Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

Hang on...I know I’m not as familiar with the Irish restrictions as most, living overseas right now, but are outside pubs not next up for reopening? That’s feckin crazy.

I’m guessing it’s just down to NPHETS hatred of alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Hang on...I know I’m not as familiar with the Irish restrictions as most, living overseas right now, but are outside pubs not next up for reopening? That’s feckin crazy.

I’m guessing it’s just down to NPHETS hatred of alcohol.

Nphet don't make government policy

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

174 in hospital
    48 in ICU

More progress. Great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Corholio wrote: »
    Comparing Christmas is a bit of an off comparison imo. It's a very specific time of year where people crowded for specific reasons, buying presents, meeting people inside in heated areas, out for the atmosphere, and indeed people travelling home (just part of the factor not the biggest that some bang on about) were all factors that made it explode. It's a different time of year with very different factors, warmer weather, more likely to want to be outside, a lot of the elderly vaccinated etc.

I'm not saying open everything up, but the 'we saw what happened at Christmas' thing isn't that comparable tbh.

Coming into Summer more people traveling, people out for the first time since Christmas and inward foreign travel. Not all that different.

Nphet don't make government policy

And round we go again!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Miriam O'Callaghans Fianna Fáil brother Jim taking about variantsssssss on the Tonight Show.

Spoofer.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

And round we go again!!!

And this will keep happening as long as people are allowed to peddle that lie until they get the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

And round we go again!!!

In fairness, you started it while knowing rightly that NPHET don't actually make the final decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Miriam O'Callaghans Fianna Fáil brother Jim taking about variantsssssss on the Tonight Show.

Spoofer.

What did he say?

saabsaab wrote: »
    What did he say?

Like a deer in the headlights when asked why people from the UK aren't asked to MHQ.

Then went on about variants and that's the reason for MHQ from other countries.

Pressed on the UK variant and started rambling about how they are required to quarantine at home.

Whole thing is a farce.

• Advertisement

Like a deer in the headlights when asked why people from the UK aren't asked to MHQ.

Pressed on the UK variant and started rambling about how they are required to quarantine at home.

Whole thing is a farce.

I wonder is Ireland the country that is most concerned in the world about potential variants. Every day there seems to be a new story about potential variants.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

There will be a Sinn Fein variant yet.

Jim O'Callaghan was woeful on the Tonight Show. Interesting to see him on it all the same. I thought he would be above all that.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

What did he say?

He’s on with Kingston Mills and Ilona Duffy now on +1 if you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Whole thing is a farce.

In fairness to jim o'callaghan he was stating we have to live with covid and things need to open up.

On MHQ I got the impression he was defending something he doesn't believe in..

RGS wrote: »
    In fairness to jim o'callaghan he was stating we have to live with covid and things need to open up.

Yeah talk about him changing his tune to tow the party line.

Dissapointing.

Just another populist spoofer.

None of them have any balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Coming into Summer more people traveling, people out for the first time since Christmas and inward foreign travel. Not all that different.

Different seasons, weather, more likely to meet outdoors, no short hectic event, not the same 'family' tradition, It's a lot different imo, cases would go up inevitably from more people out but nothing like the rapid situation at Christmas. Again, I'm not one that's calling for everything to just open.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,590 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

There will be a Sinn Fein variant yet.

Jim O'Callaghan was woeful on the Tonight Show. Interesting to see him on it all the same. I thought he would be above all that.

Why above all that? He's trying to position himself as FF's 'king over the water'. Of course a lot of that profile building is going on away from the spotlight on the 'rubber chicken circuit' but he needs a certain level of media visibility too...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

I'd say we would have outdoor pubs in May. Depending on the roll out.

id say mid august for the staycation before schools reopen. then schools go back numbers go up and they shut last week in september again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Is it fair to say that, as a result of that doctor "discovering" the link with the clots, the vaccine is less used, so a greater number of deaths might now occur, though from Covid and not from that vaccine?

Yeah probably. Depends on the demographics of spread and on the vaccine rollout rate. This is how Pharmacovigilance works. I think during a pandemic they should be quicker at dealing with things like this as and when they arise and get going again. If it's only affecting women of a certain age then don't give them it while it's worked out.

Although the rate of this rare blood clotting from the vaccine is very likely to be under reported due to nobody connecting the dots until recently, it's still incredibly rare for most people. Even so one of the doctors involved clearly stated that it shouldn't be stopped. The good thing is that they know what to look for and the treatment will make it less deadly. This was the best thing about it.

Prof. Marcel Levi, MD PhD FRCP
    He did not want them to take action, he said, “because I think that vaccination is absolutely great and we should not stop it and we should not scare people. But just to make them aware. So I think they kept a close eye on the numbers in the following days.”

Levi wanted hospitals everywhere to know how to diagnose and treat this new condition. “We began to exchange information with some colleagues from the rest of Europe. The German group had quite a lot of experience with this particular condition. They had exactly the same information, but they were a little bit reluctant to share it with other people because they were in the process of getting it published in one of the scientific journals,” he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Yeah talk about him changing his tune to tow the party line.

Dissapointing.

Just another populist spoofer.

None of them have any balls.

I think he's 1 can short of a six pack. Therefore a future Taoiseach :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭Azatadine

That was hilarious! You could see his eyes pop open and the realisation that he had no clue how to answer that question all over his face. He really was like a deer in the headlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Dickie10 wrote: »
    id say mid august for the staycation before schools reopen. then schools go back numbers go up and they shut last week in september again.
    That is very doubtful with so many having had vaccine shots at that stage. Israeli data already hinting that about 60% coverage may even do it. Unless, of course, this is what you want to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

RGS wrote: »

Not all of them do but in the face of the vast majority of the Dail wanting to lock out the entire world, who'd be agin' it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Whole thing is a farce.

Why would the UK be on the MHQ list?
    Their variant is also our dominant one and they have lower cases than us to boot.

Dickie10 wrote: »

Just like last year eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Why would the UK be on the MHQ list?
    Their variant is also our dominant one and they have lower cases than us to boot.

I agree - they don’t need to be on it, and the fact that he didn’t even have that answer already prepared is ridiculous. Fair enough if asked why Poland or India aren’t on the list as it’s much harder to defend that decision than it is the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I wonder is Ireland the country that is most concerned in the world about potential variants. Every day there seems to be a new story about potential variants.

There was an outbreak in Whistler Canada of the Brazilian variant . They locked down the town , closed the ski slopes and are vaccinating every single person over 16 who live or work in Whistler . They register for an appointment online and the centre is open until 10 pm . They were very concerned .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

It's definitely worried about elsewhere too, e.g. Pat Kenny often checks in with journalists around Europe and they mention it. Even gets mentioned in random youtube videos, e.g. https://youtu.be/fqlPsAAsZss?t=155

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

is_that_so wrote: »
    That is very doubtful with so many having had vaccine shots at that stage. Israeli data already hinting that about 60% coverage may even do it. Unless, of course, this is what you want to see!

Israel have very strict rules on entry into the country. Being purely selfish, I'd wish they relaxed them so we could see what effect if any travel has. They don't have the South African variant.

The UK will be our best proxy. They've used a mix of vaccines. Largely only first dose given. They're a few weeks ahead of us. We should be able to use this to our advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement