Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭celt262

What made you go for a test??
    I presume you have no symptoms or weren't feeling unwell!

Sounds like he wanted something to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Or.....

he had 20 doses left after working through the HSE prioritisation (doses that were only left because of bad management of the vaccination process by the HSE) and thought “what key workers can I get hold of, right now?”

And what key workers’ numbers is he going to have in his phone other than his kids’ teachers?

Hardly the same as golfgate

No because there is meant to be a standby list from specific cohorts. And they couldn't find anyone within a hospital already on site who hadn't the vaccine in any of the cohorts ahead of group 11? people surely aren't that gullible are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Or.....

he had 20 doses left after working through the HSE prioritisation (doses that were only left because of bad management of the vaccination process by the HSE) and thought “what key workers can I get hold of, right now?”

And what key workers’ numbers is he going to have in his phone other than his kids’ teachers?

Unless he worked though the entire back up list of individuals in the local area with health conditions that they are supposed to have drafted for this VERY EVENTUALITY, then he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

And given the fact that there were unvaccinated cancer patients IN HIS OWN HOSPITAL you can guarantee he did not work his way through the back up list.

This is actually worse than Golfgate. Way worse. The HSE can't sack him, but I hope the newspapers absolutely sit on this until he resigns. He's a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Or.....

Yes and we live in imagination land...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

Eod100 wrote: »
    He could publicly call for the CEOs resignation. Hard to see how how he could last in his position after that.

Its all about optics and perception, collectively they should have realised that this was going to look like a "stroke"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Yes but on trajectory of Brazil's current death rate it will far surpass all of those countries

100000 cases yesterday in Brazil and 3000 dead also.

They don’t even have enough medication to put people to sleep for intubation.

And there digging vertical trenches to bury people.

100000 cases yesterday in Brazil and 3000 dead also.

They don’t even have enough medication to put people to sleep for intubation.

And there digging vertical trenches to bury people.

That is very bad for them but I suppose when loads of people live in slums with multiple family houses this is the risk.

it is clear the 20 teachers should not have got the vaccines, but I'd say the government are delighted.

While people are frothing at the mouth of 20 teachers getting vaccines out of order they aren't;

1. Asking why there were 170k vaccines available but not yet provided as of Monday morning.
    2. Asking why only 6 second doses were handed out on Sunday, when 170k doses were available.
    3. Asking why vaccinaotrs were only being offered contracts last week - why has this not been in place since early in the year?
    4. Why Mass Vaccination centres were announced, with a number of the centres having no clue they were selected, or even suitable?
    5. Why Teachers are not being vaccinated now in the first place - considering they decided to reopen schools.

on my 5th point there - should the outrage be that 20 teachers got vaccinated or that ONLY 20 teachers got vaccinated. And we are getting outraged at teachers being vaccinated. Teachers. Not CEOs. Not family of Ministers. Teachers.

Can't help but feel people talking with such outrage on this are getting outraged at the low priority problems and not focusing on the much bigger issues with the rollout - which if were not an issue would mean 20 teachers getting vaccinated would be small fecking potatoes.

Don't worry, just because people are focussed on this particular incident, does not mean they have forgotten about the backlog or the lack of vaccinators or whether we can upscale when the promised vaccine delivery comes through.

But just because the government are f*cking up elsewhere does not mean that we can just let behaviour like this slide. There's a much deeper problem here - an idea that if you are in the right group, in the right suburb, with the right contacts, you can skip the queue and the rest of society bedamned.

I'm still keeping a close eye on that 170k vaccine build up, but I'm also going be calling for this guys resignation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

That is very bad for them but I suppose when loads of people live in slums with multiple family houses this is the risk.

It is but there two variants P1 and P2 there more infectious and effect younger people and when you consider Ireland and our “strategy” it’s hard to expect it’ll be kept out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,954 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

JDD wrote: »
    Don't worry, just because people are focussed on this particular incident, does not mean they have forgotten about the backlog or the lack of vaccinators or whether we can upscale when the promised vaccine delivery comes through.

But just because the government are f*cking up elsewhere does not mean that we can just let behaviour like this slide. There's a much deeper problem here - an idea that if you are in the right group, in the right suburb, with the right contacts, you can skip the queue and the rest of society bedamned.

I'm still keeping a close eye on that 170k vaccine build up, but I'm also going be calling for this guys resignation.

Which is getting more public outcry and is more of a story?

1. These 20 teachers.
    2. The 170k vaccines.
    3. The lack of planning/execution of vaccinator hiring.

Maybe you are not forgetting, but I think it is clear to see where the public and media pressure is being focused.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

it is clear the 20 teachers should not have got the vaccines, but I'd say the government are delighted.

While people are frothing at the mouth of 20 teachers getting vaccines out of order they aren't;

1. Asking why there were 170k vaccines available but not yet provided as of Monday morning.
    2. Asking why only 6 second doses were handed out on Sunday, when 170k doses were available.
    3. Asking why vaccinaotrs were only being offered contracts last week - why has this not been in place since early in the year?
    4. Why Mass Vaccination centres were announced, with a number of the centres having no clue they were selected, or even suitable?
    5. Why Teachers are not being vaccinated now in the first place - considering they decided to reopen schools.

on my 5th point there - should the outrage be that 20 teachers got vaccinated or that ONLY 20 teachers got vaccinated. And we are getting outraged at teachers being vaccinated. Teachers. Not CEOs. Not family of Ministers. Teachers.

Can't help but feel people talking with such outrage on this are getting outraged at the low priority problems and not focusing on the much bigger issues with the rollout - which if were not an issue would mean 20 teachers getting vaccinated would be small fecking potatoes.

Your overthinking it that's a separate issue involving the EU.

20 teachers taking the vaccine must be very infuriating for vulnerable people, over 70's etc.

If I was offered a vaccine now I would refuse tbh. It wouldn't fit right with me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

The school jumping the queue is absolutely appalling carry on but is anyone really surprised. This is Ireland. One rule for the elite while the rest of us just get on with it.

I'm actually more annoyed at something else today. Both my parents are 70 and neither have heard a thing about getting vaccinated. My aunt is 75 and has cancer and she has heard nothing. But a man I know who is not yet 60 has gotten his vaccine as he has an underlying condition. I don't begrudge him even though both my parents have ones also but my question is how are some age groups being left and others flying ahead?

wadacrack wrote: »
    Your overthinking it that's a separate issue involving the EU.

20 teachers taking the vaccine must be very infuriating for vulnerable people, over 70's etc.

If I was offered a vaccine now I would refuse tbh. It wouldn't fit right with me

IMO schools are a covid problem and while children may not suffer terrible effects from Covid, teachers aren't children and I think it is a disgrace that teachers are being forced back into the classroom without being vaccinated.

Schools have been reopened because they are considered essential for society, so why the F are teachers not considered essential workers and be right up near the top of the vaccine list.

I get there is anger over this, and I get why. It is terrible from The Beacon/The CEO of The Beacon. But the anger should be at The Beacon, not the government for this, and a greater proportion of anger should be directed at the HSE and Government for the Rollout in general than this instance of 20 teachers getting a vaccine.

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    The school jumping the queue is absolutely appalling carry on but is anyone really surprised. This is Ireland. One rule for the elite while the rest of us just get on with it.

I'm actually more annoyed at something else today. Both my parents are 70 and neither have heard a thing about getting vaccinated. My aunt is 75 and has cancer and she has heard nothing. But a man I know who is not yet 60 has gotten his vaccine as he has an underlying condition. I don't begrudge him even though both my parents have ones also but my question is how are some age groups being left and others flying ahead?

I do think that's odd. Both my parents are 77 and my mum got her first jab in the Helix last Saturday. My Dad got his first jab at his doctor's clinic today. I know a lot of colleagues whose parents are older - both in and outside Dublin - who haven't even got an appointment yet. You'd wonder how the process actually works. My mum has high blood pressure and my Dad has suffered from pnuemonia and shingles over the past two years, so maybe healthier 70-odd year olds are being deprioritised? I dunno, a bit of clarity wouldn't go astray.

"The Elite."

You think the teachers of Gerrards are Elite? They are fecking teachers. Yes, at a private school, but they are no more elite than Nurses at a private hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

My Mum is 80+ and my sister has Special Needs. Both have underlying conditions. No sign of even an appointment for a Vaccine for either.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭purplefields

"The Elite."

You think the teachers of Gerrards are Elite? They are fecking teachers. Yes, at a private school, but they are no more elite than Nurses at a private hospital.

I believe the issue may be that the Children certainly are from more wealthy families. I guess the rich folks didn't want teachers catching Covid and passing it to their offspring.

It's also not a waste of vaccines, but rather a corrupt misappropriation.

I'm sorry to hear so many stories about others being left high and dry. The rollout is a total disaster. My mam would suffer with asthma and my dad has had a heart bypass in recent years. My aunt who has cancer is in remission at the moment but at 75 you would think she'd be on a priority list. It's a total joke what's going on.

I'm sorry to hear so many stories about others being left high and dry. The rollout is a total disaster. My mam would suffer with asthma and my dad has had a heart bypass in recent years. My aunt who has cancer is in remission at the moment but at 75 you would think she'd be on a priority list. It's a total joke what's going on.

And this should be the focus of public outcry and rage, this should be what the government are being pressed for answers on.

I'd say they are only delighted to be giving out to The Beacon about 20 vaccines - as if those 20 vaccines would have sorted out all the instances of people such as your parents.

• Advertisement

"The Elite."

I don't think the teachers are elite. I think they have access to connections that helped them skip the queue. And I also think it's more down to the fact that the people who pay for their kids to attend that school don't want their kids exposed to the virus. They think they are above the rest of us.

And this should be the focus of public outcry and rage, this should be what the government are being pressed for answers on.

I'd say they are only delighted to be giving out to The Beacon about 20 vaccines - as if those 20 vaccines would have sorted out all the instances of people such as your parents.

This is so true. And this why I am going to contact some of my local representatives this evening. Some of them are quite vocal on social media.

I don't think the teachers are elite. I think they have access to connections that helped them skip the queue. And I also think it's more down to the fact that the people who pay for their kids to attend that school don't want their kids exposed to the virus. They think they are above the rest of us.

Then they simply wouldn't send their kids to school. 20 teachers being vaccinated will have a minimal impact on whether their kids will be exposed. they will be interacting with multiple times more kids than teachers.

It is but there two variants P1 and P2 there more infectious and effect younger people and when you consider Ireland and our “strategy” it’s hard to expect it’ll be kept out.

Well fortunately the "highly transmissible" UK variant has been rampant here for months, so we won't need to worry about this one because we will all have got the UK variant.

Lucky us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Schools have been reopened because they are considered essential for society, so why the F are teachers not considered essential workers and be right up near the top of the vaccine list.

The priority for vaccination is HCW because they have to run the health service and are exposed to the virus at a higher rate than the general population.

Then it's the elderly and medically vulnerable. They are at the greatest risk for hospitalisation and death.

Teachers are not a medically vulnerable group. They are at no more of a risk to transmission than others or those that work in other essential services.

Teachers shouldn't skip the queue above people who are at a far greater risk of becoming critically ill or dying.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

There's a seperate thread for discussion of the private school teachers, let's not duplicate that discussion here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058172239

They have all taken every opportunity for deflection during this whole thing. This Beacon issue is just the latest, and I'd say that they are all delighted in government that it has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Bump in deaths along with big drop in ICU sure there’s a bit of correlation

• Registered Users Posts: 24,185 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

20 deaths, 584 cases.

RIP.

Damn stubborn British variant. Lets hope Easter doesn't **** us altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

584 cases 20 deaths

Of the deaths reported today 11 happened in March, 3 in February and 6 in January.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement