Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RedPaddyX

Goldengirl wrote: »
    The first and last point of the three predated the pandemic.
    The middle one re lockdown is valid .
    One would expect an economist to be concerned about the economy , as one would expect public health to be concerned about infected cases .
    No surprise David McWilliams has something to say .

Just listen to the first 15min of the podcast and you’ll get the context. The basic message is our results of handling the pandemic are much poorer than they should have been despite doing much further damage to our economy. The extreme damage being caused to multiple sectors of economy (small business ecosystem, aviation, tourism, multinationals) is detrimental.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,850 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Halfdane wrote: »
    At what point does the first dose start to become ineffective? At first there was a four week gap between shots, then 12, now 16. Surely that could have negative effects on the overall efficacy of the vaccine? I’ve seen no data related to a 16 week wait and efficacy figures.

Still 4 week gap for Pfizer and Moderna , they have always been that .
    AZ were 12 week and they are now talking about those who have got the first vaccine and are low risk or young waiting 16weeks before they get the 2nd dose.
    These would be mainly healthcare workers , as over 70 s don't get AZ .

RedPaddyX wrote: »
    Just listen to the first 15min of the podcast and you’ll get the context. The basic message is our results of handling the pandemic are much poorer than they should have been despite doing much further damage to our economy. The extreme damage being caused to multiple sectors of economy (small business ecosystem, aviation, tourism, multinationals) is detrimental.

I will but can't promise to agree with Mr McWilliams ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

No what France are doing has not been sanctioned, they are taking a risk from what I can see.

Kingston Mills tonight saying not a risk as such as both will give immunity , but outside of regulations alright and would be difficult to work out immunity being given .
    Might be better !
    But then effectively ditching AZ which will result on pressure on other supplies.
    There has been discussion about just one dose of Pfizer for example witha later booster , for example , as one dose gives such good immunity .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Halfdane

Still 4 week gap for Pfizer and Moderna , they have always been that .
    AZ were 12 week and they are now talking about those who have got the first vaccine and are low risk or young waiting 16weeks before they get the 2nd dose.
    These would be mainly healthcare workers , as over 70 s don't get AZ .

Correct! I have had my first dose of AZ three weeks ago. I’m wondering does the 16 week wait affect efficacy though? Based on what I read when they were changing it to 12 weeks that was kind of considered the cut off point for the first dose’s effectiveness. Surely an extra four weeks could reduce the supposed 82% final efficacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Gael23 wrote: »

Heartwarming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Of course they are

The next 6 weeks is vital

Just hold on a little longer

Then rinse and repeat at the end of June

Halfdane wrote: »
    Correct! I have had my first dose of AZ three weeks ago. I’m wondering does the 16 week wait affect efficacy though? Based on what I read when they were changing it to 12 weeks that was kind of considered the cut off point for the first dose’s effectiveness. Surely an extra four weeks could reduce the supposed 82% final efficacy?

I don't know is the answer .
    The trials have not been done for AZ on that gap.
    Have they spaced them out that much in UK I wonder ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Of course they are

The next 6 weeks is vital

Just hold on a little longer

Then rinse and repeat at the end of June

Rinse repeat July, August, September and so on.

The poor weather is keeping numbers down.

I wonder how Irish jealousy of England's situation manifest itself in the next few weeks.

I wonder how Irish jealousy of England's situation manifest itself in the next few weeks.

Not going to be happy really especially when easing of restrictions is put back thanks to self inflicted wounds of messing about with AZ by NIAC today

We'll fall further behind the UK and Northern Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

If there’s no considerable give in May there’s going to be problems

• Registered Users Posts: 24,404 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Why?

Afraid of losing the limelight

Attention seeking egotists at this stage.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

...if people increase their close contacts.

Ronan Glynn said all of this last Thursday, as well as saying that people have been keeping their contacts low so any cases aren’t spreading as much. That’s not unreasonable is it? I’d love to see any evidence you have that suggests otherwise

Literally nothing to see here. It’s RTE scaring people as per usual. This is why I urge people to actually watch the briefings and you can actually hear what has been said and not rely on the media cherry-picking whatever they think sounds the best for their headlines.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Afraid of losing the limelight

Attention seeking egotists at this stage.

Whipping up fear again I see.

They’re appearing before the Oireachtas Health Committee. What do you want them to do? Say everything is grand?

The real doom mongers are those who are hell bent to deny and come up with these wild conspiracy theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Hospital numbers at 8pm

Total 203 (down from 223 last night)
    ICU 46 (down from 50 last night - 1 death)

Last Monday
    Total 263
    ICU 55

Good numbers thankfully

Hopefully we'll hit under 200 shortly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Hospital numbers at 8pm

Total 203 (down from 223 last night)
    ICU 46 (down from 50 last night - 1 death)

Last Monday
    Total 263
    ICU 55

And glynn still on about 4th waves, cant ease restrictions.
    Is there any thing other than zero covid cases, zero covid ICU that will make glynn allow the country re open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭Polar101

RGS wrote: »
    Is there any thing other than zero covid cases, zero covid ICU that will make glynn allow the country re open.

Yes. Vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Polar101 wrote: »
    Yes. Vaccines.

But, but variants...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ruth123456

What is R number now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

ruth123456 wrote: »
    What is R number now?

Good question. I'd bet 0.6-0.8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Good question. I'd bet 0.6-0.8

Next week it will be 1.1. Correlation with schools.

RGS wrote: »
    And glynn still on about 4th waves, cant ease restrictions.

It’s not up to Ronan Glynn when the country reopens.

Seriously, how people continue to peddle that nonsense and let the government away with throwing NPHET under the bus is beyond me.

Fools. Every single one of you made a fool of by this government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

Faugheen wrote: »
    It’s not up to Ronan Glynn when the country reopens.

Seriously, how people continue to peddle that nonsense and let the government away with throwing NPHET under the bus is beyond me.

Fools. Every single one of you made a fool of by this government.

They don't have a pair of balls between them.

Cowards the lot of them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

We'll be under 200 in hospital by tomorrow evening all going well and we're under 50 in ICU now.

Even with plateauing case numbers in recent weeks, we've had hospital and ICU numbers continue to decline.

It's highly unlikely that any increase in cases unless there's an absolute explosion will have any major impact on hospital figures.

We do have wiggle room with restrictions heading into May.

We'd likely be able to open up some bit in May had there been a focus on regional issues in recent weeks.

With this "new virus" that Varadkar said would never let us get below 500 cases per day, we're now averaging well below that.

Kilkenny has an incidence rate of 15.12 per 100k. On a national level, if we had that, it would be equal to 50 cases per day in the whole country. Why is Level 5 able to produce this level of incidence in Kilkenny but not in Offaly? Offaly now has 19 times as much cases as Kilkenny despite being under the same restrictions for the last 3 months.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    We'll be under 200 in hospital by tomorrow evening all going well and we're under 50 in ICU now.

Even with plateauing case numbers in recent weeks, we've had hospital and ICU numbers continue to decline.

It's highly unlikely that any increase in cases unless there's an absolute explosion will have any major impact on hospital figures.

We do have wiggle room with restrictions heading into May.

We'd likely be able to open up some bit in May had there been a focus on regional issues in recent weeks.

With this "new virus" that Varadkar said would never let us get below 500 cases per day, we're now averaging well below that.

Kilkenny has an incidence rate of 15.12 per 100k. On a national level, if we had that, it would be equal to 50 cases per day in the whole country. Why is Level 5 able to produce this level of incidence in Kilkenny but not in Offaly? Offaly now has 19 times as much cases as Kilkenny despite being under the same restrictions for the last 3 months.

Because they are Offaly bad :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement