Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,666 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

So a Parisian homeless person can take a flight to Dublin (€16 return) and stay in a quarantine hotel for 2 weeks for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

For those wondering what it is, the headline reads: State will pay quarantine costs for people who say they can’t afford €1,875 bill

Did you read it?
    That is not a straight forward process and there would have to be an examination around inability to pay.

“It’s not like we are accepting it.”

So a Parisian homeless person can take a flight to Dublin (€16 return) and stay in a quarantine hotel for 2 weeks for free?

:D:D:D:D

Always an angle

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 SilentGreenx32

saabsaab wrote: »
    Think about that, 4,000 variants in 1 year already.

It won't take a genius to work out that a much more virulent one will arise as this goes on unless we vaccinate to beat the band. Across the world there is more Covid than ever, evolving as we read this. It is a race. One the corona virus only has to win once and we start again, unless we get on top of it immediately by isolation quarantines and improved vaccines.

There is absolutely no guarantee that a mutation will be worse than the last

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Azatadine wrote: »
    Remember that it can't evolve indefinitely as it will lose its ability to infect. Scientists can predict potential mutations.

https://twitter.com/laoneill111/status/1383518642508234763?s=19

They can indeed

Irrelevant though, we’re running with the possibility of a variant that’s far more deadly and far more transmissible

I really think people want this to be worse than it can ever be

Lowest number of Covid-19 patients since October.
    The number of people with Covid-19 being treated in Irish hospitals is at the lowest level since early October.

As of 8am this morning there were 181 people with the virus - the lowest number since 9 October.

There were six new patients admitted to hospital with Covid-19 over the past 24 hours, while eight patients were discharged.

As of 6.30pm last evening, there were 49 patients in ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

I just got a call regarding Covid exposure from 01 771 9500. Is that a legit number or can someone tell me if it's a scam? The details they gave me weren't all correct and they wouldn't let me phone back.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,405 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Probes wrote: »
    I just got a call regarding Covid exposure from 01 771 9500. Is that a legit number or can someone tell me if it's a scam? The details they gave me weren't all correct and they wouldn't let me phone back.

ignore them

• Registered Users Posts: 18,492 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Opening up now or too soon will bring no benefits and may lose our chances to open up properly.
    This sums up a major problem in this country, far too many people who are completely dissociated from the real world effects of these lockdowns.

No benefits to opening up now? Really? Do you really think there are no benefits at all?

What about the small business owner struggling on his savings and desperately needing his business to be allowed to operate right now, for whom another month could be the difference between surviving or failing? What about the young kid hanging on by a thread for whom the new variant boogyman could finally be the thing that takes away his remaining hope and leads him to suicide? What about the young woman in her mid 30's desperate to meet a partner and start a family, do you think she would take some benefit from being allowed to start that search now?

You really don't think there might be some benefit to ending lockdowns as soon as possible as opposed to adding on months after months just in case, just for the hell of it?

This pissant country has become completely blase about lockdowns, a bunch of middle aged and middle class wankers sitting at home with their families smugly pontificating about variants and just a few more months because its all just academic to them.

I don't much believe in karma but honestly I can't ****ing wait for the economic crash to hit, I hope all these people get exactly what they deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,109 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

godzilla89 wrote: »
    Way too much crying Wolf now, India now suddenly the next country 2 weeks from disaster with a deadly new mutation that will sweep the globe after many other countries previously had the same issues, when that doesn't come to fruition in India it will be another country in 2 months, its all too much.

The next two weeks are crucial in India

Just a quick question do you genuinely not know why new variants are a concern at the moment?

I know that predictions regarding the goalposts being shifted have all turned out to be true and accurate.

Deaths are falling to the floor so now it is the variants that are "concerning" and being used to justify lockdowns, just like people said would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

This sums up a major problem in this country, far too many people who are completely dissociated from the real world effects of these lockdowns.

No benefits to opening up now? Really? Do you really think there are no benefits at all?

What about the small business owner struggling on his savings and desperately needing his business to be allowed to operate right now, for whom another month could be the difference between surviving or failing? What about the young kid hanging on by a thread for whom the new variant boogyman could finally be the thing that takes away his remaining hope and leads him to suicide? What about the young woman in her mid 30's desperate to meet a partner and start a family, do you think she would take some benefit from being allowed to start that search now?

You really don't think there might be some benefit to ending lockdowns as soon as possible as opposed to adding on months after months just in case, just for the hell of it?

This pissant country has become completely blase about lockdowns, a bunch of middle aged and middle class wankers sitting at home with their families smugly pontificating about variants and just a few more months because its all just academic to them.

I don't much believe in karma but honestly I can't ****ing wait for the economic crash to hit, I hope all these people get exactly what they deserve.

You are coming off a bit unhinged with this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Who do you think this "economic crash" is going to effect first?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

A bit? Understatement of the year. Disgraceful post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

It was OTT but their point still stands . There are a lot of people who will benefit financially if we came out of our lockdown tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

The next two weeks are crucial in India

Was talking with colleagues in India who said some pharmacies won't give the vaccination without a bribe which means the poorest people are being left behind.

It was OTT but their point still stands . There are a lot of people who will benefit financially if we came out of our lockdown tomorrow

Not if we come out of lockdown too early and cause another extended lockdown a few weeks later lasting longer into the summer as a result. We are nearly there now, we don't want to trip up at the last hurdle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Was talking with colleagues in India who said some pharmacies won't give the vaccination without a bribe which means the poorest people are being left behind.

Read that as “bride” twice and was really lost

• Advertisement

Not if we come out of lockdown too early and cause another extended lockdown a few weeks later lasting longer into the summer as a result. We are nearly there now, we don't want to trip up at the last hurdle.

#holdfirm#2moreweekstoflattenthecurve#holdthecourse#weareallinthistogether

#holdfirm#2moreweekstoflattenthecurve#holdthecourse#weareallinthistogether

You forgot to call me a sheep and tell me to "wake up".

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

When do you consider too early ? When are we going to be there ? You say we are close

• Registered Users Posts: 24,405 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Poster is not remotely coming off even a bit unhinged.

Well maybe picking out middle aged middle class people as being to blame was somewhat offside, and the bit about the economic crash, but scratching those, it was very close to the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭crossman47

That's normal stuff, happens here too, my neighbour went to get the vaccine off her GP last week and she refused AZ because her husband 71 got Pfizer and she wanted the same, GP gave in and gave her Pfizer after HSE saying people that refuse go to back off queue

I agree totally with GP though, he was right to give her what she wanted and could have saved her life

The GP probably knew she was a self entitled trouble maker and wanted rid of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

That's normal stuff, happens here too, my neighbour went to get the vaccine off her GP last week and she refused AZ because her husband 71 got Pfizer and she wanted the same, GP gave in and gave her Pfizer after HSE saying people that refuse go to back off queue

I agree totally with GP though, he was right to give her what she wanted and could have saved her life

That totally defeats the purpose of you don't get to choose what vaccine you're given

The GP was wrong

what happens if everybody refused AZ and he doens't have Pfizer to sub in?

Sure you gave it to Mary Doe

That GP is creating a bigger issue for themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

She's 69 and 10 stone overweight

He made the right call for his patient

In my GP practice anybody that overweight would have been given Pfizer or Moderna anyway

TBF that was last week before the AZ NIAC decision

GPs would be creating issues when allowing people to pick and choose

My GP has refused peoples for the reason of storing issues down the line if you allow people to choose

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

When are we there? Is it at 0 new cases? Or 90%vaccinated ?
    When do we cross this "last hurdle"?
    Because I really don't understand how anyone can decide this, we currently have one of the lowest infection rates in europe and yet remain in almost the same restrictions as when we were recording the highest in Europe. I don't see any other country anywhere that has such draconian long term restrictions as ours, for me and many others it has played havoc with my mental health.

Those with secure pensions, at or close to retirement age can be readily identified here by their dogmatic belief that lockdowns are absolutely necessary. Barely a blip on the horizon to them when cloaked in a financial comfort blanket. I'm in my mid-thirties, unemployed most of last year as a direct consequence of severe restrictions. Have to start from scratch again, losing my old man to cancer was tough enough last autumn without this misery heaped on top. And for those fanatical about saving lives, ten times the number passed from non-Covid related diseases as those "with" Covid in 2020. And you can be sure that many adherents of lockdown couldn't give a solitary damn about those tens of thousands of fatalities as they don't fit the media narrative.

Meanwhile there are 150 people hospitalised from a population of five million...we must display an "abundance of caution" pontificates Ronan Glynn, that record is stuck on loop and needs to be smashed with a sledgehammer. Half a million livelihoods sacrificed and people brought to the brink of despair, all to protect under 0.5% of the population at legitimate risk. The most heavy-handed and disproportionate response imaginable. I'd love to wring the necks (metaphorically for delicate flowers hovering over the report button) of those casually pushing for "a few months more", these same individuals should adopt the habit of blocking cemeteries if they can't accept the inevitable passing of the elderly & diseased year in and year out.

• Advertisement

Those with secure pensions, at or close to retirement age can be readily identified here by their dogmatic belief that lockdowns are absolutely necessary. Barely a blip on the horizon to them when cloaked in a financial comfort blanket. I'm in my mid-thirties, unemployed most of last year as a direct consequence of severe restrictions. Have to start from scratch again, losing my old man to cancer was tough enough last autumn without this misery heaped on top. And for those fanatical about saving lives, ten times the number passed from non-Covid related diseases as those "with" Covid in 2020. And you can be sure that many adherents of lockdown couldn't give a solitary damn about those tens of thousands of fatalities as they don't fit the media narrative.

Meanwhile there are 150 people hospitalised from a population of five million...we must display an "abundance of caution" pontificates Ronan Glynn, that record is stuck on loop and needs to be smashed with a sledgehammer. Half a million livelihoods sacrificed and people brought to the brink of despair, all to protect under 0.5% of the population at legitimate risk. The most heavy-handed and disproportionate response imaginable. I'd love to wring the necks (metaphorically for delicate flowers hovering over the report button) of those casually pushing for "a few months more", these same individuals should adopt the habit of blocking cemeteries if they can't accept the inevitable passing of the elderly & diseased year in and year out.

100% those with least to lose are the ones pushing to extended lockdowns. The veil of fake altruism is laughable. There are people right now who used to commute for two-four hours daily to work in maybe a Dublin office to pay a landlord huge money for a house they didn't chose...Now they can work from home with no commute, they have saved a fortune and they might have the option to work full time which means they can live pretty much anywhere there's broadband...They love lock down..and they are very concerned about your grandparents to the detriment of society and all others therein.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement