Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

That's quite a bit of research for a throwaway line in a post from a poster that's only been here a month.

It's a guestimate, I can assure you I'm not counting!

You're saying I'm a rereg but haven't the balls to say it outright because maybe if you're not careful you could get a ban! Oh Jesus, Mary and Joseph not a ban on boards.. you're reputation would be in ruins.

Perhaps it hasn't occurred to you that said poster here has been following boards since the Feb 2009 snowfall, but only registered in lockdown a few weeks ago. I feel like I know a lot of you.

And yes genuinely why not close the whole thing for a week. Some are absolutely addicted. Would be beneficial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Lumen wrote: »
    I wrote immunity and I meant immunity :pac:

There was a study done of COVID reinfections. The median period between infections was about six months.

Stats is hard so it's not necessarily the case that median reinfection period = average immunity period but it'll do for boards.

I would like to see that study. I have read about maybe 10 reinfections, I suppose there are more but in the grand scheme of things the level of reinfections at this stage is infinitesimal as far as I understand. So either these people who have been infected in the first instance are not being exposed to the virus or they are and they are immune. I would say the latter.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

453 swabs at 2.68%. Nice and stable.

Difficult to compare week to week due to Easter. But it’s still a good result.

marno21 wrote: »

I don't think Easter had any negative effect on numbers or we'd see by now. It will probably take a few days to see if the school full reopening will?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭giveitholly

No Wednesday bump on swabs this week which is great,hopefully the same tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Still need to get to the end of the week to know if there's been any Easter "bump". Looking good though. If there has been one, it's been absorbed and counteracted by the overall downward trend.

Won't know about any school impact until the middle of next week at the earliest. Probably see a small bump in referrals next Monday as more kids mixing means more sniffles and coughs.

The last five days' swab numbers got revised, resulting in positivity rates for all of those days dropping very marginally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Stat I found interesting.

If the over 85 category is ignored, there has been a 1.5 : 1 ratio of men dying of covid in Ireland compared to women. The over 85 category skews this back to a lot closer to 1 : 1, I assume this is due to there being a lot more over 85 women than men in the country.

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/epidemiologyofcovid-19inirelandweeklyreports/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Like you say difficult to compare

Slightly more swabs than last week but more testing

Nice and stable as you say

https://twitter.com/COVID19DataIE/status/1379799381545775110

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tullogher WRLD

Not intentionally trying to be pedantic just saw a few posters discussing “virus” versus “disease”. It would not be correct to say that a virus is the same as a disease. Viruses are not diseases in the sense that every virus will automatically mean disease in a person, plant or animal. There are millions of viruses, fewer than 7000 have been described in detail and (as of 2012) 219 species are known to be able to infect humans. Viruses by definition are infectious agents that replicate only inside the living cells of an organism. Viruses that have been discovered and characterised have been identified on the basis of the disease they cause, i.e. SARS-CoV-2 causing Covid-19. To summarise what I’m trying to say, it’s wrong to say that a virus is a disease, more so viruses can cause diseases. Obviously viruses can cause severe harm. Not trying to be pedantic just trying to help.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3427559/
    “Virus Taxonomy: 2019 Release” - talk.ictvonline.org
    cancer.gov/publications/dictionaries/cancer-terms/def/virus

Wash your hands, keep your distance, wear a mask and stay safe out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I enjoy laughing at your posts too Bertie. Regardless of the thread you like to get in first. Someday you'll say something funny, by accident :)

Mod: External Association - based on this and other posts, I'm finding it hard to believe you're not trying to get a rise out of people, i.e. low level trolling. Rein it in or I'll remove your access here.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,498 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Eod100 wrote: »

I'd that good or bad news regarding further reopenings ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I'd that good or bad news regarding further reopenings ?

Would be good news

Not intentionally trying to be pedantic just saw a few posters discussing “virus” versus “disease”. It would not be correct to say that a virus is the same as a disease. Viruses are not diseases in the sense that every virus will automatically mean disease in a person, plant or animal. There are millions of viruses, fewer than 7000 have been described in detail and (as of 2012) 219 species are known to be able to infect humans. Viruses by definition are infectious agents that replicate only inside the living cells of an organism. Viruses that have been discovered and characterised have been identified on the basis of the disease they cause, i.e. SARS-CoV-2 causing Covid-19. To summarise what I’m trying to say, it’s wrong to say that a virus is a disease, more so viruses can cause diseases. Obviously viruses can cause severe harm. Not trying to be pedantic just trying to help.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3427559/
    “Virus Taxonomy: 2019 Release” - talk.ictvonline.org
    cancer.gov/publications/dictionaries/cancer-terms/def/virus

Wash your hands, keep your distance, wear a mask and stay safe out there.

Pass this onto Philip Nolan, Ronan Glynn, and the other vectors of misinformation and peddlers of fear.

Anyone going around the place talking about "The Disease", when in fact they should be referring to viral spread, should stop with this fashionable nonsense and stick to the facts.

When Ronan Glynn takes to the airwaves and talks about how, "...the disease doesn't care about the number of social contacts", it is a flat out falsehood and totally misleading. Just as his misleading statements about how B117 variant is "effectively a new virus".

Words matter - and how they are used creates an impression.

Ronan Glynn and Philip Nolan's borderline obsession with referring to "the disease", know full well this is inaccurate use of language, and it is merely a fashionable saying that has caught on among a small but highly irritating number of the population.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Pass this onto Philip Nolan, Ronan Glynn, and the other vectors of misinformation and peddlers of fear.

Anyone going around the place talking about "The Disease", when in fact they should be referring to viral spread, should stop with this fashionable nonsense and stick to the facts.

When Ronan Glynn takes to the airwaves and talks about how, "...the disease doesn't care about the number of social contacts", it is a flat out falsehood and totally misleading. Just as his misleading statements about how B117 variant is "effectively a new virus".

Words matter - and how they are used creates an impression.

Ronan Glynn and Philip Nolan's borderline obsession with referring to "the disease", know full well this is inaccurate use of language, and it is merely a fashionable saying that has caught on among a small but highly irritating number of the population.

The name of the disease is COVID-19.

The name of the virus is SARS-CoV-2.

So when we are talking about COVID-19, we are talking about a disease.

This is all facts. Are you trying to say that COVID-19 is not a disease?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Just heard on the radio there (Think it was Stephen Donnelly) stating that the plan is "to vaccinate 80% of the country by the summer"

I thought the target was 80% of adults by the end of June?

Was it changed to be 80% of the country by the start of June?
    Don't see it mentioned on rte.ie. Maybe he just misspoke.

Faugheen wrote: »
    The name of the disease is COVID-19.

The name of the virus is SARS-CoV-2.

So when we are talking about COVID-19, we are talking about a disease.

This is all facts. Are you trying to say that COVID-19 is not a disease?

One of the major features of COVID-19, as with influenza and many other ailments, is ARDS - acute respiratory distress syndrome, and the concomitant effects this has on organ failure. This isn't new - it has been around for as long as medicine itself.

ARDS does not spread. To say, therefore, that "...the disease (COVID-19) is spreading", is false - because ARDS does not spread. It is the effect that a small number of patients happen to experience when exposed to viral replication.

The virus spreads.

Upwards of 20 percent of people infected exhibit no symptoms whatsoever. Are you now saying they have a "disease"?

Of course not.

Enough with this arrant nonsense.

One of the major features of COVID-19, as with influenza and many other ailments, is ARDS - acute respiratory distress syndrome, and the concomitant effects this has on organ failure. This isn't new - it has been around for as long as medicine itself.

ARDS does not spread. To say, therefore, that "...the disease (COVID-19) is spreading", is false - because ARDS does not spread. It is the effect that a small number of patients happen to experience when exposed to viral replication.

The virus spreads.

Upwards of 20 percent of people infected exhibit no symptoms whatsoever. Are you now saying they have a "disease"?

Of course not.

So one of the elements not spreading to everyone doesn't make COVID-19 a disease then?

What's your qualification to make that statement?

Again, when someone is presented with the facts they dismiss it as 'nonsense'. Why is that? It doesn't suit their narrative?

COVID-19 is the name of the disease. That is a fact. Disease can be spread. The disease COVID-19 can be spread. And when you consider especially in late December/early January they stopped asymptomatic close contact testing, then it's fair to say we were dealing with people who had been spreading disease.

I'm sorry that the word 'disease' scares you so much but they are the facts of the matter here.

Tokyo wrote: »
    Mod: External Association - based on this and other posts, I'm finding it hard to believe you're not trying to get a rise out of people, i.e. low level trolling. Rein it in or I'll remove your access here.

I'm very genuine Tokyo. Just that poster had a cut, and I had a wee cut back.

I'm know you couldn't stop discussion on such a big topic. But I also am genuine in saying that a break from it all would do people good.

Regarding repetition, back and forth etc I feel the covid fora aren't worth it. yes lots of excellent contributions and people want to hear swabs and cases. But you'll hear them later in the day anyway.

I'm off for the evening so there'll be no trouble with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The virus spreads.

Of course not.

Per the Mayo Clinic et Al
    Coronavirus Disease 2019(COVID-19) is a contagious disease caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Good news another 500,000 Pfizer doses coming to Ireland this quarter. Moving on to the 65-69 category too..

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

No no, Dr Eskimohunt knows all and everyone else is chatting 'nonsense'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

On Today FM yesterday there was a poll where they asked who would get the AstraZeneca vaccine. 76% text in to say they would get it while 24% said they would not. It would be interesting to know how many of those 24% would not get ANY vaccine.

It's becoming evident now at this stage that most people yet to get the vaccine want it, not really to protect themselves from Covid, but to get out of this mess. This Irish Times survey in October says 55% of people would get the vaccine. So even knowing what we know now about blood clots more people would be willing to get the vaccine now. I'd have more of a chance of getting a blood clot being on the contraceptive pill then I would getting the AZ vaccine. It's very frustrating.

Hopefully all this talk from last week about vaccine bonuses or additional freedoms for those who have had the vaccine will stop now. It's not the right time to be doing that type of kite flying.

Coronavirus Disease 2019(COVID-19) is a contagious disease caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)

This is accurate.

COVID-19 is a disease - and the virus which causes it is contagious, hence why they referenced the virus at the end of the definition.

All you have done is provide evidence to support my position.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Good to know, ta. terrible to die of a non-disease.

Faugheen wrote: »

COVID-19 is the name of the disease. That is a fact. Disease can be spread. The disease COVID-19 can be spread. And when you consider especially in late December/early January they stopped asymptomatic close contact testing, then it's fair to say we were dealing with people who had been spreading disease.

I'm sorry that the word 'disease' scares you so much but they are the facts of the matter here.

COVID-19 is the name of the clinical manifestation that some people experience when exposed to a virus that is spreading around a community.

I really can't make it simpler than that. I really cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭accensi0n

COVID-19 is the name of the clinical manifestation that some people experience when exposed to a virus that is spreading around a community.

Why does the red warning banner at the top of this WHO page mention disease?

https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus

"There is a current outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) disease"

accensi0n wrote: »
    Why does the red warning banner at the top of this WHO page mention disease?

https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus

"There is a current outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) disease"

That's true, too.

But the statement, "...the disease is spreading", is false - because only viruses spread who, in some people, manifest with symptoms of a disease.

The pathological vector of transmission is the virus itself - and the virus alone.

COVID-19 is the name of the disease. When people talk about 'the disease' they are talking about COVID-19.

I don't know how you can possibly deny any of that. People with COVID-19 (the disease) have infected others with COVID-19 (the disease) through close contacts. That is the literal definition of what an infectious disease is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

FWIW talk about distinguishing the virus from the disease is a typical starting point of the anti-lockdown loons who want to pretend there's no real health emergency and that people are having the wool pulled over their eyes because the level of "disease" is small.

Everyone knows that there is a difference. But in the context of viral spread and infection spread, it doesn't matter. In terms of cases and infection control, it is irrelevant who has Covid-19 and who has merely tested positive for the virus.

It's not a grand conspiracy by NPHET or anyone else to make this a bigger deal, the two terms are used interchangeably to avoid confusion because at the macro level it doesn't actually matter.

There was a similar HIV/AIDS debate in the 90s. That care should be taken to distinguish between HIV+ and AIDS.

The main reason this agenda was pushed back then was because there was considerable denial. Denial that someone with AIDS could spread AIDS. Denial that HIV caused AIDS. In the 1980s and 1990s, everyone who contracted HIV, developed AIDS. So there was functionally no difference in saying someone had HIV or had AIDS.

This is the same thing. It doesn't make a blind bit of difference to say that someone is virus positive or has Covid-19. Either way they can spread the virus and cause disease.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement