Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

fits wrote: »
    They will get their second shot as planned.

Is that confirmed?

Is the restriction to over 60s even confirmed?

So far all I've seen is articles saying that this is the expected outcome, but nothing seems to be set in stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Is that confirmed?

So far all I've seen is articles saying that this is the expected outcome, but nothing seems to be set in stone.

Nothing is official yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Great to see the rugby players can pop in and out of the country without quarantine.

It will give a lift to anyone in quarantine being able to watch the rugby while their parents are dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Is that confirmed?

I’d say they are working on that problem. As much as people may not like it, if the NAIC say is unsafe for under 60’s, the government will have issues in requiring the second shot of an unsafe vaccine. Since it’s EUA they’ll really have issues, even if they make a case for the greater good.

The issue now will be when to get cohort 4 under 60’s in to get Pfizer/Moderna/ J&J. How much time will need to elapse etc for the vaccination. I’m going to guess they kick the decision down the road in hopes that second jab of another vaccine works and approved by the EMA / AZ gets more safety information to allow the second dose be given.

The government will have major issues if they require the 12 week break and then start you on the 6 week program of another vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,708 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

- Camille Paglia

- Camille Paglia

And yet Mark Drakeford is saying that mask wearing and social distancing, which he calls 'simple measures', will still be around by the end of the year: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/three-restrictions-mark-drakeford-says-20239664

• Registered Users Posts: 12,610 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Is there a presser today for case numbers.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

394 cases 0 deaths reported

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Love a good 0 deaths day.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

And yet Mark Drakeford is saying that mask wearing and social distancing, which he calls 'simple measures', will still be around by the end of the year: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/three-restrictions-mark-drakeford-says-20239664

Social distancing makes much of the economy unviable. Reduced capacity at events = unviable. Reduced numbers in pubs restaurants etc = unviable. Severely constrained public transport = no capacity.

Social distancing is not a simple measure. It’s the main thing that needs to be dropped for any sense of normality to resume

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Russman

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    NIAC twice as cautious as UK

Only 60-69 years olds can take AZ here whereas UK 30+

It’s the UK that’s the outlier though, compared to our peer countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭blowitupref

394 cases 0 deaths reported

7-day average in cases 413 it was 488 last Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Unfortunately its not over yet according to the WHO

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0412/1209227-world-covid/?fbclid=IwAR2PkwaQeyGW-emjGCy40bpWVMBAzA6EheeN8aVviAaWtY-p-FvBvMslBoA
    The Covid-19 pandemic has entered a critical phase as infections increase exponentially despite widespread measures aimed at stopping them, the World Health Organization has warned, with record case numbers in South Asia triggering tough new restrictions.

The coronavirus has already killed more than 2.9 million people and infected nearly 136 million across the world.

The WHO's technical lead on Covid-19 Maria Van Kerkhove said: "The trajectory of this pandemic is growing ... exponentially."

"This is not the situation we want to be in 16 months into a pandemic, when we have proven control measures," she told reporters, adding "we are in a critical point of the pandemic right now".

India has overtaken Brazil as the country with the second-highest number of infections, after logging more than 168,000 new cases in a single day.

The recent, rapid increase of infections has taken India's total number of cases to 13.5 million, above Brazil's 13.48 million.

Experts have warned that huge, mostly maskless and tightly packed crowds at political rallies, mass religious festivals and other public places have fuelled the new wave of cases in India.

In the Himalayan city of Haridwar, Hindu pilgrims not wearing face coverings squeezed shoulder-to-shoulder on the banks of the Ganges River jostling for a dip as they observed a Kumbh Mela ritual, despite the risk of infection.

Held once every three years, Kumbh Mela is often labelled the world's largest religious gathering, but the 2021 event has posed a challenge to health officials who are struggling to enforce pandemic safety measures.

Several regions have tightened curbs on activity while Maharashtra, India's wealthiest state and current epicentre of the country's epidemic, imposed a weekend lockdown and night curfew.

But the government is desperate to avoid a repeat of last year's nationwide March shutdown - one of the world's toughest - which caused widespread human and economic misery.

Neighbouring Bangladesh has already resorted to drastic measures, announcing that it will close all offices for eight days, in an attempt to staunch its own spiralling outbreak.

The South Asian nation of 160 million people will virtually seal itself off, shutting down both international and domestic transportation from Wednesday.

All stores, except those supplying food, will close.

Shin

When the UK drop it as part of their reopening plan they'll follow suit soon after.

Now that all depends on if the UK reach the last stage of opening in June, when social limits are all gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,493 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

shinzon wrote: »

George Lee and the members of NPHET are salivating at this prospect

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

PTH2009 wrote: »

No they fcking aren't. Nobody wants this sh1t to be prolonged.

Russman wrote: »
    It’s the UK that’s the outlier though, compared to our peer countries.

UK has been the outlier since day 1 of the vaccines. Priority to those most likely to die and those who care for them, then work downwards from there.

Extend AZ doses to 12 weeks get more people protected ASAP, same with Pfizer.

Peer countries have done the opposite and look at the results.

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Russman

Peer countries have done the opposite and look at the results.

Please explain

Russman wrote: »
    Please explain

Really ?

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I have tried very hard to be patient and try to see the problems and difficulties . Today took the bloody biscuit and patience slowly running out
    Now the vaccine rollout will be messed up again and people will probably die waiting for their turn .
    Will more die waiting that would die from clots ? Will people die from stress and illness caused by the stress of vaccine delay ?
    And the shambles of hotel quarantine is almost too much to handle now
    My daughter in UK has received four covid rapid tests in the post , allowed out to meet friends and shops open . This because the vaccine rollout was organised , quick and no messing going on .
    I feel so upset today as my husband is due his vaccine on Saturday and we were so pleased and excited but now dreading them saying this will change .
    The messing around with our heads is too much now and causing harmful stress on people
    I give up now being patient

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

shinzon wrote: »

And get India isn’t on the MHQ list. (I mean I think MHQ is a nonsense, but to have it but not have India on it is even more of a nonsense!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Why is Anthony Staines being rolled out on RTÉ once again, without a question in the world re email leaks or Saul Alinsky’s Rules for Radicals which he was involved in sharing to his fellow peers on ISAG.
    Cathríona Perry on Six One with a nice cosy little chat with him, free pass on any sort of misleading information he and his colleagues have stated in the previous 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

PTH2009 wrote: »

Would you ever catch yourself on? That's pure tripe.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I have tried very hard to be patient and try to see the problems and difficulties . Today took the bloody biscuit and patience slowly running out
    Now the vaccine rollout will be messed up again and people will probably die waiting for their turn .
    Will more die waiting that would die from clots ? Will people die from stress and illness caused by the stress of vaccine delay ?
    And the shambles of hotel quarantine is almost too much to handle now
    My daughter in UK has received four covid rapid tests in the post , allowed out to meet friends and shops open . This because the vaccine rollout was organised , quick and no messing going on .
    I feel so upset today as my husband is due his vaccine on Saturday and we were so pleased and excited but now dreading them saying this will change .
    The messing around with our heads is too much now and causing harmful stress on people
    I give up now being patient

NPHET are so advising that for the next six weeks they would like to see social contacs maintained at the current levels
    There remains a considerable risk that Ireland will experience a further wave of infection if public health restrictions are eased too quickly,” he will tell the committee.

“A further wave of infection can be substantially mitigated if levels of social contact across the population remain largely unchanged over the next six weeks.”

The priority must, for the coming weeks, remain on maintaining control over the disease, until vaccination can offer a widespread population level of protection.”

https://m.independent.ie/news/risk-of-a-fourth-wave-of-covid-19-considerableif-restrictions-are-eased-too-quickly-nphet-to-warn-40305133.html

Thats the end of May. With the schools back and sports restarting for children I can't see how social contacts will not go up

And if they are waiting till vaccine rollout is widespread in the population to recommend easing it could be a way off

What a ****e day

Stheno wrote: »
    NPHET are so advising that for the next six weeks they would like to see social contacs maintained at the current levels

https://m.independent.ie/news/risk-of-a-fourth-wave-of-covid-19-considerableif-restrictions-are-eased-too-quickly-nphet-to-warn-40305133.html

Thats the end of May. With the schools back and sports restarting for children I can't see how social contacts will not go up

And if they are waiting till vaccine rollout is widespread in the population to recommend easing it could be a way off

What a ****e day

I mean do people expect them to say anything different at this stage? We've had it for a year at this stage.

We're a few weeks away yet from May but there's no reason what's been outlined for May so far can't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I mean do people expect them to say anything different at this stage? We've had it for a year at this stage.

We're a few weeks away yet from May but there's no reason what's been outlined for May so far can't happen.

How do you see whats been outline for May being able to happen and not have a rise in social contacts?

If the govt listen to the NPHET narrative I'd be pessimistic about it tbh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement