Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Because they are Offaly bad :D

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Of course they are

The next 6 weeks is vital

Just hold on a little longer

Then rinse and repeat at the end of June

This isn't a reasonable analysis, by the end of June three quarters of people will have had a vaccine shot and circumstances will be much better, not perfect, but better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,487 ✭✭✭prunudo

This isn't a reasonable analysis, by the end of June three quarters of people will have had a vaccine shot and circumstances will be much better, not perfect, but better.

Problem is, Nphet don't seem to appreciate this. They have shifted their approach from dealing with the current situation to what may or not happen in the future. We are in a far better place than we were in early February or March yet given the positive circumstances they are painfully slow at opening up businesses and society.
    Hospital numbers are on a constant decline and vaccinations albeit slowly are rising yet both nphet, niac and the government seem to be blinded by fear with a glacial pace of reopening and even more conservative than last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

prunudo wrote: »
    Problem is, Nphet don't seem to appreciate this. They have shifted their approach from dealing with the current situation to what may or not happen in the future. We are in a far better place than we were in early February or March yet given the positive circumstances they are painfully slow at opening up businesses and society.
    Hospital numbers are on a constant decline and vaccinations albeit slowly are rising yet both nphet, niac and the government seem to be blinded by fear with a glacial pace of reopening and even more conservative than last year.

They are most likely looking at what is happening in most other countries after opening up too much too soon and dont want to repeat those mistakes. Have a look at what the situation is globally.
    Apart from the highly vaccinated UK and Israel it's not great. Its terrible actually and getting worse.

Apparently zero covid was laughably impossible because of it's such a big old world, but vaccination is the silver bullet in spite of it's still being such a big old world. :confused:
    2.2% of the world have been fully vaccinated so far. Only 97.8% to quickly squeeze in before the 'booster shots for variants' round.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Do you agree that opening too fast has a highly likely chance to lead to an increase in close contacts, which have been remaining steady for a few weeks now?

The people likely to mix in larger numbers are those who haven’t had a vaccine. That’s a fact.

Ronan Glynn said all of this last Thursday, yet people who don’t actually watch the briefings have no idea of any context as to why these statements are being made.

If NPHET weren’t overly conservative then it wouldn’t be doing it’s job. The government is supposed to balance out its recommendations with the potential impact on the economy and society.

There is a committee of all the top civil servants that is supposed to analyse all of this, as well as a Cabinet Sub-Committee made up of the Taoiseach, Tanaiste and the ministers for health, finance, public expenditure and transport.

Who exactly is doing their jobs here, and who isn’t?

The people who aren’t doing their jobs are the ones who are getting the vitriol compared to what’s thrown at those who are doing their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Faugheen wrote: »
    It’s not up to Ronan Glynn when the country reopens.

Seriously, how people continue to peddle that nonsense and let the government away with throwing NPHET under the bus is beyond me.

Fools. Every single one of you made a fool of by this government.

But aren't the government taking their cue from nphet right now? Which is lockdown!

Going to Lanzarote on yer holliers, Christmas 2026

Official : Vaccine passport, please
    You : There you go, mam. :)
    Official : Sorry sir but this record is incomplete. :mad:
    You : :confused: But I have had 37 shots of vaccine.
    Official : I am afraid you are not up to date with the Shanghai variant, the Toronto twist nor have you had the Bengal booster. :eek: ¡No pasarán! today, baby!

They are most likely looking at what is happening in most other countries after opening up too much too soon and dont want to repeat those mistakes. Have a look at what the situation is globally.
    Apart from the highly vaccinated UK and Israel it's not great. Its terrible actually and getting worse.

We are approaching 4 months since non essential retail, hairdressing and many sports training was allowed. We have only just been given the go ahead to meet family or friends but not in our own gardens. They are so conservative its ridiculous. For the life of me I can't see how click and collect isn't allowed.
    We should have started easing on March 5th, not full on open hospitality but there should have been a gentle easing.
    And lets not forget, what is happening in Europe is what we were dealing with at the start of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,092 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

But aren't the government taking their cue from nphet right now? Which is lockdown!

The government are choosing to take their cue from NPHET.

You can't expect public health professionals to advocate for disease and death. It would be like your doctor advising you to drink alcohol or snort coke.

Who passes the lockdown legislation? Not NPHET.

• Advertisement

Exactly! And they are hiding behind them and pointing the finger at them as if NPHET call the shots, when they don’t!

When things are going well, the government opens up and takes all credit. When it’s going badly, they say they have to follow the public health advice with zero responsibility for ignoring NPHET for the guts of a year!!

Your post literally proved my point. I’m blue in the face trying to make this point and people (Doctor Jimbob aside, to be fair) refuse to listen because it doesn’t line up with their thinking.

The media is playing a role in this as well. They’re painting NPHET as the decision-makers when they aren’t!

Do you agree that opening too fast has a highly likely chance to lead to an increase in close contacts, which have been remaining steady for a few weeks now?

The people likely to mix in larger numbers are those who haven’t had a vaccine. That’s a fact.

Ronan Glynn said all of this last Thursday, yet people who don’t actually watch the briefings have no idea of any context as to why these statements are being made.

If NPHET weren’t overly conservative then it wouldn’t be doing it’s job. The government is supposed to balance out its recommendations with the potential impact on the economy and society.

There is a committee of all the top civil servants that is supposed to analyse all of this, as well as a Cabinet Sub-Committee made up of the Taoiseach, Tanaiste and the ministers for health, finance, public expenditure and transport.

The people who aren’t doing their jobs are the ones who are getting the vitriol compared to what’s thrown at those who are doing their jobs.

Opening up too fast, don't make me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

We are approaching 4 months since non essential retail, hairdressing and many sports training was allowed. We have only just been given the go ahead to meet family or friends but not in our own gardens. They are so conservative its ridiculous. For the life of me I can't see how click and collect isn't allowed.
    We should have started easing on March 5th, not full on open hospitality but there should have been a gentle easing.
    And lets not forget, what is happening in Europe is what we were dealing with at the start of the year.

It’s complete insanity - the most conservative lockdown, the most conservative reopening, the most conservative approach to the economy, the most conservative approach to vaccines. We urgently need a government with a semblance of a spine to get us out of this loop of doom and misery!

No one is suggesting a full and immediate reopening while we have only 20% of the population with their first dose but to continue to have outside sports, click/collect, outdoor dining and other low risk activities closed is laughable.

Opening up too fast, don't make me laugh.

Cherry-picked a statement and used it to misrepresent what was being said.

No response to the question I actually asked, which shows you are truly out of your depth when the facts are spelt out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

They are not allowing click and collect in case some of us are bold and pop in to our friend for coffee on the way back .Or can any one enlighten me of any other reason ?
    They are not allowing us buy shoes and get the childrens feet properly for some reason only known to them .
    They are not allowing people meet in gardens in case were are silly billys and move indoors when we need to pee .
    Treating people like bold children is the massive mistake they make so that people loose the will and do exactly what they think is best anyway .
    I will be meeting my friend in my garden where we are safer than a small bench in a packed park and feck NPHET because I am an adult who knows my own risks and where i am safer .,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I will be meeting my friend in my garden where we are safer than a small bench in a packed park and hump them because I am an adult who knows my own risks and where i am safer .,

At least take precautions.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You mean the message of doom and gloom like the one below from Ronan Glynn?

https://twitter.com/eoghanymurphy/status/1381660746048806919?s=21

Oh wait...
    Who said anything about gloom? That really is in your head. Their message is of caution and is at times very alarmist. It is also sharply critical, vaguely supportive and very occasionally like the one you could find, positive. It's complex world but you do need to be consistent in your messaging, something they have been very poor at, at times. Donnelly, for all his many flaws, has been better as have many of the political establishment.

Cherry-picked a statement and used it to misrepresent what was being said.

No response to the question I actually asked, which shows you are truly out of your depth when the facts are spelt out for you.

Tbh, I've no time to respond to your posts. They constantly defend nphet and commonly misrepresent what posts being critical of nphet are saying.
    I will agree with one thing though, the government are hiding behind them and the media are taking their ques from nphet so ther many things at blame. But ultimately its nphet policy that means we are still essentially in level 5 lockdown with many businesses closed and many people unable to see family or friends.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    At least take precautions.

It will also be more aesthetically pleasing for the rest of us if people in general hump their friends in their back gardens, rather than on park benches.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Kingston Mills tonight saying not a risk as such as both will give immunity , but outside of regulations alright and would be difficult to work out immunity being given .
    Might be better !
    But then effectively ditching AZ which will result on pressure on other supplies.
    There has been discussion about just one dose of Pfizer for example witha later booster , for example , as one dose gives such good immunity .

Did he outline reasons why he thought it should be ok. The problem was there's no data on this I thought.

• Advertisement

Tbh, I've no time to respond to your posts. They constantly defend nphet and commonly misrepresent what posts being critical of nphet are saying.
    I will agree with one thing though, the government are hiding behind them and the media are taking their ques from nphet so ther many things at blame. But ultimately its nphet policy that means we are still essentially in level 5 lockdown with many businesses closed and many people unable to see family or friends.

And the posts constantly criticising NPHET misrepresent what their role is and include whacky Gemma-level conspiracy theories.

It’s NPHET policy but it doesn’t have to be. That’s the point. People make the point that NPHET make the decisions when simple fact is the government want to absolve all responsibility for its handling and just point the finger at the ‘public health advice’, which they also CHOSE to ignore for nearly a year!

No surprise you don’t want to respond. Another person who runs away when presented with the facts. You’ll be back again later running the same tried and tested lines which have been debunked on numerous occasions now.

• Site Banned Posts: 5 surveybeacon

terrible picture...

And the posts constantly criticising NPHET misrepresent what their role is and include whacky Gemma-level conspiracy theories.

It’s NPHET policy but it doesn’t have to be. That’s the point. People make the point that NPHET make the decisions when simple fact is the government want to absolve all responsibility for its handling and just point the finger at the ‘public health advice’, which they also CHOSE to ignore for nearly a year!

No surprise you don’t want to respond. Another person who runs away when presented with the facts. You’ll be back again later running the same tried and tested lines which have been debunked on numerous occasions now.

So because I'm critical of the pace of opening I'm a whacky Gemma-level conspiracy theorist.
    Good bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

It’s not an either or situation- the government and NEPHET ****ed up at Christmas by going from hard lockdown to a 3 week holiday from a pandemic in the name of a meaningful Christmas.

There’s tonnes of stuff that could and should be open now - outdoor sports for kids, click and collect etc. Instead we still need to book an appointment for kids shoes!!

Opening too quick! Building pent up demand is only going to cause problems down the line anyway. People are walking around with pretty sharp haircuts! They are pushing business underground.

Meanwhile headline in the indo is summer in danger because of AZ vaccine issues. People have and are giving up. They are losing the dressing room.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

So because I'm critical of the pace of opening I'm a whacky Gemma-level conspiracy theorist.
    Good bye.

Have you said that NPHET are power-hungry? Attention seekers? Want to control the country? Want to keep us locked down and never reopen? Are making all the decisions?

There are numerous other statements I could make, but if you have made none of the above statements then obviously it doesn’t apply to you.

Did I say you specifically made any of those posts? No, I never. So don’t be so precious.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,491 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Gael23 wrote: »
    If there’s no considerable give in May there’s going to be problems

The Irish people haven't got the balls to cause problems, just as Micheal Martin hasn't the balls to actually make a decision on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

NPHET should simply be advising the Government. Nothing More.

Communication to the Irish Public should have been from a Government Minister only.

.42. wrote: »

Communication to the Irish Public should have been from a Government Minister only.

And that’s all they do.

Anyone who believes otherwise can blame the government who aren’t willing to take responsibility for the bad things caused by their own negligence.

.42. wrote: »

Why a Mechanical Engineer with management consultancy background and not actual public health officials with the expertise to accurately communicate public health detail?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

Why a Mechanical Engineer with management consultancy background and not actual public health officials with the expertise to accurately communicate public health detail?

Empathy - NPHET have been lacking it from day 1.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement