Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Age mostly I would have thought. Their case numbers are likely understated as well which will make the death rate look higher too.

Good point, I see the mortality age in India is circa 70 (below 65 in Africa!) so the majority of the higher risk (from age POV) wouldn’t apply as much. Mortality age in western countries is prob north of 80 in general. I’d say diabetes and being over weight is not so much an issue aswell. I do wonder how much of our lifestyle may play a role.

Do they have the infrastructure to properly record this? I’ve never been there but a brother in law who was said the slums were insane. I’m wondering how they would record deaths in these places or if they would bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

Age mostly I would have thought. Their case numbers are likely understated as well which will make the death rate look higher too.

I agree. Life in parts of India is so chaotic I’d imagine it could be very difficult to get an accurate picture of how things really are.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Drumpot wrote: »
    Good point, I see the mortality age in India is circa 70 so the majority of the higher risk (from age POV) wouldn’t apply as much. Mortality age in western countries is prob north of 80. I’d say diabetes is not so much an issue aswell.

Do they have the infrastructure to properly record this? I’ve never been there but a brother in law who was said the slums were insane. I’m wondering how they would record deaths in these places or if they would bother.
    Second worst in the world actually.

https://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/health/india-has-second-largest-number-of-people-with-diabetes/article29975027.ece

is_that_so wrote: »

Wow, China above them, would of bet my house on USA being top of that list. That is a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Jizique

Leinster have a game in France in a few weeks.

Yes, but it’s easier to change the law for the ladies international team than if it was being done simply for leinster; the issue is put to bed in good time and there will be no controversy around the Leinster trip

• Advertisement

Wow, China above them, would of bet my house on USA being top of that list. That is a surprise.
    Iran too has a problem I believe. It's all that sugar they use in tea!

Weight/diabetes is an issue everywhere. As states have intervened to ensure food is cheap and available the cheapest and most effective way to do it is get sugar and fat into everything. Unfortunately it only takes a small increase in efficiency to create a 5% calorie excess which on a population scale is catastrophic.

As for cases/deaths where life expectancy is low and recording is patchy, deaths from covid are fairly likely to be recorded as such. Thousands upon thousands of cases in a slum are probably less likely to be detected and recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Good point, I see the mortality age in India is circa 70 (below 65 in Africa!) so the majority of the higher risk (from age POV) wouldn’t apply as much. Mortality age in western countries is prob north of 80 in general. I’d say diabetes and being over weight is not so much an issue aswell. I do wonder how much of our lifestyle may play a role.

I imagine they wouldn't bother

Iran too has a problem I believe. It's all that sugar they use in tea!

Glad I switched to herbal a few years back...:D

Glad I switched to herbal a few years back...:D
    They fairly lash it into their mint tea!:eek:

Worked with one Indian guy and it took us two years to get him down from SEVEN to 5 sugars!

• Advertisement

They fairly lash it into their mint tea!:eek:

Worked with one Indian guy and it took us two years to get him down from SEVEN to 5 sugars!

7!!! Fuppin hell...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

7-day average in cases 376. In hospital 183, in ICU 50.

1,155,599 doses of COVID-19 vaccine administered.

A month ago March 17th

7-day average in cases 521. In hospital 350, in ICU 82.

617,050 doses of COVID-19 vaccine administered.

A year ago April 17th 2020 (from half the amount of testing carried out)

7-day average in cases 842. In hospital 852, in ICU 132.

It was anyone's guess when vaccines would arrive back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

So a detention centre?

It's hardly Guantanamo.

550494.png

• Registered Users Posts: 30,781 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's hardly Guantanamo.

Ross O'Carroll Kelly paints a grim picture of it in this undercover podcast.

Ghastly place. The walls are painted magnolia and the mini bar doesn't have any gin.

https://soundcloud.com/irishtimes-rossock/i-just-assumed-quarantine-wouldnt-affect-people-like-us

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

If it keeps new variants out I don't care what it's called.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,405 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

saabsaab wrote: »

Would you be happy with preventing all passenger transport into Ireland?

That'd keep those pesky dreaded variants out too

lawred2 wrote: »

Only essential transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,405 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Only essential transport.

Oh yeah those variants respect essential reasons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

One dose of the vaccine, negative tests, and she already had covid.

This is madness.

Oh yeah those variants respect essential reasons

In this case less is more.

MHQ for the UK? And no exceptions? Including vaccinated people? New Zealand style? Including the border?

Because that’s the only way you keep out the variants

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I don't understand why you act like there is no reason to be worried about variants which potentially aren't covered by the vaccine.

It's the height of disrespect because some people would be worried about them where as lawred2 on the internet claims he/she knows everything and they're grand.

You mock people if they show worry for them. I hope none of them can get around vaccines but until we know more about them, why shouldn't we keep them out?

MHQ for the UK? And no exceptions? Including vaccinated people? New Zealand style? Including the border?

Because that’s the only way you keep out the variants

Great if we could but we should do all we can. Anyway NI is going to introduce a MHQ it seems so that should sort that bit out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Faugheen wrote: »
    I don't understand why you act like there is no reason to be worried about variants which potentially aren't covered by the vaccine.

It's the height of disrespect because some people would be worried about them where as lawred2 on the internet claims he/she knows everything and they're grand.

You mock people if they show worry for them. I hope none of them can get around vaccines but until we know more about them, why shouldn't we keep them out?

If Iawred2 is like myself, why would they worry about a variant of covid that doesn't exist yet.
    Every know variant is not able too evaded vaccinations, may be less efficient but all work.

ZX7R wrote: »
    If Iawred2 is like myself, why would they worry about a variant of covid that doesn't exist yet.
    Every know variant is not able too evaded vaccinations, may be less efficient but all work.

Why worry about Covid either pre 2020? It is likely that a 'bad' version will happen in places where it is out of control and high population. Let's hope the vaccines put a stop before it can happen but the news from India is worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Why worry about Covid either pre 2020? It is likely that a 'bad' version will happen in places where it is out of control and high population. Let's hope the vaccines put a stop before it can happen but the news from India is worrying.

And yet we don't have MHQ for people coming from India. This is part of the issue with the whole thing. People coming from countries doing just as well or better than us in terms.of vaccination or case numbers have to quarantine, yet India, a country getting increasingly out of control and which has a worrying variant, isn't on the list.

If MHQ was implemented in a coherent and logical way, I would still have issues with it, but at least I could understand the logic. As it stands, I just don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Faugheen wrote: »

In fairness posters from the other side of the argument have shown 'the height of disrespect' by just constantly spouting 'variant' regardless of what other nuance there is to someone's post or argument. The MHQ and it's lack of foresight was iron clad argued for by some here with no movement for anyone that could be exceptions, and now that exceptions have happened and plenty of people released from it, it's now 'oh well there was always going to be exceptions', just flowing along with whatever is said or done with no nuance or even progressive criticism. It's funny to watch actually.

Also just to be clear, I think posters from both sides of the argument have been ott and wouldn't agree with necessarily everything even sharing similar ballpark opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I m posting on before of a healthcare worker in the 70s. The online portal wont allow him to book. Does anyone know how to get register for his vaccine? Doing it through a GP hasnt been possible so far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement