Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I agree we should get the option, I wasn't giving the news conference my full attention but I thought they said men and women were equally likely (or unlikely) to get a clot after astra, that the reason more women had issues was that women had that vaccine.
    They're playing their cards close to their chest on this one, and I have to believe it's to avoid armchair scientists like me making grand proclamations on the airwaves that then get taken as gospel.

The EMA reports that "most" or a "majority" of clotting cases are women, but they don't seem to be reporting actual numbers. They have reported that of the people who have received AZ, about two-thirds are women. And this is why they can't say at the moment, whether there is a sex link or whether it's just a factor of the numbers.

Some of the non-EMA reports though suggest that about 95% of clotting incidents are women. The number of actual incidents is small, so it could absolutely just be an anomaly that so many are women; pure chance. But it's not something that can be ruled out at the moment.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Israel have very strict rules on entry into the country. Being purely selfish, I'd wish they relaxed them so we could see what effect if any travel has. They don't have the South African variant.

They do. It made up 1% of their total cases in February and in one district it was as high as 20%. They haven't released any more recent data unfortunately but it's definitely been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Hardyn wrote: »
    They do. It made up 1% of their total cases in February and in one district it was as high as 20%. They haven't released any more recent data unfortunately but it's definitely been there.

Yeah I just generously dismissed that as being functionally zero for now. The UK variant is more dominant there and some combination of that spreading, the vaccination programme and social restrictions has kept the SA one heavily suppressed. Unclear what's had the biggest influence.

Being more pedantic I should have said Israel's spread of covid isn't being driven by the SA variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Looks like NPHET considering going to 1 briefing a week from next month. Hopefully a good sign.

https://www.thejournal.ie/nphet-to-consider-holding-briefings-just-once-a-week-if-improvement-continues-5408125-Apr2021/?utm_source=twitter_short

• Registered Users Posts: 15,376 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Eod100 wrote: »

Wohooo doom and gloom reduced by half!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Probably fed up doing them twice a week at this stage too. Considering some of the inane questions they get asked, I wouldn't blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭cheezums

great. they should stop releasing daily case numbers as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

cheezums wrote: »

If they did that, people would complain that they're hiding numbers.

I don't like the media's fixation on case numbers, but that's not NPHET's fault.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Yeah I just generously dismissed that as being functionally zero for now. The UK variant is more dominant there and some combination of that spreading, the vaccination programme and social restrictions has kept the SA one heavily suppressed. Unclear what's had the biggest influence.

Being more pedantic I should have said Israel's spread of covid isn't being driven by the SA variant.

That's true the numbers are low. At the same time though Israel have had fairly low restrictions on gatherings for vaccinated people for the past while and Passover ended two weeks ago. It's enough that you'd expect to see B.1.351 start gaining ground if it were able to breakthrough the vaccines. So far there's not been any noticeable rise in cases.

It would be helpful if Israel released more sequencing data.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,584 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

cheezums wrote:
    That's the HSE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Why?
    They can release them every 10 minutes for all I care.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

eagle eye wrote: »
    That's the HSE.

It’s not, it’s NPHET.

Hospitals, ICUs, vaccinations etc is the HSE.

Either way, if they stopped releasing numbers daily then, as highlighted, people would be giving out yards about hiding the figures, especially if they’re low.

I’ve seen people say the briefings need to be stopped altogether, but then there’s no way for questions to be asked of NPHET’s recommendations.

Also a lot of people (who clearly don’t watch the briefings) seem to think they’re still on everyday when that hasn’t been the case since last June.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Why? So heads can be dug deeper in the sand? Or so doom merchants are deprived of Oxygen? Or so people will be about to complain about a lack of information?

Which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,404 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

If they did that, people would complain that they're hiding numbers.

I don't like the media's fixation on case numbers, but that's not NPHET's fault.

Only the last remaining covid obsessives would complain about that

• Registered Users Posts: 24,404 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Why? So heads can be dug deeper in the sand? Or so doom merchants are deprived of Oxygen? Or so people will be about to complain about a lack of information?

Which is it?

Hospitalizations and ICU numbers not sufficient?

It's not like anyone would expect NPHET and HSE (or whomever) to stop collecting the case numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Faugheen wrote: »
    It’s not, it’s NPHET.

Hospitals, ICUs, vaccinations etc is the HSE.

Either way, if they stopped releasing numbers daily then, as highlighted, people would be giving out yards about hiding the figures, especially if they’re low.

I’ve seen people say the briefings need to be stopped altogether, but then there’s no way for questions to be asked of NPHET’s recommendations.

Also a lot of people (who clearly don’t watch the briefings) seem to think they’re still on everyday when that hasn’t been the case since last June.
    No, it's actually the HSPC with the numbers and always has been. NPHET just do all the fancy data stuff.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

Which is it?

so older people aren't obsessing over them every day and driving them crazy. my elderly mother's mood is tied in to the daily case numbers for the last year. she's obsessed by them.

i'm not saying hide them. keep them on the website somewhere, they are there if someone cares enough to look for them. just don't tweet them out every day/announce in press conferences and if RTE didn't have them as their headline every single day at 6pm that would be great also.

it's been over a year now. enough.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

so older people aren't obsessing over them every day and driving them crazy. my elderly mother's mood is tied in to the daily case numbers for the last year. she's obsessed by them.

i'm not saying hide them. keep them on the website somewhere, they are there if someone cares enough to look for them. just don't tweet them out every day/announce in press conferences and if RTE didn't have them as their headline every single day at 6pm that would be great also.

it's been over a year now. enough.

If they’re kept on the website then the likes of RTE will still be able to get them so I don’t see what difference it will make.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭purplefields

I've never watched a briefing as I don't have RTE.

If they’re kept on the website then the likes of RTE will still be able to get them so I don’t see what difference it will make.

as i said in previous post, RTE have a part to play too. do we really need the daily case numbers as a headline (often the main headline) every single day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

as i said in previous post, RTE have a part to play too. do we really need the daily case numbers as a headline (often the main headline) every single day?

Virgin media are far more dramatic about them imo, certainly not just an RTE thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,013 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If people are looking for them, it is news worthy, and the state broadcaster should be providing news worthy news.

RTE running an agenda is a constant complaint on here - RTE deciding that case numbers are no longer news worthy would also be them pushing an agenda.

IMO, the cases should be reported, but the context of the cases should be clearly reported with them.

What is the positivity rate of swabs/cases. What is the ratio of cases where people are asymptomatic or a mild case. how does it stack up vs ICU/Hospital admissions. What does the R number look like. What do the case numbers mean with respect to lockdown measures (government should be fecking telling us this).
    400 cases is a huge number when we were in low double digits previously. But when you consider the positivity rate of swabs is consistently below 3% again is the case number more reflective of there being far more testing than previously.

Context is key, and it isn't clear enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

That's about 10 months overdue. Considering the standard of questioning I think they're wasting their time doing it twice a week and have been for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

Any update on hospital/ICU numbers for 8 a.m. this morning? Is there a link that I can check? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Galwayhurl wrote: »
    Any update on hospital/ICU numbers for 8 a.m. this morning? Is there a link that I can check? Thanks.
    RTE at 8 a.m. had it at 192 and 49. You can check on the data hub or the HSE daily reports page.

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/coronavirus-daily-operations-updates.html

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

is_that_so wrote: »

Super. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

To be honest, the reason they are often the headline is because there is no other news of note.

Fantastic news that NPHET briefings are to be reduced to 1 session per week.

That's also 50% fewer totally stupid questions from alleged journalists.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

This is a pretty poor indictment of Tallaght hospital, over a year into this pandemic

Thirty per cent of Covid-19 cases in Tallaght University Hospital were contracted there, according to a report critical of actions taken by the hospital to separate virus and non-virus patients.

The hospital experienced virus outbreaks last year, with five still ongoing at the time of the Health Information and Quality Authority inspection last December.

Inspectors found the screening of patients arriving in the emergency department for Covid-19 did not take place until registration.

“This was not in line with HSE guidelines and presented a potential weakness to the rapid identification and streaming of patients into Covid-19 and non-Covid-19 pathways,” Hiqa says.

“In addition, controls in place in the emergency department to limit entry points, reduce entry to accompanying adults, ensure adequate cleaning resources and reduce risks associated with staff crossover were insufficient.”

Inspectors found measures to prevent crossover of staff between Covid and non-Covid streams were not in place in the ED, while Covid resuscitation bays were not “functionally separated” from non-Covid bays, thus increasing the risk of infection.

The risks identified by inspectors “did not provide assurance that measures implemented to address (them) were either effective or sufficient”.

Up to June 2020, 373 patients and 291 staff members tested positive for the virus. Between March and June last year, the hospital experienced 11 outbreaks in 10 wards, whose duration varied from 29 days to 63 days.

During the first surge of the pandemic, 30 per cent of cases were “hospital-associated” and linked to 10 wards.

Responding to Hiqa, hospital management said it had taken action to address the findings identified by inspectors. However, additional resources would be need for a dedicated medical team for the Covid-19 pathway and this would have to be approved at hospital group level.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/almost-a-third-of-covid-cases-in-tallaght-hospital-contracted-there-hiqa-finds-1.4538254

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,418 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Stheno wrote: »
    This is a pretty poor indictment of Tallaght hospital, over a year into this pandemic

maternity ward in letterkenny apparently has an outbreak as well recently

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement