    Horseback riding
    Archery
    Scuba diving
    Fishing
    Windsurfing
    Sailing
    Diving
    etc...

Nothing to stop any one doing most of the activities you mention as most of the activities take place in public places. Horseriding schools I presume are closed.
    Golf and Tennis take place in enclosed private properties so easy to keep closed. That's the main reason golf and tennis are mentioned by posters. They are specifically prohibited.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

JDxtra wrote: »

100% agree. To complain about the number of mentions he is getting in tweets is childish and IMO shows a total immaturity.

More worried about how many times Harris is mentioned in tweets than dealing with our health problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Donnelly used an interesting phrase on Morning Ireland regarding the vaccines - something along the lines of "80% of people will be in a position to be offered the vaccine"

Up to now I've only heard "offered the vaccine". Is this a watering down of the target? Will they open up the booking portal at the end of June and therefore you are "in a position to be offered"

They were never 100%.

Donnelly used an interesting phrase on Morning Ireland regarding the vaccines - something along the lines of "80% of people will be in a position to be offered the vaccine"

Up to now I've only heard "offered the vaccine". Is this a watering down of the target? Will they open up the booking portal at the end of June and therefore you are "in a position to be offered"

You're over thinking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The portal is flagged to be available in the next couple of weeks, first to the 65-69 group. That Donnelly comment is just what they hope and the big number is aimed at giving people hope. It's still largely only first shots.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement