Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭giveitholly

saabsaab wrote: »
    Might need them for travel anyway and what if no others are open.

Yeah will want them for international travel,that I understand,but to go to the pub,cinema get a haircut,no thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Vaccine passports to get into a pub? Will get a vaccine but won't be supporting any business that requires a passport to enter?

Fully agree. Outrageous. But if I have my vaccine and them is the rules, I'll be in that pub as soon as :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    August for pubs or hotels

Wow that's a bleak prediction

Ignore that. Some utterly moronic posts

• Registered Users Posts: 38,589 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

KrustyUCC wrote:
    August for pubs or hotels

Wow that's a bleak prediction
    What's bleak about that? Seems like a positive post to me.
    It's only 16 or so weeks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

eagle eye wrote: »
    August would be to late for a lot hotels and pubs especially those depending on summer trade. A lot just wouldn’t bother opening for 4 weeks of summer trade and stay closed permanently.
    Hotels need to be opened in June even if it’s just residents only and outdoor for pubs and restaurants .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Vaccine passports to get into a pub? Will get a vaccine but won't be supporting any business that requires a passport to enter?
    It's really not how it's going to work at all. Judging by our keenness to have the vaccine passports deferred till September we are viewing it as a travel option only even if the idea of stopping people doing things excites Donnelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

What about gyms/swimming pools folks? Are they in the category of pubs??!

I know nobody has the answer to the above - just looking for some thoughts please!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

179 in hospitals this morning, down from 181 yesterday morning.

Nice to see two drops in hospital numbers over the weekend!

What about gyms/swimming pools folks? Are they in the category of pubs??!

I know nobody has the answer to the above - just looking for some thoughts please!
    They will probably open in May or June at the very latest and they have systems in place from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

is_that_so wrote: »
    They will probably open in May or June at the very latest and they have systems in place from last year.

Interesting - I thought they might have been in relatively similar category to pubs but hope you are right :)

• Advertisement

Interesting - I thought they might have been in relatively similar category to pubs but hope you are right :)
    Thread and chat on it here.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058125208

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Wonder will India be added to MHQ here soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I don't know if time has been distorted for some in this covid world but 16 weeks is a long time. I think we have been so used to waiting long periods for things to change and easing of restrictions that 3 months is fine for some to wait for things, while for others is a living nightmare to imagine doing so, with almost no appreciation of that from the former. This 'sure if I can do it, you can do it' stuff.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Any decisions on it are always preceded by a game of spin the wheel in the DoH!

is_that_so wrote: »
    Any decisions on it are always preceded by a game of spin the wheel in the DoH!

Johnson cancelled a trip there. Maybe they will wait for UK to put them on theirs and follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Who knows but firstly the VUI doesn't share the deletion of other VOC. Secondly there are thousands of variants, we need to get away from the jumping up and down panic each time one gets highlighted. Staines et al peddling straight away the vaccine is resistant waffle without a shred of evidence.

Finally, I work with a few Indian people and 1 of them went home there before Christmas for family reasons. He said it was basically normal life over there, just had to wear a mask, everywhere open, events running, big weddings, places packed.

It's no surprise the cases took off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

All hospitality being shut for at least seven months of the year is bleak to me

Huge cost to the economy and many businesses wouldn't reopen

Each to their own though

Who knows but firstly the VUI doesn't share the deletion of other VOC. Secondly there are thousands of variants, we need to get away from the jumping up and down panic each time one gets highlighted. Staines et al peddling straight away the vaccine is resistant waffle without a shared of evidence.

Finally, I work with a few Indian people and 1 of them went home there before Christmas for family reasons. He said it was basically normal life over there, just had to wear a mask, everywhere open, events running, big weddings, places packed.

It's no surprise the cases took off.

Think its more the high daily case numbers than the variant at this point being an issue. Yeah politicians still holding packed public rallies lately too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Think its more the high daily case numbers than the variant at this point being an issue. Yeah politicians still holding packed public rallies lately too.

Plus mass gathering at religious festivals

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

If high case numbers was the actual reason for MHQ then places like Germany and Poland would already be in it.
    It's a mix of that, variants, which state can we poke without getting bitten too much, randomness and also countries with too many irish citizen are out of the list because otherwise they would fill up the hotels too soon.

• Advertisement

are you on crack?? seems positive to you.
    If a person is being water boarded then two minutes of breath seems positive then does it? it's the end of the summer season and all the months are gone.

muddypuppy wrote: »
    If high case numbers was the actual reason for MHQ then places like Germany and Poland would already be in it.
    It's a mix of that, variants, which state can we poke without getting bitten too much, randomness and also countries with too many irish citizen are out of the list because otherwise they would fill up the hotels too soon.

Well yeah its a combination. Guess difference in disease surveillance system between EU countries and non EU countries may play a factor too but not all non EU countries the same either. More down to resources really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,492 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

rusty cole wrote: »
    are you on crack?? seems positive to you.
    If a person is being water boarded then two minutes of breath seems positive then does it? it's the end of the summer season and all the months are gone.

I find it crazy to see people with those attitudes.

"Its only 16 weeks, thats not so bad".

16 weeks, 4 months of our lives, dismissed off hand as unimportant. These are now just numbers to a lot of people, totally disconnected from the pesky fact that a lot of other people are actually suffering and for whom a continuance of this farce is actually really damaging.

It used to be a seriously big deal to lockdown for 2 weeks, remember 2 weeks to flatten the curve! Now people throw around months as if it is no time at all, because they have completely lost touch with the pesky fact that there are real people affected by all of this.

16 weeks, 4 months of our lives, dismissed off hand as unimportant. These are now just numbers to a lot of people, totally disconnected from the pesky fact that a lot of other people are actually suffering and for whom a continuance of this farce is actually really damaging.

It used to be a seriously big deal to lockdown for 2 weeks, remember 2 weeks to flatten the curve! Now people throw around months as if it is no time at all, because they have completely lost touch with the pesky fact that there are real people affected by all of this.

Agreed. Too many people are completely comfortable with how things are now. I always thought that the concept of a ‘new normal’ was just conspiracy chat, but it’s becoming obvious that a large segment of the population are happy with their lot, and don’t care that others are struggling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

yeah some people actually do have that demented attitude where they see now 2-6 months as sure what tis time holdfirm tankeconomy staysafe.

a sure it's positive news that you're on the dole for only another 16 weeks mate!
    There are folks out there in two bedroom apartments through no fault of their own (thank the banks) and they're trying to stay sane themselves whilst maybe entertain one child and feed a new born baby in the same room. All this whilst being out of work, having the land lord/Bank chase them for rent/mortgage
    while they worry about the JOB they used to have and if it will ever open again.

16 weeks is nothing when you're a trust funder suckling on mammy teet typing on your apple mac in your Y fronts and hounds-tooth blazer, on Daddy warbucks green acres!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

16 weeks is nothing when you're a trust funder suckling on mammy teet typing on your apple mac in your Y fronts and hounds-tooth blazer, on Daddy warbucks green acres!

(enters forum after a while away)

(quickly backs out again)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

rusty cole wrote:

There's a lot more going on for you than the covid thing. Isn't there?

(enters forum after a while away)

(quickly backs out again)

so let me get this straight, point of view is dependent on my ability to be here all the time? and if and when I post, I have to run it by you? wtf?
    Did that touch a nerve with you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

EHHHHH??

They might think you've lost the plot?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement