Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,492 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

rusty cole wrote: »
    a sure it's positive news that you're on the dole for only another 16 weeks mate!

Just seen a headline of Pascal Donoghue saying 70,000 people left unemployed will be back in work by the end of the year.

Just consider that. Ignoring for now the pesky fact that it is only a faction of the 400000+ people out of work, just look at the kite flying "end of the year" part of the statement.

Why is it the end of the year before people can get back to work? Because they are not going to allow them to go back sooner than that? So that is another 8 months? Or even longer for the other 330000 people who lost their jobs?

Stheno wrote: »
    They might think you've lost the plot?

:D:D:D No not at all, I don't have to justify a rant every now and again , it's just FFS, 16 weeks and normalizing or should I say "new normalising" of it, is shocking to many but acceptable to sum, or maybe vice versa I dont know at t is stage.

Did I come off like Nicholson in witches of Eastwick just then??
    Unhinged!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

a sure it's positive news that you're on the dole for only another 16 weeks mate!

Its better than the dole for many though. Had a landscaper round the gaff the other day and he has a massive backlog of work to get through because young lads just unwilling to work for him when they can get 350 into pocket every week no questioned asked.

Hairdressers are another one...all getting the 350 and then fully booked up doing nixers on the side.

Only two examples there but this lockdown suits WAY WAY more people in society than you would think.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Did I come off like Nicholson in witches of Eastwick just then??
    Unhinged!

A bit lol.

I agree with you tbh, I wfh and haven't been impacted financially, but Christ its frustrating as hell being on calls with colleagues in other countries going on holidays, eating out etc

Another 16 weeks doesn't bear thinking about

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

My comment was a bit flippant, I agree, but holy hell there's a fair amount of content in this forum that's better suited to Conspiracy Theories.

I honestly don't have the energy to engage and debate with posters who think that NPHET want to keep us enslaved for years, or that politicians genuinely enjoy the suffering we're all going through.

My household has been impacted financially, WFH is torture at this point, but I have to keep a realistic viewpoint that is rational and sane, and not seek to blame the consequences of a virus that doesn't care who's impacted lightly or harshly.

Pity, there's a lot of genuinely informative posters in here, but they're being drowned out.

(bows gracefully)

• Advertisement

My comment was a bit flippant, I agree, but holy hell there's a fair amount of content in this forum that's better suited to Conspiracy Theories.

I honestly don't have the energy to engage and debate with posters who think that NPHET want to keep us enslaved for years, or that politicians genuinely enjoy the suffering we're all going through.

My household has been impacted financially, WFH is torture at this point, but I have to keep a realistic viewpoint that is rational and sane, and not seek to blame the consequences of a virus that doesn't care who's impacted lightly or harshly.

Pity, there's a lot of genuinely informative posters in here, but they're being drowned out.

(bows gracefully)

apologies for ranting at you directly if that's how it seemed, I'm also frustrated but not quite yet fit for conspiracy theory fodder, not yet anyway. ;)

lets move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Positive Swabs

Positivity Rate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Agreed. Too many people are completely comfortable with how things are now. I always thought that the concept of a ‘new normal’ was just conspiracy chat, but it’s becoming obvious that a large segment of the population are happy with their lot, and don’t care that others are struggling

Not sure people are comfortable with it - I am certainly not but I don't see what I can practically do? Other than complain about it I don't see much I can do about? I'd love to have a voice/a vote but doesn't work like that....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

UK adds India to MHQ. Announcement here could follow soon.

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1384156505495150595

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Sunday - 397 positive swabs, 2.74% positivity on 14,491 tests
    Monday - 364 positive swabs, 3.04% positivity on 11,962 tests

7 day - 2.7%

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »
    UK adds India to MHQ. Announcement here could follow soon.

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1384156505495150595

No brainer for the UK given the case numbers in India. As for us, we've feck all capacity as it is, do many arrive in weekly from India, it'll be based on that. Wouldn't be a shock to see a few countries removed to make room for India.

It does annoy me though that the UK and ourselves jump on this variant only after it gets media attention, this despite their case numbers being too high to start with for the last few weeks, so Israel went on our list but India didn't based purely on case numbers , utter nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sunday - 397 positive swabs, 2.74% positivity on 14,491 tests
    Monday - 364 positive swabs, 3.04% positivity on 11,962 tests

7 day - 2.7%

Not great, but not terrible either. Could easily be the Easter effect, but still staying stable overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Sizeable difference between swabs and cases yesterday

Might be a bit added onto today's figures now

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

How can positive swabs and positive cases be different? Not arguing with anyone...genuinely curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,093 ✭✭✭pauldry

Only natural it will go back up a bit with people now in groups once more and schools. Hope it never goes back into the thousands again though worrying that positive percentage.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

Kiith wrote: »
    How can positive swabs and positive cases be different? Not arguing with anyone...genuinely curious.

because the metrics is not positive cases but "new positive cases".
    So any people covid+ that are retested a few days later and still positive is a positive swab but not a new case

zebastein wrote: »
    because the metrics is not positive cases but "new positive cases".
    So any people covid+ that are retested a few days later and still positive is a positive swab but not a new case

That's not how it works at all.

Swabs v cases have differed throughout, some days close enough other days a bit of a difference that's consolidated over the next 24-48hrs.

It's to do with how a case is reported and the process of notification of a swab from HSE to HPSC to Dept of Health

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

pauldry wrote: »
    Only natural it will go back up a bit with people now in groups once more and schools. Hope it never goes back into the thousands again though worrying that positive percentage.

As the roll out takes effect it should reduce significantly. When is the big question. My quess is late May.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

seamus wrote: »
    Not great, but not terrible either. Could easily be the Easter effect, but still staying stable overall.

What you'll start to see from now onwards is the schools effect.

Swabs v cases have differed throughout, some days close enough other days a bit of a difference that's consolidated over the next 24-48hrs.

It's to do with how a case is reported and the process of notification of a swab from HSE to HPSC to Dept of Health

What you describe is the delay that explains the variation from one day to another.

But do you reckon that eventually the sum of positive swabs would be equal to the sum of positive cases ? What happens to someone who tests 3times positive the same week, it is considered as 3 cases ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

JP100 wrote: »

Or... maybe the building sites, easter weekend, sunny weather BBQ effect... or maybe a combination of all these minor changes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭political analyst

According to The Times (UK), Mayo coroner Patrick O'Connor, who acts as public info officer for the Coroners Society of Ireland, claims that the figures given by NPHET for Covid deaths have no scientific basis because recording Covid-19 as the principal cause of death when a person was already terminally ill raised questions about the accuracy of the figures.

Why would doctors record the cause of the death of a patient who has a terminal condition as Covid even if the patient would have lived only for a few more months at most if the pandemic had not happened?

JP100 wrote: »
    We've had a run of fine weather now (certainly in the East at least). I would be of the opinion that this is going a long way towards keeping the numbers down and will continue to do so.

People are back in the groove, schools-wise, so there's no "extra" exposure now taking place. And with teenagers all fully back in school, the amount of household mixing will be lower now than it was before Easter.

Why would doctors record the cause of the death of a patient who has a terminal condition as Covid even if the patient would have lived only for a few more months at most if the pandemic had not happened?
    Because you record what actually killed them, not what might have.

If someone with terminal cancer is hit by a bus, you don't say they died of terminal cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

But a cue for a concern speech!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

According to The Times (UK), Mayo coroner Patrick O'Connor, who acts as public info officer for the Coroners Society of Ireland, claims that the figures given by NPHET for Covid deaths have no scientific basis because recording Covid-19 as the principal cause of death when a person was already terminally ill raised questions about the accuracy of the figures.

Someone with a terminal condition gets shot in the head? Do we neglect the head shot because they were going to die anyway.

To be more blunt. Everyone has a terminal condition. If covid, stroke, a fall, gunshot, heartattack, food poisoning etc exacerbates that you record it.

https://covid19.shanehastings.eu/api/swabs/

There are 1038 less cases than positive swabs over the last 31days (~6% of positive swabs do not convert into a positive case), so please explain the difference if that is not how it works at all and why the numbers differ at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

because that's what killed them?

If they got hit with a car, should we record them as " wasn't a car per se, sure they were gonna plop their clogs because of "X" in a few months anyway, we'll stick it down as that"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

We will all be dead in 100 years. So why count it as Covid if we going to die anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Because you record what actually killed them, not what might have.

If someone with terminal cancer is hit by a bus, you don't say they died of terminal cancer.

Thats all well and good - but to use a fatality rate for the general population that includes many terminally ill people is fairly disingenuous.

The current fatality rate of covid is what? 2% of cases?
    How many of those people were terminally ill? Because that skews the figures and greatly exaggerates the risk of death to people who are not terminally ill.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement