Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭brickster69

Jesus

Never thought I's say this.

Good man Stephen Donnelly.

"I make no apologies to the eu commission , to the Italian ambassador. We have a right to protect the life of people in Ireland"

Powerful stuff

Too fu##ing right. Good on him !

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭snotboogie

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The italians ... who kept the ski resorts open... can **** off lecturing to anyone about this virus.

In fairness our state broadcaster, when it had been abundantly clear for weeks that Italy had a problem and for months that covid was a major problem, was telling people in March who texted in worried about skiing trips to Italy to "Gwan way and enjoy your hollydays"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Brazil - in the states of Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo they are running out and or either have a shortage of drugs used that are needed to sedate patients

As a result the seriously ill are being tied down and intubated without effective sedatives

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

zebastein wrote: »
    I really hope that if something happened to Irish people in Italy, your embassady would do its job.

An embassady's purpose is to assist and represent the citizen in the host country. That's all they are doing here, representing people that are stuck in MHQ

He has gone further that that by all accounts. Telling us what to do. I say the Government should ask them to take back their Ambassador and apologize.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Brazil - in the states of Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo they are running out and or either have a shortage of drugs used that are needed to sedate patients

As a result the seriously ill are being tied down and intubated without effective sedatives

Jesvs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I think I just saw Stephen Donnelly grow a back bone on national TV.

Where's David attenborough when you need him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Who is this woman on the Tonight Show?

Imported variants are a huge concern due to potentially being vaccine resistant but our way out of this is vaccinating adults...??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

I think I just saw Stephen Donnelly grow a back bone on national TV.

Where's David attenborough when you need him?
    No point acting Billy big balls now , he should have used that line and went and purchased 5 million vaccines from Pfizer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

mcburns07 wrote: »

Imported variants are a huge concern due to potentially being vaccine resistant but our way out of this is vaccinating adults...??

If enough people are done it won't have a chance to develop further. Currently they provide a fair degree of protection.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1382812557656911873?s=20

Also for the conspiracy theorists out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

Do some people just love fear mongering and been negative.

It's like they get off on it.

When we have good case numbers, vacinnes been rolled out and close to opening back up they have to start talking about variants.

Some people just love doom and gloom.

Time to unfollow this thread.

there should be no exemptions for anyone who has not tested negative or not had a vaccine. If the athletes are not taking tests and testing negative, they should hit the bricks and get into the hotel. Otherwise it proves they cannot handle it and it's crumbling with court case after court case. Simon harris said the cost of the hotels will be footed by the GOVT for returning students..music to their ears...these exemptions come very soon after the Donnelly vs coveny spat...can you spell compromise?? No exceptions in public health.. load of shyte!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Add in the next pandemic will happen in the next 10 years.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭mcburns07

gctest50 wrote: »

Because theyve enough of the alternatives to not need to use it?

Because theyve enough of the alternatives to not need to use it?

Yes, ditching AZ completely has pushed back their expected completion of their vaccination of adults by all of 2 weeks (according to reports on the radio this morning)

If AZ is that small a part of the supply, any nation would probably take the same action, simply for political reasons

Do some people just love fear mongering and been negative.

It's like they get off on it.

When we have good case numbers, vacinnes been rolled out and close to opening back up they have to start talking about variants.

Some people just love doom and gloom.

Time to unfollow this thread.

Yes. If we did have a magic bullet then as sure as night follows day they'd pick holes in that. Sometimes I think that a few on here dig around looking for some obscure "expert" who will have the gloomiest most pessimistic outcome. We should try and remain focused on the here and now which contains alot to be hopeful for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Yes. If we did have a magic bullet then as sure as night follows day they'd pick holes in that. Sometimes I think that a few on here dig around looking for some obscure "expert" who will have the gloomiest most pessimistic outcome. We should try and remain focused on the here and now which contains alot to be hopeful for.

I call them Kermit de Sprogs, in honour of the original scaremongering doom merchant frog himself. I feel the original frog could be indeed some of the Sprogs... but that's all silly talk. Things are on the leap (so to speak) and that's the main thing. People that need to shift through social media for negativity are broken and no Vaccine will help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Champagne Sally

Faugheen wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1382812557656911873?s=20

Also for the conspiracy theorists out there.

What on earth is going on in Offaly?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

gctest50 wrote: »
    Denmark are claiming a 1 in 40,000 occurrence, which is way higher. AZ doesn't need to be a core vaccine now in the EU but they still need to get to the bottom of these clots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I usually use the terms "worrying", "turning point" etc with sarcasm ... but this :
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-56731801

Extremely worrying, Chile have ~66% of population with 1st dose, ~27% with 2 doses.

Also this
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/04/14/science-proves-boris-johnson-wrong-vaccines-reducing-deaths/

appears as a good news story, but
    While nearly 40 per cent of unvaccinated people who were infected ended up in hospital, only 32 per cent of the vaccinated cohort did.

This doesn't seem like a good result - only 8% reduction in hospitalisation due to vaccine ??? Still 32% of vaccinated people in hospital ???

If this is true than the vaccines won't get us out of this sh1t ....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,661 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Chile are using a crap vaccine, stop looking at Chile.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I usually use the terms "worrying", "turning point" etc with sarcasm ... but this :

Extremely worrying, Chile have ~66% of population with 1st dose, ~27% with 2 doses.

Also this
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/04/14/science-proves-boris-johnson-wrong-vaccines-reducing-deaths/

This doesn't seem like a good result - only 8% reduction in hospitalisation due to vaccine ??? Still 32% of vaccinated people in hospital ???

They are using the SinoVac vaccine, which at 50.4% barely qualifies as effective and the high incidence of cases is also going to make things very tough. Israel and the UK are better examples for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

snotboogie wrote: »
    In fairness our state broadcaster, when it had been abundantly clear for weeks that Italy had a problem and for months that covid was a major problem, was telling people in March who texted in worried about skiing trips to Italy to "Gwan way and enjoy your hollydays"

Also worthy of note: Italy closed its borders as early as 9 March 2020.
    Source: BBC News "The government said only those with a valid work or family reason that cannot be postponed will be allowed to travel. Passengers departing on flights will have to justify themselves, as will all those who arrive by plane. "
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51810673
    However, after that date, there was still skying to be had elsewhere in Europe, for those who were keen: France, Switzerland, Austria (let's never forget Ischgl).
    And soon after the masses flocked to Cheltenham (10-13 March 2020)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

OK, slightly relieved, but still that telegraph stat worries me...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,092 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

AdamD wrote: »
    Chile are using a crap vaccine, stop looking at Chile.

Plus their current wave started in mid-Feb before they'd got their vaccination programme going, and they're still only at 60 doses per capita.

Israel had a similar surge which was only properly stomped when they got to 100 doses/100 capita with Pfizer.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,092 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

OK, slightly relieved, but still that telegraph stat worries me...

Stop reading the Telegraph. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭LeakyLime

#Scamdemic now trending in Ireland on Twitter with some really bat**** stuff.

The longest, strictest lockdown is only fuelling the far-right in this country.

I heard there was a 4000% rise in the use of far-right groups on Telegram last year.

It's vulnerable, disenfranchised people who will join these groups. The rich have gotten significantly richer this last 13 months - again this supports these groups' agenda and recruits new members for them.

And when our politicians get it so wrong (experts too - Luke O'Neill has been wrong more than right - although I like him still) and promote falseholds (e.g. "this is a completely new virus"... not true, never was, never will be), it really gives these groups the opportunity to flourish.

Trouble is a-brewing over the next few years.

Stop feeding it - time to follow the data and live with COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Also this

i thinks its a combination of factors. Relaxing restrictions too quickly. Less-than-desired levels of effectiveness of the Sinovac vaccine. Vaccinated people become infected before the vaccine illicit an immune response. Variants in South America seem to be pretty serious. Its hard to say at this stage but the virus seems to be impacted younger people more severely than previous waves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

is_that_so wrote: »
    Denmark are claiming a 1 in 40,000 occurrence, which is way higher. AZ doesn't need to be a core vaccine now in the EU but they still need to get to the bottom of these clots.

of their sample take... would be interesting to see what their total of vaccinated people with AZ was

You need to cross correlate to other sample groups to get a definitive number...

put simply....

they could have vaccinated 40,000 only and had 1 case, which is a small sample size

you could have had that occurrence of blood clots on the third vaccination, giving it a 1/3 chance at that point ...

sample size correlation is needed for context

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement