Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Faugheen wrote: »
    Their job is to be ultra conservative.

That is why we have numerous advocacy groups and sub-committees set up to balance that out within government.

If you’re upset outdoor activities aren’t open, then blame the people who actually have the power to do it. They dissented from NPHET numerous times before and there is literally nothing other than negligence and incompetence stopping them now.

Really? Can you link me to something backing that up?
    We really have been very poorly served by setting up such a group if that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Vicxas wrote: »
    So J&J is pausing in the US. Does anyone know what the criteria is to restart?

CDC is doing a review starting today. They’ll clear it (I’d say give it a week or two ) or have the fda look at the EUA and wait for more data to come in from phase III trials. They may very well say to stop it in age groups etc. while awaiting for particular data with the subgroups before resuming (my best guess as to what will happen).

Basically it could be back tomorrow or pulled or more like somewhere in between. So a bunch of what ifs. My experience with something like this would have been a year off the market, but I sense this won’t happen here.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,494 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Bloody vaccines

Now with J&J suspended were in a massive battle to make the targets thus longer restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Bloody vaccines

Now with J&J suspended were in a massive battle to make the targets thus longer restrictions

J&J doesn't make any difference for the next few weeks. The numbers are very small.

Wouldn't expect the review in the states to take too long

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Holy moly!

I know. An abundance of hypochondriacs still needlessly going for testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Last week for comparison

https://twitter.com/COVID19DataIE/status/1379439760570191874

Very similar totals comparing bit of extra testing with less swabs but great to see the positivity rate down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Walk In centres seem to have really helped

wadacrack wrote: »
    Walk In centres seem to have really helped

Yeah absolutely they look to have had a big impact.

• Advertisement

This whole ‘NPHET don’t want the attention’ is nonsense.

There’s a reason why we constantly hear them on the radio etc. Ray Walley (works with NPHET) pillorying old people for going to funerals. Mary Favier amongst others constantly on about drinking. Philip Nolan having Twitter arguments with opinions he doesn’t like.

If they really didn’t want to use the media they wouldn’t. Whether you agree with their decisions or not, to say they don’t want to be in the papers, on tv etc? Rubbish!

(I will say in recent weeks they have been better and it seems as if Glynn is the main and only voice).

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

robbiezero wrote: »
    Surely NPHET shouldn't have recommended allowing household visits to occur and household gatherings to occur from 2 December if the R-number was going to be so severely impacted (Government actually blocked this until the 18th of December).

Conveniently left out that they made this recommendation while also recommending that hospitality stays closed during the 8 week period as seen in the letter to Donnelly here (page 10 for recommendations):

https://assets.gov.ie/99265/1c5ba10e-465d-4494-b7fb-f4c50bbb96fc.pdf

So the government instead of blocking the household visits, they reopened hospitality as well despite warnings of its link to superspreader events both in Ireland and internationally.

NPHET recommended what it did while also saying that communications should discourage from the households meeting up on a regular basis and instead celebrating Christmas with your immediate household instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Positive swabs down 20% week-on-week and holding pretty strongly there.

This is pretty good considering we were expecting a *something* from the Easter weekend. So we might see a plateau of sorts this week, maybe even a bump up. So far so good though.

I know. An abundance of hypochondriacs still needlessly going for testing.

Can this horseh*t please stop

Can this horseh*t please stop

You would hope so. I know someone who has being tested 9 times for no good reason

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

“A ship is safe in harbour,but that’s not what ships are made for”.

There’s an inspirational quote for ye for the day that’s in it.
    Sun is cracking the rocks here in the west thank god.
    Get on with it folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

The end of the month is time to start opening up to Level 2 restrictions and encourage outdoor meetups.

With the way vacinnes are going who knows what way we will go.

Last summer was an absolute farce from the government where we should have been level two for the entirety of it and not having mandatory quarantine in place for Xmas was cowardly and pathetic.

You would hope so. I know someone who has being tested 9 times for no good reason

What is it to you?

And if they are negative every time they are driving the positive rate lower and improving the epidemiological picture

• Registered Users Posts: 38,494 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The end of the month is time to start opening up to Level 2 restrictions and encourage outdoor meetups.

Last summer was an absolute farce from the government where we should have been level two for the entirety of it and not having mandatory quarantine in place for Xmas was cowardly and pathetic.

Sadly that won't happen, NPHET won't want that and the government don't have the balls to disobey the health advice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭brickster69

With the news of delays on J&J on top of the issues around Astra Zenaca we need to come up with a plan B.

If plan A with AZ was don't give to older people but give to the younger ones, then it is give to the older but not the young. I dread to think what plan B will be like.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

What is it to you?

And if they are negative every time they are driving the positive rate lower and improving the epidemiological picture

They talk about ‘curtain twitchers’ when they make statements like that judging other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Altough I will take what I am given and grateful to get AZ . I will be slightly miffed that it takes 12 weeks to be fully vaccinated . It means if a vaccine passport is rolled out then the 60-70 will wait much longer for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭crossman47

seamus wrote: »
    Except for the fact their remit is to issue public health advice in the context of a public health emergency. They cannot advise things which are not in the best interests of public health.

It is the government's job to balance this against the social and economic impact of such advice.

It is not NPHET's job to consider anything outside of their remit. There is nothing stopping the Government from reducing the restrictions, but there are a lot of things stopping NPHET from recommending a reduction.

Exactly. But many people simultaneously criticise NPHET and want to give them a wider role. Go figure!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Essentially we’ve locked down for a year now while waiting on vaccines so people don’t get sick.

Now we won’t use the bloody things in case a tiny number get a blood clot.

All of this while we ask healthy people to get tested and see if they are sick...

Never thought I’d wish for a huge financial crisis but I fear money is the only thing that will bring us back to reality.

And going by some of the posts over on the “anyone have a Covid-19 vaccine yet?” thread, people who got the vaccine are talking about how they’re feeling after it and listing their side effects... by the sounds of a majority of the posts, more people are feeling more ill from getting the vaccine they would getting Covid! It’s all a bit mental really.

(Not anti-vaccine btw, I’d take the AZ myself right now)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

I am expecting level 3 in June at most.....Putting all your eggs in the vaccines basket has screwed us.....I am not disagreeing with you! I just don't think there is any hope of major easing in May :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Vaccines for our population are still the way to go. Hopefully nothing gets in the way of the roll out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

This whole ‘NPHET don’t want the attention’ is nonsense.

There’s a reason why we constantly hear them on the radio etc. Ray Walley (works with NPHET) pillorying old people for going to funerals. Mary Favier amongst others constantly on about drinking. Philip Nolan having Twitter arguments with opinions he doesn’t like.

If they really didn’t want to use the media they wouldn’t. Whether you agree with their decisions or not, to say they don’t want to be in the papers, on tv etc? Rubbish!

(I will say in recent weeks they have been better and it seems as if Glynn is the main and only voice).

- Hey NPHET, can you give an oul radio or tv interview, maybe regular conferences or engage with the public a bit more?

- Nope, we shouldn't.

- [the perpetually outraged] It's a bleedin disgrace, who do dese peeple think they are working in secret not answering to everyone! They should be made by the gubberment answer anything asked of them! Dey wurk in the bleedin public service!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Altough I will take what I am given and grateful to get AZ . I will be slightly miffed that it takes 12 weeks to be fully vaccinated . It means if a vaccine passport is rolled out then the 60-70 will wait much longer for it

Could you have a situation where person of 60 years and a month would get an AZ vaccine and wait 12 weeks for dose 2, while a 59 year old person would get their first Biontech or Moderna vaccine 3 weeks later, assuming a rollout where more people get done by June, and then the full cover after 4 weeks, while their older sibling has to wait another 5 weeks? So the older person gets the worst cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭NIAC Fanboy

But Dr Glynn said pubs present “high risk” environments due to “poor ventilation” in some establishments as well as a mixing of numerous households.

He said “you can’t get away from the fact that after a few drinks you let your guard down.”

He said that consideration will be given to the hospitality industry when the government looks at the easing of strict lockdown rules for the coming months.

But said “we saw the effects” over the Christmas period and said that a small number of “super spreader” events can have a major impact on the trajectory of the disease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭NIAC Fanboy

But the pubs were closed at Christmas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement