Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

It's inevitable that MHQ will be scrapped in my opinion, whether it's because of the EC or the inevitable high court challenges.

I say that as someone that's been in favour of it all along.

I believe the prudent thing to do would be to cut our losses at this stage.

I will however give credit to the government for trying it, even if it was 11 months too late.

If state concedes though the constitutionality of it will never be judged on by the court. Think they will learn and have better appeals process and take more humanitarian approach. The EC letter isn't really much more than a slap on the wrist if even that. Happened before to other countries and wasn't huge deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Eod100 wrote: »
    Makes sense and frees up capacity but say it will still exist for another while anyway. Was always going to be a temporary measure.

Temporary yes but I don't think anyone foresaw this temporary.

Quite convenient timing after the EU commission got in touch about it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

is_that_so wrote: »
    18 cases v c. 800 in walk-ins suggests a pretty skewed priority in terms of risk.

What about the variants? The UK version took over very quickly what will you and others say if a new version comes in again?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭blade1

is_that_so wrote: »
    18 cases v c. 800 in walk-ins suggests a pretty skewed priority in terms of risk.

It only took one case to start this whole clusterf*cK off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Temporary yes but I don't think anyone foresaw this temporary.

Quite convenient timing after the EU commission got in touch about it

Guess thought it would need to be EU or global approach to recognising vaccination certs so bit sooner alright but think it will still be in place for anyone not vaccinated or without PCR test for another while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

saabsaab wrote: »
    What about the variants? The UK version took over very quickly what will you and others say if a new version comes in again?

What do you propose we do? This thing isn't going away. There are going to be variants of some description going around for a long time.

What do you propose we do? This thing isn't going away. There are going to be variants of some description going around for a long time.

True it's not going away. At least we wait until the vaccines are rolled out substantially.

No matter how many variants you have, the virus is still SARS-CoV-2.

As long as that is the case, which is a certainty, then vaccines can be modified to account not only for existing variations but also potential future variations, too.

This idea that a variation of SARS-CoV-2 may come along to scupper the world effort against the pandemic is arrant nonsense.

No matter how many variants you have, the virus is still SARS-CoV-2.

As long as that is the case, which is a certainty, then vaccines can be modified to account not only for existing variations but also potential future variations, too.

This idea that a variation of SARS-CoV-2 may come along to scupper the world effort against the pandemic is arrant nonsense.

Is it?
    Originally Posted by 20silkcut viewpost.gif
    Dr David nbarro is saying pretty much that in today’s independent. That variants beat the vaccines. Basically the vaccine is useless without border control. Pretty depressing read. He is talking in terms of years before we get on top of this. The virus is currently surging on a global scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

17 out of 26 counties now below 100 cases per 100,000 on the 14 day scale

• Advertisement

Is it?
    Originally Posted by 20silkcut viewpost.gif
    Dr David nbarro is saying pretty much that in today’s independent. That variants beat the vaccines. Basically the vaccine is useless without border control. Pretty depressing read. He is talking in terms of years before we get on top of this. The virus is currently surging on a global scale.

Variants do not beat the vaccines.

Two points of consideration:

a) Vaccines are effective against existing variants.

b) Vaccines are effective against future variants - as existing vaccines can be modified.

If you assume a situation of zero restrictions on travel, of course Dr. David is correct. But that is not what is happening in reality.

Doom and gloom is seductive, but it's not always right - no matter how tempting it may be to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

What if we stop all travel and then an Irish variant evolves which wipes us out from within? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Doom and gloom is seductive, but it's not always right - no matter how tempting it may be to believe.
    Same could be said for unbridled optimism, of course...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Variants do not beat the vaccines.

Two points of consideration:

a) Vaccines are effective against existing variants.

b) Vaccines are effective against future variants - as existing vaccines can be modified.

If you assume a situation of zero restrictions on travel, of course Dr. David is correct. But that is not what is happening in reality.

That's cool.

How's your last year been ? Must have been Nice with such an opinion.

In reality kids have been out of school for way too long.
    Hospitals have not been treating non covid for far too long.

I'm hopeful too but lets not get wrong footed again.

Dja remember when we though the "Kent variant" was made up by Boris?

I suppose the South African one is made up by the safas.

https://twitter.com/kniggem/status/1382695006650175489?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭political analyst

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/vaccine-roll-out-and-economy-recovery-in-chaos-as46bn-deficitforecast-by-end-of-2022-40311264.html
    .... the economy has been protected from a more severe and long-lasting economic impact from the pandemic because the shock was not preceded by a build-up of borrowing, according to new research by the Central Bank.

The analysis of "growth at risk", a measure of the impact of today's circumstances on future growth, shows that the Covid-19 downturn will not be as deep or as long as the financial crisis that started in 2008.

The authors of the research write that this is because, in the lead-up to the pandemic, Ireland was at a more resilient starting point than at the end of the Celtic Tiger.

Prior to Covid, there was less evidence of systemic financial vulnerabilities, such as over-borrowing by consumers and businesses, and little sign of problems in the financial system. This means that the Irish economy is likely to bounce back more quickly and strongly from the Covid downturn than it did following the crash of 2008.

That's cool.

Don't be facetious.

The current vaccines work. Future modified vaccines will be effective against variants.

We may disagree on everything else, but that much is fact.

Swim, dine and sleep in an interminable ocean of doom, gloom, and permanent pessimism all you wish. That is your right. In the meantime, the rest of us will move on; cautiously, of course - but positively nonetheless.

Jesus

Never thought I's say this.

Good man Stephen Donnelly.

"I make no apologies to the eu commission , to the Italian ambassador. We have a right to protect the life of people in Ireland"

Powerful stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 24,405 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Jesus

"I make no apologies to the eu commission , to the Italian ambassador. We have a right to protect the life of people in Ireland"

Powerful stuff

Ah here

How about track and trace? How about a functioning health service? How about cutting waiting lists? How about resuming full cancer screening?

Protect the life of people in Ireland

My hole

Jesus

Powerful stuff

Dead right. Should mind his own business.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Ah here

Crazy days. Thank god for the constitution.

God save Ireland save the heros

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Fran McNulty should’ve told Donnelly to cough into his elbow there.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,772 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The italians ... who kept the ski resorts open... can **** off lecturing to anyone about this virus.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Jesus

Powerful stuff

Handy tough talk to distract from his inadequacies.

This move will be found to be unlawful and will be dropped.

Donnelly out of his depth.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The italians ... who kept the ski resorts open... can **** off lecturing to anyone about this virus.

To be fair it's just their Ambassador. Can you imagine our Ambassador telling Italy what to do? Neither can I.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

odyssey06 wrote: »

EU agrees with Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

This thread is becoming the meeting point of all the patriots with an injured ego.

Damn these Italians with their... places where Irish people traveled and bring back the virus". Bad bad Italian people that want a law to be transparent, having precise criteria and clarity on when and how the list is revised. Let's try to find something in their past instead of making things right in Ireland

zebastein wrote: »
    This thread is becoming the meeting point of all the patriots with an injured ego.

Damn these Italians with their... places where Irish people traveled and bring back the virus". Bad bad Italian people that want a law to be transparent, having precise criteria and clarity on when and how the list is revised. Let's try to find something in their past instead of making things right in Ireland

That bolded bit is true!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

To be fair it's just their Ambassador. Can you imagine our Ambassador telling Italy what to do? Neither can I.

I really hope that if something happened to Irish people in Italy, your embassady would do its job.

An embassady's purpose is to assist and represent the citizen in the host country. That's all they are doing here, representing people that are stuck in MHQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

That's cool.

In reality kids have been out of school for way too long.
    Hospitals have not been treating non covid for far too long.

I'm hopeful too but lets not get wrong footed again.

Dja remember when we though the "Kent variant" was made up by Boris?

I suppose the South African one is made up by the safas.

https://twitter.com/kniggem/status/1382695006650175489?s=20

Don’t make me laugh with your “I’m hopeful too” lark, you’ll cry into your Cornflakes when this is all done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement