Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Almost everyone who wants a vaccine will take it if offered... I'd say there are very very few people honest or good enough to say "No thanks, I'll wait, its not my turn yet". I'll be very honest and say I'd jump at the chance for a needle in the arm in those situations. That said, I did get mine back in January as HCW.

If I got a call in the morning to ask if I wanted a vaccine I think I would question it
    Knowing full well that the over 70’s and high risk categories are not done I would ask why I was getting it early

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Of the 20 mortalaties reported today
    • 11 occurred in March
    • 3 occurred in February
    • 6 occurred in January
    • Median age: 73
    • Age range: 57-91

Of the 584 cases notified today
    • Male: 297
    • Female: 286
    • Under 45 years old: 420 (72%)
    • Median age: 34

We've crossed the 700,000 mark on vaccinations. These numbers are upto as far as 3 days ago., so I'm guessing we're actually closer to 750,0000 by tomorrow

Vaccination Numbers - Up to Tuesday 23rd March
    • Total doses: 709,348 (+18,899)
    • First dose: 515,800 (+12,004)
    • Second: 193,548 (+6,895)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭XsApollo

UsBus wrote: »
    What the hell are they at in Offaly..??

Making dinner for the rest of us

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

Wouldn't you think that at least one of those teachers in Bray would have had the good grace to stand up and say "No lads - it's not our turn yet. There are still folks out there more vulnerable than us that need these jabs more. Our turn will come"?

The entire Formula 1 paddock was offered vaccines by Bahrain (where the first race of the year takes place this weekend) - and, to the last mechanic, they all said no, saying "There is a queue and we are all much further down it - please give those jabs to those more vulnerable than us". -- Ok, I'm paraphrasing there but that was the gist of the statement.

And yet our entitled teachers in Bray probably clawed over each other to get onto the minibus going to the Beacon.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

Almost everyone who wants a vaccine will take it if offered... I'd say there are very very few people honest or good enough to say "No thanks, I'll wait, its not my turn yet". I'll be very honest and say I'd jump at the chance for a needle in the arm in those situations. That said, I did get mine back in January as HCW.

The entire Formula 1 paddock refused jabs last week. See my previous post above.

Much as I'd love to get a vaccine right away, I would not jump over an elderly or sick person to get one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Wouldn't you think that at least one of those teachers in Bray would have had the good grace to stand up and say "No lads - it's not our turn yet. There are still folks out there more vulnerable than us that need these jabs more. Our turn will come"?
    The entire Formula 1 paddock refused jabs last week. See my previous post above.

Much as I'd love to get a vaccine right away, I would not jump over an elderly or sick person to get one.

Mod:

Let's move on now, there's a seperate thread to discuss this as per my mod note
    Necro wrote: »
    Mod:

There's a seperate thread for discussion of the private school teachers, let's not duplicate that discussion here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058172239

I'll have to start handing out cards if this isn't adhered to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Of the 7530 cases in the last 14 days 4,891 was in 5 counties (Dublin, Offaly,Kildare,Meath, Donegal)

The works out as 2,639 for the other 21 counties over the last two weeks. An average of 188 cases per day.

If it continues that way regional restrictions will have to be looked at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Of the 20 mortalaties reported today
    • 11 occurred in March
    Are these still coming from the shamefully high numbers in January?

What is the average length of stay in ICU with this bástard virus?

I ask because there must be something in the reports saying the Kent variant has a much higher mortality rate. Whereas earlier reports said it was just more contagious

As we near April, we shouldn't be seeing this level of mortalaties every day surely. I thought we'd be at an average of 5 and below by now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Normal One wrote: »
    If the vaccines are property of the state (or HSE or whomever) then Mr CEO should be done for theft.

New york tried bringing in that rules and it ended with up with rubbish bins full of wasted vaccines.

They reversed it very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Of the 7530 cases in the last 14 days 4,891 was in 5 counties (Dublin, Offaly,Kildare,Meath, Donegal)

The works out as 2,639 for the other 21 counties over the last two weeks. An average of 188 cases per day.

If it continues that way regional restrictions will have to be looked at.

If that happens I am emigrating to Kerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

If that happens I am emigrating to Kerry.
    Is Kerry not preferable to all of the counties in that list anyway (bar, perhaps, Donegal)?

• Site Banned Posts: 59 ✭✭Tredstone.

Pfizer staff off would affect vaccines output

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Here's the age groups weighted for population seven day average. What's interesting about the most recent week is.
    • the school going groups increasing
    • the older age groups aren't increasing
    • the age groups most likely to be parents are also increasing

Of course correlation is not causation and you can't say either way what's going on.

548279.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

rusty cole wrote: »
    https://www.axios.com/wuhan-lab-coronavirus-cdc-director-c599cf7b-9e30-4314-909b-a9bdac28ead6.html

so this EX CDC head thinks this was indeed designed and "escaped"
    is_that_so wrote: »
    It also quickly states he has nothing but an opinion. Man has form in making things up.

In fairness, he was CDC chief. And CNN today, noted that it wasn't just the Trump administration that had this suspicion, Biden camp having same suspicions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Here's the age groups weighted for population seven day average. What's interesting about the most recent week is.
    • the school going groups increasing
    • the older age groups aren't increasing
    • the age groups most likely to be parents are also increasing

Of course correlation is not causation and you can't say either way what's going on.

548279.png

So all the the talk about workplace outbreaks and mobility being higher and causing higher cases doesn't seem to show that.
    Unless we're all locked down and it's kids out working etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

How many back office finance and admin staff have got the jab so far? They also didn't seem to consider the many vulnerable people who haven't had a jab, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭seenitall

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    If I got a call in the morning to ask if I wanted a vaccine I think I would question it
    Knowing full well that the over 70’s and high risk categories are not done I would ask why I was getting it early

I was offered a vaccine a couple of weeks ago and refused it. I’m not too enamoured of the idea of getting an AZ jab (on account of being a female, and in the problematic age group for it, going by the latest findings about it) and also I am pretty certain I had C-19 last year and my body dealt with it fine. So it was balancing the risks and probabilities with me, and that’s the side I came down on with my decision, and I’m happy with it.

I was offered it because my work takes me to the hospital settings on occasion - however it would be arguable if I should be considered to be in the same cohort as the healthcare workers proper. Honestly, I wouldn’t say so, myself.

I’d be happy to get the jab at a given time in future when one will hopefully be in a position to choose which jab to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Meat plants!

Genuine question, how many people are actually employed in meat factories in Ireland? Posters have been attributing cases to meat factories for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

In fairness, he was CDC chief. And CNN today, noted that it wasn't just the Trump administration that had this suspicion, Biden camp having same suspicions.

In fairness it costs the US nothing to suggest that it might be an escaped lab experiment and it helps a lot with their them vs us propaganda when it comes to China.

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Genuine question, how many people are actually employed in meat factories in Ireland? Posters have been attributing cases to meat factories for months.

I'd have assumed they would have reached herd immunity by now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

You'll need reliable source information for that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭boardise

Can we really say that though ?
    We don't know how the issue was presented to them and there was a diminishing time window. For all we know some might have demurred and been told-use it or waste it.
    I think it's a little unreasonable to try to apportion blame to the teachers at this remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

15000, according to MII

https://meatindustryireland.ie/Sectors/MII/MII.nsf/vPages/Meat_sector~importance-of-meat-sector!OpenDocument

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Messi19

In fairness it costs the US nothing to suggest that it might be an escaped lab experiment and it helps a lot with their them vs us propaganda when it comes to China.

It's not that unbelievable a suggestion that it may have come from a lab but we'll probably never know anyway. It's not like China would just put their hands up and say yeah sorry about that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭seenitall

Steve012 wrote: »
    Be careful, with any of them if your trying for child. Should be ok, there's info out there already on fertility.

Ah no, I’d be ok on that front, thank you though! :)

The latest on the problem with the AZ is the link to the hormonal factor in women (HRT, contraceptives, the menopause itself...) and this is my cohort of the moment, as it were.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

timmyntc wrote: »
    Vulnerable & those with underlying conditions make up ~60% of hospital admissions (data up to end of year 2020) link here...

Delighted youre getting to use that HSPC link a bit more ;)

Looks like the landscape with regard to covid and underlying conditions has changed since December.

Btw the data from the link above is not up to the end of year rather up to midnight on the 12/12/2020

A new report shows a fairly dramatic
    change to that figure tbh

From 63.3% of patients in hospital with confirmed COVID-19 having an underlying condition up to the 12/12/20 to 73.1% of Covid-19 patients in hospital up to January 2021 having no underlying condition.
    Almost 75% of all Covid-19 patients in Ireland had no underlying conditions

New data shows almost three-quarters of all Covid-19 patients in Ireland had no underlying conditions, up from just over half by December.

The data, collected by the Health Protection Surveillance Centre, shows 73.1% of Covid-19 patients to January 31 had no chronic illness. Up to December, this figure was 58%.

People with an underlying condition make up 14.4% of the total now, and another 12.5% are unknown or unreported.

The HPSC does not say what caused this change.

One significant difference in the Irish Covid-19 landscape compared to December is the spread of the more transmissible UK B117 variant. In early January, this was being found in one in four cases, and continued to spread...

It is now at 91% and is referred to as the dominant strain by Nphet.

The information is contained in a HSPC Report
    For cases up to 31st January 2021 and which remains to be published

For more details. See:
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40237760.html

Vaccinations given from when vaccinations first started on the 29 December 2020
    up to and including the 31st of January equaled 199,800 doses.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/covid-vaccine-tracker-almost-200000-doses-given-in-ireland-1073811.html

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

Pfizer’s themselves vaccinated all their staff globally as far as I’m aware.

Isn’t that just as questionable as teachers in contact with a hundred students a week?

No. No it isn’t at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

My cousin 31 has been called for his vaccine next week. He had bad asthma as a child, not so much now. They must be getting through group 4 fast enough if he's been called.

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    My cousin 31 has been called for his vaccine next week. He had bad asthma as a child, not so much now. They must be getting through group 4 fast enough if he's been called.

I think they are only planning on vaccinating 20000 of cohort 4 next week, far from flying thought them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

Tyrone212 wrote: »

Jaysus-that has to be a mistake or an anomaly! You sure he doesn’t have a connection to a CEO of a private hospital?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement