Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Yes and no. Its a balance of risks. It seems as if this clot issue does exist, but at such a low level that the damage caused by COVID in the weeks that this delays things, is higher than just allowing the odd clot to happen as a known, justifiable side effect.

It's not a balance of risks though. if it were, we wouldnt have such tough restrictions domestically in the first place.

We have long since abandoned the concept of acceptable risks. So its no surprise to see vaccines getting cancelled due to a tiny percentage of blood clots.
    Just as we quarantine fully vaccinated people because a tiny percentage MAY carry covid. Its completely bonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Yeah hopefully. It really is "an abundance of caution" so they may well declare the tiny risk worth it overall. It's like the opposite of winning the lottery in terms of probability.

Yeah I've just done some rough numbers so far and the AZ risk on current numbers is higher than J&J.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

Why cant the government advise people on the risk of taking the vaccine and leave the decision on the individual to take it or not. This blanket ban on a large cohort of people is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

Is there a % Breakdown of Blood clotting by Gender?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭timmyntc

shamco wrote: »
    Why cant the government advise people on the risk of mixing outdoors and leave the decision on the individual to take it or not. This blanket ban on a large cohort of people is crazy.

FYP ;)

• Advertisement

gas stuff altogether, now EXTRA.IE know what NPHET are saying to GOVT apparently before they say it!!

Is this an april fools joke belated or something?

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/health/medical/nphet-to-outline-length-of-further-restrictions-as-they-warn-oireachtas-of-possible-fourth-wave/ar-BB1fB2V7?li=BBr5HCU

Dr Glynn’s opening statement to the Oireachtas committee will say: ‘All of this means that we can be hopeful of a return to better and more normal times.

‘However, while significant progress is being made in controlling the disease and in rolling out vaccines, we still have a high level of infection, we are dealing with a much more transmissible virus than last year, and the absolute number of people fully protected through vaccination remains low.’

Dr Glynn will go on to say that these factors mean that a ‘considerable risk’ of a ‘further wave of infection’ remains in Ireland ‘if public health restrictions are eased too quickly’.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

rusty cole wrote: »
    gas stuff altogether, now EXTRA.IE know what NPHET are saying to GOVT apparently before they say it!!

Is this an april fools joke belated or something?

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/health/medical/nphet-to-outline-length-of-further-restrictions-as-they-warn-oireachtas-of-possible-fourth-wave/ar-BB1fB2V7?li=BBr5HCU

Dr Glynn’s opening statement to the Oireachtas committee will say: ‘All of this means that we can be hopeful of a return to better and more normal times.

‘However, while significant progress is being made in controlling the disease and in rolling out vaccines, we still have a high level of infection, we are dealing with a much more transmissible virus than last year, and the absolute number of people fully protected through vaccination remains low.’

Dr Glynn will go on to say that these factors mean that a ‘considerable risk’ of a ‘further wave of infection’ remains in Ireland ‘if public health restrictions are eased too quickly’.

This is different.

This is in front of the Oireachtas Health Committee. It’s a cross-party committee and all guests are asked to submit an opening statement usually 24 hours before the meeting. This is then circulated to politicians and media organisations who ask for it by the committee clerks.

Again, getting in a rage and trying to whip people up into a frenzy when you clearly don’t know how protocols work.

People need to actually calm the f*ck down.

Essentially we’ve locked down for a year now while waiting on vaccines so people don’t get sick.

Now we won’t use the bloody things in case a tiny number get a blood clot.

All of this while we ask healthy people to get tested and see if they are sick...

Never thought I’d wish for a huge financial crisis but I fear money is the only thing that will bring us back to reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Faugheen wrote: »
    This is different.

This is in front of the Oireachtas Health Committee. It’s a cross-party committee and all guests are asked to submit an opening statement usually 24 hours before the meeting. This is then circulated to politicians and media organisations who ask for it by the committee clerks.

Again, getting in a rage and trying to whip people up into a frenzy when you clearly don’t know how protocols work.

People need to actually calm the f*ck down.

Think some people have been out of work for 13 months now (not me just to add), they are struggling to pay their bills, mortgage etc.

I think 13 months of high stress and remaining calm is a bit too much to ask.

mightyreds wrote: »
    Think some people have been out of work for 13 months now (not me just to add), they are struggling to pay their bills, mortgage etc.

I think 13 months of high stress and remaining calm is a bit too much to ask.

So it’s ok to whip people up into a frenzy by posted false and misleading information?

Sorry but there is no excuse whatsoever for that. I get people are frustrated but potentially being out of work doesn’t give them a pass for posting something which is completely and utterly false and stating it as a fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

This abundance of caution is positively reckless.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Essentially we’ve locked down for a year now while waiting on vaccines so people don’t get sick.

All of this while we ask healthy people to get tested and see if they are sick...

Never thought I’d wish for a huge financial crisis but I fear money is the only thing that will bring us back to reality.

That’s what I’ve been saying it will take financial ruin before government will have to open up society

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Agreed. Restricting a vaccine on the basis of a few in a million chance of a severe complication tells us all we need to know about the risk of Covid to those under 60. Once the over 60’s are vaccinated there is no reason for major restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,661 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Eod100 wrote: »

I think this is an important clarification that he has made, which makes any domestic vaccine benefit ideas all the more pointless given how short-lived they'd be.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Faugheen wrote: »
    So it’s ok to whip people up into a frenzy by posted false and misleading information?

Sorry but there is no excuse whatsoever for that. I get people are frustrated but potentially being out of work doesn’t give them a pass for posting something which is completely and utterly false and stating it as a fact.

Sounds like only you've been whipped into a frenzy mo chara.

aidoh wrote: »
    Sounds like only you've been whipped into a frenzy mo chara.

Again, why are you calling me out instead of the poster posting blatant misinformation and painting it as a fact.

That post was a ‘look at this absolute disgrace’ and painted it as something it wasn’t.

Is it ok to do that, in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,492 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Otherwise is it possible to still hit 80% first doses by end of June with the decision yesterday?

He says June but we all know he means July or August.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Is this is a good thing?

Surely if there are risks reported with a vaccine, it is good practice to pause while they are investigated fully.

It absolutely is a good thing. I've managed to get slot for Thursday - 2nd jab July 1st - so booking my flight to London now

So Glynn is basically saying that IF we can get one dose into 80% of the population, then he HOPES that we can have a “greater level of reopening “.

Anyone’s guess what he means by that but it sure doesn’t sound like normality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It absolutely is a good thing. I've managed to get slot for Thursday - 2nd jab July 1st - so booking my flight to London now

Do you mind me asking what group you are in ?

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking what group you are in ?

I'm 45. It's all age based (being done in London - am still registered with a practice there, and have an NHS number)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

So Glynn is basically saying that IF we can get one dose into 80% of the population, then he HOPES that we can have a “greater level of reopening “.

Anyone’s guess what he means by that but it sure doesn’t sound like normality.

All over 16+ could be vaccinated and Nphet wont want things to open up. Then the message will be 25% of our population are under 16. We cant have herd immunity. Lockdown of some form must continue.

This isnt going to end this year. At best we might get out door activities and inter county travel for 6-8 weeks in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I'm 45. It's all age based (being done in London - am still registered with a practice there, and have an NHS number)

Thank you . I have family in London so thats good to hear

All over 16+ could be vaccinated and Nphet wont want things to open up. Then the message will be 25% of our population are under 16. We cant have herd immunity. Lockdown of some form must continue.

This isnt going to end this year. At best we might get out door activities and inter county travel for 6-8 weeks in the summer.

And if that did happen, then people would still blame NPHET instead of the actual decision makers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Out of interest, would this clear the travel fine? I presume it being a medical appointment and all?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

Do you think we can track properly how many people are vaccinated in Ireland?

We can know how many vaccines were given in Ireland , but what will be the part of people that will get a vaccine somewhere else ?
    There are people who manage to get a shot early in Northern Ireland or England, people coming from Dubai or Israel who are already vaccinated (as seen in the MHQ court cases), and the 500k people living in Ireland that have another nationality and that may get the shot in their country later in the year.

Maybe with 3millions vaccine given in Ireland we will actually have 3.5millions people vaccinated. Or do you reckon that there is not a big difference in numbers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭Polar101

zebastein wrote: »

Maybe with 3millions vaccine given in Ireland we will actually have 3.5millions people vaccinated. Or do you reckon that there is not a big difference in numbers ?

I doubt hundreds of thousands of people will fly somewhere else for a vaccine. The only country where people would realistically head to is the UK, but even if a few thousand get their vaccine there, it's not going to make a huge difference. The EU is going to finish vaccinations at more or less the same pace, so vaccine tourism inside the EU won't be very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,492 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

zebastein wrote: »
    Do you think we can track properly how many people are vaccinated in Ireland?

I find it interesting that Glynn is talking about getting 80% vaccinated before thinking about maybe suggesting possibly letting people maybe live their lives.

Why is number of people vaccinated the key metric and not the number of people actually dying?

I guess we can look forward to another summer where deaths are zero but these cowardly ****s still won't let society breathe.

• Advertisement

“I hope we can shortly move away from the focus, spotlight and the front of the newspapers. None of us want that contrary to what public opinion says.”

Ronan Glynn clearly reads boards and Twitter so. How people can genuinely think they want all of this is absolutely mental.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement