Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭political analyst

saabsaab wrote: »
    To be fair I thought it was 80%?

'The government has said it's still committed to its target of giving at least 80% of adults their first Covid-19 jab by June.
    It comes after news the EU is set to receive 50m extra Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines this quarter on top of 200m doses already earmarked for the bloc.'

Yes. As I saw on Prime Time, the government estimate is for, by the end of June, 82% of adults to have got the first dose and 55% of adults to have been fully vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭peterc1991

eastie17 wrote: »
    This hotel quarantine thing is a ****ing embarrassment.
    Over a year after this thing starts, we finally decide to get our **** togther and come up with this dogs dinner of a plan.
    The vaccine rollout is not near as efficient as it could be through bad planning and incompetence.
    I know there are challenges with the supply but every country is facing that, and if you look at the data we are continuing to fall down the per capita vaccinated numbers because we still haven't got the logistics sorted.
    We're now 21st in Europe, early on we were 4th or 5th.

The all adults vaccinated by end of June is a complete fallacy as well, and always was going to be based on their capacity to vaccinate. They are saying 6 weeks to do all the over 60s which brings us to the end of May.
    How the **** were you ever going to do every other age group 6 weeks after that?
    We all know its going to take time but stop coming up with daft estimates based on tea leave reading said with confidence just because the date is "far away" so you think it'll be grand. Hope is not a strategy as someone once said.

I know we dont expect much from our Governments and public service but while these are not easy things to do, they have almost unlimited resources and have had time to get this right and they keep ****ing it up.

Em. Talk about dramatisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/under-30s-may-get-vaccinated-before-30-50-year-olds-under-new-plan-being-considered-to-slow-covid-19-1.45397

So now Donnelly wants to amend the vaccine roll out programme a few weeks after its was amended to a age based rollout.

If this is implemented my mid 20s old son gets vaccinated before me his lates 50s father.
    Younger teachers getting vaccinated before old teachers, same in the gardai.

Cant say I'm thrilled at the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

RGS wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/under-30s-may-get-vaccinated-before-30-50-year-olds-under-new-plan-being-considered-to-slow-covid-19-1.45397

So now Donnelly wants to amend the vaccine roll out programme a few weeks after its was amended to a age based rollout.

If this is implemented my mid 20s old son gets vaccinated before me his lates 50s father.

It's just a proposal to be examined. Cases in the under 45s suggest it's worth looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Is it that 18 year olds would get it first and work upwards or 30 first and downwards? If 18 first wonder would it then be same criteria for 50-30 or will that still be aged base risk so be older get it first? Understand the logic but not sure it's very consistent with what they have been saying about risk of severe illness and age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's just a proposal to be examined. Cases in the under 45s suggest it's worth looking at.

How many people under 45 died from covid ? How many people over 45 died from covid? If this whole thing is about saving lives it should start with the oldest and work its way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I think looking at deaths and hospital cases would be better than looking ta cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Alcohol is the reason they won't let it go ahead imo

Was listening to a podcast on Spotify (Angry bartenders Ireland) and they made a good point saying 'some other businesses like fast food places/coffee shops/vans etc can have outside dining' and why cant pubs have it to ?

Saint Tony hates alcohol and has spoken out against it for years

https://alcoholireland.ie/dr-tony-holohan-chief-medical-officer-delivers-the-opening-address-at-alcohol-action-irelands-have-we-bottled-it-alcohol-marketing-and-young-people-conference/

This is the man that decides, on the Government's behalf, when pubs can open properly.

How many people under 45 died from covid ? How many people over 45 died from covid? If this whole thing is about saving lives it should start with the oldest and work its way down.
    Again the proposal is not about deaths or severe cases, but looking at the possibility of breaking a big part of the chain of community transmission links. It's also undecided and it's just being considered at present.

Klonker wrote: »
    I think looking at deaths and hospital cases would be better than looking ta cases.
    Transmission of the disease is what I think they are looking at. By the time we get to that point all of the at risk groups will have been done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

https://alcoholireland.ie/dr-tony-holohan-chief-medical-officer-delivers-the-opening-address-at-alcohol-action-irelands-have-we-bottled-it-alcohol-marketing-and-young-people-conference/

This is the man that decides, on the Government's behalf, when pubs can open properly.

The statistics quoted in that article speak for themselves.

Transmission is what I think they are looking at.

They can't just look at one aspect of it. Deaths and hospitalisations need to be looked at too. Using your logic we should have started with the 18-30s before the 85+ group

The big bad bogeyman out to get our pubs.

Have you noticed he has not been around since February?

They can't just look at one aspect of it. Deaths and hospitalisations need to be looked at too. Using your logic we should have started with the 18-30s before the 85+ group
    Well the latter have been done so that's moot and hospitalisations and deaths are now declining as a data point. As somebody reminded me on the vaccine thread this idea was noted in the original vaccination plan.

Preventing transmission prevents hospitalisations. 18-30 year olds don’t just pass it to 18-30 year olds. The idea is that it may be possible to reduce incidence rates faster than roll out vaccines therefore preventing more deaths sooner.

I don’t agree with it, but it’s an idea that is not outrageous

Preventing transmission prevents hospitalisations. 18-30 year olds don’t just pass it to 18-30 year olds. The idea is that it may be possible to reduce incidence rates faster than roll out vaccines therefore preventing more deaths sooner.

I don’t agree with it, but it’s an idea that is not outrageous

I understand the idea but I just don't think it's a good one. Even if there are marginal benifits to it I don't think it would be worth changing. And the potential benifits would be very hard to impossible to measure by the way, such as knock on transmission to people who are already vaccinated.

It won't happen anyway. Donnelly might like the idea but it would need NIAC approval and even at that it'll probably be a marginal call and the government would get a huge backlash if they implemented it. The fact is 30-50 are a lot more likely to die than 18-30 from covid so vaccinating the younger group first would be a huge political mistake unless it is strongly pushed by NIAC which I can't see happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭prunudo

So we've gone from vaccines are to be used to protect the vulnerable and those at risk of catching covid, to vaccines are to be used to protect the most at risk, ie the older people first and now back to vaccinating people who are at risk of catching covid.
    So I'll ask the question that I raised three weeks back when they scrapped the original plan, (who's more at risk, a 30 yr old teacher or a 50 yr old working from home). What are vaccines for, are they for stopping you getting seriously ill or are they to stop you getting the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,405 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

RGS wrote: »

That's not the right link... For me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

prunudo wrote: »
    So we've gone from vaccines are to be used to protect the vulnerable and those at risk of catching covid, to vaccines are to be used to protect the most at risk, ie the older people first and now back to vaccinating people who are at risk of catching covid.
    So I'll ask the question that I raised three weeks back when they scrapped the original plan, (who's more at risk, a 30 yr old teacher or a 50 yr old working from home). What are vaccines for, are they for stopping you getting seriously ill or are they to stop you getting the virus.

I'm going to go with the 50 yo, as the 30yo is subjected to regular testing, working in bubbles and statistically less likely to get sick....

whereas the the 50yo is still going to swingers parties and getting her hair and nails done on the sly by Rita who is having everyone over in the borough for prosecco and treatments

• Advertisement

Think there was already mention of vaccinating 18-35s in original NIAC plan if it led to lowering transmission but not sure after which specific cohort or why it has changed to 30. Think there is a logic if it does reduce overall transmission so not beyond the bounds of possibility that NIAC would approve. Think it would need to be communicated well and explained if it does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Hospital numbers at 8pm Friday

Total 179 (down from 192 the night before)
    ICU 51 (up from 50 the night before)

Previous Friday
    Total 200
    ICU 51

16th April 2020
    Total 839
    ICU 138

• Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Are we still in Level 5? Does anyone know?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

level 5.1 ... you've to text RTE when you want to go toilet

Are we still in Level 5? Does anyone know?

Not very clear. Gov.ie has level 5 still https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/ but when you can travel around county its maybe bit lower. That said a lot of restrictions still so doesn't exactly feel like level 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Eod100 wrote: »
    Not very clear. Gov.ie has level 5 still https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/ but when you can travel around county its maybe bit lower. That said a lot of restrictions still so doesn't exactly feel like level 4.

Level 4 has never existed surely?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

The living with Covid plan was ignored from day 1. Great idea but was incoherent in implementation.

Level 4 has never existed surely?

Not sure tbh but meant in way it definitely doesn't feel like level 3 either. Maybe 5 lite/minus or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Think there was already mention of vaccinating 18-35s in original NIAC plan if it led to lowering transmission but not sure after which specific cohort or why it has changed to 30. Think there is a logic if it does reduce overall transmission so not beyond the bounds of possibility that NIAC would approve. Think it would need to be communicated well and explained if it does happen.

Biggest issue is they've changed from that plan and used the higher the age the bigger the risk justification to remove teachers, guards etc.

If you're looking at breaking transmission, they should be getting vaccinated first as if they get it, are far likelier than anyone else atm of creating a cluster.

On the original plan, it would have been ok as I can justify you're targeting transmission a lot easier with the other cohorts above the general age one. You can't now at all imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement