Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Stephen Donnelly hadn't read a front page story about him this morning before he appeared on a radio interview.

He's an embarrassment to the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

leahyl wrote: »
    Has that number increased? Could have sworn it was at 209 a few days ago.
    Yeah it was at 208 on Saturday morning. There's always a jump at the weekend because consultants aren't working so there are very few discharges.

You see discharges at the start of the week, then they tail off towards the end of the week. You're nearly always guaranteed that numbers hit their weekly lows on Friday night and their weekly high on Monday morning.

So "increased" is a relative measure :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Archery could be dangerous to other people.

Hah, that's a fair point :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

seamus wrote: »
    Hospitals at 227 this morning, of which 50 are in ICU.

By this time next week we should be solidly under 200 in hospital and under 50 in ICU.

These are both key numbers that I think will force Martin to address the schedule for reopening with a greater level of certainty.

On the 19th they'll announce the vaccine booking system is open. At that stage, "You'll be able to go play sports next Monday, and then we'll see after that", just won't be good enough. People want details now.

Agree on this. Veradkar stating back in January that there would need to be less than 50in ICU for any major easing may come back to haunt them.

Must go see if I can find a link to that being reported

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Stheno wrote: »
    Agree on this. Veradkar stating back in January that there would need to be less than 50in ICU for any major easing may come back to haunt them.

He said they would need to approach 50 before we start easing restrictions. Numbers are 50 today and coincidentally restrictions are starting to ease from today :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

seamus wrote: »
    Hospitals at 227 this morning, of which 50 are in ICU.

By this time next week we should be solidly under 200 in hospital and under 50 in ICU.

These are both key numbers that I think will force Martin to address the schedule for reopening with a greater level of certainty.

On the 19th they'll announce the vaccine booking system is open. At that stage, "You'll be able to go play sports next Monday, and then we'll see after that", just won't be good enough. People want details now.

Really wish I could share your optimism. All you wrote make tons of sense, but at this point in my mind the government already has at least a rough timeline for reopening (and they had it since february), and bar some unexpected fifth wave (since we're already past the fourth) they'll stick to those dates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Vicxas wrote: »
    Oh Here we go....

Israel study says SA variant can "bypass" the Pfizer vaccine to a certain extent.

https://www.thejournal.ie/israeli-study-finds-south-african-variant-can-evade-pfizer-biontech-vaccine-5407089-Apr2021/

I hate when people get all technical and go into medical speak and use phrases like" to a certain extent." So precise.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kleiner feigling

I'd urge everyone here to please write to your TDs ahead of the June vote to extend Part 3 of the Health Act (which facilitated the draconian rules around business closures, fines, and the 2k, 5k restrictions etc.)

The site below gives TD contact details and sample letters you can use/amend as you see fit.
    I for one do not want to see these government powers extended any further.
    We are all well aware of where the risks lie and how to protect ourselves at this stage, and it is time for businesses to be allowed to reopen safely.

https://ichr.ie/proposed-extension-of-part-3-of-the-health/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭optogirl

I'd urge everyone here to please write to your TDs ahead of the June vote to extend Part 3 of the Health Act (which facilitated the draconian rules around business closures, fines, and the 2k, 5k restrictions etc.)

The site below gives TD contact details and sample letters you can use/amend as you see fit.
    We are all well aware of where the risks lie and how to protect ourselves at this stage, and it is time for businesses to be allowed to reopen safely.

No thanks. I think as frustrating & slow as this whole thing has been, the government are doing their best in extreme circumstances. Of course they won't and haven't got everything right but countless lives have been saved and this is not something that any government could have adequately prepared for.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Even better - heres all the TDs emails in one easy to copy and paste into your email program of choice.

• Advertisement

optogirl wrote: »
    No thanks. I think as frustrating & slow as this whole thing has been, the government are doing their best in extreme circumstances. Of course they won't and haven't got everything right but countless lives have been saved and this is not something that any government could have adequately prepared for.

You make some fair points, and I agree that the emergency measures were initially necessary - but I can't get behind the forced closure of businesses since Christmas.
    With the vaccine rollout and greater knowledge overall, I just don't think its proportionate for the Government to potentially use the same reactive measures as they have done to date. Most of the measures simply don't makes sense (eg regarding outdoor activity/movement).
    I've definitely lost confidence in their competency to manage this situation when they keep resorting to extremely strict lockdowns.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Even better - heres all the TDs emails in one easy to copy and paste into your email program of choice.

Cheers for that, very handy!

For anyone using it, please also consider posting a letter as these are much harder to ignore than emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Good few comments on here this morning in relation to Stephen Donnelly on Morning Ireland. I just want to add that the interviewer was very bad I thought. Pushing Donnelly to give details of a contingency plan in terms of rollout if NIAC give new guidelines for Astra Zenica, even though we don't even know what guidelines NIAC will give yet.

Also pushed him to guarantee that even with this Astra Zenica issue, to guarantee that 80% will be offered a vaccine by end of June. I'm no fan of Donnelly but how can he guarantee something out of his control? If he guaranteed it and then a load of Pfizer factories went up in smoke he'd be blamed for not meeting the figures he guaranteed.

It's gutter journalism, just looking for the headline 'Health Minister guarentees 80% offered vaccine by end of June'

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Stheno wrote: »

He said it here

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/highlights-from-the-hard-shoulder/leo-varadkar-icu-numbers-to-be-below-50-before-we-reopen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

You make some fair points, and I agree that the emergency measures were initially necessary - but I can't get behind the forced closure of businesses since Christmas.
    With the vaccine rollout and greater knowledge overall, I just don't think its proportionate for the Government to potentially use the same reactive measures as they have done to date. Most of the measures simply don't makes sense (eg regarding outdoor activity/movement).
    I've definitely lost confidence in their competency to manage this situation when they keep resorting to extremely strict lockdowns.

That's OK... Just think back to December and remember what happened,how fast it happened, how many people died and how long it took to come to some level of control again. That puts my mind at ease about the lockdown policy and the cautious approach to reopening.

Today is day one of a potential re-set.... lets see how the two week incubation and breakout period goes first, before we call for further relaxations.

Ger Roe wrote: »
    That's OK... Just think back to December and remember what happened,how fast it happened, how many people died and how long it took to come to some level of control again. That puts my mind at ease about the lockdown policy and the cautious approach to reopening.

Today is day one of a potential re-set.... lets see how the two week incubation and breakout period goes first, before we call for further relaxations.

That’s when the disease was peaking during respiratory illness season though.

A third of a year has passed since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Ger Roe wrote: »

This is not December. We have vaccinated HCWS and a lot of the vulnerable.

December happen because of a number of factors, a 6 week lockdown from early October thanks to NPHET, a 3 week Christmas window, Leo told us we would be locked down in January.

Our easing of restrictions are far too slow.
    Plenty of things could open successfully now--Outdoor not contact sports, kids training, click and collect, Hairdressers and barbers.
    In May we should have outdoor dining open, adult sport training, kids competitive sports and after June bank holiday all hotels should be open.

Will do.

For me it’s not about ditching the whole concept. It’s about allowing nuance, re vaccinations of individuals, and the vaccination status of countries, certain essential travel, and a clear set of criteria for countries going on and off. It’s true that we don’t want people flying in on tourist visas from Brazil. But at the same time we need to facilitate life going on in a highly family and professionally interconnected country

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

We are all well aware of where the risks lie and how to protect ourselves at this stage

12 months, 3 successive waves, thousands of hospitalisations and deaths says otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Brilliant, thanks for posting that. Emails sent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,490 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Turtwig wrote: »
    12 months, 3 successive waves, thousands of hospitalisations and deaths says otherwise.

Are you seriously trying to say that we don't know where the risks are in relation to covid? Seriously?

Honestly, this crap is a ****ing religion to some people.

Are you seriously trying to say that we don't know where the risks are in relation to covid? Seriously?

The risks apply to a tiny proportion of the population, as another poster outlined all nuance is out the window. Effectively burning down the house to flush out a rodent (copyright attributed to Facehugger99 before a miserable pedant cries foul). Lockdown an incredibly blunt tool that has negatively impacted the livelihoods of a half million people, mine included. Those at genuine risk are nearly vaccinated, rest of younger and healthy populace have been mercilessly punished for too long and this needs to stop now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Yep.
    As a society we have collectively failed over and over at controlling it. I prefer looking at results over beliefs. (The opposite of religion.) The results so far indicate to me that not everyone understands the risks as well as the post I was replying to was claiming.

This is not the same btw as saying nobody understands the risk. There is also an element too of understanding them and ignoring them. There's a balance to everything.

I just feel the results to date suggest we're not as good as we claim to be at understanding and managing risk when it comes to covid. If we were we wouldnt have had to ensure a long drawn shtty year.

Yep.
    As a society we have collectively failed over and over at controlling it. I prefer looking at results over beliefs. (The opposite of religion.) The results so far indicate to me that not everyone understands the risks as well as the post I was replying to was claiming.

This is not the same btw as saying nobody understands the risk. There is also an element too of understanding them and ignoring them. There's a balance to everything.

I just feel the results to date suggest we're not as good as we claim to be at understanding and managing risk when it comes to covid. If we were we wouldnt have had to ensure a long drawn shtty year.

We understand the risk.

There is a possibility of getting sick when you step outside the door.

Even if you don’t, you’ll likely get sick eventually anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The risks apply to a tiny proportion of the population, as another poster outlined all nuance is out the window. Effectively burning down the house to flush out a rodent (copyright attributed to Facehugger99 before a miserable pedant cries foul). Lockdown an incredibly blunt tool that has negatively impacted the livelihoods of a half million people, mine included. Those at genuine risk are nearly vaccinated, rest of younger and healthy populace have been mercilessly punished for too long and this needs to stop now.

I've not been vaccinated yet, I'm in the 'At Risk' category, there's a heap of us to be done yet.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Has there been any more news on booking your vaccine online for the 65 to 69 age group? I heard last week that it was being brought forward to this week but nothing since.

Ah, you are one of those who blame the people for what happened as opposed to a government response that wasn't fit for purpose.

"The beatings will continue until employee morale improves" used to be a joke, strange to see some people actually using it seriously.

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Has there been any more news on booking your vaccine online for the 65 to 69 age group? I heard last week that it was being brought forward to this week but nothing since.

Meanwhile up North if you are over 40 you can book a vaccine for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Tyrone212 wrote: »

Not yet - they'll wait for NIAC to report on AstraZeneca before they say anything further about vaccine rollout.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

You still have people saying restaurants and gyms are safe and low-risk environments for Covid. So yes, society as a whole doesn't seem to know where the risks are in relation to Covid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement