Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

Those with secure pensions, at or close to retirement age can be readily identified here by their dogmatic belief that lockdowns are absolutely necessary. Barely a blip on the horizon to them when cloaked in a financial comfort blanket. I'm in my mid-thirties, unemployed most of last year as a direct consequence of severe restrictions. Have to start from scratch again, losing my old man to cancer was tough enough last autumn without this misery heaped on top. And for those fanatical about saving lives, ten times the number passed from non-Covid related diseases as those "with" Covid in 2020. And you can be sure that many adherents of lockdown couldn't give a solitary damn about those tens of thousands of fatalities as they don't fit the media narrative.

Meanwhile there are 150 people hospitalised from a population of five million...we must display an "abundance of caution" pontificates Ronan Glynn, that record is stuck on loop and needs to be smashed with a sledgehammer. Half a million livelihoods sacrificed and people brought to the brink of despair, all to protect under 0.5% of the population at legitimate risk. The most heavy-handed and disproportionate response imaginable. I'd love to wring the necks (metaphorically for delicate flowers hovering over the report button) of those casually pushing for "a few months more", these same individuals should adopt the habit of blocking cemeteries if they can't accept the inevitable passing of the elderly & diseased year in and year out.

excellent post, I agree with all of it.
    I've said this all along, there are more ways to die than Covid. Yet the only death that matters now is Covid. Its the gold star death. Forget cancer, suicide, stroke and heart disease. People die from these in their thousands every single year. Yet they don't get a look in, they're never mentioned.

Death is part of life, we all need to toughen up and face this! Living comes with a risk of dying. Life isn't perfect. But right now we are not being allowed to live because our politicians WANT perfect. They want no cases of Covid and no death from Covid!! To hell with everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,109 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

And for those fanatical about saving lives, ten times the number passed from non-Covid related diseases as those "with" Covid in 2020. And you can be sure that many adherents of lockdown couldn't give a solitary damn about those tens of thousands of fatalities as they don't fit the media narrative.

On that point, one of our leading coroners is reported as saying that the Covid death count in Ireland has no scientific basis and is vastly over counted.

https://twitter.com/paddymacc1/status/1383719261143670784

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭FrankN1

When are they hoping to have the 65-69 group first jab completed?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

FrankN1 wrote: »

End of may apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

excellent post, I agree with all of it.
    I've said this all along, there are more ways to die than Covid. Yet the only death that matters now is Covid. Its the gold star death. Forget cancer, suicide, stroke and heart disease. People die from these in their thousands every single year. Yet they don't get a look in, they're never mentioned.

Death is part of life, we all need to toughen up and face this! Living comes with a risk of dying. Life isn't perfect. But right now we are not being allowed to live because our politicians WANT perfect. They want no cases of Covid and no death from Covid!! To hell with everything else.

You're ignoring the science, they are keeping us in level 5 lockdown so that we may not need to go into level 5 lockdown at some future date. This works, its proven that by staying in the highest state of lockdown you invariably reduce the liklihood of needing to enter the highest state of lockdown at some time in the future.

• Advertisement

RGS wrote: »
    End of may apparently.

That's really slow? Didn't they say 80pc of people all have the first jab by the end of June. At that rate only half of those over 60 will have it by the end of June.

Those with secure pensions, at or close to retirement age can be readily identified here by their dogmatic belief that lockdowns are absolutely necessary. Barely a blip on the horizon to them when cloaked in a financial comfort blanket. I'm in my mid-thirties, unemployed most of last year as a direct consequence of severe restrictions. Have to start from scratch again, losing my old man to cancer was tough enough last autumn without this misery heaped on top. And for those fanatical about saving lives, ten times the number passed from non-Covid related diseases as those "with" Covid in 2020. And you can be sure that many adherents of lockdown couldn't give a solitary damn about those tens of thousands of fatalities as they don't fit the media narrative.

Meanwhile there are 150 people hospitalised from a population of five million...we must display an "abundance of caution" pontificates Ronan Glynn, that record is stuck on loop and needs to be smashed with a sledgehammer. Half a million livelihoods sacrificed and people brought to the brink of despair, all to protect under 0.5% of the population at legitimate risk. The most heavy-handed and disproportionate response imaginable. I'd love to wring the necks (metaphorically for delicate flowers hovering over the report button) of those casually pushing for "a few months more", these same individuals should adopt the habit of blocking cemeteries if they can't accept the inevitable passing of the elderly & diseased year in and year out.

Well said. I'm lucky, I haven't really been affected, I'm financially better off than I've ever been but I can see the destruction it's causing to others. I know people who've built businesses and worked their whole lives who will never recover economically, it's a disgrace what's been done to them

That's really slow? Didn't they say 80pc of people all have the first jab by the end of June. At that rate only half of those over 60 will have it by the end of June.

No, they said 80% will have been offered an appointment by the end of June
    Its "politician speak"
    Otherwise known as "take a punt"
    If they fail miserably, they just send out appointment offers for future dates before the end of June
    However, based on eu delivery projections it is still looking likely to be close to that date that 80% will indeed have received their first jab

corkonion wrote: »
    No, they said 80% will have been offered an appointment by the end of June
    Its "politician speak"
    Otherwise known as "take a punt"
    If they fail miserably, they just send out appointment offers for future dates before the end of June
    However, based on eu delivery projections it is still looking likely to be close to that date that 80% will indeed have received their first jab

For the Astra Zenica jab, it's it 12 weeks before you get the 2nd one. Does that mean that the person who gets it should keep up the current restrictions of not seeing family indoors until that time to be fully safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Given over 60s are getting AZ, it's possible they will simultaneously be vaccinating using pfizer for under 60s before end of May also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

For the Astra Zenica jab, it's it 12 weeks before you get the 2nd one. Does that mean that the person who gets it should keep up the current restrictions of not seeing family indoors until that time to be fully safe?

Absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

godzilla89 wrote: »
    We are fixing one problem with the virus and creating other problems in non vulnerable

Did you also look at the chances of mortality with vaccination compared to covid 19?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

It does seem pretty slow, seeing as all the AstraZeneca vaccines are being used on this group. I would’ve thought whilst vaccines for other groups would slow down given that AZ is not going to be used now, they could lash through this one particular group.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

That's it precisely. Follow restrictions until fully vaccinated and then follow the protocols for the fully vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Russman

Firstly, BH, you have my sympathies on the loss of your dad and on the job situation, I genuinely mean that.

But it’s quite possible for people to have a different opinion to you and not be in secure employment or with a secure pension. I know people who have lost jobs who still think we did what was necessary, likewise I know people safely working from home who think the whole thing is overblown. It’s just way too simplistic and sweeping an argument you’re making, with respect.

What about all the non covid healthcare that had to be cancelled in January and February ? Fewer restrictions would have only made our hospital situation worse. Are these all potential casualties just to be accepted so people don’t lose jobs ? It’s not all about deaths, and never really was anyway.
    Nobody likes or wants restrictions. You think someone securely earning whatever amount doesn’t miss their friends/family or their workplace or pastime, but thinks it’s all ok because sure they can save a bit ? no way, I don’t buy that for a second. By the same token I don’t believe for a second that the likes of Glynn or any medical professionals make decisions and have a thought process of “sure it doesn’t impact me”, they’re largely above that line of thinking imo.
    Of course it has impacted some way more than others, but it’s a one in probably a hundred year event we’re living through, we didn’t have the option of ticking the opt out of global pandemic box.
    Govt only ever had sh1t or really sh1t choices. Please God the vaccine rollout means we’ll hopefully not have to do any of that again.

You can keep up the restrictions as long as you want, personally I'm grabbing every freedom and opportunity as it arises

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭gipi

RGS wrote: »
    End of may apparently.

I thought that they hoped to have the 60+ first jab completed by end of May, not 65+?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

gipi wrote: »
    I thought that they hoped to have the 60+ first jab completed by end of May, not 65+?

Yes , I re wound the news last night to double check and he said 60 and over by end of may

• Registered Users Posts: 18,492 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I know people who've built businesses and worked their whole lives who will never recover economically, it's a disgrace what's been done to them

And then somebody comes along and says that there would be no benefit to opening up now rather than later.

The disconnect from these people is astounding, and then you consider that they and their ilk are the ones making the decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

We are only 6 weeks away from June, things likely to get much from then on. Public Health need to have proper surveillance and public health interventions to prevent further lockdowns/ the threat of new variants. That's going to be something that every country will need going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

gipi wrote: »

Over 60 1 jab by end of May.

It's a parallel rollout so there's no waiting for one group to finish before starting another.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

And then somebody comes along and says that there would be no benefit to opening up now rather than later.

The disconnect from these people is astounding, and then you consider that they and their ilk are the ones making the decisions.

I was speaking to a relative who's a nurse in Southport in the UK this morning. Southport was rammed this weekend apparently, and the surrounding hospitals are filling up again.

Right now it appears it's still a bit soon to open up fully. We should learn from others mistakes instead of making our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

wadacrack wrote: »
    We are only 6 weeks away from June, things likely to get much from then on. Public Health need to have proper surveillance and public health interventions to prevent further lockdowns/ the threat of new variants. That's going to be something that every country will need going forward.

I think I saw an article say mid June for outside pubs and July for indoors....I don’t have all the data/facts in front of me but I think we are head and shoulders stricter than most EU....Belgium for example is opening outdoor terraces again in a few weeks and they certainly have done aswell as or being in lockdown since essentially last October....Anyway not much we can do...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Speedline wrote: »
    I was speaking to a relative who's a nurse in Southport in the UK this morning. Southport was rammed this weekend apparently, and the surrounding hospitals are filling up again.

Right now it appears it's still a bit soon to open up fully. We should learn from others mistakes instead of making our own.

I think you are dead right and I don’t think most people are suggesting opening up 100% just yet...However it looks like July before we hit level 3? Pubs/Restaurants open like indoors?! How do you feel about that?! That feels like the other extreme to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Not sure if this was posted yet but the Mail on Sunday has a bit on when restrictions will be eased.

https://twitter.com/leeofthemail/status/1383705532645601281

KoU9JQ9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭alentejo

Speedline wrote: »

I think UK Hosp admissions are still falling (or flat)

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/uk-daily-covid-admissions

Some craic when you consider a few weeks ago germany and most of europe said the efficacy of AZ in trials over 65 just wasnt there due to low numbers. Even before the thrombosis the trial numbers were weak at best, hence no AZ in the over 70s anyway. Now cut to a few weeks later and Denmark are shot of AZ and most of europe wont give it to younger cohorts. So what do we do?? Push it on the very group who its least studied in..why, cos we paid in advance...joke.

I think you are dead right and I don’t think most people are suggesting opening up 100% just yet...However it looks like July before we hit level 3? Pubs/Restaurants open like indoors?! How do you feel about that?! That feels like the other extreme to me...

So long as they get the required percentage of the population vaccinated (whatever that percentage is), then open up. And monitor the situation. That's just my view.

alentejo wrote: »
    I think UK Hosp admissions are still falling (or flat)

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/uk-daily-covid-admissions

I can only relay what I was told this morning by an actual nurse in a UK hospital.

• Advertisement

I'm 60, the portal should be open within next two days for me to sign up. Will take my chances with AZ, get on with living if I survive it :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement