Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Faugheen wrote: »
    Gabby here asking if J&J arrived into the country. Paul Reid said at the HSE briefing earlier that it had arrived before making an awfully bad joke about them being in quarantine which I shamefully giggled at.

Do these journalists not pay any attention to what’s going on?

It's obvious what she's at here. Desperately trying to get Gylnn to say J&J not being used would set us back. Then she gets a nice headline about us being held back by vaccines sitting in the country.

I think Nolan's close to telling her to fúck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

That Eric guy is great for a bit of alarmism to be fair. Take what he says with a pinch of salt.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It's obvious what she's at here. Desperately trying to get Gylnn to say J&J not being used would set us back. Then she gets a nice headline about us being held back by vaccines sitting in the country.

I think Nolan's close to telling her to fúck off.

Noticed that, but to her defence I was scratching my head a bit at what he was trying to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I think this is the only thing that'll get us out of this mess. The most effective vaccines are not being manufactured or delivered in the quantities required to snuff it out. The pace at which it is evolving will mean we may always be on the back foot unless everyone has access etc. Hopefully Biden can do something although I doubt it. Pharma has deep pockets.

https://twitter.com/globalhlthtwit/status/1382624552233091079?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

It's all about the weather, that's why people worrying about us rapidly returning to the situation we were in January don't need to worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

It's all about the weather, that's why people worrying about us rapidly returning to the situation we were in January don't need to worry.

Sunny all day to day,lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

Supercell wrote: »
    With all the positive news and talk of easing restrictions it seems to me that we are taking our eye of the ball a little.
    The P1 varient appears to be widely taking over from the UK variant (B117) , hits younger people harder and vaccines do not seem to be as effective. Seems to be very little thought or mention of this going on, should we be concerned?

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1382242716667502594?s=20

https://twitter.com/rbclouston/status/1382731098095026178?s=20

Look at the scale of this chart! P1 is 1% even though on the picture it looks like it is half of B117.

But there is a big issue when presenting percentages when the total number changed dramatically.

Imagine at time 0: you have 1998 cases of B117 and 2 cases of P1. The part of P1=0.1% of total
    Imagine that a few weeks later you have a very efficient vaccine that dropped the number of cases. Let's say you now have: 99 cases of B117 and 1 case of P1. P1=1% of total.

You can claim that the part of P1 it has multiplied by 10. Or you can claim that the number of cases of P1 has been reduced by 50%. Both are true, one is alarmist, one is good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Also like most of last summer the virus is not lurking around every corner nor in every puff of wind.

Supercell wrote: »
    With all the positive news and talk of easing restrictions it seems to me that we are taking our eye of the ball a little.
    The P1 varient appears to be widely taking over from the UK variant (B117) , hits younger people harder and vaccines do not seem to be as effective. Seems to be very little thought or mention of this going on, should we be concerned?

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1382242716667502594?s=20

https://twitter.com/rbclouston/status/1382731098095026178?s=20

How that fella hasn't been banned from twitter for spreading misinformation I don't know. There have been 40 cases to date of P.1 in the UK. There is no indication it is gaining any ground at all let alone outcompeting B.1.1.7. It is certainly not "surging". It's also unlikely to have a significant effect on vaccine efficacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Zara King back again with braindead questions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Hairdressers in the north opening on Friday, non essential retail the following week and indoor dining the end of may.

Something must give in this country or else our economy is destroyed fro a generation

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

8 deaths.

(4 occurred in April, 2 in February and 2 in January or earlier)

309 new cases.

Are we heading for a backlog? Seems to be underreporting last few days.

Hardyn wrote: »
    How that fella hasn't been banned from twitter for spreading misinformation I don't know. There have been 40 cases to date of P.1 in the UK. There is no indication it is gaining any ground at all let alone outcompeting B.1.1.7. It is certainly not "surging". It's also unlikely to have a significant effect on vaccine efficacy.

In the very early days he hinted he was part of certain research groups and got pulled up over it. He's a pure self-publicist and seems terrified of this whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

wadacrack wrote: »
    Zara King back again with braindead questions

Nothing wrong with asking when expectant mothers can have their partners with them. A lot of people are in that boat and in fairness to her, there is no urgency around it from anyone in government or the HSE.

I’m starting to think you have an issue with her rather than the questions she asks.

Gael23 wrote: »
    Hairdressers in the north opening on Friday, non essential retail the following week and indoor dining the end of may.

Something must give in this country or else our economy is destroyed fro a generation
    4th May is two weeks from next Tuesday!

Scaring people again?

Nothing wrong with asking when expectant mothers can have their partners with them. A lot of people are in that boat and in fairness to her, there is no urgency around it from anyone in government or the HSE.

I’m starting to think you have an issue with her rather than the questions she asks.
    She has a particular type of question, which is largely better suited to news gossip slots.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Scaring people again?

Do you honestly believe people won’t travel up north to shop or get their hair done?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya, there won't be pent up savings for long in some counties when the North reopens. Just going to us who lose out economically

• Advertisement

That's not how she asked it. it was an impossible question to answer . Which is the case with the majority of her questions. Her questions always strike me as self indulgence

is_that_so wrote: »
    She has a particular type of question, which better suited to news gossip slots.

What’s that? Weddings? Hairdressers? Maternity Hospitals?

I can guarantee that’s of more interest to women (especially young women) than when they’re going to get their vaccine.

Don’t see why that belongs in ‘gossip’ slots and the fact you’re so dismissive of those issues is a sign that it doesn’t impact you.

Just because it doesn’t impact you doesn’t mean that applies across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

That is so important. I know about the 3 months to report a death, but this should be reported better IMO as it's a tad misleading. We really aren't in a horrible place right now

wadacrack wrote: »
    That's not how she asked it. it was an impossible question to answer . Which is the case with the majority of her questions. Her questions always strike me as self indulgence

And yet he said he’ll come back to her on Monday with an answer.

If she didn’t push him on it then this would not have happened. It’s a very big issue for families. Imagine a mother going in for her 20 week scan and finding that she miscarried with her partner sat out in the car? It’s horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

George Lee is being positive now. I need to lie down.

I can guarantee that’s of more interest to women (especially young women) than when they’re going to get their vaccine.

Don’t see why that belongs in ‘gossip’ slots and the fact you’re so dismissive of those issues is a sign that it doesn’t impact you.

Zara King: can you give any indications when hairdressing/weddings/ maternity etc....

Glynn: I cant give a recommendation

King: But Can you....

Rinse and repeat for about 18 months of this pandemic.

Repetition gets annoying. I can't remember any other reporters asking about other restricted events repeatedly. Her questions are useful basic at best and theirs no real insight to them

She does what she does. As a journalist she's pretty awful but she satisfies a need so who am I to argue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Benimar

Do you honestly believe people won’t travel up north to shop or get their hair done?

Do you honestly believe that people doing so will ‘destroy our economy for a generation’?

Watch RTE run something negative or take Ronan Glynn out of context anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

It makes me uneasy and nervous seeing that doom merchant being positive :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement