Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭NIAC Fanboy

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    How is stating reported deaths as they are registered clutching at straws?

They shouldn't be stating deaths in this manner at all. I've often seen it reported at 5.30pm "XX further deaths" and then by 9.40pm we have a politician on Prime Time saying "firstly my condolences to the XX families who are grieving a loved one due to covid tonight"

Maybe give the new overall death number combined with an updated graph showing number of deaths on the date they happened so people can see what the overall trend looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

That is piss poor, the roll out seems to be going backwards.. again and now the Astra issues will be a scapegoat for the governments shambolic efforts

This plus they will only hire full time vaccinators who mostly work Monday to Friday. They turned down the services of applicants who offered to work part time and at weekends (because there was no box on the form for that, so like the junior cert results question for surgeons rather than pivot or use even the tiniest modicum of lateral thinking they just reject the applicants out of hand)

Result is they have no weekend staff 4 months in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,926 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

They shouldn't be stating deaths in this manner at all. I've often seen it reported at 5.30pm "XX further deaths" and then by 9.40pm we have a politician on Prime Time saying "firstly my condolences to the XX families who are grieving a loved one due to covid tonight"

Maybe give the new overall death number combined with an updated graph showing number of deaths on the date they happened so people can see what the overall trend looks like.

We've been through this so many times....

Your suggestion still would mean nothing, as there could be deaths today that won't be registered for three months. It's not an ideal scenario but it's what we have to work with and we know how it works - plus the daily figures always make it clear when the deaths occurred if you'll read or watch beyond the headlines.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

is_that_so wrote: »
    Dublin has a bigger population than the rest of Leinster combined. It also has about 1,500 people per sq km.
    Indeed it does. Raw population isn't relevant though, it has the second worst incidence rate which is more of a level playing field to compare to other counties.

It is dense in the city centre. Cork is of comparable density in its inner city and the whole city and county recorded 5 cases today.

There is issues in Dublin which haven't been resolved. Dublin isn't unique in many ways. It's not as bizarre as the continued high incidence in Offaly though.

We've been through this so many times....

Your suggestion still would mean nothing, as there could be deaths today that won't be registered for three months. It's not an ideal scenario but it's what we have to work with and we know how it works - plus the daily figures always make it clear when the deaths occurred if you'll read or watch beyond the headlines.

Its misleading of politicians to use it almost as a justification for defending restriction X, Y and Z a few hours later on prime time though.

They dropped reporting the median age of deaths fairly lively when it suited them to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭pauldry

So if I die today it could take 4 months or even more to decide if to register my death as been of Covid for example.

So in the daily numbers in August for example (hopefully) 50 new cases or less and 15 deaths 11 deaths werein April 2 in May 1 in June and one in March 2020!

pauldry wrote: »
    So if I die today it could take 4 months or even more to decide if to register my death as been of Covid for example.

So in the daily numbers in August for example (hopefully) 50 new cases or less and 15 deaths 11 deaths werein April 2 in May 1 in June and one in March 2020!

Yes, and in a lot of cases people were very sick anyway, so being a covid death made minimal difference to them or their families anyway.

Yes, and in a lot of cases people were very sick anyway, so being a covid death made minimal difference to them or their families anyway.

Jesus wept! The old "they would have died anyway' line.

I thought we had moved on from this cr@p.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

Look at the average length of stay in a nursing home, then look at the amounts of covid deaths in nursing homes. Its correct that most have them were dying already and hadn't long to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

This week compared to last week.

688 fewer cases
    682 fewer positive swabs
    Positivity in testing 2.7% (last Tuesday 3.1%)
    56 fewer in hospital
    12 fewer in ICU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This is done ...on a biweekly basis ..by NPHET .

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Grand, just tell every family to get on with it and report the death immediately for a couple of lads on boards there.

As for your second sentence - WATCH THE BRIEFINGS

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    This plus they will only hire full time vaccinators who mostly work Monday to Friday. They turned down the services of applicants who offered to work part time and at weekends (because there was no box on the form for that, so like the junior cert results question for surgeons rather than pivot or use even the tiniest modicum of lateral thinking they just reject the applicants out of hand)

Result is they have no weekend staff 4 months in.

While this is true it is pointless atm to talk about staff working through at weekends if the supply isn't there, especially this week .

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭eastie17

mloc123 wrote: »
    Is this is a good thing?

Surely if there are risks reported with a vaccine, it is good practice to pause while they are investigated fully.

The UK have fairly consistently taken punts on this all along, between changing recommended dosing periods to focusing on 1st doses only so they dont really seem to be that bothered about what the data might say, just roll the dice and tell the world they got Brexit done

marno21 wrote: »
    Indeed it does. Raw population isn't relevant though, it has the second worst incidence rate which is more of a level playing field to compare to other counties.

It is dense in the city centre. Cork is of comparable density in its inner city and the whole city and county recorded 5 cases today.

There is issues in Dublin which haven't been resolved. Dublin isn't unique in many ways. It's not as bizarre as the continued high incidence in Offaly though.

That is why the asymptomatic walk in centres for testing have been set up , based in areas of high infection rates .

• Registered Users Posts: 30,763 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Study finds no increase in suicides in Western countries during first covid lockdowns

https://www.thejournal.ie/suicide-deaths-internationally-no-increase-study-5408205-Apr2021/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,492 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its April 2021 and we are still in lockdown, pretty clear that nobody is moving on from anything. Crap indeed.

I thought we had moved on from this crap.

What "crap" have we moved on from?

The fact is that in a lot of cases the people were gravely ill anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭Polar101

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0413/1209729-coronavirus-quarantine-ireland/

Bookings for mandatory hotel quarantine paused, because people are just turning up instead of booking in advance.

Not sure how pausing the booking will fix any issues, but then again I'm not the minister for Health, so I don't need to know.

Resuming again when capacity is added.

I wouldn't say MHQ has been a brilliant success so far.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Grand, just tell every family to get on with it and report the death immediately for a couple of lads on boards there.

Why are you suggesting grieving families should be forced to report the death immediately?

That is an awful attitude to have.

How the overall covid deaths are reported to the public could be conveyed in a different manner though.
    WATCH THE BRIEFINGS

TBH I don't know when or where they are on. I would expect the state agencies to be able to convey the main facts in a logical manner, rather than politicians to tee themselves up on primetime with "firstly my condolances to XX families who are grieving tonight"

Using the daily reported number of deaths to support their position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

As of today, France has banned all travel to and from Brazil. This is due to the Brazilian variant that has caused an alarming amount of younger people ending up in hospital and dying from Covid.

Until they get their act together, Ireland should ban all arrivals from that country.
    I see that Bolsonaro is doing everything in his power to stop an inquiry into his government's handling of the pandemic. There is no way that he will remain in power when details get out on his mishandling of the crisis. Apparently he refused millions of batches of the Pfizer vaccine that was offered to Brazil from the manufacturer.

Polar101 wrote: »

Bookings for mandatory hotel quarantine paused, because people are just turning up instead of booking in advance.

Not sure how pausing the booking will fix any issues, but then again I'm not the minister for Health, so I don't need to know.

Resuming again when capacity is added.

I wouldn't say MHQ has been a brilliant success so far.

Its an abject fail and was always going to be. Politically their hand was forced and it was done to save face. There are plenty of ways to avoid it including slipping in via the UK.

Why are you suggesting grieving families should be forced to report the death immediately?

That is an awful attitude to have.

How the overall covid deaths are reported to the public could be conveyed in a different manner though.

The fact you don't see the sarcasm shows you don't get it.

TBH I don't know when or where they are on.

Every Monday and Thursday. 5:30-ish and you can watch it on RTE News channel or on their social media pages.

Now you know, so you can't claim to be ignorant anymore.

Kivaro wrote: »
    As of today, France has banned all travel to and from Brazil. This is due to the Brazilian variant that has caused an alarming amount of younger people ending up in hospital and dying from Covid.

Until they get their act together, Ireland should ban all arrivals from that country.
    I see that Bolsonaro is doing everything in his power to stop an inquiry into his government's handling of the pandemic. There is no way that he will remain in power when details get out on his mishandling of the crisis. Apparently he refused millions of batches of the Pfizer vaccine that was offered to Brazil from the manufacturer.

Is this the reason why Brazil, and Argentina, didn't sign a deal with Pfizer: https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/news/company-news/pfizer-latin-american-vaccine/

"Pfizer reportedly asked governments in Argentina and Brazil to put up sovereign assets, including military bases and federal bank reserves, as collateral for potential future legal costs."

T

Every Monday and Thursday. 5:30-ish and you can watch it on RTE News channel or on their social media pages.

Now you know, so you can't claim to be ignorant anymore.

I won't be watching them thanks, I know the headline deaths number is loose.

It won't stop politicians using backdated deaths to justify restrictions a few hours later though.

It won't stop politicians using backdated deaths to justify restrictions a few hours later though.

So let me get this right, you call for this:

And I point out to you where you can get this information on a weekly basis and actually hear it for yourself, and you come up with a pathetic excuse to not hear that information?

Why would you call for something and then minutes later say you're not actually interested in it?

You're all over the place. Do you want the facts or don't you?

And maybe consider those who have lost friends and family, who weren't previously ill or in nursing homes, to Covid before you write them off with the insult that they were going to die anyway.

#IGNORE

So let me get this right, you call for this:

And I point out to you where you can get this information on a weekly basis and actually hear it for yourself, and you come up with a pathetic excuse to not hear that information?

Why would you call for something and then minutes later say you're not actually interested in it?

I am referring to the usual news headline along the lines of "today we have 358 cases and 38 deaths" etc.

That is as much as the vast majority of people, including me, will hear.

The state agencies could surely come up with a better way of giving an overall snapshot don't you think?

Countless times I have heard people gasp and say "62 death today" 46 dead today" etc.

And as you keep ignoring, politicians will wheel the number out on prime time a few hours later and claim all the families are grieving tonight, when this is simply not the cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

7 day average in cases 401
    Tests carried out 108,637
    Reported death last 7 days 80
    In hospital 205
    In ICU 48

April 13th 2020.

7 day average in cases 756
    Tests carried out 48,162
    Reported Deaths in 7 days 191
    In hospital 879
    In ICU 144

• Advertisement

Ah here, they don't and it's pretty obvious that you don't know what you are talking about as regards deaths or otherwise or just trying to wind people up .
    Ignored .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement